Notices

24-hour Recovery Connections Part 103

Old 02-02-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 521 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VirginiaWoof View Post
It is 7:15 pm in the UK and I'm coming up to the end of Day 1.

But this is a 'different' day 1. I feel that mentally and emotionally something has 'clicked'. I've a library of self help books due to be delivered tomorrow. I also had a counselling session yesterday for depression/low mood/anxiety and the chap I saw sent me away with three booklets with tips, advise and exercises (as in think about/write down/tick boxes etc NOT squat thrusts etc!). Yes, my AV played up yesterday - I put the booklets to the side and drank BUT this morning I sat and read them and started doing the exercises and thinking things through - and beginning to see that the voice that tells me I can't do it is what other people have said to me over the years and I can prove them wrong.

So while it may be 'just' the end of day 1, it's also the end of the 1st day of the rest of my life
Print out a sign that says:

"You think I can't do it!!!!!!?????

JUST WATCH ME."

and tape it to your refrigerator.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 522 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
24 hours please.
Day 1 again. I can only promise 24 hours, no more.
Day 1.................... Stay Strong! ODAAT.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 523 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiteturtle View Post
It's crazy that 24 hours feel almost impossible. It's just one day! Feeling like this reminds and reinforces to me that I've got a real and actual problem.

This is my third Day 1 since beginning this journey last summer. The first time I did this I made it almost one month, and didn't have much withdrawal, other than sleep issues and anxiety/depression. This time, I am feeling the pull of the AV waaay more strongly than the last. I feel like I am going to fail, and it's only 11:40am, and I have no reason to be so pessimistic! I feel like I need to stop being weak.

Almost 12 hours through this day...12 hours to go.
Just keep trying and never, never, ever give up. That is not the solution. Perhaps you could see your doctor and he could help you detox. I had many Day 1's. then I got truthful with myself and my doctor. You never have to feel this way again. Stay strong, WhiteTurtle!
Old 02-02-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 524 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaneK View Post
I finally told my sponsor about the pot I smoked. He hasn't told me to change my sobriety date, but he hasn't told me not to either. Alcohol was my DOC. I haven't had a drink since April 13, 2014, and I don't want to start now. This may seem strange, but I don't feel all that guilty about the weed. I didn't drink or do any other substances, and I don't see it as much different than smoking a cigarette or drinking coffee. Maybe I'm just rationalizing it, but I don't know if I really blew my sobriety.

Today is the first day I'm really sharing this with anyone - including my sponsor. I needed to get this out in the open rather thanked it secret.
Honesty is important, Dane. Your gut tells you what it is. Smoking weed may not be a problem now but most alcoholics if not honest eventually find another fuel to fly on. Talk it out with your sponsor. Love you Friend.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 525 (permalink)  

It is 7:15 pm in the UK and I'm coming up to the end of Day 1.

But this is a 'different' day 1. I feel that mentally and emotionally something has 'clicked'. I've a library of self help books due to be delivered tomorrow. I also had a counselling session yesterday for depression/low mood/anxiety and the chap I saw sent me away with three booklets with tips, advise and exercises (as in think about/write down/tick boxes etc NOT squat thrusts etc!). Yes, my AV played up yesterday - I put the booklets to the side and drank BUT this morning I sat and read them and started doing the exercises and thinking things through - and beginning to see that the voice that tells me I can't do it is what other people have said to me over the years and I can prove them wrong.

So while it may be 'just' the end of day 1, it's also the end of the 1st day of the rest of my life
Virginia,

When you're ready, you're ready! I think you're ready. Tell that to yourself! I'm Ready. Be ready. Today is your day.........................
Old 02-02-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 526 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Print out a sign that says:

"You think I can't do it!!!!!!?????

JUST WATCH ME."

and tape it to your refrigerator.
Love that idea SL!
Old 02-02-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 527 (permalink)  

Smile

Clock me on for another 24 please. 7:41 AEST. It's Day 43 not drinking and Day 5 not smoking. I am finding the smokes more difficult at the moment. Determined to not go back or to expect a free ride. Tinkerbell I'm glad you are back too.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 528 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Clock me on for another 24 please. 7:41 AEST. It's Day 43 not drinking and Day 5 not smoking. I am finding the smokes more difficult at the moment. Determined to not go back or to expect a free ride. Tinkerbell I'm glad you are back too.

43 days is fantastic, Steely. Keep on!!!!
Old 02-02-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 529 (permalink)  

Print out a sign that says: "You think I can't do it!!!!!!????? JUST WATCH ME." and tape it to your refrigerator.

It's very liberating when you finally "get it" and decide to take your life back, Virginia. You can do it. Feel the power!
Old 02-02-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 530 (permalink)  

Congratulations to the milestoners for today ! Mark it down somewhere as a reminder of how you've managed to stay committed and be proud of yourself. Onwards to the next moment and with our steady companionship and resolve, lets stay strong in our sobriety !

I have a conundrum in that my mother wants to have a celebration on the weekend where my brother will attend. I do not get along with my brother and have pretty much ceased communication with him over the past year. I dont acknowledge his birthday, etc. We havent fought but I find his personality very disagreeable. I think he knows that I dont wish to associate with him. In my spiritual practice, I do realise that he is suffering and for that I have compassion . However, given that he has a toxic personality, I also choose not to interact with him. So, not sure what to do this Sunday. Hmmm, if my family doesnt attend, it will hurt my mother's feelings but if I do attend, it will be a stiff and awkward affair. In the back of my mind, I feel that I should remove the selfishness and make my mother happy but to be honest, its not a thrilling choice Just venting.

Another 24 hours of wisdom, patience and sobriety pls ! Its 8:29am here !
Old 02-02-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 531 (permalink)  

That is a conundrum, Kaneda. Do you feel that your sobriety will be in jeopardy by attending the celebration?
Old 02-02-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 532 (permalink)  

That is a conundrum, Kaneda. Do you feel that your sobriety will be in jeopardy by attending the celebration?
Thanks for replying Leigh !

No, I dont believe it will impact my sobriety. Furthermore, they know my past only too well. I think it will be challenging to my peace of mind. A dilemma either way.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 533 (permalink)  

Put me down for another 24 hours please.. 6.30am Perth Aus

Today WILL be a great day X
Old 02-02-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 534 (permalink)  

24 hours more for me please. 9.38 here in Australia. Have a great day everyone
Old 02-02-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 535 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
Thanks for replying Leigh !

No, I dont believe it will impact my sobriety. Furthermore, they know my past only too well. I think it will be challenging to my peace of mind. A dilemma either way.
I say go with your gut instincts, Kaneda. They most always are right on.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 536 (permalink)  

24 more for me. Hope everyone has a great night. 4:49 here in Alabama. We're supposed to have bad weather tonight. Gonna chill out with the ipad in the basement, I guess.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 537 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BigTeddy View Post
24 more for me. Hope everyone has a great night. 4:49 here in Alabama. We're supposed to have bad weather tonight. Gonna chill out with the ipad in the basement, I guess.
Stay safe Teddy. Thanks for the good wishes.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 538 (permalink)  

I'm off to a meeting tonight.

Sweet Sober Dreams Friends.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 539 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Hey Steely!
You are rocking it!
Nice to be back too and putting together a better plan this time.
Thinking of you..... Xx
Old 02-02-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 540 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Love to all the 24 Hr. troopers. May I please have 24 more?