Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 51

Old 02-06-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Hi Undies

Digging out of 3/4 of a foot of heavy, wet snow here! It's not a lot of snow, but it's a mess.

Yesterday my son had a hockey game 90 minutes away. Portions of the highways in my area were closed due to multiple accidents, but the Coach decided the game was on. I was pretty distressed about it, and found myself snapping at some of the folks at work who stretch my patience on any given day.

Part of my job is staying patient, and while it's frustrating to tell the same people the same feedback over and over, being snippy in the delivery of that feedback isn't a viable choice!! I thought it was SO COOL that when I felt frustrated, I could promptly admit to myself that something else was bothering me (the game wasn't cancelled due to weather), RESET, and make my subsequent interactions with those folks more pleasant.

I wrapped up some 8th and 9th step work this week and am embarking on my 10th step, so yesterday's a-ha moment was appropriately timed.

Everybody's steps are going to look different. Part of my work is learning how to have compassion for sick and suffering individuals -- who I feel, and that my sponsor as an objective 3rd party agrees, have hurt me. Having never really had healthy boundaries most of my life, that list is long. What I've noticed in doing this work is that because my boundaries are healthier, people who have come into my life in the last few years aren't on that list. I've developed a more discerning friend picker & enhanced ability to be a friend. Progress!

Well, I'm off to a hockey game, then digging deep into my exam materials for a day-long study session. I hope you all have a safe, sober and fun weekend - even those of you who have to work (WWS)!!!!
Old 02-06-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Glee- great insight. They say like attracts like so it make sense that if we are a hot mess we will attract others with issues into our lives. The healthier we get, then the healthier the people that we associate should be. I like that thought.

I started my training Monday night for CASA (court appointed special advocate) and I just received my online password, so I have 2 weeks of work to catch up on before my next class. (The downside of IPADs-no flash player!!!! ....so I have to get off the couch and go to my computer for some of the assignments. Lol). After 5 weeks of training then I get to read through the files and chose the child that "speaks" to me to advocate for. Exciting and scary.
90 days sober today!!!!!
Old 02-06-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

KIR - I think digging into the CASA work is a really nice way to mark your 90 days of sobriety.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:17 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

hey undies

glee yes that issue of having tolerance for others is one I struggle with also

sobriety and compassion for others for me is an ongoing work in progress....

thanks you guys and hope its all good

v
Old 02-07-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Happy to see you every day, Van :-). It's a lot of work on ourselves but so worth it.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Keepnitreal- Congratulations on 90 days!

Congratulations on 1 year and 6 months Saskia!

Glee- I did have a good day at work yesterday and think today will be the same.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 02-07-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Thanks, WWS!

Glad you had a good day at work :-)
Old 02-07-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Hi Undies

Yesterday I did something I haven't done in a long time, but used to do all the time - I took a long nap. Back when I drank I spent at least one, if not both, weekend days napping, out of necessity. I am not against napping by any means! Yesterday I was a bit tired, but was napping to avoid studying! I'm grateful I can understand my true motivation, and reset. I studied the rest of the night and today I avoided taking any horizontal study breaks.

I had a great day today. Thanks to sobriety, the little things mean a lot. Today my older son and his teammates gathered together to cheer on the younger one's team. It meant so much to him to have the older kids cheer them on!

Then I overheard one of my older son's friend's dads bet him a hot cocoa over my son's guess on the spread for tonight's football game. It was very sweet, and it means a lot to see my sons feel valued by the people they care about outside of the family. I have a better ability to appreciate the camaraderie.

Keep at it Undies!!
Old 02-08-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Hi ! Just a short message to say I'm back from my little trip and had a
great time. and most important thing of all I didn't drink. !!!
Glad to be back
Hugs
Babs
Old 02-08-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

That's great, Babs - all of it :-)
Old 02-08-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Babs - I'm glad you had a nice time, sober. I had to re-learn how to do everything sober - include enjoy myself!! I'm glad it was a good trip.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

thank you for the nice greetings

Babs
Old 02-08-2016, 11:58 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Glee I'm glad you took a nap. I like one every once is awhile!
Babs- Great job! I hope you enjoyed your trip!
Old 02-09-2016, 02:02 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

I've had to stop taking naps because they add to my insomnia ....

Good morning, Undies! Since it's been quiet here lately, I hope that's good news.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Good Morning. I have a dental cleaning this morning then going to work. Two more days and I have a 5 day weekend!

I'm feeling good still and increasingly confident that staying sober will stick. Haven't had any cravings for a long time. I know I've said it before, but all of you have been a big part in this and reading your posts keep me focused on staying sober. Thanks!

Good job staying sober on your trip Babs!
Old 02-09-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

WWS, great news about 5-day weekend! And lack of cravings, too. Every once in awhile I get a tiny craving but all it takes to send it packing is remembering what I went through to get sober. I don't want to go there ever again.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Good Morning---OMG---I had a drinking dream last night and I have had them before when I sobered up and it was the usual dream---this time I was literally running with a bottle trying to get away and taking a swig and then running like a fool---my nephew was chasing me and I hardly see him. I'm just glad I woke up and now that I said it on this thread it makes me smirk. Mainly cause
I'm not a good runner. ha ha ha
Have a good day everyone.
Babs
Old 02-09-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Hahaha! I had a really similar drinking dream the other night. I came out of an old friend's apartment (actually more of a drinking buddy back in the day). Suddenly the way out onto the street was through a bar and they were serving beer in cans. I grabbed someone's open drink and started drinking it and running away. I think the people from the bar were chasing me but I woke up. I was pretty relieved, chalked it down to experience and rolled over and back to sleep. Actually I'd forgotten about it till Babs' post jogged my memory.

In general I'm doing really well. Coming up to 10 months and "new normal" is beginning to feel like normal. Anyone who's starting out, take my word for it. There does come a time when it is easy most of the time. Weeks on end of peace are not unheard of though, of course, it still pays to remain aware and vigilant.

Take care all!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
I've had to stop taking naps because they add to my insomnia ....

Good morning, Undies! Since it's been quiet here lately, I hope that's good news.
You guys's drinking dreams are hilarious. I just typed out this big saga of my day today and the cat deleted it. It's the usual--daughter, work, plus I just put in Bowie's last album for the first time, that's still more raw than I thought. Tonight was the first time in 9 months I really wanted to drink. I wont but I sure as heck wanted to. V-day probably has something to do with it--I've never had a real reciprocated romantic (physical) relationship with anyone and now I quit drinking I can't even pretend to anymore! I know people have worse problems but I feel I'm just not ready to give up. I really hate V-day today.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never liked Valentines Day BlueFairy - I think it's silly.
I'm not against romance - just cynical consumerism

D