Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 02-07-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I'm going to be completely honest with the doctor. I've been drinking too much for about 5 years, but things have gotten really bad in the last 2 years. I'm really looking forward to being sober.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Grab something to eat Rusty Banjo...I always feel less like drinking if my stomach is full.
Thanks Jeni - I just BBQ'd a steak, ate a bunch of potato chips, and am drinking a cherry coke zero. Can't say its the most healthy snack, but no alcohol.

And hang in there. I really appreciate your posts.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Welcome Sansa! I was honest with my Dr a couple of years ago when I realized I had become an alcoholic and wanted to get sober. She did bloodwork to check liver, etc and scheduled a follow up appt. Just be honest and it will feel like a weight has been lifted.

How is everyone doing this evening? I felt strong all day - a bit irritable, but no cravings - until just now. It's just that time of day when I would I usually start drinking and the hype of the SB, etc. Luckily the liquor stores closed at 5 so I am safe. Will be very grateful tomorrow morning waking up to Day 3.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Welcome cloudstrife and sansa
Jeni- Having had so much sober time, I think you know that with more sober time, your confidence will build again. We are just so raw emotionally in the beginning, I totally can relate. One day at at time. You've done it before, you can and will do it again.
Camryn, So proud of you for not buying the booze after driving all that way. I have escaped cravings by telling myself I will drink tomorrow or another day soon as well. I know it may not be the best way to go about it, but I think in these early days we just need to do what we have to do to get through it.
Ladybug, we are so similar. I read your post a few days ago about how your husband being away is a huge trigger for you to drink. I am the same, except with my kids rather than a husband. I stopped drinking at home in front of my daughters a few years ago. I will drink in front of them if we have company or if it's a social situation, but that's pretty rare. So what that means is almost all of my drinking is done in my bedroom, hiding it. So when I have the house to myself, feel like its' some grand "opportunity" to drink out in the open. That's what happened Friday night and then I just continued yesterday. We both know for sure how much better our lives are without it, I think at this point it may be a matter of acceptance.

While I wasn't dreadfully hungover today, I can feel the effects of alcohol most definitely. I seriously never want to feel like this again. Drinking just doesn't work for me anymore. Whatever relief or pleasure I think I get from finally "allowing" myself to drink, is not worth all the negative effects or the endless possibilities of what awful things could (and will) happen eventually if I let it continue.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  
Administrator

While I wasn't dreadfully hungover today, I can feel the effects of alcohol most definitely. I seriously never want to feel like this again. Drinking just doesn't work for me anymore. Whatever relief or pleasure I think I get from finally "allowing" myself to drink, is not worth all the negative effects or the endless possibilities of what awful things could (and will) happen eventually if I let it continue.
I really urge you to put some action behind this FABL - make some changes. It really is true you never have to feel this way again.

Welcome SansaS - good to see you again

I'd just be honest with your Dr. Tell them everything - it's not easy but I think it's necessary?

Have a great sober Superbowl everyone

D
Old 02-07-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Work was unbelievably slow again so my long day was cut short by a few hours. That's OK. I'm going to hook up my Xbox 360 and play some video games. Haven't done that in a long time. But of course I'll be checking in here often.

Welcome to the class of February 16, Sansa! I'm looking forward to the new season of GoT.

Camryn, so glad you didn't buy that bottle. Stick close tonight! We're here for you.

Jeni26, being tired/lack of sleep is a HUGE trigger for me. Hope you get some good rest today. The retreat weekend sounds like a great idea. When is it?
Old 02-07-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Day 6. Still feeling low energy and like isolating. I did get out to run an errand today and a friend met me out. But I had the oppty to postpone 2 social plans I had this weekend and I did. Just not feeling like facing the world unless I have to. I will indulge this for now, I am thankfully 6 days sober

Watching a bit of football but won't watch long - I'm not much of a sports person.

Jeni are you sober again? FABL I hope you can figure out what you should add to your plan. I'm sorry you drank and know you can beat this.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Originally Posted by Chinaski View Post
mns1 -- Good morning to you too! How are you doing?
Doing well Chinaski I'm my sixth day sober. Just got home from a long day and I'm not going to lie I'm experiencing some urges but I'm going to stay close to SR and house a pint of ice cream to silence that AV.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Proud of you Cam. Worry about today, today. Get a good night sleep and wake up to make a new plan for tomorrow.

Got some sparkling juice I like - hubby picked it up for me- I foresee that on the rocks with brownie sundae after kids in bed.

I dunno guys, just saw the worst commercial. Men and women exercising, running, swimming, breathing, being awesomely active, and we (hub and kids) are trying to guess what the commercial is for....we said sneakers, Gatorade, etc.......until the familiar sound of a bottle cap ends it and it's some beer brand. Jeez!!
Old 02-07-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Hi everyone. I think yesterday must have been the lowest point I've ever reached in my recovery journey. I was overcome with anxiety and just cried all day. I'm so sensitive to other people's opinions of me, and just want to curl up at the slightest thing. A guy I really respect with a long stretch of sober time questioned my commitment to sobriety and I felt so hurt I just became paralysed with emotion.

I realised that I hadn't slept properly in over a week and that probably didn't help.

Today I've booked myself onto an AA retreat weekend, and I am going to do anything I can not to ever face the guilt and trauma of drinking again.

This time last weekend I was drinking. I'm still not over the emotional fallout. I keep telling myself I had 2 years 7 months once, and I walked through all sorts of crap to get there and I can do the same again.

This latest relapse has shaken me to to my core, and I cannot cope with the thought that I might not be able to really ever get this. My confidence is at zero.

In AA that is seen as a solid step 1...the unshakeable belief that this thing will kill me. I just cannot let that happen to me or the people who love me.

One week down. All steam ahead...
Hi Jeni

I had no confidence in myself either...but I was fairly sure I could actually stop pouring alcohol down my throat.

As it turns out, that wasn't always easy, but it was possible.

I think it's possible for anyone, with the right support - it doesn't take any special strength or will...but it does take dedication and commitment.

I didn't feel it for a long time but I knew not drinking was my way out of where I was.

I had to work on other stuff too of course . I needed to forgive myself for past mistakes and stop beating myself up. I needed to stop punishing myself for things other people did to me years ago.

I had to believe I was worth fighting for.

I believe as I've believed all along, you're worth fighting for too Jeni

D
Old 02-07-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Thanks kittycat. I was doing really well for 18 days. I feel like I made so much progress and I have so many tools that I use 98% of the time. It's that 2% when a craving hits and I go on automatic pilot. All I can think of that I can add to my plan is well, a plan for that 2% of the time when I decide all points lead to having a drink and I let my AV take over. Maybe I need to have a set of steps to follow, things I MUST do before I act .
btw..I tend to fall into isolating too. Not sure if it's always a bad thing

Applekat....alcohol commercials and social media alcohol posts really tick me off. Today I saw a bunch of friends who just finished a local 5k/10k and apparently the reward was...beer. At like 10am. The sponsors of the race actually provide them with the beer at the finish line.
I have a coworker who is constantly joking about beer and "adult beverages". I can't help but feel like its so immature...and ignorant.

Looking forward to a restful sleep. I know that for many alcohol helps them sleep, but I am just the opposite. Alcohol robs me of my sleep.
Ready to get back into my sober life, which just feels so good, so right. What was I thinking?
Old 02-07-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Chinaski-great to hear you're a GoT fan too. I love it. So looking forward to April
Just had a really open and honest talk with my husband about where I'm at with alcohol. Feels good to talk about it and stop trying to hide what I know is going on. He's going to support me and agrees that I should never drink again.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hey tinkerbell - I think you should share or not share as much as you want to as well.

It;s ok to have something private where you can be honest without having to feel you have to redraft things for an particular audience.

I'd recommend that you keep your pass word safe - don;t use auto log in and if your husband knows your user name, you can ask Anna to change it.

It's not about shutting him out - it's about priorities right now I reckon

D
Thanks Dee. I do appreciate the advice and the time you take to read and respond to so many here.
Congrats too on your recent milestone!

Old 02-07-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SansaS View Post
Just had a really open and honest talk with my husband about where I'm at with alcohol. Feels good to talk about it and stop trying to hide what I know is going on. He's going to support me and agrees that I should never drink again.
That's awesome. I'm currently single but can't imagine trying to get sober while also hiding my past drinking/current attempt at recovery from someone I was living with or in a relationship with. Honesty with myself and others is one of the foundations of my own beginning recovery.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Glad to join this Class ! This morning was the last morning I wake up sick at myself and my drinking the night before !
Old 02-07-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Glad you've joined us, Smash1033. We've got a great group forming here. Congrats on making the decision to lead a better life in recovery.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Hi all Monday morning here in Aus.
I appreciate everyone's stories and well done to those who made it through a sober Super Bowl. It can be tougher when these events roll around that have been associated with drinking previously.
Thoughts are with all, especially those doing it rough. It's hard to carry on as normal sometimes with those around us when there's such a mental battle going on inside.
Day 7
Old 02-07-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Chinaski- I feel like some weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I'd been hiding bottles from him etc but now everything is out in the open and he will not accept me drinking.

Tinkerbell- I am in Australia too
Old 02-07-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Oh and welcome smash!
Old 02-07-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Well I guess I'm back to day 1 tomorrow. I had a beer this afternoon at my neighbors house. I didn't get drunk or anything but I still had a drink. I'm really irritated with myself, he handed me a beer and instead of saying no thanks I drank it. When asked if I'd like another one I said no thanks, why the hell didn't I just say that to begin with?!?!?!?!