SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   One Year and Under Club Part 51 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/383402-one-year-under-club-part-51-a.html)

Dee74 01-20-2016 11:14 PM

One Year and Under Club Part 51

Last part here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-50-a-20.html

D

petals 01-20-2016 11:48 PM

Thanks for the new thread. Can we say shotgun on this? If so ....shotgun. if not sorry and good morning. Xx

Dee74 01-21-2016 12:02 AM

You can say whatever you like Petals.

I call the right to have no shotgun on the 24 hour thread but the rest are fair game - people seem to enjoy it :)

D

Saskia 01-21-2016 02:52 AM

Good morning, Undies :-)

Welcome, Thumpa! I've found this group to be a huge help in staying on track in my recovery. I hope you'll find the same.

Good to see you Paul, and happy to hear you are going strong.

Glee, much of what you say resonates for me. I never fully realized how much inner work it takes to develop my inner resources. There are reasons I turned to drinking and I had worked through a great deal throughout intensive and extensive therapy. What I've been learning here complements that work because it's both eminently practical and you all are so supportive.

waywardson8260 01-21-2016 05:15 AM

Good morning everyone. I am feeling good again this morning. Not much new. I'm hitting the gym again and then it is off to work.

Glee- reading your stories and perspective on being sober is awesome. You are truly an inspiration!

amp- thanks for sharing your success in getting sober

Welcome Thumpalumpacus . buc-ee's is awesome! ( I had to throw that in.)

Babs- like everyone has said- Up and down days are par for the course. Things do get better!

Paul- glad you are sticking with this and feeling good.

amp123 01-21-2016 05:41 AM

Hey Thump! Welcome to the thread! It's an education. It's a really good place to come and feel supported, particularly if the activity dries up a bit on your monthly thread!

IWLSAST 01-21-2016 06:04 AM

Hello, Undies.

I have some catching up to do.

I have been busy with searching out a new beginning in Florida. I hope to remain teachable and grow my recovery with this new life.

I still have no idea why I somehow became one of the "lucky" ones. I went from total despair and even lost my desire to live during my last 8 month active run in this addiction.

Today I have a new life, in a new WARM environment, with limitless possibilities to grow and give back. Such a relief to look at life with humility as my guide. My thinking can still be flawed, but, I now have some tools to help me choose the next right things.

AA meetings here have been thought provoking, (ex: tolerance was yesterday's topic), and welcoming.

Sorry - gotta run.

Welcome, Thumpa - Hiya, Babs, :)...and all others.

Carlos

Babs1234 01-21-2016 07:28 AM

Good Morning everyone !! Much better mood today and things are definitely looking up---Glee,Amp,Sass,Wayward--thank you for the kind words. Yes, I've been on this merry go round before and just want to get it right this time.
CARLOS !!!! Hi there ! so glad to see you here.
Have a great day everyone---and stay close ---you guys are a real comfort to me.
Hugs
Babs

Thumpalumpacus 01-21-2016 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by amp123 (Post 5752854)
Hey Thump! Welcome to the thread! It's an education. It's a really good place to come and feel supported, particularly if the activity dries up a bit on your monthly thread!

Yeah, it's been a hard couple of days, and last night in particular. Promised irl support didn't materialize and I had a really bad fifteen minutes last night ... until alcohol sales closed by state law at midnight. So I definitely need to modify my plan in some way, to accommodate emergencies which happen off-hours.

So I reckon that barging into this thre -- er, joining here will help broaden support possibilities. :D

Saskia 01-21-2016 08:48 AM

Good thinking, Thump. Any of these threads can get quiet at times but you can usually count on rapid response in Newcomers. I gather there is now a middle of the night (for us North American types) thread.

Babs1234 01-21-2016 11:03 AM

Yes Thump---stay close
Babs
:abcz:

gleefan 01-21-2016 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by IWLSAST (Post 5752876)
I still have no idea why I somehow became one of the "lucky" ones.

Me too! In fact I remember when I realized I was one of the "lucky" ones. It was the day I came to after my last drunk.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4489940

I don't look back to read my old stuff, but the moment I realized how grateful I was to have a shot at sobriety sticks out for me and happens to be immortalized on SR!! Dee's response stuck out for me. It's not so much because he said something characteristically cheeky, but because he took the time to connect to me while I was in a moment of clarity amidst tons of chaos and anguish.

Thump - I've found tons of support on SR and this thread. Lean on all the tools available to you - IRL and virtual - for the support you need.

It's been a busy week after being out of town all last weekend, then heading straight into a week of work, kids and studying for another work exam. Tonight I'm un-stressing. I'm having Thai food and tea, and planning to veg in front of the TV.

Twenty three months ago I wouldn't have dreamt that I could unwind without booze, excessive exercise or sweets. I keep following the sober path one step at a time. :)

Dee74 01-21-2016 03:46 PM

This is a good place to be Thumpa :)

D

Keepnitreal 01-21-2016 04:19 PM

Hi all!

Congrats of 6 months and 9 months for you Amp! It sounds like all is going well!
I'm at day 76 and for the last 7-10 days I've been struggling a bit...just out of the blue. It's a nightly craving (not extremely intense) and came come up 2-3 times a day...just want to have some wine. What is up with that and why now? It's really frustrating and wearing thin. Arrrrgggggg

Dee74 01-21-2016 04:32 PM

'characteristicallly cheeky' :lmao

D

Saskia 01-21-2016 04:46 PM

KIR, that seems to happen with many of us - we'll be moving right along and then it seems like out of the blue craving(s) hit. Sometimes relaxing and thinking about it can bring clarity. Even if it doesn't, have you considered posting more often? Joining the 24-hour accountability thread? I find the latter helps to remind me that 24 hours is what I'm committing to.

gleefan 01-21-2016 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5753873)
'characteristicallly cheeky' :lmao D

You caught that! :)

KIR - For me when cravings hit there's usually an underlying stress or irritability that I'm not addressing. Sometimes I can change it, and other times I can't. That's where acceptance comes into play.

Concurrent to that you can move a muscle, change a thought. Get yourself immersed in something else - Saskia's advice to immerse yourself in recovery is good. Keeping my compass pointed towards a joyous, happy and free life helps me.

Saskia 01-21-2016 06:28 PM

Glee, I don't think our eagle-eyed bossy moderator misses anything! You'd think he was a teacher :D

Thumpalumpacus 01-21-2016 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5753770)
This is a good place to be Thumpa :)

D

SR is my group six nights a week, brotha.

tootsl1 01-21-2016 11:58 PM

KIR is your AV kicking in at a time you would have drank? If so, as Glee says, change things around a bit, form a new habit, a new 'muscle' memory! You are also at a point where your AV will be trying to rationalise with you.... "Hey, we've been sober 2.5 months now, take no notice what these eejits on SR say, sure you can have a few drinks now". Er,No AV, I really can't. It can help to remind yourself of the place you came from 77 days ago, it strengthens your argument.

Occasionally in the early days, I would get in the car and drive so I could just roar shout and swear. It helps!

Grrrr! I can't see your film Thumpa! But I too come to SR most days for my fillip of sober wisdom. Welcome. And you can hand around those muffins you have behind your back!

It's a little quiet here right now, which is a shame because I know a lot of people who quit in of for January are struggling about now, so spread the word people. I know when I first came across SR it was my first time in any online group and I had no idea how to access different threads, or which was best for me. I dickered about for a time before I found this place and later, after a lapse, joined my month class. So if you are reading newcomers threads, ensure they have links here and to the relevant class if you are able.

Babs, good to hear your cloud lifted hun.

BeFree, how's things going with you?

Have a good one Undies, and remember... It's a jungle out there!