Notices

Class of December 2015 Pt 3

Old 01-04-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jenses View Post
This is so me. I have actually noticed on the days I haven't journaled, I am much more apt to crave a glass of wine - which made it even easier to forget myself. Glad you posted this.
Finishing day 28. Four weeks under belt.
well done on four weeks Jenses and especially on doing it through the holiday period.....
Old 01-04-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

5 days, 5 nights

Good morning class of December 15! Today I am starting on my 6th day of sobriety. Last night was one of the most difficult - I seem to still be in the pattern of waking up every couple hours like when I was drinking myself through the night...I haven't done it, and I am hoping each night that I don't it will reinforce that I CAN...but has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions for getting back to sleep quickly?
Old 01-04-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

hi V, it took me two weeks for my sleep to get anything to the point of normal. I guess we are just not accustomed to the habit of getting a full peaceful nights sleep with or without alcohol. Once it does normalise its soo good so bear with it. Maybe try the obvious things like no coffee in the evenings, a shower before bed, turn off the tv a little early etcAlso try treat healthy without too much sugar or junk food so your body has not much to disagree with during the night. It will be fine, just needs a little time.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Yesterday was straight forward enough and today so far also. Its like my AV is saying: "you just go right ahead and jump into all this fitness stuff, I'll go watch a DVD, tell me when you get bored and we can have a chat".
Yup...I think mine is doing the same right about now. I'm way too committed right now to even listen to his nonsense, he's just hanging out, waiting for a weak moment so he can pounce. I've got some ammunition ready though.

I'm the opposite on sleep...I sleep awful when I drink, and like a baby once I take the alcohol away. Even smaller amount of alcohol (a few glasses, which, of course, is rare) majorly disrupts my sleep.

Back to work today. Normally I'd be pretty miserable about it, but I think it's coming at a good time. I'll be complaining about being busy and stressed before you know it, but for now, it will be less time to ruminate about drinking. And I am soooooooo very glad to be sober and well rested heading back to work. I think back to those years where I would be so bleary eyed and exhausted after a vacation, when everyone else seemed so rested and ready. Ugh. Never again.

Nice cool day here so my plan is to come home after work and for for a walk with my dog and then a jog.

Have a nice Sober Monday all....
Old 01-04-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

2 weeks sober for me today and if my past year year has taught me anything it is that I need to be extra vigilant now and always be working on my recovery so that I don't lose it again. My last few attempts to remain sober only lasted 3 weeks max and usually much shorter. I feel a much stronger desire/need to remain sober this time around so I'm hopeful that coupled with my plan of recovery will help me to stay sober. I cannot drink no matter what, each time I do there are awful consequences.

MissP, I definitely recommend reading your book by Thich Nhat Hanh. I've been getting steadily more into meditation and Buddhism this past year and he is definitely one of the most profound and easily accessible teachers I've come across. I hope you enjoy it.

Well done to all of you sticking with your recovery no matter what happens.

Vini - My sleep was definitely unsettled for a while whenever I sobered up. When I was drinking I didn't wake through the night top up drinking often, I usually drank a huge amount until I passed out and would usually wake early hours full of shakes, anxiety and feelings of dread. That is when I would either hold on and try sober up again or reach back for the bottle. That said I would often stay up without sleep drinking for days solid before I did pass out. Anyway for me I just had to hang on and as the days passed my sleep always improved. One thing that did help me was to always listen to something to keep my mind distracted otherwise I'd become so depressed/fearful/frustrated... During the night I listened to stuff like spiritual teachers, comedy podcasts/audio books etc and they just helped pass the time during the night and often help me drift off to sleep. I'm sure after a few weeks tops you will regain a good sleep pattern and if not perhaps then you could seek advice from you doctor? Wishing you the best anyway.

My plan for today is to start looking for a new job! I'm really nervous about that as my self worth is still pretty low and am worried about what to say about my former job. I had 20 days off in 9 months all due to my drinking, which is awful I know. I actually quit in the end because I knew I was about to be sacked and they were starting to realise the time I'd had off wasn't because of depression as I'd told them.

Gotta keep moving forward though, I'll face the questions when they come! I'm not going for anything to stressful or demanding for now anyway. I just want a quiet 9 - 5 to keep me busy and pay the bills.

Have a lovely Monday all of you!
Old 01-04-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brach123 View Post

My plan for today is to start looking for a new job! I'm really nervous about that as my self worth is still pretty low and am worried about what to say about my former job. I had 20 days off in 9 months all due to my drinking, which is awful I know. I actually quit in the end because I knew I was about to be sacked and they were starting to realise the time I'd had off wasn't because of depression as I'd told them.
I don't think they need to know any of the detail. I would just say that I realised pretty much immediately after I joined that I had make a mistake and that the job was not quite as I had expected and hoped it would be but that I hate to quit anything so I decided to give it 9 months to see if the situation could be remedied. Unfortunately after 9 months you decided that the best thing was to cut your losses and move on. Everyone makes mistakes and any employer would be ok with that. They will probably ask you what the disconnect was so have a couple of examples about the work not being suitable or what you were looking for.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:59 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone My AV sounds/looks a bit different - she is Audrey Hepburn in pin curls wearing a stylish, comfortable evening gown. She tries to lure me with a sophisticated yet care-free throw of the hair and says "dahhhling, everything is better with wine!"

As a side note, I may be a visual person lol
Old 01-04-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

I think of my AV looking like Darth Vader or the grim reaper.... something dark and sinister.

Brach good luck on the job hunt! I used to do the same listening to audiobooks in the middle of the night to keep my mind from focusing on the anxiety. I don't miss those nights!

Vini I hope you get some good sleep in soon.

I hope those of you going back to work today have a good day. My boys don't go back to school till tomorrow. I am really not looking forward to an empty house tomorrow. I'm already looking forward to summer vacation!
Old 01-04-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Day 10. Back to work. I realllly don't wanna get out of bed but I am so glad I'm sober and slept decent. I know a lot of people go back to work/school today and don't want to.. Somehow that comforts me lol. Have a great Monday!
Old 01-04-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Day 8 is here. I have a cold, and would rather be at home, but I'm at work.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Back to work for me tooo

And it's the first time since I started this journey just 6 days ago I am not here at work shaking and nauseous! Such an incredible feeling - I can't even be upset it's Monday!
Old 01-04-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

That's awesome Vin! I can definitely relate!
Old 01-04-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Lol, Cute today I laugh about being able to relate to others in the world getting ready for school/work. But after tomorrow morning I probably won't be laughing!
Old 01-04-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
I don't think they need to know any of the detail. I would just say that I realised pretty much immediately after I joined that I had make a mistake and that the job was not quite as I had expected and hoped it would be but that I hate to quit anything so I decided to give it 9 months to see if the situation could be remedied. Unfortunately after 9 months you decided that the best thing was to cut your losses and move on. Everyone makes mistakes and any employer would be ok with that. They will probably ask you what the disconnect was so have a couple of examples about the work not being suitable or what you were looking for.
Thanks UB, that's some sound advice and true to a certain extent in that I was looking to move on anyway as the job was not what I'd been led to believe initially. I hope I'll get something soonish as I had to move back to my folks, which isn't ideal at 35. I'm hopeful, I know I have good potential when sober!
Old 01-04-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChickChick View Post
Brach good luck on the job hunt! I used to do the same listening to audiobooks in the middle of the night to keep my mind from focusing on the anxiety. I don't miss those nights!
Thanks Chick! and yes as I was writing about those nights I could literally feel a shiver down my spine. I really think it's important that I never forget times like those in order to never have to go back to them and remain grateful for the peace of mind I have when sober.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

2 weeks sober for me today and if my past year year has taught me anything it is that I need to be extra vigilant now and always be working on my recovery so that I don't lose it again. My last few attempts to remain sober only lasted 3 weeks max and usually much shorter. I feel a much stronger desire/need to remain sober this time around so I'm hopeful that coupled with my plan of recovery will help me to stay sober. I cannot drink no matter what, each time I do there are awful consequences.

MissP, I definitely recommend reading your book by Thich Nhat Hanh. I've been getting steadily more into meditation and Buddhism this past year and he is definitely one of the most profound and easily accessible teachers I've come across. I hope you enjoy it.

Well done to all of you sticking with your recovery no matter what happens.

Vini - My sleep was definitely unsettled for a while whenever I sobered up. When I was drinking I didn't wake through the night top up drinking often, I usually drank a huge amount until I passed out and would usually wake early hours full of shakes, anxiety and feelings of dread. That is when I would either hold on and try sober up again or reach back for the bottle. That said I would often stay up without sleep drinking for days solid before I did pass out. Anyway for me I just had to hang on and as the days passed my sleep always improved. One thing that did help me was to always listen to something to keep my mind distracted otherwise I'd become so depressed/fearful/frustrated... During the night I listened to stuff like spiritual teachers, comedy podcasts/audio books etc and they just helped pass the time during the night and often help me drift off to sleep. I'm sure after a few weeks tops you will regain a good sleep pattern and if not perhaps then you could seek advice from you doctor? Wishing you the best anyway.

Gotta keep moving forward though, I'll face the questions when they come! I'm not going for anything to stressful or demanding for now anyway. I just want a quiet 9 - 5 to keep me busy and pay the bills.

Have a lovely Monday all of you!
Brach - I am currently looking for a new job too! To be more precise, a new career. I drank to survive the last three years of my old job - my work became my life and identity. Definitely not a healthy place to be. Now sober and more aware, making a jump into the unknown. Fingers crossed
Old 01-04-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Day 7! Back at work so I'll keep it short.

Had some dreams the other night where in the dream I had blacked out and was suffering the humiliation and self loathing the morning after. In the dream I was having to walk around, make apologies and amends, all feeling like a piece of crap. Woke up with lingering memories of what that's like! So today I am grateful that I will no longer have to suffer through that humiliation!
Old 01-04-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Sounds exciting Jenses! What type of work are you looking to get into?

I've worked in merchandising and buying since a pretty early age but it was something I kind of fell into and definitely not something I could say I'm passionate about. For this year I'm going to stick with some sort of basic office admin work until I get some sober time behind me. I'm 35 now so may still have an opportunity to change my career path yet. Good luck with your search!
Old 01-04-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Sounds exciting Jenses! What type of work are you looking to get into?

I've worked in merchandising and buying since a pretty early age but it was something I kind of fell into and definitely not something I could say I'm passionate about. For this year I'm going to stick with some sort of basic office admin work until I get some sober time behind me. I'm 35 now so may still have an opportunity to change my career path yet. Good luck with your search!
I'm 41 and would love to change my career path to something less mentally destructive and stressful! !! What though... I'm at a loss to think what!!! Hope you all find something!!!
Day 4 in this stretch.... 32/36 past days sober.... haha....
Old 01-04-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Morning everyone - just a quick hello today. Jensen, congratulations on the 28 days! To those looking for new jobs and changes to our careers, all the best - I know sobriety does not automatically create magical new lives, but it gives us the best shot we have at finding happiness.

Enfin, I hope you can find something that is less stressful or can at least create a better environment for yourself at work. I also used to have a job that was stressful, with insanely long hours etc., and it sure didn't help my drinking. I quit and took time out for a spell (a luxury, I know) and then came back into the same career but with a different insight and became a little firmer about drawing boundaries. I know it's not at all easy - there are so many factors at play - but I hope once you do have some sober time, there will be some answers. Congratulations on the last 36 days too by the way!