Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 24

Old 02-22-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

The good thing is that you didn't drink over the weekend obo.
Any idea what causes the anger, anything underlying? I think it would be beneficial to your sobriety to figure that out so you can learn the best ways to deal with it.

We're here for you obo.
Remember, you can come here to vent anytime. If you want to vent more privately you can always pm me.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think Up makes a great suggestion.

You don't seem like an angry guy to me here on SR which makes me think this anger means something.

Maybe a counsellor could help Obo?

I know it's not something you'd be breaking your neck to do but it's got to be slightly more palatable than AA for ya?

D
Old 02-22-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

ANGER.................!!!!

Thanks Up, cheers Dee....

Well no, Im not breaking my neck to see a counselor, but that's probably ego as much as anything else. A good one is so hard to find. After my father died, in ths midst of grief, I though that's what I should, become a counselor, help young men not go down the path I chose.

Why would I be angry....... I was...
victim of my parents domestic violence
victimised by a whole year level for something I didn't do
bullied at school for not being wealthy enough
bashed at 16 by two boxers
glassed at 20....
betrayed by past loves

But they're just life circumstances, all of them more probably than not, an outcome from my childhood!

I don't know why I'm angry. I've always had a streak, since I was a child.

I think its a sense of injustice and when I see it I cant turn away.....

I realise all of this doesn't sound so profound, as I don't really know.

My father was angry, had anxiety, they all say it was from seeing his father die aged 12. That would hurt anyone....

Maybe a counselor is in need here after all!

I have to do something, this is no good for my health, getting so worked up......

Old 02-22-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
I really didn't mean to be gone for such a long time. I've been in Florida with my family for the last few weeks, and everything is good with me.
Obo, I've read your posts, and your angry outbursts sound very familiar to me. My father used to have outbursts like that. They seemed to come out of nowhere, were sometimes quite violent, and were almost always directed toward me (I was not an easy kid, not that that's an excuse). The reason I mention this is because it turned out that his problem was actually physiological, and I wonder if that's something you have considered. It turns out my dad is diabetic, and getting his blood sugar under control also got his temper under control. That doesn't mean he doesn't get angry ever, anger is a normal emotion, but he doesn't have those kinds of destructive outbursts anymore. It might be worth looking into.
Mariah, I am so sorry for what's going on with your niece. i'm glad her kids have the rest of your family, and I really hope she can get herself healthy and together again. I think you made the right decision about the job, too. In a place as understaffed as that one sounds like it is, the potential for devastating mistakes is so high. I wouldn't be comfortable taking that on either. Hopefully the cleaning jobs will keep coming.
Hello to all the rest of you, and I hope you are all well. I'll try to check in more often.
Take care Fools.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Hi Adna, thanks...

I'm just about to book myself in for a full medical here.... I hope I dont have bloody diabetes. I'll be furious if i do...!

I hope you're well, it's been a while!

\
Old 02-22-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

I have a spare class, so am looking into anger management....
This seems accurate for me.....

You may have witnessed your parents' or other adults' anger when it was out of control, and learned to think of anger as something that is destructive and terrifying. This could mean that you now feel afraid of your own anger and don't feel safe expressing your feelings when something makes you angry. Those feelings might then surface at another unconnected time, which may feel hard to explain.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of my anger was an inability to forgive - not just other people, but myself too.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I have to say that say that I had a bit of anger before too. Like Dee, mine was an inability to forgive. I am still working on it but things are much better.

It is also a good idea to get a medical checkup just in case there is something physically wrong. You want to be healthy no matter what so you have many happy years with your wife and daughter.

Good to see you adna. Glad things are good with you.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

So ... I fell asleep around 7:30 this, well last evening, and woke up about a half hour ago (11:45 pm).

I know that I won't be able to get back to sleep for a while.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:05 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

I guess the question then is: How do you forgive...?

So Up and Dee, no pressure, but how did you come to a place of forgiveness, of others and yourself.....

I feel I'm on the verge of something here. Im going to pursue this anger issue and see where it leads me....

stay tuned...............
Old 02-22-2016, 10:24 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

That's a good question. You'll have to give me time to think about how to answer it.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:41 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Let me mention a few things about forgiveness ...
  • Forgiving is not forgetting or pretending something didn't happen, it's about your peace.
  • Forgiveness is about you, not about the other person.
  • It takes SO much more energy to be angry than to forgive.
  • Sometimes anger is about control, or lack thereof ... so I try and remember the serenity prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:47 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Also ... I'm not saying that you won't get angry about things. Anger can be appropriate at times, just not when it is fueled by the past.

I'll keep you updated.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:56 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

I'm getting much better at forgiving (others and myself). Eckhart Tolle teachings have helped me greatly. We are products of years and years of conditioning. How can any of us think or behave differently if we're not even aware that we are being taken over by our incessant thoughts and hungry pain bodies. The same applies to those people who we feel have wronged us.
One way to dissolve the pain body and let go of ego is to practice "being present in each moment".
I can't explain it as well as Eckhart, so I won't try, but you might find a spiritual path helpful too?
Old 02-22-2016, 11:02 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

That was a great post UP, thank you reminding us about the serenity prayer too.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:15 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  
Administrator

I read a book called The Shack.
It's a Christian novel - it's framed as a discourse with God - so again I'm not sure if that would appeal, but anyway the point is - it taught me a lot about forgiveness:

“Forgiveness is not about forgetting. It is about letting go of another person's throat......Forgiveness does not create a relationship. Unless people speak the truth about what they have done and change their mind and behavior, a relationship of trust is not possible. When you forgive someone you certainly release them from judgment, but without true change, no real relationship can be established.........Forgiveness in no way requires that you trust the one you forgive. But should they finally confess and repent, you will discover a miracle in your own heart that allows you to reach out and begin to build between you a bridge of reconciliation.........Forgiveness does not excuse anything.........You may have to declare your forgiveness a hundred times the first day and the second day, but the third day will be less and each day after, until one day you will realize that you have forgiven completely.......”
― Wm. Paul Young, The Shack
“...if anything matters then everything matters. Because you are important, everything you do is important. Every time you forgive, the universe changes; every time you reach out and touch a heart or a life, the world changes; with every kindness and service, seen or unseen, my purposes are accomplished and nothing will be the same again.”
“You... were created to be loved. So for you to live as if you were unloved is a limitation, not the other way around... Living unloved is like clipping a bird's wing and removing its ability to fly... A bird is not defined by being grounded but by his ability to fly. Remember this, humans are defined not by their limitations, but by the intentions I have for them; not by what they seem to be, but by everything it means to be created in my image. Love is NOT the limitation; love is the flying.
“Anger is the right response to something that is so wrong. But don't let the anger and pain and loss you feel prevent you from forgiving him and removing your hands from around his neck.”
“Forgiveness is first for you, the forgiver...to release you from something that will eat you alive; that will destroy your joy and your ability to love fully and openly. Do you think this man cares about the pain and torment you have gone through? If anything, he feeds on that knowledge. Don't you want to cut that off? And in doing so, you'll release him from a burden that he carries whether he knows it or not--acknowledges it or not.”
D
Old 02-22-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Thanks Dee, I'm not really a book person but I will have to check that one out.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:34 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't think I'd like it - but it just spoke to me, UP.

D
Old 02-22-2016, 11:37 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

The quotes you shared have really peaked my interest.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Oh, that's a great book. I loaned my first copy to someone, and they didn't return it, so I bought another - which I don't loan out!

Think I'll read it again while I've got a few days off. Such a great book.