Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 4

Old 01-31-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

A new month, a new thread and a newish me. Huge congratulations to everyone that graduated! We may be only on day 1 to 31 but January was the month we wanted to start living again.
I'm on day 8 now. Nic, the cleaning bug finally hit me yesterday. And did I clean! It felt so good to accomplish something meaningful on the weekend for a change. I did have to force myself to do things but I found that I actually finished the job as opposed to my cleaning when I was drunk. The Vacuum cleaner would be in the middle of the floor, sponges still in the bucket, etc.
I also had the drinking dream last night. A martini of all things. I've never had one in my life! The interesting fact was that whilst still in the dream I told myself that I could drink only once a week. But then me (another me) came over and explained, in a lot of detail actually, that I couldn't drink at all. Very strange, but interesting that my subconscious is starting to REALLY get what I am supposed to do.
It is still very early days. My biggest struggle was when I started heading towards 30 days. I was feeling good with myself and the AV whispered that you've done a month so you can do it again. That was 6 months ago.
I will make it through another sober day. Hope everyone enjoys their day/night. Keep yourself busy and enjoy the little things sobriety brings. Take care.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:54 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
what are you doing not to drink TL?

D
Mainly being preoccupied with driving between my city and the city where my dad is in hospital, and sorting out where the bunnies are going to go in three weeks!

I go to AA when I can. I do my AA program of daily readings, prayer/affirmation, daily inventory, working on my living amends, shortcomings etc. I post here. I try and remember to look at my sobriety plan (my memory is terrible right now due to taking Lyrica). Do something on my 'to do' list. Keep reminding myself that the cravings pass. Focus on doing something constructive for the next 15 minutes. Eat tim tams and ice cream. Drink a lot of coffee. Work in my garden. Watch movies and docos about addiction and recovery.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:57 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words Nic. I have people like that in my meetings too. They sit there and say how easy it all is and how they are having no cravings etc while I suck down 20 cups of tea and eat all the biscuits while trying not to entertain thoughts of getting a bottle on the way home.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:02 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
HAHA that would be pretty talented!!!

How are you going today Thumpa hun?? Hope you're having a strong day x
It was at points a rough day, not so much emotionally (though I started to relive the unhappy recent past, I realized it and told myself to think differently -- and it worked!), but at one point at work I simply felt tired as hell, no reasonable explanation -- like I'd run out of gas.

A couple of cups of coffee and that was squared.

I'm home now making my world-famous nachos -- tortilla chips topped with sharp cheddar, sliced jalapeños, beef, diced tomatoes, green onions, and chopped cilantro. I'll put up a pic when they're done. Back to the bachelor's life.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:41 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
I'm home now making my world-famous nachos -- tortilla chips topped with sharp cheddar, sliced jalapeños, beef, diced tomatoes, green onions, and chopped cilantro. I'll put up a pic when they're done. Back to the bachelor's life.

Before:

After:

Forgive the poor cell-phone pics. And -- I'm out of sour cream! Damn.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:59 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
Mainly being preoccupied with driving between my city and the city where my dad is in hospital, and sorting out where the bunnies are going to go in three weeks!

I go to AA when I can. I do my AA program of daily readings, prayer/affirmation, daily inventory, working on my living amends, shortcomings etc. I post here. I try and remember to look at my sobriety plan (my memory is terrible right now due to taking Lyrica). Do something on my 'to do' list. Keep reminding myself that the cravings pass. Focus on doing something constructive for the next 15 minutes. Eat tim tams and ice cream. Drink a lot of coffee. Work in my garden. Watch movies and docos about addiction and recovery.
fair enough - I guess you've done this before
I hope the stress will be a little easier on you soon.

D
Old 02-01-2016, 02:00 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by bandicoot2 View Post
You got it Nic!
Graduation feels Good!!

Thanks so much for your wise, loving words and your epic posts. Keep 'em coming and have a Great Sober day
You are VERY welcome! Hope your day is great too...xxx
Old 02-01-2016, 02:04 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
A new month, a new thread and a newish me. Huge congratulations to everyone that graduated! We may be only on day 1 to 31 but January was the month we wanted to start living again.
I'm on day 8 now. Nic, the cleaning bug finally hit me yesterday. And did I clean! It felt so good to accomplish something meaningful on the weekend for a change. I did have to force myself to do things but I found that I actually finished the job as opposed to my cleaning when I was drunk. The Vacuum cleaner would be in the middle of the floor, sponges still in the bucket, etc.
I also had the drinking dream last night. A martini of all things. I've never had one in my life! The interesting fact was that whilst still in the dream I told myself that I could drink only once a week. But then me (another me) came over and explained, in a lot of detail actually, that I couldn't drink at all. Very strange, but interesting that my subconscious is starting to REALLY get what I am supposed to do.
It is still very early days. My biggest struggle was when I started heading towards 30 days. I was feeling good with myself and the AV whispered that you've done a month so you can do it again. That was 6 months ago.
I will make it through another sober day. Hope everyone enjoys their day/night. Keep yourself busy and enjoy the little things sobriety brings. Take care.
haha seems to be quite common- quit the booze and turn into Cleanoholics instead lol!!!
Keep going Sandy you're doing so well.. I also struggled at 1 month last time, then again at 3 as they say happens a lot... Staying busy and vigilant this time round X
Old 02-01-2016, 02:07 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words Nic. I have people like that in my meetings too. They sit there and say how easy it all is and how they are having no cravings etc while I suck down 20 cups of tea and eat all the biscuits while trying not to entertain thoughts of getting a bottle on the way home.
We will get through this- we've both been down this path before....lets make it stick this time.
I try to be happy for those in meetings who find it easy but it's tough to hear especially on a day I'm craving especially badly.,, thank god for those biscuits hey lol
Old 02-01-2016, 02:10 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Smile

It was at points a rough day, not so much emotionally (though I started to relive the unhappy recent past, I realized it and told myself to think differently -- and it worked!), but at one point at work I simply felt tired as hell, no reasonable explanation -- like I'd run out of gas.

I think you should send me some of those nachos to Australia!! They look and sound gorgeous!! Yum!!! Very jealous!!!
The days can be so up and down can't they? I'm drinking much more caffeine than I ever did before, and also sometimes feel exhausted suddenly. My sponsor told me that it's my body healing and to embrace it. Enjoy the rest of your day/ night Thumpa xx
Old 02-01-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Wife missing her dad last night. Major meltdown.
I drank, did all the laundry( a LOT), and cleaned the house while she sat outside and cried. It was really hard to deal with, and drinking made it no better. Just made me numb to where I could struggle through stuff that had to be done regardless .
I let myself down
Old 02-01-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

You're doing great Lili- way to stay so active in your recovery, I admire that. Wishing you a wonderful day!
Old 02-01-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Wife missing her dad last night. Major meltdown.
I drank, did all the laundry( a LOT), and cleaned the house while she sat outside and cried. It was really hard to deal with, and drinking made it no better. Just made me numb to where I could struggle through stuff that had to be done regardless .
I let myself down
I'm sorry JL. Wish you would have come here for help before you drank. Do you think you could try that next time? I'm sorry you are going through so much and that the night was so stressful, but glad you realize that the drinking didn't help one bit. Hang on, try again, and maybe you need a more concrete plan for when these situations arise. We are here for you!
Old 02-01-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Um, those look so good, I would be eating them for dinner every night if I could!
Hope you have more energy this afternoon- I get those slumps in the evening as well, not sure why. Have a great day Thump!
Old 02-01-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

It is morning here in the USA's Midwest. February 1, and I get to join your graduation celebration after all! Yippie!

I was so busy with my problems, anxiety and sputtering day ones that I have not adequately read your posts. I hope to do a better job at meeting each of you in the days and months to come.

I also added my last day one to my signature. I hope moralizing it this way will help to make it permanent.

Nic, thank you for your summary posts. Not only do they help the classmates to whom you are writing, but they also help the rest of us to catch up!

Happy Monday!
Old 02-01-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  

First off, Kalo Mina, which is what we wish each other in Greek, on the first of each month. May we all start fresh today, no matter what that means.

For me, it means going back on my low carb diet. I was only 5 days away from completing the 21 day diet and I blew it! I binged all day yesterday and I attribute it to upping my Zoloft again. I hate the stuff. Yes, it makes my anxiety better but it also makes me crave carbs. I've decided to try taking Sam-E and am going to get some today (thanks Odelle, I had thought of it before but I believe you mentioning it might be divine intervention as I was also given a free box of it last year but never took it.)

Having a very rough start to the day. Carb binges take a day or 2 for me to recover from so I do not expect to feel better until tomorrow. It sucks having more than one addiction. I have been struggling with eating disorders for 20 years although I am much better today than I used to be.

Decided to sleep in instead of going to the gym this morning- I haven't slept in for weeks (got up at 7 today) but it felt good and was worth it. I could always work out here at the house after I go grocery shopping- need to stock up on tons of veggies for my diet.

Other than that it will be a mellow day, thank God. DS is back in school and DH is going to meet his cousin for lunch, who we just found out lives at the beach (45 minutes away). I am glad he won't be here today, I really just love my peace and quiet!

Wishing you all a beautiful day, and those of you who are struggling, please post here when that AV kicks in. It can save you from that first drink that is never, ever worth it!

Old 02-01-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Monday morning - day 28 .... Wow!

I'm sending positive thoughts out to the universe that this week I have some positive progress on the job front. Fingers crossed.

My crazy cravings from last week seems to have subsided a bit ... Will remain vigilant, tho, as I know she's just waiting in the shadows.

Have a great start to the week all!
Old 02-01-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by benice View Post
It is morning here in the USA's Midwest. February 1, and I get to join your graduation celebration after all! Yippie!

I was so busy with my problems, anxiety and sputtering day ones that I have not adequately read your posts. I hope to do a better job at meeting each of you in the days and months to come.

I also added my last day one to my signature. I hope moralizing it this way will help to make it permanent.

Nic, thank you for your summary posts. Not only do they help the classmates to whom you are writing, but they also help the rest of us to catch up!

Happy Monday!
Aww thanks Benice... I usually scroll back a couple of pages and just want to acknowledge as many people as i can.. takes courage to post our inner struggles sometimes... And people have always been so kind when I have posted or asked for help/advice.
I love the fact we are all in this together xx
Old 02-01-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
First off, Kalo Mina, which is what we wish each other in Greek, on the first of each month. May we all start fresh today, no matter what that means.

For me, it means going back on my low carb diet. I was only 5 days away from completing the 21 day diet and I blew it! I binged all day yesterday and I attribute it to upping my Zoloft again. I hate the stuff. Yes, it makes my anxiety better but it also makes me crave carbs. I've decided to try taking Sam-E and am going to get some today (thanks Odelle, I had thought of it before but I believe you mentioning it might be divine intervention as I was also given a free box of it last year but never took it.)

Having a very rough start to the day. Carb binges take a day or 2 for me to recover from so I do not expect to feel better until tomorrow. It sucks having more than one addiction. I have been struggling with eating disorders for 20 years although I am much better today than I used to be.

Decided to sleep in instead of going to the gym this morning- I haven't slept in for weeks (got up at 7 today) but it felt good and was worth it. I could always work out here at the house after I go grocery shopping- need to stock up on tons of veggies for my diet.

Other than that it will be a mellow day, thank God. DS is back in school and DH is going to meet his cousin for lunch, who we just found out lives at the beach (45 minutes away). I am glad he won't be here today, I really just love my peace and quiet!

Wishing you all a beautiful day, and those of you who are struggling, please post here when that AV kicks in. It can save you from that first drink that is never, ever worth it!

Kalo Mina! What a lovely phrase - starting fresh each month. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 500 (permalink)  

Congratulations to all my classmates! Even if you drank some during the month, you stuck with the class. I think everybody is doing great, even if they are disappointed in themselves or still not feeling quite right
I am not feeling great and haven't felt physically well all month. Headaches every single day. Lots of trouble with nosebleeds. I went to the ER yesterday for a nosebleed as the walk-in said they could not treat it.
I had a blood test done on liver function and wbc count. Both were high. I was SO disappointed as I thought my count would be done from a month off drinking. They said it wasn't anything to worry about and that it was probably due to stress. I am following up with my primary dr. on Wednesday. I will see what she thinks.
Happy February to all! I want those nachos!!!!!