Notices

Soberpotamus's Oral Surgery Recovery Support & Journal Part 3

Old 02-02-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you had such a good visit, sounds like you are healing really well!!!
Old 02-02-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Glad to hear the visit went well, SP.

Continuing healing, my friend. On all fronts.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, SP.

Great to hear about your progress.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:15 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
It was a great visit! Lots of positive info received.

He asked how I'm doing -- "much better" I said. We smiled and I laughed. He said anything must be better than last visit (remember, I cried my eyes out in front of him!).

First, he said I was doing an excellent job of keeping my teeth clean! Darn right, I am. Lol. Brushing six times a day, sometimes more. Lots of mouthwash, tongue scraping, etc.

He told me "no way" to the chin strap, V. He said, no way are we doing that, lol. It's a big no-no, apparently. Oh well, I tried. I told him about the trouble sleeping, the trouble with the painful elastics, etc. Tough cookies. He said I'm going to be fine. I won't hurt my jaw in my sleep. Not to worry, etc. I really will be ok. No need to even wear the elastics. He is confident things will be fine.

In three weeks he wants me eating a regular diet!! This was the absolute shocker. I said "are you kidding me??" Nope, not kidding. Everyone's different, every situation different, and so six weeks was my time limit for the liquid diet. Turns out, as usual, I was overthinking it, worrying, and planning too far ahead.

He basically wants me to chill out, to stop worrying, to relax, and to start moving my jaw around! Really the only discomfort I should be feeling are the muscles pulling and reattaching. And the numbness dissipating.

Another shocker. He said he moved one side out 6mm and the other 4.5 mm!! This was more than we'd thought originally. My jaw was asymmetrical anyways, positioned slightly to the left, and that's why one side is out further than the other -- to compensate for the asymmetry. Now they are symmetrical.

So, that's pretty much it.

And I loved it at the end, when my husband had the smiled plastered on his face, nodding and going along perfectly with the doctor, and then he mentioned he might like to have some work done. The doctor let him know that he better start being nice to me, because if the roles are switched, and he needs me to care for him one day, payback can be a bitch!

The doc and I exchanged smiles and I thanked him for saying that.

I'm pretty sure Brian was surprised to hear that. Later, he asked me what I'd told the doctor. I said I didn't have to tell him anything -- Tom told all. He said, "That son-of-a-bitch! He's never coming back over to the house again."

We went to Dunkin Donuts. Got another caramel macchiato, no receipt paper found this time.

What wonderful news, Potamus. I am so glad that your appointment went so very well.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:16 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

I want to thank you all for standing by me and virtually holding my hand throughout this whole thing. It has meant so much to me. Your support has carried me through some of the hardest parts. Thank you all.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:28 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Old 02-03-2016, 12:01 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

You smiled and laughed with your surgeon? You're on the road to recovery Soberpotamus. Thank goodness.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
You smiled and laughed with your surgeon? You're on the road to recovery Soberpotamus. Thank goodness.
He is handsome. Maybe there's a tiny crush going on.

Tiny, minute, minuscule... lol.

I think, honestly, I was so relieved to be through the worst of it. I felt exponentially healthier and better than the prior meeting three weeks ago. It was easy to laugh and smile.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Steady Jen!

How good it was to read about your visit to the oral surgeon. I'm really pleased you have something good to counterbalance your domestic problems.

I think you will come out of this an (even) stronger person
Old 02-03-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Sounds like fantastic news SP!!
Old 02-03-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad things are going well SP

D
Old 02-03-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Now Brian has another worry.

Glad you're healing well.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

I'm reading the new Elizabeth Strout book tonight -- My Name is Lucy Barton. Sipping my chai.

Brian bought me a couple of books at the thrift store today -- an HG Wells collection and John Cheever's The Wapshot Chronicle.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

I'm going to use what I learned from this experience to guide me in the next big life project -- growing my business.

I feel capable, brave, patient, determined, confident, and positive. These aren't just feelings. I'm no longer grasping at them. These qualities are carved out and hard-won.

My goals are within reach, and I'll get there. Just takes time and plodding along. And the ability to tune out all the noise.

Ready to shift my focus to the proofreading business and home improvement in order to sell. No idea yet where I'll buy land once I sell. All I know is I want out of this house and neighborhood, and I want some privacy.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

I feel capable, brave, patient, determined, confident, and positive. These aren't just feelings. I'm no longer grasping at them. These qualities are carved out and hard-won.
Indeed J.

And you're inspirational.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:02 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Great to hear you are recovering J!!! I wish you further recovery and best of luck with all of your life plans!!!
Old 02-04-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think this experience has been a pivotal time in your life and you've grown and become stronger and more focused with what you want out of life. That's a great place to be.

Btw, I've heard 'My name is Lucy Barton' is excellent, though I haven't gotten it yet.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

I'm going to use what I learned from this experience to guide me in the next big life project -- growing my business.

My goals are within reach, and I'll get there. Just takes time and plodding along. And the ability to tune out all the noise.

Ready to shift my focus to the proofreading business and home improvement in order to sell. No idea yet where I'll buy land once I sell. All I know is I want out of this house and neighborhood, and I want some privacy.
Fantastic, Potamus.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Btw, I've heard 'My name is Lucy Barton' is excellent, though I haven't gotten it yet.
I loved 'Olive Kitteridge.' That one left an impression on me. I like her writing style, too.

'MNILB' seems to be a quick read, plus it's a short book -- I should be finished in a day or so.