Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 2

Old 01-17-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Awe, Jane, I'm so sorry you have to deal with shingles. My daughter came down with shingles a couple of years ago (early 20s) and she was miserable. Calamine lotion and a prescription from the doctor got her through it within a week. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Old 01-17-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Yoo-hoo..., StrugglingJim.... You ok?
Old 01-17-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry Thumpalumpacus. Good for you not letting the AV get the upper hand tho

D
Thanks, bud. And thanks too for your emphasis on plan. Over the last month, understanding that has helped me get ahead of crises like this one so that they don't hit out of the blue, and when they do hit I'm ahead of the curve.

Your thoughtfulness and support -- as well as that of all the folks here, such as in chat last night -- are truly appreciated. You're my group when I can't go in person.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hello - lots going on today. Will check in after church!

Sunflower - you are great! Thanks for link and info. BTW - my husband plants tons of sunflowers on our farm for our fall festival. They are so pretty. Ppl love them. I have a few really beautiful sunflower wreaths /wall hangings! Love em.

AA - good topic. Been on SR all morning. Hope to get on later. Gotta get some office stuff done today too.

Take care.

Olivia
Old 01-17-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Morning all. It is 9 am and I have already been to two meetings. Cravings are not an issue. I just do not want to be at home. It feels claustrophobic and dreary to me. I want to play in the plentiful sunshine, but it is 20 degrees here.

I just want to go, go, go, but not if it includes housework or other drudgery. So, I am going to a lot of meetings. Connecting with people feels good. I need it enough to tolerate the preachers in AA.

I ordered "One Breath at a Time; Buddhism and the 12 Steps." I am interested to see how it resolves the Judeo-Christian nature of AA with the eight-fold path. Powerlessness should be interesting too since there is no deity to then get empowered by.

I went to see Star Wars last night. They stole my ending. I have been working (or not) on a novel for a decade, and the climax takes place on beautiful Skellig Michael, off the coast of Ireland. That is where the final scene from Star Wars is shot. If it was some stupid movie that did not matter, it would not matter. But it's flippin' Star Wars!

Oh well. I guess it must have been a really great idea if George Lucas used it. The novel probably would never have gotten finished anyway.

In lieu of housework, I am going to go walk my dog in the freezing cold.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

SH, do that housework when you get home. The lift from being in a clean house is good, and your hands will be busy.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Hi all -

Checking in this Sunday morning. I had a normal weekend, didn't need to hide out. Went out to a birthday celebration on Friday at a restaurant, followed by a couple bars and a comedy show. I stuck with iced tea and water all night. It was fine. I didn't have as much fun as I would have if I'd been drinking, which is kind of disappointing. However, Saturday morning I felt proud. Went out and saw a movie last night (normally I smuggle in a bottle of wine for the movies). I enjoyed it a lot sober! Now going to have a relaxing Sunday and will work out later tonight for some HEALTHY endorfins. Tuesday will be 2 weeks for me.

I'm still riding this wave and loving it. After reading the forums I think I now need to put together a plan for if/when my "pink cloud" goes away.

What I'm learning is that it's easy for me to around public social drinking environments and slip into "having fun" mode. I can still let my guard down and talk to people easier without the help of booze. This is wonderful! I always thought I needed it to loosen up and socialize, but it really is just a mindset. My hardest times are when I'm sitting alone on my couch with nothing to do.

Anyways, that's my update today. Everyone have an enjoyable Sunday
Old 01-17-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

@ julyseacoast & loopylou

I have had a couple mornings like that recently too! I wake up "hungover" and for a moment my thought is "ugh why did I do that again, no more" and then I quickly snap out of it and remember I didn't! Ha! Hopefully just body still adjusting, and I think is Chicago weather might have something to do with it...

Question for you JulySeaCoast -

You said you were on day 16 and had a glass of wine last night. Are you trying moderating? Curious how that's going and what your plan is. It is heartbreaking for me to think ill never be able to drink wine again, and I'd love to get to a place where I can have a glass or 2. Wine is part of my profession as a sales manager and I'm a certified sommelier. Of course, it was probably part of the slippery path I have been going down the last five years, but it's something I really do not want to lose completely.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Day 13 for me ... Sleeping like a log. Today I woke up at noon - that's another day of almost 12 hours of sleep! I'm justifying it by thinking that I haven't slept well in years with the 3am wake up from an all day/night bender and this is just my body's way of healing.

Eating like a horse ... But, I'm ok with that if it means I'm not drinking. I figure the 2-4 bottles a day of champagne or wine I was drinking a day, plus the bad food choices, are still more calories then my over eating. I'll focus on cutting down when I'm not so fresh to sober.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!
Old 01-17-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Back on Day 1 I'm ashamed to say. I know why and know I could have come here and stopped it happening but I didn't. The best I can say is that I have learned from it and recognise that I need to have no holes in my plan.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Quiet weekend

Checking in while watching football. It's going well with me. I hung out with my cousin and her wife yesterday, usually something that involves beer, but it was mellow and easy to avoid drinking this time. In addition to reading through areas of SR, I downloaded Almost Alcoholic, which resonates well for where I'm at and what planning, reflection, and such I need to do. I came in 4th of 19 in a recently started weight loss contest; quitting drinking has a much better effect on my waistline than quitting smoking (I gained about 20 pound over the last 5 months since ditching smokes ). After some initial issues, I'm sleeping well.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

[QUOTE="Lulu212;5746049"]

Eating like a horse ... I figure the 2-4 bottles a day of champagne or wine I was drinking a day, plus the bad food choices, are still more calories then my over eating.

Can't stop eating and sleeping either. It's mad! Day 12 here. I have been getting ten hours a night and eating everything in sight. Even chocolate. And don't get me started ontea and coffee
!!!
If an average bottle if wine is about 800kcal, I reckon we're doing OK! I'll worry about the food later, right now I'm focusing on my liver healing and getting healthy.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Half of that post was me talking, not a quote... Anyone want to teach me how to actually use my phone?!

Goodnight all. Have a peaceful Sunday Sleep. I'm off for a super sleep (10 hours again, if the puppy allows!)
Old 01-17-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hi all. A few days since I posted, but I've been keeping up with everyone's updates - we have quite a big class nowadays - great to see! Good to see people making some solid progress and milestones - you're doing great and proud of you all!

I've been feeling pretty healthy and active in recent days, not usually the case in the dark month of January. I've definitely noticed that my immune system seems to be ramped up a notch - cleared a cold in double quick time. Minor winter ailments used to drag on for weeks sometimes during my regular drinking phases.

Not hearing too much of the AV/cravings in the obvious sense, although I've noticed a few times my mind wandering around romantically reminiscing about the "home comforts" of my bygone drinking lifestyle. Not so much a fight with the AV, more a diplomatic exchange of opinions! Feel that I can deal with these episodes, but can't get complacent. Really got to be on my guard from now on, as it was laxity with these rationalisations that caught me out when I last quit 2 years back.

I've been looking out for any sign of weight loss, given the calories I used to pack away with my heavier beer sessions, however not much to report on that front. That's despite regular running and gym. A bit disappointed, but I have gone for a few more sweet treats. Difficult to second guess things this early on, so many internal bodily adjustments afoot.

I really need to buckle down and capture a bit more quality sleep a few of you have accomplished! I've had better quality sleep, but quantity has suffered. Reason - I've enjoyed and felt so much more productive on evenings, I've been running my bedtimes a little too late! Something I can try to fix and hasn't affected my daily activities much.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the day/night, wherever you are everyone. We're now over half way through the month already! Can't believe it. Time seems to fly when sober and lucid!

CC
Old 01-17-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cara39 View Post
Back on Day 1 I'm ashamed to say. I know why and know I could have come here and stopped it happening but I didn't. The best I can say is that I have learned from it and recognise that I need to have no holes in my plan.
Hi sorry to hear you are back to Day 1 - I suspect many of us have been there more than once - I know I have! But recovery is often not a straight line - go for the trend and you will be fine. It's good that you are not waiting too long to get back to Day 1. Onwards and upwards!
Old 01-17-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Just ending Day 4...no drama, no pink cloud...just existing really - and eating and sleeping!
Old 01-17-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Today is day 15!

Watching 2nd Football game of the day. Just at home with my wife. Been drinking diet Dr Pepper in short glass with lots of ice ( my new drink).

I have been extremely antsy last few days... Especially late afternoon and early evening. I assume this is because, that is the usual time I would start drinking...

Hard to sit still. But not wanting to leave house either.

I'm good for now. 2 weeks is the longest I have not drank ..in I don't how many years. At least 5 yrs.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Well I'm ashamed to say I'm back on day 2. I don't know if many others have experienced a degree of agrophobia increasing as their drinking became more problematic? Got to day 11 and been taking baby steps to get out and about a little more each day. Tackled a shopping centre Sat and freaked out as the anxiety was too much and had to leave. Felt so defeated and I gave in and drank a bottle and a half of wine Sat night when home alone. That's actually less than I drank every day but anyway.. tripped over the dog in the dark and split open my chin and chipped my back teeth from clashing my teeth together. Of course that's when the OH arrived home and understandably hit the roof.
Well we actually sat down and talked everything through. He pointed out that I have to embrace my little victories instead of focussing on my setbacks. We talked more yesterday and I feel like he is now actually plugged in and listening, encouraging me to keep going rather than
dictating it.
I understand now Dee as you pointed out it was too much pressure . I actually feel loved and supported now and and want to do this for myself as well as my family.
The support too from the SR community has blown me away. The lovelymessages too of support and encouragement mean so much.
Will have a lovely little reminder on my chin the next time I'm tempted too.
Thanks for listening those that will read this and here's to a sober Monday... and beyond.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seep9871 View Post
@ julyseacoast & loopylou

I have had a couple mornings like that recently too! I wake up "hungover" and for a moment my thought is "ugh why did I do that again, no more" and then I quickly snap out of it and remember I didn't! Ha! Hopefully just body still adjusting, and I think is Chicago weather might have something to do with it...

Question for you JulySeaCoast -

You said you were on day 16 and had a glass of wine last night. Are you trying moderating? Curious how that's going and what your plan is. It is heartbreaking for me to think ill never be able to drink wine again, and I'd love to get to a place where I can have a glass or 2. Wine is part of my profession as a sales manager and I'm a certified sommelier. Of course, it was probably part of the slippery path I have been going down the last five years, but it's something I really do not want to lose completely.
Hi Seep - no, not trying moderating. I've tried it before, a la deciding to drink two glasses of wine a night. It just did not work for me. I was juggling, thinking well I really want three, so that means only one the next night.......etc. It was exhausting thinking so much about it. Easier to stop altogether. So, I had the one glass Friday night and nothing since. No real temptation at the dinner hour, my drinking time. I make my cranberry/seltzer/lime and drink it out of a wine glass. The future? I don't know. Will I want a glass or two of champagne at a wedding or a birthday? Probably I can do that. I take it a day at a time
Old 01-17-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Forgot to say, Seep, that yeah, it breaks my heart that I can't drink wine like I want to everyday. My neighbor was injured yesterday so we went to pay a visit and my friend offers us wine. She had a glass, my husband (who drinks very little) had a glass and I said no thank you. I was bummed but I shook it off and had a good visit. Good luck, Seep! Can't be easy for you because of your profession.