Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 8

Old 01-10-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  
Administrator

when are you too scared to ask for help from Patricia?

D
Old 01-10-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Actually, today I've been climing the walls off and on...I am handling my cravings by consuming morbid amounts of popcorn...so much for getting back in shape in sobriety lol. Well, I don't care right now. Step by step, as long as the devil is kept at arm's lenght
Old 01-10-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
when are you too scared to ask for help from Patricia?

D
My dad is in his 80s. My husband wants a divorce. My son is 8 years old. Who is going to take care of me? I haven't had a job since 1999. I suffer from depression and anxiety. Medication doesn't work for me, it makes me even more ill. I am scared of losing my child due to mental illness. I have waves of panic all day long. I can't stay sober for more than 6 weeks. I am scared Dee....I am overwhelmed....
Old 01-10-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to have those fears too - years of drinking sapped my self esteem. made me scared & left me feeling I couldn't do anything on my own.

You absolutely can take care of yourself Patricia - honestly. It may not seem like it now but you can.

I'm not saying do it alone - I am saying reach out for help...and accept that you are a good decent and capable person who can look after herself

Have you got an appointment booked with a Dr or psych?

I'd start there because this round of anxiety seems particularly debilitating for you?
Old 01-10-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

I'll phone my Dr tomorrow. I checked on Facebook and she is back from holidays. Is there light at the end of the tunnel Dee? Is there a better life after panic/anxiety? i am losing hope...
Old 01-10-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is absolutely light at the end of the tunnel Patricia

I think you need to accept tho that drinking again is always going to set you back a little when it comes to trying to manage anxiety - drinking just gives us more things to be anxious about...

D
Old 01-10-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Patricia, Alcohol takes every ounce of our self-esteem and self-confidence. Dee is right, it takes time to build those things back up, but you are well able, believe in yourself, we all believe in you! Praying for you and will continue!

Just a quick check in for myself, had a wonderful, sober weekend. First time in a long time that I haven't had to battle my every thought to drink. One of our neighbors is moving out and gave us a bottle of tequila and my wife turned them down as did I, but they kept insisting. We just looked at each other and finally, graciously accepted. We promptly threw it in the trash outside as soon as they were gone. Honestly didn't even have a desire to drink this weekend and thank God for that!

Hate to hear so many are struggling, I truly feel for you...we all do, because we've all been there.

All the best!
Old 01-10-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
There is absolutely light at the end of the tunnel Patricia

I think you need to accept tho that drinking again is always going to set you back a little when it comes to trying to manage anxiety - drinking just gives us more things to be anxious about...

D
You are so right Dee. I am panicking about things that didn't use to bother me a few weeks ago...alcohol made me lose my hope and faith...
Old 01-10-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post

Yorkshires are the greatest! !!
Yorkshire puds?
I'd guess potatoes without googling. :-)
Old 01-10-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post

Yorkshire puds?
I'd guess potatoes without googling. :-)
Oh like dumplings ish things lol
Old 01-10-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Patricia,

Dee and ultradad had some really good advice! I can't add much more except that I have a severe panic & anxiety disorder too and since I stopped drinking almost 2 months ago my anxiety is 95% better & the panic is gone! Alcohol makes it soooo much worse & the anxiety medication doesn't work while drinking so it's a double whammy!!!

Anyway...just in case your AV tries to convince you that alcohol would help you feel better....it's a huge LIE!

The first few weeks of sobriety were really hard....I'm not gonna lie.....but it's so worth it once you get through those first few weeks!

Prayers as always!!! <3
Old 01-10-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  
Administrator

you'll get hope and faith back again Patricia

D
Old 01-10-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Patricia, Dee and ultradad had some really good advice! I can't add much more except that I have a severe panic & anxiety disorder too and since I stopped drinking almost 2 months ago my anxiety is 95% better & the panic is gone! Alcohol makes it soooo much worse & the anxiety medication doesn't work while drinking so it's a double whammy!!! Anyway...just in case your AV tries to convince you that alcohol would help you feel better....it's a huge LIE! The first few weeks of sobriety were really hard....I'm not gonna lie.....but it's so worth it once you get through those first few weeks! Prayers as always!!! <3
100% agree. Those feelings aren't natural, they are a side effect. Even after 2 days sober for me, they almost disappear completely. It's getting through those days without drinking is the hardest. My cycle would continue as I drank to stop the thoughts while the drink caused the thoughts. Endless cycle.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:50 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

I second kiki, patricia. My anxiety and depression is all but gone. I do realize that you have major life changes on your plate and that can be hard, but you may just find that your life has improved once a little time has passed. Sober time at that.

I read a qoute on facebook from Joel Osteen on a friend's timeline who is going through an especially hard time with her husband's health. I am not very religious but this man is exceedingly wise and I appreciate all of the good he contributes with his words. I'd recommend buying some of his books or catching his sermons on TV if you need to be uplifted. Anyway, I read this and thought you might find it helpful. I know I did...

"you cannot talk defeat and expect victory. You can't talk sickness and expect health. You can't talk lack and struggle and expect abundance. You've got to send your words out in the direction you want your life to go."

((Hugs))
Old 01-10-2016, 11:58 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Oh like dumplings ish things lol
Nah, better than that. ..crispy savoury bakes battery. .. mmmmmmm
Old 01-11-2016, 12:31 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Hi Patricia,

Sorry you're having a hard time. As others have said, if you can stay focused on staying sober then you'll be amazed how much else will fall in place for you.

My self esteem has improved, I'm more confident and far less anxious. I still get depressed but I'm working on that.

The bottom line is (for me anyway), I'm more hopeful than I've been for years. Drinking is a killer of hope whereas sobriety gently nurtures and cares for it.

Sobriety is a gift you can give yourself again and again and again. You have absolute control on how many days you choose to receive it.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:35 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

"you cannot talk defeat and expect victory. You can't talk sickness and expect health. You can't talk lack and struggle and expect abundance. You've got to send your words out in the direction you want your life to go."
Thanks for that BB, I really like it.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:58 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lastchance77 View Post
100% agree. Those feelings aren't natural, they are a side effect. Even after 2 days sober for me, they almost disappear completely. It's getting through those days without drinking is the hardest. My cycle would continue as I drank to stop the thoughts while the drink caused the thoughts. Endless cycle.
I'll third that... I spent most nights awake for hours panicking, days with a haze of fear and worry let else trough the roof... and now it's so much better. The good news is even though I had a few drinks a Xmas. .. the calm came back quicker than the first stop time! I wish I hadn't had a drink, but I can't change it.... so just look forward... onwards and upwards!
I really feel for you, I hope u can keep of the drinks... and I really hope u start to see little benefits soon... I wish I could do more for you x
Old 01-11-2016, 01:02 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dallow View Post
Actually, today I've been climing the walls off and on...I am handling my cravings by consuming morbid amounts of popcorn...so much for getting back in shape in sobriety lol. Well, I don't care right now. Step by step, as long as the devil is kept at arm's lenght
I ate literally my daughters body weight in popcorn at the cinema yesterday. .. wow....
Old 01-11-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Morning all, just checking in, pretty quiet weekend by all accounts but enjoyable none the less - watched a few good films and just started watching Homeland which I've heard so much about - it does look very good.

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time Patricia, hope you can get an appointment to discuss this further with your GP and yes there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck with it.