Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 2

Old 01-13-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

day 10, not a good day, stayed home, anxiety and depression spiraling. Regret, embarrassment, self loathing. making another appointment with therapist and then doc for some meds (as little as possible). See if I can drag myself to my first meeting, going to be tough though.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Day 6, things are ok. I've only had a couple of minor cravings over these 6 days and I feel better equipped to deal. Going to check my blood pressure in a bit, it's been high. Hoping the culprit was booze. I'm suddenly obsessed about my health (took me long enough).

Sober him, you could try checking out some books at the library or bookstore that tackle what's on your mind. I've started a couple that are helping.

Class seems to be hangin in there, glad to be a part of it. Have a good day everyone. If it's not going well, keep posting, go go for a walk, don't drink.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Day 8 and I am feeling great. Had a rough morning dealing with our 4 year old and his meltdowns in addition to recovering from all the sugar I had yesterday. But I decided to turn the day around and stayed productive until now. I went to the gym (trying to get my 16 month old used to the childcare) and that lasted 11 minutes. Came home and went jogging (it's gorgeous out today) , came back and made soup, put little guy to sleep and showered. I am about to eat my soup and watch my reality tv and start some laundry

So glad to be sober, and I am starting to feel really excited about my future, something I haven't felt in ages if ever.

Hope everyone is doing well, happy sober hump day!
Old 01-13-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

How is everyone today?

Just finished day eight.

I find checking in here every evening and morning helps me keep track...
Old 01-13-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
Cara, I was about to post the exact sentiments! My day 4 has been riddled with anxiety and stress. I'm going to a meeting in a few and will hopefully figure out this yuck😢
Hey Optimist, I remember when I got a few months sobriety a few years ago that it did pass. All we need to do is to hang on in there
Old 01-13-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Glad day 7 is over. I didn't give in to my craving for alcohol but I ate the hell out of some sugar today. Yuck. Going to feel awful tomorrow and this sugar crash is making me so relieved that it's bedtime. Just not in a good mood tonight.
Well done on a full week Sunflowerlife. Brilliant!
Old 01-13-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Day 5 coming to a close.

Had a real moment today just out of the blue. Just in work and realised tomorrow was Thursday working week nearly over and instantly I thought maybe I'll have a drink. Instead of trying not to think about it which I used to do, I acknowledged the impulse, thought about how I would feel if I did give in and it passed thankfully. It's shocking how much more productive I am at work. I realise now even just after my 5 days that I was barely functioning.

It's great to see how well everyone is doing, even Januaries finding it really tough are not giving in so thanks so much. The support is so helpful, I couldn't do without it
Old 01-13-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, good to hear that we're all working hard to find ways forward in these early days.

I've been feeling pretty good in my sobriety in the last few days in particular. Followed a bumpy weekend. A certain calm has surrounded me, albeit I've been lucky to have a quiet time of work, massive bonus. Feeling so much happier, calmer and patient in my own skin.

When I was drinking, I would have typically arrived home from work at 6pm and spent an hour obsessively manipulating my next hour to acquire, prepare and position myself for a wasted night of drinking. As a result, I would have been impatient with my family, eager to shift the focus to my affliction. Tonight, I laughed and played games with my daughter - I felt like I was "in the moment", at last again - not felt that truly for years. Was quite emotional from it. To be unshackled from the obsessive thoughts in that bubble is such a huge relief.

I had to ride out some addictive thoughts mid afternoon and was really pleased with how I handled it, and the best bit was it all came spontaneously. I finally escaped a 3 hour meeting at work and a semi-euphoric thought shot through my mind to get home and do beers. I felt the AV sensations in ways I don't really ever do - it seemed to travel my body and I observed it. It seemed child-like, almost innocent - to the point I almost felt sorry for my AV's primeval suggestions. I humoured the moment, and was able to run through my planned mantras. It was gone in less than two minutes. I've never been able to calmly handle those situations quite like that before and it was surreal.

I think this has been my best day so far, due to simple realisations like these. To have more days like today has suddenly become a new driver and desire in my life.

Convinced it's all going to be so worth it! All the best everyone.

CC
Old 01-13-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

CC, way to rock it. I loved what you said about your AV seeming primeval and childlike. That is something to think about. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thanks Silly

It's taken a while but was worth waiting for a good day like today. When the initial fog lifted after a few days abstinence I thought that was that, so to speak.

Today has kind of reaffirmed to me that this journey is more like climbing steps through clouds - never quite know when you're going to suddenly step through a break to see better scenery!

Was worth all of the uneventful plodding days to see the glimpse.

Feel so much better from it.

CC
Old 01-13-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I've just woke to day 4!! Feeling ok so far... Evening seem to be where I struggle the most as that's where I would do most of my drinking. Over halfway through this first dreaded week!!
Old 01-13-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Great post CC, very inspirational!

Jim, the past is gone, good or bad, it's gone and there is nothing you can do to change or improve it. However, focusing on today and improving yourself will align you for a better future. Hang in there, it will get better.

I had an interview this morning for a job that I really hope to get, fingers crossed. I know they are interviewing several candidates. Day 6 and feeling good. I am making a pot of chicken soup and laying low this evening.

I love this class already, thanks for having me!
Old 01-13-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good morning, day 10 here. Feeling sad today but I don't know why. Sad and sober is better than drunk and sad though.

Good luck with the interview Odelle!
Old 01-13-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Can I sign up to the Class? Day 1 again. Feeling lost and miserable...and not at all confident...I was so sure Class of December 2015 was going to be my class. Why do I keep doing this? :-(
Old 01-13-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Welcome Mish! Some of us take longer than others to finally get it; I know, I signed up in '13 too!
Old 01-13-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Mish
what does your recovery plan look like? could you do more so you think?

D
Old 01-13-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hope everyone had a good day. I wasn't able to catch up on all I missed today.
Oof. Could not get out of bed this morning. Pushed snooze until the absolute last minute.
Worked the lunch shift today. It was pretty slow.
Honestly I feel the best at work. I'm the best dressed I ever get, I'm working with people who care about what they do, and who I like and respect.
I fight my insecurities every day, hoping that I'm not acting in a way that will make them dislike me. If I'm being honest. I feel like I need validation all the time. Is there a way to not feel that way and just accept yourself and feel good about how you're acting and presenting yourself? Others tell me I appear confident. It always surprises me.

Day 6!
Old 01-13-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

JL, sorry for your loss. You & your family are in my thoughts & prayers.

Hi everyone,
It is day 10. Up until today any time alcohol crossed my mind I changed what I was thinking about, pushed the thought away and wouldn't even consider it. Today the thoughts have crept in a little bit more. Not too bad they are just more there now so I feel like I have to be more diligent. I am glad to be on day 10

Thanks for posting everyone and letting me be a part of this class.

I hope everyone has a Happy Thursday
Old 01-13-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Day 9. Struggling a little. So many people to make amends with and reminded again by the other half how he won't be hanging around if I screw this up.... reminded also of all the people he has observed who have distanced themselves from me.. a couple of names in there have really thrown me.
I don't have much to offer anyone in the way of advice but I read everyone's posts and try to think of ways to respond but the words don't come easily to me.
As I get stronger will try to plug in more proactively but for now am there mainly in spirit!!
-Tink
Old 01-13-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Administrator

Give things a little time to settle Tinkerbelle...remember you're the reason you're doing this, noone else...that's too music pressure