Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 9

Old 01-14-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Montage of Heck is the latest Kurt Cobain doco. It was touted as being very good but it seemed to me there was no new material, lots of boring scribbles from Cobain's workbook - so what? I found the editing annoying and the music too loud. He is a fascinating character so it was disappointing.

New job is going okay. Third shift today. The computer systems are quite complicated and I'm very slow at picking stuff like that up :-/ Must be careful not to psych myself out of it and just concentrate!
Old 01-14-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Tooshabby I saw that on HBO also. His (Kurt) writing and love letters were good.
They would show interviews and the music would get extremely loud. I had to turn it down everytime because the interviews were low volume and the music would blair.
They down played down depression or substance abuse. If i recall Courtney said heroin made his stomach feel better. But Kurt at first would never be like those junkies. The kind of documentary thats has a few good tidbits but lacks direction and purpose.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Wow I've missed so many posts! Really busy this week, doing okay but feel like I'm chasing my tail. Weeks are just bleeding into one another, working 2 jobs, going to meetings, hitting the gym a lot and taking care of myself...how do people do this with kids? Or even pets?
Hope everyone is well, I need to make more class of July time, I feel like I'm just now getting to know y'all!
Old 01-14-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Congratulations Upwardspiral!! You must be hitting your 6 months soon!!
Old 01-14-2016, 10:30 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hey Shabbs, nah I haven't seen it. I absolutely love my music, and I'm a huge Nirvana fan, but I watch one movie every ten years or something - just not my medium. I get bored ten minutes in and inevitably just switch off. Certain films (ones that I really like that I've seen before) I can cope with, but yeah, I mostly just don't watch.

I've been to the cinema once in the past ten years, and even that was only because a friend gave me a free ticket. It was some James Bond film (I forget which one) and I must have checked my watch twenty times throughout!!

Glad I'm not missing out on anything with 'Montage of Heck' though!!
Old 01-15-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Well today has sucked. My poor nan has been ill in hospital for a week after losing loads of weight in the past year. Doc's were unsure what the cause was so they were keeping her in. She can't stand up or walk at this point, whatever it is that's happened has got that bad.

Today she had a massive heart attack and we were called in to say our last goodbye's. It was horrible to see her like that, I just held her hand and talked to her. They moved her to the cardio ward, and a few hours and lots of drugs later, she seems right as rain! Well, not quite, but an enormous improvement. Like this morning hadn't even happened. The next few days will be key, and she's still in poor health, but, yeah, totally different person.

Crazy day.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Great to see you Upwards!

Sorry to hear about your nan, Cbf. So good that she pulled through. Sending positive vibes your way.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:08 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Oh god, cbf, what an emotional roller coaster :-/ Strange that they can't figure out what is going on for her(?) People lose lots of weights for reasons, eh? I wonder what is going on. Sounds like you have a close family. That's lovely.

Absolutely, let, the doco lacked direction and purpose. Exactly!

Hey Upwards....what is your other job?

Hi toki and fantail :-D
Old 01-16-2016, 02:39 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for you and your family cbf.

D
Old 01-16-2016, 02:53 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. She's been holding on to a picture of my daughter and chatting with it this morning. Misses her great-granddaughter! Fingers crossed she picks back up again today.

The guys in work and myself are all convinced there's some kind of curse on us at the moment. Since last October all manner of terrible stuff has happened to us all.

Got to stay positive though. :-)
Old 01-17-2016, 01:07 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Yes, sometimes life just feels like one thing after another. I guess it is, really! I think you're right about staying positive. I mean, why not? As much as possible, anyway. How sweet she is talking to the photo - that's so gorgeous :-)

Work at my new job again tomorrow. I always get frightened I'm not going to be accepted. Especially in this case because I'm coming in in a position of authority (somewhat), and I fear I will be resented. Paranioid, I know. Have to remember not to act too obsequious in order to be liked or like I know it all (which I most certainly don't) to compensate for insecurity. As Mr TS said, humble and generous fits the bill. There to offer what I can to the organisation. I will keep checking in for my free therapy class :-)
Old 01-17-2016, 02:10 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

In my experience Kiwis are pretty casual TS...I'm sure you're doing fine

D
Old 01-17-2016, 02:51 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee :-)
Old 01-17-2016, 03:26 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Yeah, you seem very likeable and approachable TS, sure you've nothing to worry about.

Well, my nan looks like she's lost her fight. She suffered another massive heart attack this morning, and in her current condition there's really not a huge amount that could be done for her. The decision was made not to attempt to resuscitate if she does go, and all the machines and things she was plugged into have been removed. My mum and my aunts and uncles are all at her bedside, so hopefully she'll go as peacefully as possible. I'd like to be there myself in a way, but the hospital is fairly strict on how many can be around the bed. I'm glad I got to see her the other day. We had so many great times together when I was a kid. I used to stay with her and my granddad every weekend from when I was in nappies to when I was in my early teens. I'll really miss her, but I don't want her to be in pain, and the way she's gone down hill in this past 12 months means that there must have been a deeper underlying cause for it all that might never have been fixed.

My mum had me when she was quite young (19), so I was fortunate enough to get to know and spend a lot of time with all my grandparents, and I'm so grateful that she also got to meet her great-granddaughter.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Cbf- I'm so sorry to hear about your nan. It sounds like you've had a wonderful relationship. It is a true blessing that she has been alive to see her great-granddaughter...

(((Cbf)))
Old 01-17-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Shabby- I'm sure you'll do fine. But I hear you about the nervousness.

Fwiw, I employ the 'clipboard method'. The first few days (weeks really), I have a clipboard with post-it notes handy. I try not to talk too much, but take notes about whatever, saying things like "Right, got it." "Oh, I see. I'll get back to you on that", or "Hmm, I'll study that and let you know".
I like to think making those kind of noises lets people know I'm listening, that I have things to learn, and that I'm 'on it'.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss or enviable loss CBF.
I remember my grandfather passed and it hit me hard. My first real loss as an adult.
We are going to my wifes grandfather's funeral today. Death puts it all in perspective. Reminds me appreciate the time I have with others.
Its really nice she got to meet her great granddaughter. My condolences.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

And to you and your wife as well, Let. Hope all goes as well as it can go.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
now's the time

I'm so sorry for your loss, CBF. Hugs.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

You're so right, let, it does put things in perspective.

My thoughts are with you, cbf xxxxx