Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 2

Old 01-14-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

I'm so excited to be starting day 6! I know the next 4 days will be alcohol free as I'll be skiing with my family and that will get me to 10 days. :-) I've not had 10 days in a very long time. I love the feeling of not having to hide alcohol from everyone!

Still some anxiety during the day but I am sleeping well at night so that helps.

I'll be checking in every day to keep myself accountable. I'm so thankful for SR
Old 01-14-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
I'm so excited to be starting day 6! I know the next 4 days will be alcohol free as I'll be skiing with my family and that will get me to 10 days. :-) I've not had 10 days in a very long time. I love the feeling of not having to hide alcohol from everyone!

Still some anxiety during the day but I am sleeping well at night so that helps.

I'll be checking in every day to keep myself accountable. I'm so thankful for SR
Great attitude, congrats on day 6!
Old 01-14-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. I thought maybe I could join this group thread - been sober since Jan 5. I read through some posts this morning and found lots of great encouragement. This will be my TENTH day - woo hoo!

Mornings are always much tougher for me than evenings. Before, I would open up a bottle of wine as soon as I was alone (and I work from home). I had convinced myself that the wine gave me the jumpstart I needed for the day. Suffice to say, it NEVER did. The problem now, is that I still don't have the productivity and motivation I desire for work, and that anxiety makes me want to drink every morning.

Anyways, just checking in and joining if you all will have me.

Cheers to another day!
Old 01-14-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Do your best

Afternoon everyone
Old 01-14-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Day 14. Two weeks. I'm questioning sobriety much more than I should, so I am grateful every morning I wake up having completed another day. Lots of prayer. Going to another open bar event tonight. Can't get out of it, but I will strengthen my mindset throughout the day. I have made it through many of these in the past.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Welcome, Seep9871
Old 01-14-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Sunflower, raising kids was the most difficult job I ever held; 24/7 with no breaks, sick leave, or compensation. You are doing great; the irritability will lessen with each and every passing day of sobriety. If you aren’t taking a good multi vitamin, you may want to consider adding one. Alcohol depletes many important nutrients from the body, with B vitamins most noted, which are essential for the nervous system.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

JL, getting through the funeral should alleviate a lot of the pressure you are under. Hang in there, you will get through this.

Mish, I can relate to exactly what you are feeling. I felt so strong in my sobriety in ’14 after hitting 8 months. After a series of stressful events, I caved to the thought that I deserved a glass of wine one evening, thinking I could moderate. Well, we all know how that ends. A year and a half later, here I am. However, learning from past mistakes makes us stronger; the key word is “learning” not “repeating.”

Nic, previous detox periods definitely included sugar cravings, with lots of mood swings and fatigue for me. Starting day 7 today, with only 2 cookies consumed during that period. I feel so much better, physically and mentally. My thought, sugar is a better substitute for alcohol, but if possible, try consuming the healthiest of sugar choices. A recently discovered favorite of mine is almond butter with vanilla spread on apple slices, yum!

Deepblue, that 1st day typically was the most difficult for me too. What worked for me was to plan ahead, stock up on food and essentials to allow you to stay in and detox for a few days. That inevitable trip to the store was my undoing too many times. Yes, it still takes a lot of willpower, but it is so much easier if you don’t have to leave the house. You can do this!

Wishing everyone a safe and sober Thursday with the strength and courage to recognize and dismiss the whispers and rantings of the AV.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Morning all.

I love you people. Ya'll are like my ********. I check in here several times a day, and it brings me back to a recovery mindset.

JL, I will be thinking of you today, and I loved the Dorito. Thanks.

Plenny, we should have coffee. People think I have it together. If they only knew that I am a secretly psychotic addict and alcoholic. Work is social, productive, and helps me feel like I am part of the world. I related to everything you said.

Tink, I would like to smack your other half. Stay with us. Now that the booze is gone, relationships will heal. You will see.

Deep Blue, you will find a lot of energy once you quit. We are pulling for you.

Charlie, BIG hug to you. Eat what you want for now. I never found anti-depressants helpful. A small dose of Ability works wonders for me. It is prescribed for me, but costs more per month than I make. So, I order from a place in Canada for a tiny fraction of the price. It is part of my "going to any lengths" to get better.

Sunflower, you are a great mom! You put me shame. My kids learned young that I hit back. The truth is that I am an angry person and should not have been a mom. My two kids are in their mid-30s, and are two of the coolest people I know. Kids are amazingly resilient. If you asked them, I think they would say having a drunk mom was the hardest part of growing up. Hang tough.

Seep, welcome.

Day 7 here. Not looking forward to going to work and hearing, How is the new job going? I got fired for failing a drug test, so . . .

I slept ten hours. Normal for me is seven hours, so a chunk of my day is gone. No matter. The day has many more hours than it used to!

I hope everyone has a solidly sober day.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

For some reason the filter did not like the word t a l i s m a n. How strange.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Just checking in, haven't had time to read everyone's updates, so i apologize 😐.

Day 5! Woohoo!

Made plans for tomorrow evening so I don't get tempted to drink. I can do this! I know I can!
Old 01-14-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Good day, everyone. I had my house inspected this morning, by the landlord. I got it all ready and...it passed. It's a relief.

Anyway, I found some of those old thoughts creeping in. My AV showed up - like Hey, let's celebrate! You're off the hook!

Anyway, fortunately, thanks largely to SR, I have the tools and better awareness to see what's going on.

Hang in there everyone. I'm sure dealing with kids all day has got to be stressful. Be well!
Old 01-14-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Mmmmm, coffee.

Originally Posted by vanaprastha View Post
Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST.

The chair usually announces an upcoming meeting in the "Chat Meetings and Chat Discussions" forum. Here is the announcement for last night's meeting (all the announcements are similar):

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5735079
I will be at tomorrow's.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strugglingJim View Post
day 10, not a good day, stayed home, anxiety and depression spiraling. Regret, embarrassment, self loathing. making another appointment with therapist and then doc for some meds (as little as possible). See if I can drag myself to my first meeting, going to be tough though.
Confront your regrets so that you can change what it is you did that led you there. It sounds like you're being unsparing in your self-analysis, which is good, but it's important to remember that the past is the past and cannot be changed, and the future is the future and is liable to inaccurate projection. You can only manage the now.

Self-loathing is something I went through about a month ago, once I took stock of why my lover refused to promise anything to me at all, why she refused me any offer of hope, and it came home to me just how crappy I'd been to her. But, and this is a big but, that can be turned to our advantage, because when we look back on our own actions with that disgust at who we were, we can decide that we will never be that person again. Although self-loathing is a corrosive emotion, if you're already feeling it, take that feeling and use it to strengthen your resolve to never be that person again.

And go to that meeting, brotha. It's scary at first, and you should get ready for an emotional moment or two, but you need to know -- you are not alone.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Mmmmm, coffee.

Last night at work was brutal, what with the huge jackpot bringing in everyone and their grandmother. People get under my skin sometimes, so it was rough ... but AV was quiet virtually the entire day and I'm finding, at day 14, that this is getting more doable.

I'm also finding that waking up in the morning, clear-headed, to enjoy my coffee and check in here, is a great feeling. Thanks to everyone here, in this thread and at this forum, for this.

Today my weekend starts. The plan today is to clean my home, and once that's done, begin building a speaker-cabinet for the guitar amplifier I'll be buying soon. Loves me some tool-time. Meeting tonight at seven pm. It's a different group than last week's; I'm shopping for the best fit, and looking forward to meeting new fellow-travelers.

It will be a good day.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Woke up feeling pretty weird on day 7. I feel puffy. Maybe I've been eating too much salt.

Anyway, yes I'm being forgiving about my diet for the time being.

Today I'm supposed to meet my boyfriend. We haven't really been in touch or seen each other since Christmas Eve. The ruined Christmas. I'm still not sure what to say. I'm prepared to listen. And then will probably need more time to think based on what he says.

It's so difficult because he's a really good person who is very sweet. But he took me for granted and I feel like I need to be alone and learn to be happy by myself. I can't stand the thought of hurting him though, it hurts so much to think of him being hurt and alone. I hate this.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

I am trying NOT to entertain the idea of calling in. They have not treated me well as an employee. As a customer, I wrote a $10,000+ check to them in November for new siding and gutters. Still waiting on the siding and gutters. I gave notice to be responsible, not because they deserve it. If my new sober life is being a housewife, I would like that to start now.

OK. I will put on my big girl pants and go to work now.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Sunflower, raising kids was the most difficult job I ever held; 24/7 with no breaks, sick leave, or compensation. You are doing great; the irritability will lessen with each and every passing day of sobriety. If you aren’t taking a good multi vitamin, you may want to consider adding one. Alcohol depletes many important nutrients from the body, with B vitamins most noted, which are essential for the nervous system.
I appreciate that, truly. I will go take my B complex and multi now- haven't been good about that.
Have a wonderful day!
Old 01-14-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SillyHuman View Post
I am trying NOT to entertain the idea of calling in. They have not treated me well as an employee. As a customer, I wrote a $10,000+ check to them in November for new siding and gutters. Still waiting on the siding and gutters. I gave notice to be responsible, not because they deserve it. If my new sober life is being a housewife, I would like that to start now.

OK. I will put on my big girl pants and go to work now.
Sorry to hear that, I hate being taken advantage of.
Hope your day improves...
Old 01-14-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
Woke up feeling pretty weird on day 7. I feel puffy. Maybe I've been eating too much salt.

Anyway, yes I'm being forgiving about my diet for the time being.

Today I'm supposed to meet my boyfriend. We haven't really been in touch or seen each other since Christmas Eve. The ruined Christmas. I'm still not sure what to say. I'm prepared to listen. And then will probably need more time to think based on what he says.

It's so difficult because he's a really good person who is very sweet. But he took me for granted and I feel like I need to be alone and learn to be happy by myself. I can't stand the thought of hurting him though, it hurts so much to think of him being hurt and alone. I hate this.
Pain is temporary and he will manage, I am sure of this (you gotta put YOU first). Good luck when you see him...