Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 4

Old 01-25-2016, 08:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Lulu, I think most people get a bad case of the jitters before an interview, I know I do! I upped my strategy recently and googled "interview questions" and prepared in advance. Some basic questions include a) what are your greatest strengths; weaknesses b) what are workplace stressors for you? c) what is/was your greatest accomplishments at your current/last job?

The list goes on with lots of suggestions. I prepared my responses and reviewed them before the interview, it really helped me tremendously. Here is a link to the one I liked best - Interview Questions and Answers

Best of luck to you!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Morning all. I wrote out this long post, hit the wrong key on the keyboard and *poof* it's all gone.

Short version:

Hi all. Happy Monday.

I hope you get him to hear you, Sunflower. That is his job as spouse, IMO.

I can already see the trajectory of my marriage. My husband will sit home evenings, drink beer and play video games. I will get a life with people in it, and we will slowly drift apart due to having nothing in common. He is already so boring when drunk that I work at kindness in my responses to him. How many times can two people have the exact same conversation? Drunks sure love repetition.

Over the weekend, and on the encouragement of someone at an AA meeting, I decided to try an Alanon meeting tonight. She warned me that it might be whiney, but it is mostly female, involves the same 12 steps and tends to be less religious. I qualify for attendance at any rate. It will be nice to have another choice of meetings too.

But there is a noon meeting that I am committed to attend every day, at least until I have a job. That meeting is my home group from now on. Neat group of people, high functioning, open-minded and very welcoming. There are two other atheists who attend the group intermittently, which is cool.

Quitting cigs again today. Yikes! I can become such a neurotic b*tch, it scares me. I decided to stop screwing around with the vape pen and put on a patch. There was a dumb moment of me thinking that it was bad to waste the cigs. Then I soaked them down with water and threw them away. The plan: there is a tray of crunchy veggies leftover from the game, so I will reach for those when cravings bug me, and still have the vape pen available. SR has me trained.

My dad died of lung cancer. My mom died of COPD (emphysema - terrible way to go). I HAVE to do this!

Hope everyone has a good Monday. Hugs all around.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 1. But I'm back.

I allowed myself to let too many obstacles collide:
1. I posted that my heart isn't in to this
2. Went out to dinner with friends who always by wine by the bottle for the table
3. Did not cope well with extreme stress
4. Stayed away from SR
5. Said I would read my old posts, but didn't

So I am back and I am adding to my plan. When I start to feel like I'm not in to this, I need to read or call my sober buddy. I will tell my dear friends we go out to dinner with that I quit drinking.

I don't have an answer to my stress. I own a business and I have to finish a challenging contract that's loosing lots of money. The contractor is a bully and lies. Drinking will not make him go away...sigh...
Old 01-25-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi SH. I think many people have some relationship issues in early recovery. You are doing so well, try to stay in the moment and continue your journey. What may happen in the future very well may not happen too.

Good luck with the smoking cessation; you lead the way and maybe I’ll gather the willpower to join you soon!

You may want to check out the nicotine cessation thread on SR - Nicotine/Smoking - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Welcome back Benice. The good news is that you caught yourself before the relapse spiraled out of control. Live, learn and move on!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Mmmm, coffee.

Having a fake-hangover day, somewhat irritating but I'll live. I've grown to love my clear-headed mornings, and feel cheated today. It doesn't help that I slept hard enough that I didn't change positions, and my body is stiff for it. I have a bone disease in my hip which imparts constant pain, and the still sleep has it singing especially loud today.

The Veteran's Administration offered me oxy for it a few years ago, but I turned that down. Prescription-strength naproxen (Aleve) will take the edge off the pain.

Anyway, despite the rough start, headed into today with my back up and my face set forward. No looking back.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Back after my 3 hour nap. I can't beleive I napped that long!

Lulu, I hope the interview goes well!
SillyHuman, good luck with quitting cigarette's. I switched to vaping last year. I only smoked when I drank. So I'm nicotine free day 2 also. I think the leftover veggies are a fabulous idea. I quit smoking my first time with baby carrots. That was years ago. I'm always Grateful to not have the smell lingering on me too.
Benice, welcome back. I'm just back again myself. We can do this.
JL, I hope the knee heals quickly. My hubby just sprained his ankle yesterday. I'm glad he doesn't have to keep up with a 2 year old today! Good luck!

I'm missing a ton of you. Sorry about that. I'm think of you and wishing you a fantastic day/night!
Old 01-25-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
Mmmm, coffee.

Having a fake-hangover day, somewhat irritating but I'll live. I've grown to love my clear-headed mornings, and feel cheated today.
Thump that's how I felt yesterday. My AV was going 'what the hell! You got the hangover feeling might as well have a drink!' But I made it through. Like you I felt cheated all day.

Sorry to hear your hips been giving you trouble. Hope things improve. I've hit day 24 and apart from my usual 'let's buy a bottle' thoughts on the way home I'm winning the battle. 😜
Old 01-25-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Made it through the interview ... Was a little off my game. I think the lack of sleep is catching up to me. Anyway, he mentioned it could be several weeks until I hear if they want to proceed.

I can't deny that when I hung up because I didn't get the warm fuzzy feeling from the interviewer, one of my first thoughts was "I should get a bottle" to make me feel better.

I'm not going to drink today / but I really really need to start being so critical and tough on myself. Hmmm. Have to think about that one.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey Lulu, try not to be too hard on yourself. What will be will be. Stay positive. Well done for not picking up too 😊
Old 01-25-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Lulu, I hope it went better than you think. I am often very critical of myself also. I'm glad you aren't going to drink today. Stick close to us!
Old 01-25-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Got out my SMART workbook and going to do an online meeting tonight. Hoping that will beef up my plan a bit.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Day 14 here. Feel so much better. Trying to keep the reasons for quitting booze front and center - health, relationships, self-respect, hours gained in a day, money, freedom from the addiction, etc. Wish the best for everyone.

SH: Good luck with quitting both cigarettes and booze at the same time. Smoking cessation got a lot easier for me after 72 hours.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

day 21 I want my brain back!
Old 01-25-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Day 18, I want my body back!
Old 01-25-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Sorry Jim, I couldn't resist! I've been saying it silently quite a bit lately.

Oh, and the brain, it will get better, hang in there!
Old 01-25-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Morning everyone.

Day 9 here. I have had 3 of my best sleeps the last 3 nights, only waking once and getting about 6 or so hours in total. That's really good for me.

Exercising every day really helps with my sleep. Sometimes when I go to the gym regularly I worry that other people there will see me there and know I have no life, all I do is go to work and the gym. Is that stupid or what? God knows I self sabotage so badly. Its like I love to hit myself over the head with a big stick

Anyway its a public holiday today and there is a 10.40am yoga class. I am going to go. and to hell with what people thing, right!!!

Have a good day everyone
Old 01-25-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Didn't realize this thread existed. Day 12 after battling horrible withdrawals for months. Finally went to detox the morning of 1/13. I can't say day 12 is all that great, but it's a hell of a lot better than where I was.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

You go, Lisa! Better to be addicted to the gym than to the bottle, right?
Old 01-25-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Welcome, Zeebs. Recovery can sometimes be a slow process, but each day sober is another step in the right direction. Glad to have you onboard!
Old 01-25-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks Odelle, so very true. I'm going to do 20 min of easy cardio, then the yoga class.

I feel a bit depressed and sad right now. Its not terrible, but I have a mountain of a job to try to build a good life for myself, and some very heavy **** from my past that I have to find a way to deal with and leave behind me. And I know that after I exercise I feel better. I feel less hopeless and less overwhelmed, and I will feel calmer.

I was addicted to benzos (washed down with a lot of booze) for a year about 3 years ago. Exercise makes me feel a bit like the benzos did, I'm just not as bothered by stuff afterwards. And that to me is a miracle.