Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 2

Old 01-18-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Hi Free,

I take a liver support vitamin each morning that I get at whole foods. Milk weed and thistle are supposed to help too. I googled it and came up with some good stuff. Good luck!
Old 01-18-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Thump, you inspired me to write in my journal. Last summer, a very good friend gave me a journal when I was going through a massive heartbreak. I just started writing in it on New Year's day. It feels good. It's great to pour out your thoughts and troubles etc and just close the book. They are not lost but they are out of your body. That's how I see it anyway
Old 01-18-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Hey Free2B84, we can't give advice but I think we are allowed to share. I take Super Thisilyn daily, I have for years. It's not a "detox" but a natural supplement to support the liver, the primary ingredient is Milk Thistle. I have some detox teas and plan to do a complete detox soon, I've been pumping in healthy foods and vitamins/supplements to help prepare my body. I used to fast periodically many years ago, and it does wonders! The hardest part is getting past the first 3 days of hunger pains.

You may want to read product reviews before deciding, and of course, check with your doctor first.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Hi all. I hit two meetings tonight. The second one was tiny, and the topic was "Is AA a religious or spiritual program." For the first time, I said outloud in a meeting that I am atheist. No one freaked out. I just said that my HP is not deity, and no one questioned it.

My HP is existence, and it works to replace the word "existence" everywhere but where says to pray to something. It will work for me.

It is inspiring and comforting to read all your posts. No matter how someone is feeling or what they are going through, I relate.

Everyone have a good night, or a good day, or both.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:31 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Mixed Day

I didn't come close to drinking today but had a few shouts from my AV in relation to feeling iced out by my spouse (who has bipolar and is in active depression along with med changes that are causing aggression). It's been tough trying to be supportive and give her space, patience, compassion, not trying to "fix" things - and not reacting to temper flares - while going through my own struggles. And treating myself with gentleness. Besides realizing we are both struggling and riding emotional and brain chemical adjustments, a thing that has been helpful to me is repeating the airline safety tip "first secure your own mask..." Oh, and getting out of the house helps, too A gym trip gave me some space from whirling around in my own escalating thoughts and some endorphins.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:17 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Morning all. Day 14. Anyone else breaking out like a teenager? No? just me? B***er.
Have a good strong Wednesday everyone. I commit to another 24hours.
Welcome newbies!
Old 01-18-2016, 11:26 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Wow....really really struggling with a full blown craving!!! this is a tough one. :-(
Old 01-18-2016, 11:43 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  
Sut

Hello everyone! Glad to see you guys doing well (for the most part, at least ). Early day 2 here. Slept surprisingly well last night, but I always sleep well the next night after a bender, because I’m just so sleep deprived. Day two is when the tossing, turning and the irritability kicks in... so not looking for that one..
With that said, day two started on a fairly good note at work and a pleasant e-mail from my family member! Feel pretty positive mentally and so far not too bad physically.

Good luck guys!
Old 01-18-2016, 11:45 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
The finality of our split has me very sad and AV was and is persistent. I'm not going to drink. I'm going to go home tonight and write her a letter -- whether I send it or not I don't know, and that might well be irrelevant anyway. I just need to express my feelings in the written word, so that I may dissect these emotions before committing them to paper and ink.
The letter is written, and I will send it. I feel so much more at peace for having written it, too.

Thanks to everyone here for being there when I needed it. Thank y'all so much!

Old 01-18-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
Wow....really really struggling with a full blown craving!!! this is a tough one. :-(
Hang in there, and lock that AV out.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:53 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mish

remember the cravings tips here - you can do this!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

this is a great link too:

http://www.spiritualriver.com/alcoho...olic-cravings/

You're worth fighting for, right?

Fight this

D
Old 01-18-2016, 11:57 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Olivia2011 - it's just a website. https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

If you search the name it comes up and you just register for free. I've only done the first bit so far. It gives you exercises to do along the way. I'm usually too impatient and will rush through stuff but I'm trying to let it sink in before I move on. You are right about my OH. He got made redundant the first time about 6 years ago and nothing has gone well since. He does try but doesn't seem to ever get anywhere and of course as time goes on it just get worse and worse. He's been doing a lot of volunteer stuff and as proud of him as I am about that it doesn't pay the bills. We have 3 children and I'm trying my best to keep them out of it and to keep life as normal as I can for them but it's hard. He's looking into setting up a business but even if that goes well it will be a long time before he gets any money from it.

I've started binge eating. The last couple of nights I've had an hour or 2 to myself and have just eaten loads of chocolate, cake, crisps - anything I can get my hands on. My addictive behaviour has just moved on to food.

I keep waking about 4am. I wake up feeling very anxious and then all the negative thoughts just start whirling round my head. In the past I would have stayed awake and just got up about 5 for work but I've been letting myself fall back to sleep. It means I've been getting in work later than normal but I'm not busy so it's not affecting anything and I don't have anyone to answer to. Anyway this morning I made a promise to myself that I would take care of myself today - good food, some exercise and to try and keep positive.

Thump I love the idea of keeping a journal but I'm always worried someone will find it and read it and I'm not very good at getting things out in words. My brain is more scientific/mathematical not creative or artistic in any way. Maybe it might be worth a try though. Set a diary up online and use that to get everything out - stuff I just can't say out loud.

Tuesday morning here and I'm sat at my desk ready for the days work. If I could have any wish granted I wish I could be so inundated that I had to work long hours to keep up with it all. As it stand I'll be going home early afternoon to get my kids from school and I am grateful that I can do that, I know many don't have that option.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:21 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Charlie, do it as you see fit. I worry about someone finding my journal, but I also think that if I live honestly, not much will be different either way.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:33 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
Hang in there Mish-you've got this. Try going for a walk or go and treat yourself to ice cream or something!!
It will pass soon..you're already doing this Hun
Old 01-19-2016, 12:54 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Thanks Thump, D and Nic. Knocked me for a six. Still hanging on tho. xxx
Old 01-19-2016, 12:57 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  
Administrator

what about having plenty of fruit and nuts around charlie?

Instead of eating chocolate now I'll have some cashews, or some grapes...I even like the odd pickled onion.

D
Old 01-19-2016, 01:45 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Funny you should say that Dee - I've a bag of pears and bananas on my desk. Nuts I stay away from because I will eat loads of them! I've some homemade veg soup for lunch. I've brought my gym kit so hoping not to talk myself out of going on my way home from work.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:38 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strangeangel View Post
Was researching ways to detox my body now that I really want to quit drinking. It's seems like so much to do. Basically I would have to stop eating all the stuff I like and give up coffee too. How do I be ok with giving up just alcohol, which is huge! When I want to get sober, I feel like I have to change EVERYTHING about me. Does anyone else feel this way. How do I deal with us? I'm always feeling like I set my self up for failure
HI there. I am also a very black and white person- all or nothing type of deal. I started an intense diet just a week after getting sober- so far I am sticking to it and feeling great! There are other things I am slowly working into my day, like meditation and yoga. Maybe you can write down your goals and add one thing in each week or 2, could you try that?

As for liver detoxing, I love NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine). Very powerful antioxidant and liver detoxifier. Builds the immune system too. I have been taking it for 6 months now (and used to take it when drinking to help with hangovers.) I am
convinced that it is the reason my colds have been so mild this winter.

As for giving up coffee, hell no! Look, stopping drinking is a huge step. Start with that then slowly adjust your diet. After you get that taken care of and if you really feel coffee is hurting you, do a 3 day cleanse where you drink tea instead. I personally wouldn't ditch the coffee. What kind of junk foods are you eating? I can help you find substitutes if you'd like Hang in there, and be gentle with yourself.

Last edited by Sunflowerlife; 01-19-2016 at 02:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-19-2016, 02:54 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Day 14 over here in the Sunshine State.
I was in an amazing mood yesterday morning and just hoping it lasts the rest of the week. I have been hitting a slump in the evenings but I am going to attribute that to these early morning wake ups (4:30 this morning.)

I had a thought this morning about how different our lives would be if alcohol was an illegal drug. I used drugs for many years of my life- started with pot (I would wake and bake before going to high school), and ended up with a coke addiction in my 20s/early 30s. At one point I was shooting it up. I didn't have to do a program to stop- didn't need to detox or go to rehab. I simply stopped using. I moved states and when I did I couldn't get it anymore and didn't seek it out. I don't crave it, don't want it and wouldn't touch it if it was in front of me.

How much easier would life be if alcohol wasn't everywhere? In our faces at the restaurant, the county fairs and festivals, Chucky Cheese for God sakes. There is no way of knowing and perhaps the idea is pointless since it will never be, but I truly sometimes believe that if it was harder to get, I wouldn't have wasted so many years drinking the stuff. I mean that's what makes this so hard- booze is everywhere and it's considered "normal" to drink it. I really wish this wasn't so.

Anyway, just an early morning ramble. I hope everyone is well- I do read all your posts here, just don't always have the time to respond. I am so grateful for all of you, thank you for being a part of my world and for all your support.
~P

Quote of the day:

Old 01-19-2016, 03:02 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Hi fellow classmates :-) evenings are definitely harder than during the day. Probably because I'm working,distracted and didn't usually start drinking till 4pm on weekdays.
I've got some decaf coffee, and pizza in front of me ... Going to watch some trash tv and hopefully stay close to all of you guys. Almost finished day 9.. Hurry up day 10!!!