Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 9

Old 01-08-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hey all! Finally starting to feel better again. Caved in and got antibiotics from the docs, waiting around for it to pass was getting me nowhere.

A bit of mental arithmetic places me on Day 15 if I'm not mistaken. Basically, if I hadn't succumbed at Christmas I'd have done a month, but the nice thing is that I'm physically showing the signs of mostly being sober over the past month. I'm 5' 10" and when I'm drinking I'm still a not-particularly-heavy 150lb, but now, with no booze to bother me I'm losing the love handles and starting to feel like my old self. Back down to 145lbs, but more importantly FEELING healthy (other than the flu, obviously!)

Little things like that make me never want to go near the stuff again.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks for the book suggestion Let, I'll look for it. Glad to hear you're feeling a little better Cbf.

I'm pretty stoked about getting my body back into good working order too. It's taking time and I haven't really lost weight, but since I got on a serious training schedule I've traded some fat for muscle and feel great.

Sometimes I get discouraged and think, "oh my fitness goals have never lasted before," but then I remember that I was a drunk then; and now that's not going to get in my way. Sky is the limit! :-) happy weekend y'all.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a good weekend guys

D
Old 01-08-2016, 09:41 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
now's the time

Let, my rehab was in Cape Cod. It's really scary what's happening there. All these young kids in with me who'd already lost two, three friends a piece. They'd meet their friends at meetings and get the gossip on who'd been narcanned that week and how many times. It was this whole side of the Cape I never knew about. Do you remember the name of the doco?

Thank you! btw. Picked up my 6 month chip this evening. Time for my new favorite, the dancing banana!!

It felt good to go to a meeting and tell a bunch of people. And then to go home and tell my Mom and have her tell me she's proud. Last time I was doing all this entirely in secret (except for SR). It's a lot better to have the acknowledgment that I've accomplished something.

I haven't planned the trip yet... right now I'm just pedal to the metal trying to make as much money as possible to make it happen. After my initial excitement I remembered that I should probably have several months of expenses saved before I go, since I'll be switching to full-time freelance. So that means trip only happens if I can save that money on top of living expenses. But I just signed a new client, so maybe it'll happen!

CBF, wow! I'm shorter than you (5"7') and I'm thrilled to be down to 148 after 6 months!! Then again it's dropping off steadily now. I think my body's finally started to believe me that I really will eat every day now, so a week's emergency supplies aren't necessary.

Have a lovely weekend everyone. I have my first ice skating lesson on Sunday.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:56 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Yeah, congrats on the 6 months, Fantail!
Old 01-08-2016, 10:01 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!

Here is the link to the documentary. It was quit sad. I could relate to doing stupid things to justify drinking.
Heroin: Cape Code, USA l HBO Documentary Films l HBO

Wow, I am 5'10 and 215 lbs. Its all dad bod.

Have a great weekend!!
Old 01-09-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Congrats Fantail!
Old 01-09-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Fantail, congratulations!! You may have read on Cow's thread that last night two gorgeous fantails came flying around playfully within one meter of us. Maybe they wanted me to pass on their congratulations too :-) Such cuties. What is this trip you have planned?

Thanks for the link to the doco. I'll watch that. My new job starts tomorrow. I'm nervous but trying not to think about it. Denial mode. More than anything it;s just that initial awkward phase that necessarily happens when you start a new job. Just have to push through it. Takeaways tonight. I cooked a scrummy meal for the folks last night, so what the heck.

Love to all. Glad you are going strong, cbf :-)
Old 01-10-2016, 12:55 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hey Shabbs! Good on luck on your first day, sure you'll be fine, though!

So it turns out my phone was still logged in to SR when I was in work yesterday and my leg accidentally reported someone's post! Apologies if any of you guys got mysterious leg-messages off me yesterday, too!

Off work today, just a normal day off after being ill most of the week. I still can't hear through my left ear, which sucks because I've got music that I'm waiting to listen to that really needs TWO good ears to properly digest.

Just off out for a walk with the daughter in her pram along the waterfront. I love living so close to the sea. I can avoid all the traffic and noise (although there's not much of that on a Sunday anyway!)

Have a great day (and I'm my leg sends you a message just ignore it :-) )
Old 01-10-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hello from the frigid driftless zone.

fantail- Yay! Sing it, sister! And dance it, too (with the banana).

Not going anywhere today and so am a little coffeed-up. Gotta say though, you guys are a hoot. I actually just spit a little coffee out laughing at your posts (especially since it was all *good* news!)
Old 01-10-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Shabby- Sending good vibes for your first day at work. As Cbf said, sure it will be fine. Btw, I'm assuming the new Bowie album is good? I just read about the David Bowie play in NY- Lazarus. Apparently, it's all his music. The writer mentions 'sailors fighting in the the dance hall, children immune to your consultations'. (I've actually decided Changes is one of my sober anthems.

Cbf- Good for you. You're all in now! (Be careful with that leg though).

Let- Are you still in Seattle? I wish I could see that documentary... Should mention I think I'll watch that Seahawks- Vikings game on-and-off today. Don't have high hopes for MN though.

Upwards- Good going on your fitness goals! Unlike you( besides yoga)I'm not doing anything particular and really should get moving more. I'm 5'7, (and fantail) don't think I'm close enough to 145 as I'd like to be...
Old 01-10-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

The highlight of my week was a funeral.
And I don't mean to be as crass as that sounds. The service for my friend was beautiful. Just one of the good things was a recording of Iz singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Her last trip was to Hawaii and her husband promised to play that song at the service. Beautiful..

Other than that, I had another periodontal procedure and this time it wasn't a total success. Won't go into details but the anesthetic could not reach one necessary spot and it was excruciating. I was ready to say "Let's just call this a wrap. I'm outta here". Had to remind myself it doesn't work that way.

Anyway, again, glad to hear all the great news.
Take care, everyone.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
now's the time

Toki, I'm glad the ceremony was beautiful. My stepfather's niece just passed away... very young, 40 I think. Sounded like an amazing person. She knew she was terminal for a while so she planned her whole funeral. My mother said it was extra beautiful and emotional knowing that it came from her.

TS, the trip is maybe a road trip back to San Francisco. But now I'm conflicted again. I immediately decided to move back when I broke up with the ex. But now I'm hesitating. The big thing is losing the apartment, which is no small thing for someone with my terrible credit. But it also feels like leaving prematurely. I really am stuck on the fence, as I have been for the last 5 months. I hate decisions!!!

Me me me.. Good luck on your first day! Yeah, it's always awkward at first. But that'll get better quickly.

Let, I can't figure out how to watch that documentary but when I do I'll let you know. HBO is so strange about their streaming. I've never understood why they don't just let people buy a show like everywhere else??

CBF, glad you're feeling better. I was starting to worry about you!

Upwards, I just got myself a bicycle for my 6 months present. It's a Jamis Aurora off a woman from my co-op who has barely ridden it. For $300 bucks. Just took it on a test ride and it's in great condition. So happy!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Tokes - I understand about beautiful funerals too. I don't think I told you guys, but Mr TS's son passed away when he was only 21. This was several years ago now. The ceremony was achingly sad and beautiful at the same time.

Gee, fantail, I have to say a road trip back to San Francisco sounds *amazing*. I know what you mean though. It's hard tossing up practicality with pure enjoyment of life. It might become clear as more time passes.

Let, I couldn't get the doco to work either, and it looks so damn interesting!! Something about not living in the US, I think.....

I've been thinking about getting a bike too, Upwards. Must be a great way to get fit. I do wonder if it might exacerbate my upper back pain though, as leaning over tends to make it worse. Shame you can't trial these things. We could go down to the waterfront and hire a tandem for a couple of hours and see how my back handles it.

I'm glad you're with us, cbf :-) I wonder how our ubertoadie is getting along. Sounds like a nice life he has. Couldn't happen to a lovelier guy :-)
Old 01-10-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Forgot to say, toki....yes, the album is terrific. Quite orchestral. A bit creepy in parts (very Bowie) and wistfully beautiful in others. I love the Changes album too. I also adore the singles Heroes and Under Pressure. He manages to capture that yearning of the human heart so well.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Tokidoki, soory about the game. I was rooting for the vikings. How is you dsughter recovering? Glad the service went well.

How is the new job Tooshaby?

Glad you are better CBF and got to some time with your daughter. Cherish that time.

I wish you could see the documentary. HBO is stingy on their programming.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
now's the time

Shabs, the road trip would be amazing. I'm just conflicted. :/ I think I'm just going to tell them (roommates) I'm moving back. I can always change my mind at the last minute.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hi Fantail and Upward! I had and longer post but i hit the back button arghh.
Uber on Toadie!
Old 01-10-2016, 11:48 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

...wow, RIP David Bowie. I was just typing my thoughts here on the latest singles and the new album, which I think are absolutely fantastic. Those dark videos seem all the more poignant in light of the news.

What a loss.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:06 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bowie is really the first of my absolute musical idols to pass on. (I was only 13 when Lennon died).

Stunned.
I was listening to his latest album today and marvelling at his longevity.

A great great body of work and a lot of memories to be thankful for