Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Welcome toru. Great to have you on board!
Old 01-11-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Ok Januaries, I'm going to do a light stretch session and get to the coffee shop for some reading before work. Didn't do art today but I did buy groceries (sort of, I was mystified by my mismatched selection) and that was something I'd put off for a while.

Late night dinner tonight: water crackers and white anchovies. I dunno I like them.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Ya'll please tell me no! I just got off the phone with my husband who told me that he got A beer. Now I'm thinking oh a beer won't be so bad I can function with "A"beer. Just because my husband can have a beer doesn't mean I can. I wish it were easier to retrain my brain.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Jillian - remember to fast forward the tape to the last time you drank and felt terrible afterwards. Think about why you joined up on this thread and your reasons for doing so - to be the person you want to be, sober.

No-one can force you to take a drink and you know it will not acheive anything other than make you feel resentful towards yourself and your hubby.

Make some time for yourself and clear your mind, if you have a plan remember to work through your prompts

Make the right choice for yourself - all the best.

CC
Old 01-11-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
Ya'll please tell me no! I just got off the phone with my husband who told me that he got A beer. Now I'm thinking oh a beer won't be so bad I can function with "A"beer. Just because my husband can have a beer doesn't mean I can. I wish it were easier to retrain my brain.
I'm in the same boat. Just say no! It's so much easier said than done...
Old 01-11-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

I've made my decision. I'm going to the grocery store for dinner and decided to get some ice cream.

I just don't understand why associate everything with drinking. I was just remembering back to September when I was sober and we went up to a town where tubing down the river is popular. I remember standing there in the river watching other people drink. I decided to pour my Pepsi over ice into a cup just so that it would look like I was drinking too.

I found the thread on here about Neuroplasicty to be interesting and hoping that one day I will be able to successfully we are rewire my brain.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

I've made my decision. I'm going to the grocery store for dinner and decided to get some ice cream.

I just don't understand why associate everything with drinking. I was just remembering back to September when I was sober and we went up to a town where tubing down the river is popular. I remember standing there in the river watching other people drink. I decided to pour my Pepsi over ice into a cup just so that it would look like I was drinking too.

I found the thread on here about Neuroplasicty to be interesting and hoping that one day I will be able to successfully we are rewire my brain.
I do that too. It stops people asking what's wrong and why im not drinking, and stops them getting suspicious of me. Funnily enough, if people think I'm getting pissed, they never notice I'm actually not... Cause they're too busy in their own bubble.

Congratulations on your choice, you've done the right thing Jillian... And you've also made me go to my freezer and all! Day Seven tomorrow... Yikes
Old 01-11-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glb82 View Post
I do that too. It stops people asking what's wrong and why im not drinking, and stops them getting suspicious of me. Funnily enough, if people think I'm getting pissed, they never notice I'm actually not... Cause they're too busy in their own bubble. Congratulations on your choice, you've done the right thing Jillian... And you've also made me go to my freezer and all! Day Seven tomorrow... Yikes
Thank you. Day 7 is awesome! Keep it going! You made it through your first week!
Old 01-11-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Toru
I think you're already retraining your brain Jillian

D
Old 01-11-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
The wine-o bank is up and running now. My bottle has $40 in it. $10 for every day I haven't had a drink.

I would absolutely, without fail, spend at the very least $10 a day on a bottle of wine, or a fancy cocktail or a couple of beers every single day. And those were light days.
A quick look over my bank statement shocked me as to how much my drinking costs.. About $200 per week.. I intend on putting my booze money towards my Europe trip in September...
Old 01-11-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Good idea. I don't know what I'll do with mine yet but I have a feeling it'll go to healthcare and taxes just like any savings I've ever managed to scrounge up.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

I am struggling. Actually thought of going and getting some beer. No worries about a drug test with booze. Then, I thought that hanging out here on SR is putting thoughts of drinking in my head. Good grief!

One thing I do when I feel overwhelmed is imagine a worst case scenario. My fear is that I am becoming unemployable. So, what if I never work again? I become a housewife. That is all. I don't die. My husband does not leave me. We don't go bankrupt (I don't earn enough to matter much). So, why am I freaking out?

No good reason!
Old 01-11-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

I love how busy it is in here!! Just popping in to say I'm still around, day 9. AV wanted me to buy something today but I ignored it!
Old 01-11-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

CC - yes I sent Soberwolf a PM and he sent me two links! Yay! Been working in my office and haven't checked them out yet.

My husband said he was gonna take a one week break from booze. He's on day 11 and going strong! We get along a lot better wo all that darn anxiety, short tempers, etc. He's more help around the house too!

Great class!
Old 01-11-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
Wow yeah all the added food expenses while drunk and not caring about the bill, or when hungover, and the cigarettes. Thank goodness I stopped doing drugs about 10 years ago, that used to cost even more.
But it's simple enough to just fill the bank with my daily drinking budget. I'd love to see what would happen if I even knew how much I REALLY spent per day with drinking and the associated extras.
But I'm trying to pay down some really bad credit card balances and maybe invest in martial arts classes so I'll stick to $10 per day

Glad it seems like a good idea!
Very good idea.
I hate to think also how much I spent each day at one of the 3 bottle shops I used to frequent. Sadly I would draw out cash to buy my booze so the bottle shop purchases weren't noticed on our credit card bill.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:48 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Day 16

Today was good! Got a lot accomplished. AV stayed quiet. Starting to make plans for my future that could hAve never happened while drinking. Feeling like I'm gonna make it outta this hole!
I'm not fooling myself this time around. I'm aware that tomorrow I may struggle. But with the support of all your posts I'm feeling stronger and know where to turn when it gets rough.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Be strong! I went through the same thing yesterday and nearly caved! if you are in a similar situation to me this will crop up time and time again. Can u ask him not to tell you in future?
Old 01-11-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Today my father inlaw passed. Suffered horribly until our last hospice nurse came in. She was an angel. The family all came running and they all got around him and sang to him while his pulse oximetry readings went lower and lower til it was over.
It was the most painful thing I've seen in a lot of yrs. I've seen terrible terrible things, and been an emt or first responder of some sort for many yrs, but today just crushed me, like a stomped grape. Maybe being older and coming from a bad family just made me so out of place in a family that all came together at the end of someone's life.
I got really profound with myself, in a private brutal way about being an alcoholic. If I kill myself drinking and all these people would be standing over me, thinking what things might have been like if I weren't a drunk.
This fella had lymphoma, smoked cigarettes like a freight train, but that's about it.
Folks we don't won't to die from alcoholism.
I just came home from a refresher class in death.
Whew I'm brokenhearted.
And I'm sober !
Old 01-11-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

JL -- I'm so sorry for your loss. And to your point, life is so precious and so fragile, we must appreciate every moment and not squander it. Peace to you...
Old 01-11-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
Just got ready for work and noticed that I look "fresher" than I have in weeks! Incentive for me to remain dedicated to my recovery.

Here's to a "fresher" Day 3 😊
I received confirmation about my observation this morning! Many compliments on my youthfulness ( I'm 58) today! Great ego boost 😁