Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 8

Old 01-02-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Healthygoals View Post
Good morning everyone.

Been reading and lurking, drinking some days, not drinking others.

Congrats to all of you maintaining sobriety.

I guess I want sobriety but not bad enough?
What makes you want sobriety Healthygoals? I understand, been posting here for years without "making it"... Sometimes I wonder what would be better.... Or different.... if I had been able to quit in 2011. I know that in these past 5 years I've wasted a lot of time, money, and thoughts on booze. All which could have had a more productive means. Keep reading, keep lurking, keep posting. We are on your side.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Well done SoberMarathon!
Old 01-02-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Jemma, sorry you drank and by all means please stay with us. I'm sorry to hear about the relationship troubles. Have you told him what the consequences will be if life continues on this way?
Old 01-02-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Lying in bed hangover free day 48 out of 49... (7)

I need to go get milk and make breakfast for the kids. Safer in bed. We live in a blended family and our kids have been clashing like crazy. Especially the girls. Hope this gets easier someday. Feel like all we do it yell and correct behaviors.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Hi guys... kids deleted the app of my phone. ..excuse to drink... fortunately I only had a bit on NYE in a pity fest alone, then realised the AV was kidding me... reinstalled you all today!
Will be back and chatting asap, happy new bright and positive new year!!! X
Old 01-02-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
41-days, checking in. Had a few challenges throughout the past week, out for dinner with family last night and to a bar with live music afterwards. I'll admit that I'm not overly comfortable being in bars like that just yet but I didn't have much choice given family were visiting from out of town and this is what they wanted to do. Watching others drink and act tipsy ain't my thing, not sure it will ever be anymore. Also had to watch the others break out the champagne yesterday afternoon and just sit around and gab. Again, not my thing anymore so I just focused on keeping our kids entertained.

I was told this first year of sobriety and all the first's that go along with it will be tough - proving to be fairly accurate. Still I have zero desire to drink, the thought of it makes me nauseous, thankfully. No romanticism going on here!

Stay strong everyone. Sobriety is worth it's weight in gold.
You're doing so great SM! I couldn't imagine having to be around alcohol all the time, you should be commended for being so strong!
Old 01-02-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Welcome back enfin!

Blackbird, I hope your day starts to look up! We have a large family and I know quite well the stresses of trying to raise, correct kids who aren't getting along!

Feeling better this morning, the AA meeting was seriously what I needed! Something about listening to others stories and being with people that have the same disease, yet have found a solution, is comforting!

I have a lot of work to do on myself and my marriage, when I drank the other night I sent this women that I had an affair with 9 years ago a Facebook message basically telling her I was still in love with her. My wife saw it before I could erase it and destroyed our laptop, says she's divorcing me and taking the kids! The crazy thing is that I don't love this other women, somehow when I drink I start to think I do, but I'm actually madly in love with my wife! Anyway, its been a rough couple of days around the house, I don't have a drivers licence so I depend on her for most everything!

Alcohol, every time I drink it takes something from me and has never giving me anything good! Each time a little more of me dies and it takes longer and longer to dig out of the hole of depression and overcome the pain I cause others! My wife and family deserve better!
Old 01-02-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ultradad View Post
Welcome back enfin!

Blackbird, I hope your day starts to look up! We have a large family and I know quite well the stresses of trying to raise, correct kids who aren't getting along!

Feeling better this morning, the AA meeting was seriously what I needed! Something about listening to others stories and being with people that have the same disease, yet have found a solution, is comforting!

I have a lot of work to do on myself and my marriage, when I drank the other night I sent this women that I had an affair with 9 years ago a Facebook message basically telling her I was still in love with her. My wife saw it before I could erase it and destroyed our laptop, says she's divorcing me and taking the kids! The crazy thing is that I don't love this other women, somehow when I drink I start to think I do, but I'm actually madly in love with my wife! Anyway, its been a rough couple of days around the house, I don't have a drivers licence so I depend on her for most everything!

Alcohol, every time I drink it takes something from me and has never giving me anything good! Each time a little more of me dies and it takes longer and longer to dig out of the hole of depression and overcome the pain I cause others! My wife and family deserve better!
You poor thing...alcohol makes me also make poor choices about people too... I find my husband different now to when we met 20 years ago, not entirely easy. .. and I find it very easy to fall in lust with people who show me attention and seem to fancy me... usually this is when I am drunk. Otherwise I can keep a tight lid on my emotions and live through it all... the thing is I find once the drunken mistake is made it is very hard to climb out of the hole, it's like giving a tiny part of your heart away and you can't get it back, the sad hing being it was given away drunk, so didn't mean it... and the struggle lasts on into sobriety. ....
Our spouses don't deserve this... sobriety must be the only way as alcohol sure doesn't help however alluring obliteration is....
I hope u can sort it out x
Old 01-02-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
Lying in bed hangover free day 48 out of 49... (7)

I need to go get milk and make breakfast for the kids. Safer in bed. We live in a blended family and our kids have been clashing like crazy. Especially the girls. Hope this gets easier someday. Feel like all we do it yell and correct behaviors.
My family isn't blended, but all we seem to do is yell too.... I think it's kids in general! Be strong x
Old 01-02-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post

You poor thing...alcohol makes me also make poor choices about people too... I find my husband different now to when we met 20 years ago, not entirely easy. .. and I find it very easy to fall in lust with people who show me attention and seem to fancy me... usually this is when I am drunk. Otherwise I can keep a tight lid on my emotions and live through it all... the thing is I find once the drunken mistake is made it is very hard to climb out of the hole, it's like giving a tiny part of your heart away and you can't get it back, the sad hing being it was given away drunk, so didn't mean it... and the struggle lasts on into sobriety. ....
Our spouses don't deserve this... sobriety must be the only way as alcohol sure doesn't help however alluring obliteration is....
I hope u can sort it out x
Yes! Everything you just said!

Sobriety is the only way!
Old 01-02-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Just read this quote and love it; "Serenity is what you get when you stop hoping for a better past" anonymous
Old 01-02-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ultradad View Post
Just read this quote and love it; "Serenity is what you get when you stop hoping for a better past" anonymous
UD - have you ever truly been able to figure out what goes on in your head from the moment you go from being on SR, feeling happy as a sober man, to picking up a beer, that later turns into a dozen and a complete mess? Are you on autopilot when you decide in your head 'screw it, I'm drinking'? I think if you can figure out a way to better deal with these moments, you'll get there.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

kiki-
thanks for the post on Euphoric recall...its going in the tool box.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
@Canguy-you can have peace & happiness beyond your wildest dreams if you want it. It's yours...all you have to do is take it. Praying for you!

@SnowVelvet-I'm ready for my regular routine again too & that's awesome that your depression and anxiety are gone! Mine are gone too. Yes I agree that alcohol was the cause of those things and I'm so happy to be out of its grips!

@RedAndy-you are doing so great! Maybe it's good that the party was canceled. Maybe it's a safer alternative? I hope you have a great night playing games with your kids. Happy new year!

@blackbird-I think it's great that you were able to pinpoint exactly what your trigger was. I'm glad you got right back on the sober train. I have a feeling you're not gonna let that happen again! I really believe in you and I can see how badly you really want sobriety. You're doing great!

@sobermarathon-39 days is great!!! You really sound determined to make it this time & I feel confident that you will!!! I agree with you that drinking is usually a way to numb ourselves and hide from much deeper issues. That's the way it was for me at least. Counseling, SR and the 12 steps of AA are helping me work through all that crap, get underneath it and get rid of it so I never have to drink over it again and I can truly be happy, joyous and free. Happy New Year!

@SwimKim- Hi!!! :-)

***My prayer for all of us this New Year's eve is that we have an amazing 2016!

I pray that we all find the strength to get through whatever challenge we may face without drinking alcohol (a.k.a. poison).

I pray that our bodies, minds and spirits will be healed so that we can live wonderful lives.

I pray that any pain, depression, anxiety, shame, hopelessness, fear, anger & resentment will all be taken away for this year and for all the years to come.

Lastly, I pray for those who may be still be struggling. I pray that their cravings, shame, sorrow, hopelessness, depression & anxiety will be taken away and that they will realize how amazing they really are. I pray that they will know how special and unique their lives are. I pray that they know that they are worth getting sober and they deserve happy lives.

There is a sweet man in AA that always says "Kiki, don't quit before the miracle happens!"

Class of November 2015, don't quit before the miracle happens!!! Happy New Year everyone!

PS- I could've never gotten this far without all of your support and for that I am extremely grateful. Thank you so much everyone. I'll check back in later.
KiKi,

I think at this point you have probably saved at least a few people's
lives. At a minimum I can say that you have been a wonderful
inspiration for me. Dee, of course, is God-like, but there is only
one of him, and there is only one KiKi! : )

A few posts back there were some questions about people's real
intentions, and their honesty. I read those yesterday when I was
1/2 way through bottle of Gran Marnier (the big bottle) AND a bottle
of expensive red wine.

I have been a superstar for the most part since mid-November, but
I have had a few slips, almost intentional slips, with no really bad
things happening, and many people, even my very sensitive kids,
couldn't even tell.

Well, as often happens going down this road, a dark hole appears
somewhere, and that is what happened yesterday, Jan 1. At 8 PM
I woke up and wandered around the house. The dogs and non-alch
GF were in the living room. I couldn't tell if it was morning or night.
12 hours later I am still super dehydrated and feel sick, and I have
again disappointed everyone - I was supposed to be on the road
this morning for some skiing with my daughter, I'll need to re-
assess that now.

So here the cycle goes, down further each time after trying so hard
now for almost 3 years. 2014 I drank only 60% of the days in the year,
and 2015 I drank less than 50% of the days. The long stretches where
I drank nothing for 1-2 weeks + showed me a life that is simply far
better than I could believe - but the temptation was always there, and
always won.

I need that plan that Dee keeps talking about.

I will not drink today, but other than that I'm not sure where to go.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
There's some really good reading and advice at the top of the FFA forum about abuse Patricia - what it is and what you might do about it.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Thank you for the link Dee. What an eye opener. So many of these posts describe exactly how my husband behaves!

I am shocked, and scared, and sad...trying not to listen to my AV right now. I'm not feeling really strong today but I have to find some strength somewhere for my little boy.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blondsober View Post

KiKi,

I think at this point you have probably saved at least a few people's
lives. At a minimum I can say that you have been a wonderful
inspiration for me. Dee, of course, is God-like, but there is only
one of him, and there is only one KiKi! : )

A few posts back there were some questions about people's real
intentions, and their honesty. I read those yesterday when I was
1/2 way through bottle of Gran Marnier (the big bottle) AND a bottle
of expensive red wine.

I have been a superstar for the most part since mid-November, but
I have had a few slips, almost intentional slips, with no really bad
things happening, and many people, even my very sensitive kids,
couldn't even tell.

Well, as often happens going down this road, a dark hole appears
somewhere, and that is what happened yesterday, Jan 1. At 8 PM
I woke up and wandered around the house. The dogs and non-alch
GF were in the living room. I couldn't tell if it was morning or night.
12 hours later I am still super dehydrated and feel sick, and I have
again disappointed everyone - I was supposed to be on the road
this morning for some skiing with my daughter, I'll need to re-
assess that now.

So here the cycle goes, down further each time after trying so hard
now for almost 3 years. 2014 I drank only 60% of the days in the year,
and 2015 I drank less than 50% of the days. The long stretches where
I drank nothing for 1-2 weeks + showed me a life that is simply far
better than I could believe - but the temptation was always there, and
always won.

I need that plan that Dee keeps talking about.

I will not drink today, but other than that I'm not sure where to go.
Hang on Blond Sober, I'm going/finding my way through that fog myself right now! We can do this! I started back to AA and I can tell you its probably the smartest thing I've done in the last 5 months!

Make that plan and know we're here for you!
Old 01-02-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
UD - have you ever truly been able to figure out what goes on in your head from the moment you go from being on SR, feeling happy as a sober man, to picking up a beer, that later turns into a dozen and a complete mess? Are you on autopilot when you decide in your head 'screw it, I'm drinking'? I think if you can figure out a way to better deal with these moments, you'll get there.

Never heard it put that way, but that's exactly what it's like; auto pilot! I know when I was sober for 14 months I had peace and alcohol was never a thought I considered, somehow I let it slip away and those thoughts came back and yes, after I picked up that first drink its like the old drunk just went on auto pilot!

I think humbling myself, allowing God to change me and starting back to AA, the one thing I've fought doing is the first step.

Thanks, SM for keeping me thinking : )
Old 01-02-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Blond-
It sounds like moderation does not really work for you, as it just doesn't for alcoholics. As Ultra dad said...he was trying to keep a foot in both worlds, and that sounds like what you are trying to do. So I guess maybe you need to dig down deep and decide if being sober 50% or 60% of the time is what your looking for in your life. If you decide that that works for you and your family then today is your reality. That being said, do you really want to do this over and over?
I want to drink too, every day, but I'm really starting to dig this sobriety thing. It's so nice to wake up every morning without the regret and to have my family be proud of me and trust me.

Ultra and Enfin- before my youngest was born I was a slu*** little thing. In my 20's and 30's I cheated on everybody. My mom did it and I followed in her footsteps (despite hating the things she did). i didn't mean to, but I needed that validation that I was beautiful. I never felt that being smart was enough...I needed that power over men. I stopped cheating around 10-15 years ago. I started drinking more, but somehow realized I didn't need that validation. That being said, sometimes when I get really angry at hubby I think (wow, my needs aren't being met, I'm lonely....) and it crosses my mind. If I was a "pub/bar" drinker I think I probably would have slipped back over that line because when I get drunk I get flirtatious and stupid. In fact, when my hubby was out of town and I was drinking I had texting conversations with a guy I had a fling with before we got married. Wow, that would hurt him so bad so I understand what you are going through there Ultra. Thankfully I was a home drinker and that I was too lazy to get dressed up to go out.
Today I'm taking a low level of antidepressant so that solves all of my issues with fidelity! (Haha)
Old 01-02-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

I feel hopeless, sad, confused. My head's still spinning from last night's conversation with my husband. I put some Baileys in my coffee. Then the dog wanted out. I came back inside and drank the coffee. I don't feel anything different. I think the alcohol evaporated while I was outside, But I crossed the line. If it wasn't for the dog...this is getting bad. I need to be strong and calm down without "help"...
Old 01-02-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
I feel hopeless, sad, confused. My head's still spinning from last night's conversation with my husband. I put some Baileys in my coffee. Then the dog wanted out. I came back inside and drank the coffee. I don't feel anything different. I think the alcohol evaporated while I was outside, But I crossed the line. If it wasn't for the dog...this is getting bad. I need to be strong and calm down without "help"...
I just keep saying: a drink is not going to help.
My GF just laid down what *must* be her last
ultimatum, and she is more important than all
of the drinks in the world. I don't have a choice.

Watching some AA meetings on Youtube . . .
it's helping some, but the anxiety is still there.