Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 9

Old 01-28-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
Mine's a dude too Last Chance. A slimy, sneaky, sweaty, shifty good for nothing dude. Some one here kindly reminded me the AV is not real. But I swear I can see mine sometimes lol!!
My AV is the devil! An evil serpent looking thing with red eyes, sharp teeth & a psychotic laugh! Scary!!!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

So I'm at a basketball game & who did I see??? My psychologist!!! She lives really close to me. Ugh! She knows so much crap about me & has kids my kids ages. They will go to the same high school!

I'm feeling exposed. :-(
Old 01-28-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Have you seen the movie The Babadook? That's my AV.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
My AV is the devil! An evil serpent looking thing with red eyes, sharp teeth & a psychotic laugh! Scary!!!
The most notable thing about mine is he has no legs to walk to the shop, no money to pay for booze, and no arms to open the bottle. Without me he is annoying, but useless.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jemma44 View Post
Have you seen the movie The Babadook? That's my AV.
I haven't seen the movie but just googled it & that's a scary looking AV! Ha
Old 01-28-2016, 11:17 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lastchance77 View Post
The most notable thing about mine is he has no legs to walk to the shop, no money to pay for booze, and no arms to open the bottle. Without me he is annoying, but useless.
Brilliant!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:24 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
So I'm at a basketball game & who did I see??? My psychologist!!! She lives really close to me. Ugh! She knows so much crap about me & has kids my kids ages. They will go to the same high school!

I'm feeling exposed. :-(
That must be a horrible feeling Kiki. It reminds me when I went to my first (ever) meeting with a therapist. I was pretty open and felt pretty vulnerable. Four hours later I met him in a pub. Whoops.

I also know what people mean about not wanting to go to AA because of the anonymity thing. My local AA meeting is about 180 paces from my front door. That's about as local as it gets!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:31 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

How are you today Andy?

I hope the feelings subside for you, and apologies if I was a bit gauche with my attempt at humour in my post last night.

In hindsight it could have been interpreted as belittling how bad things were, nothing could be further from the truth. Some times I get really high and buzzy and I was definitely like that yesterday afternoon and night. That comes out in my humour. It drives my girlfriend to distraction as she never knows which Tufty is going to turn up. :-)
Old 01-28-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

just finished ....i hope ....pukage
Old 01-28-2016, 11:36 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
Hey guys, I'm still hanging in there... lost track of days just living life I suppose. Every free moment is spent studying. Sigh
High BB, glad you're still hanging in. Good luck with the studying. Rather you than me. I hope you're well other than that.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:38 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tufty13 View Post
How are you today Andy?

I hope the feelings subside for you, and apologies if I was a bit gauche with my attempt at humour in my post last night.

In hindsight it could have been interpreted as belittling how bad things were, nothing could be further from the truth. Some times I get really high and buzzy and I was definitely like that yesterday afternoon and night. That comes out in my humour. It drives my girlfriend to distraction as she never knows which Tufty is going to turn up. :-)
Morning mate,

Really wasn't for getting out of bed at all this morning but didn't want to wallow all day, the wife gave me a bit of a push and now working from home rather than doing nothing at all.

To be honest last night I didn't see your second post until later on when I read back thro so was the only reason I didn't reply as it was late and I was about to get my head down, please don't apologise at all re the humour it's definitely not lost on me or seen in anyway belittling, appreciate the effort to lighten things up and the support - definitely on the same wavelength so please don't change anything for me.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:55 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal View Post
Andy-what day is this for you? Hang in there. At least for me, once I passed through this hurdle it's got easy once again. Do you have sober recovery on your phone? That helped me. What about a meeting?
Don't listen to your AV. You don't want to start over.
Day 77 KIR and no way can I start over so have to keep pushing on thro this without doubt.

I do have it on my phone also - becoming another obsession of constantly checking and reading but one that is of course helping, sometimes need to learn to put it down though as it becomes all consuming.

I ended up in bed watching TV as I couldn't get out to a meeting with the wife out and me at home with my daughter, to be honest she was the one doing the looking after tho.

Still questioning myself re the meetings to be honest - been to 3 now (2 AA & 1 CA) and will continue for now, whilst I'm getting something from the shares I'm not convinced the whole thing is for me, still open minded at present though. Unable to get out to one again tonight but will go to one Saturday and Sunday.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:49 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Thanks Andy,

I'm glad I didn't p*ss you off, maybe my paranoia is a hangover from smoking too much grass.

Anyway, I really hope your mood stabilises, I know what it's like and I know you'll come through this. I think we're very similar other than you've come to your senses at a younger age than me.

I've recently been getting really low with thoughts that everyone else is having a great time except me. Really strong feelings that I'm missing out. Do you get this?

I've changed things slightly by no longer fighting these thoughts and have just accepted them. It was definitely the thoughts of missing out that was getting me down.....not the actual "missing out".

I now say to myself, "hey, it's fine to feel like this, it's normal and its part of the process of growth & change".

That way it's easy to come back to my conscious self and affirm that I do not want to be another middle aged casualty of drink and drugs that you see everywhere on a Friday and Saturday night. One of those people that have never grown up or sobered up.

Half an hour ago my very best "drink and drugs mate" phoned me for the first time in ages. After a bit of a natter and a generic chit chat I told him I'd stopped drinking and drugging which was a big step for me.

This guy is a good-time-Charlie, he's all pints of cider, mdma and shots of sambucca. If you can drink it, smoke it, snort it, roll it, swallow it- he will.

His reaction? I believe his exact words were "I don't blame you, no good ever comes of that sh*t anyway, it's fun at the time but to be fair it's no way to carry on and none of it's real anyway"

I almost dropped the phone.

Ho-hum, we've (or at least I've) just got to find new sober activities that float my boat and accept they're not going to be firing those nuerons up like I was used to. It was never real anyway.

Take care Andy, I'm sending you some man hugs from deepest-darkest Somerset. We're a bit like that down here!
Old 01-29-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Don't worry about that Kiki. It's the least of your worries.

I live in a rural area and regularly come across my Shrink at the Mall or even at events sometimes. We just smile politely and mumble hello. And it is then never even mentioned at the next appointment.

They are sworn to patient confidentiality. They are with us. Not against us. If you had bumped in to that diabolic AV of yours at the game then you could be feeling worried!!!

xxxx
Old 01-29-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Checking in! Doing well with not drinking but am having trouble w my eating. I am munching all the time. My weight is going up, feeling really bad about it. Just caught up on posts...congrats to those who have been doing well and hugs to those who are struggling.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  

*waves from the psych ward.

Hugs all.

I'm in Berkshire. Well, Surrey ATM. Southern UK for the non-Brits.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Hey class

I haven't posted here in a while, have mostly been on the chat instead. I got so fed up about writing the same thing over and over in this thread. I.e. I drank for a couple of days...again...then quit...again. Now it's day three and I've just gone through the usual with insomnia, sweats and anxiety.

But I have no choice but to keep trying. I'm thinking of seeing a councelor, I have a hard time facing my life sober and the anxiety just gets me after some time sober and off on the rollercoaster I go.

I am happy to see many of you are doing so well and also that those of you who are struggling keep coming back!

You have all helped me enormously
Old 01-29-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tufty13 View Post
Thanks Andy,

I'm glad I didn't p*ss you off, maybe my paranoia is a hangover from smoking too much grass.

Anyway, I really hope your mood stabilises, I know what it's like and I know you'll come through this. I think we're very similar other than you've come to your senses at a younger age than me.

I've recently been getting really low with thoughts that everyone else is having a great time except me. Really strong feelings that I'm missing out. Do you get this?

I've changed things slightly by no longer fighting these thoughts and have just accepted them. It was definitely the thoughts of missing out that was getting me down.....not the actual "missing out".

I now say to myself, "hey, it's fine to feel like this, it's normal and its part of the process of growth & change".

That way it's easy to come back to my conscious self and affirm that I do not want to be another middle aged casualty of drink and drugs that you see everywhere on a Friday and Saturday night. One of those people that have never grown up or sobered up.

Half an hour ago my very best "drink and drugs mate" phoned me for the first time in ages. After a bit of a natter and a generic chit chat I told him I'd stopped drinking and drugging which was a big step for me.

This guy is a good-time-Charlie, he's all pints of cider, mdma and shots of sambucca. If you can drink it, smoke it, snort it, roll it, swallow it- he will.

His reaction? I believe his exact words were "I don't blame you, no good ever comes of that sh*t anyway, it's fun at the time but to be fair it's no way to carry on and none of it's real anyway"

I almost dropped the phone.

Ho-hum, we've (or at least I've) just got to find new sober activities that float my boat and accept they're not going to be firing those nuerons up like I was used to. It was never real anyway.

Take care Andy, I'm sending you some man hugs from deepest-darkest Somerset. We're a bit like that down here!
Cheers Tufty, you're a good un.

Don't get me started on paranoia !! same goes with the amount of weed probably not having helped there.

Feeling in a bit of a better place now thanks, definitely know what you mean on the missing out albeit that hasn't been affecting me as much as it was a few weeks ago, guess due to January being quiet and no plans of anything, its been replaced though by thoughts of the future events which I know 24 hrs at a time etc but it does keep playing on my mind constantly - holidays / business trips etc keep telling myself they are not the here and now so stop beating myself up about something that is not happening.

Went for my haircut earlier and all the conversations were what everyone was upto / how drunk people planned on getting / which pubs etc etc - mine just a quiet one was the answer but sat there thinking haircuts have always been preceding a night out / a trip away and all the conversation we ever have in there was about the big night out and how much partying was to be done - hmmm there's that missing out I guess.

Errr.....and I am missing out tonight too - through choice but not making it any easier, one of our friends birthdays so a big group all off out, not eating just partying, dropping the wife off and picking her up later as no reason she should miss out, no way I would feel comfortable there especially after the last 24 hours, that's the thing the way I feel I don't see when I will be comfortable.

Agree though I think you're right there it is more the thought of missing out than actually missing anything - they'll be nothing different to every other night out we've ever had, everyone getting hammered, fact is for me tonight I wont be upsetting the wife by embarrassing her and her watching my every move unable to relax.

You're mate sounds just like how people would have described me - thing is though it was all far too real but he's right its not real, this is, and we're much better off without it.

Yip the new sober activities are definitely what's needed.

Doing my best to convince myself here that it's not an issue and I'm missing nothing !!
Old 01-29-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 499 (permalink)  

You are missing nothing, Andy. I certainly am not and I still have consequences to face for what I did.

Have a peaceful, sober night. Kxx
Old 01-29-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 500 (permalink)  

Exactly SV, thanks / agreed and you too.