Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 7

Old 12-26-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back enfin

Think about what changes you can make this time - more support maybe so that when one support is not available others will be?

Maybe think som,e ,ore on lifestyle chances you can ,make to reflect your desire to be sober?

You can do this

D
Old 12-26-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to see some Novemberers struggling.

Stay with us

D
Old 12-26-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Where is everyone? Is everybody ok tonight? :-)
Old 12-26-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  
Administrator

yo!
Old 12-26-2015, 09:24 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

I'm here!

Old 12-26-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Well hey there Dee & Patricia!!!
Old 12-26-2015, 11:13 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

I'm here! Doing well. Was out at dinner with friends and reminiscing about sushi and drinking beer in college. Got a small craving for that but wasn't much to act on bc I knew it was just the memory of drinking the way I used to ten years ago. Those days are long gone! A beer with dinner would have only made me feel guilt and remorse so it was not worth it.

I hope everyone is well!
Old 12-26-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Hey everyone.

November 11th here !
Old 12-26-2015, 11:27 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Good morning!!!

So I just need to tell you all what my AV just whispered in my ear! It said:

"Kiki! You made it through Christmas & all the stress without drinking! You are gonna drive home today & your husband & kids are staying here at your in-laws! You could buy alcohol & cigarettes & drink & smoke a little while your driving home & then go to a pub & get DRUNK & no one would know!!!"

Yep! After 42 days without a drop of alcohol or a cigarette that's what my AV just said to me the day after Christmas! Ugh!

Feel free to scream at my AV for me!!!

My AV told me on Christmas Eve

"Go ahead and drink. You're gonna have so much fun. Maybe you don't have a problem, you're young and maybe just drink the next couple days and then quit again, you've gone so long without drinking you're no longer an alcoholic. Live a little, be a man, not drinking is lame."

Thankfully, I smartened up and didn't let my AV **** up all my work.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:44 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Morning class,

Sorry to see that some people are struggling. Enfin, it happens. I honestly think that we get a few weeks and we feel so good that we forget just how bloody awful we felt. It's one of the reasons I go to AA. I need to remind myself just how bad it was, as my head wants to forget. It's human nature to forget the bad things, almost like self preservation.

I was super stroppy yesterday. Not because I wanted to drink, but because Christmas has upset the routine I was in. I took myself off swimming, as I really find the exercise and stretching clears my head. There's something about being immersed in water that makes me feel free, weightless and able to twist and turn in any direction.

Day 53. Just for today I am free.

Much love to all.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:58 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome JQuick

D
Old 12-27-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for caring... I think it was a combination of, yeah I can do this. .. and woa, my friend is going to die, and everyone else is doing it so screw it! Just ran out of effort. ..I couldn't access SR either so prepped the perfect excuse. ..

I have my next counselling app on the 6th Jan, maybe a month appart is too infrequent. Maybe I need to find some actual people to face to face talk it through with... my husband is going to do the dryathlon for January, so we can do a month together... then maybe we will carry on!

Plenty of maybes! Maybe if it had been a disasterous bender I would have been remotivated! Who knows...

Trying to stick at it anyway, peace and love to all xxxx
Old 12-27-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Hi all. Just feeling a little bummed out. I had to work on Christmas for a few hours and again yesterday for a few and possibly today. So I haven't really had a nice Christmas off of work. I feel sad because of course my OH and I weren't really getting along on Christmas Eve and we had a half-a$$ed Christmas for the kids. Partly due to lack of time getting stuff ready with OH being out of town the previous weekend for his father's funeral. And partly due to my work schedule.

It's our baby's first Christmas and was hoping for a special time for us all but never really felt the magic. Anyway, still here and sober. Just having a small pity party. And torn by telling myself I should be thankful for all we have, which I am, and being disappointed in myself for being a baby. Thanks for listening.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Hi Enfin and Jemma,

It's difficult when nothing much seems to change. Then you start thinking that you're missing out.

Enfin, I don't know if AA or the steps are for you? I've barely started on them if I'm honest. However, being in a room of people who totally get this helps. I could see my thoughts reflected in everything anyone said. It took me a long while to understand the programme as it were, but the companionship is instant. Currently, the meetings I go to are super busy.

Each session is like individual therapy. I've shared things and seen people nodding back. Things I didn't think anyone else would understand, let alone feel.

I've had counselling before, and I think a month is too long. Each session raises new questions and you need to think and process then, then discuss them next week.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snowvelvet View Post
Hi Enfin and Jemma, It's difficult when nothing much seems to change. Then you start thinking that you're missing out. Enfin, I don't know if AA or the steps are for you? I've barely started on them if I'm honest. However, being in a room of people who totally get this helps. I could see my thoughts reflected in everything anyone said. It took me a long while to understand the programme as it were, but the companionship is instant. Currently, the meetings I go to are super busy. Each session is like individual therapy. I've shared things and seen people nodding back. Things I didn't think anyone else would understand, let alone feel. I've had counselling before, and I think a month is too long. Each session raises new questions and you need to think and process then, then discuss them next week.
I second the weekly counseling. Even 1hr per week is barely enough for me...but it has really helped me out this time around.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

35th day sober for me. Company arrived last night, including a BIL I'm known to get totally blasted with. I'm thinking of registering for a race next weekend so I have a tangible excuse for not drinking the next few days. Let's see!
Old 12-27-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snowvelvet View Post
Hi Enfin and Jemma,

It's difficult when nothing much seems to change. Then you start thinking that you're missing out.

Enfin, I don't know if AA or the steps are for you? I've barely started on them if I'm honest. However, being in a room of people who totally get this helps. I could see my thoughts reflected in everything anyone said. It took me a long while to understand the programme as it were, but the companionship is instant. Currently, the meetings I go to are super busy.

Each session is like individual therapy. I've shared things and seen people nodding back. Things I didn't think anyone else would understand, let alone feel.

I've had counselling before, and I think a month is too long. Each session raises new questions and you need to think and process then, then discuss them next week.
Hi, I think I need something a bit more if it is to work, I feel well hacked off today and am doing down on everything. .. not sure specifically why, maybe it's staying at the inlaws, no space to think...

Don't think I can do aa in my town as I am so well known as a teacher...over such a big area.... I just couldn't face it. My parents are well known too. Hell, when I went to counselling I taught her daughter, which put me off... maybe private help till I get sorted more. Then again some actual people to help might be good. I dunno... it all feels like cr@p anyway now. I dunno what I feel now. How can I have been so pleased with myself, just to let myself down. I should be the one supporting me, not hindering me. It just feels like an endless, pointless struggle.....
Gah... thanks for talking and sorry for just moaning back!
Old 12-27-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
I second the weekly counseling. Even 1hr per week is barely enough for me...but it has really helped me out this time around.
Who do u go with? The doctors one.. or did u find another??? Just curious... x
Old 12-27-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post
Who do u go with? The doctors one.. or did u find another??? Just curious... x
When I decided I was determined to get sober and stay sober last month, I spent a morning online looking for therapists with addiction specialization in my area. There were several and I just picked one that looked 'nice' and sent her an email. Now I've been 4 consecutive weeks and it's definitely helping me deal with challenges in the present of maintaining sobriety, the past in terms of recovering from the traumas of my drinking, and preparing for future difficulties. I'm a firm believer that this extra initiative is an essential part of my recovery and plan to continue going weekly or at least biweekly for the foreseeable future.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Registered for a half marathon race next Sunday. There's my excuse for not drinking through the holidays and New Years. Take that AV and social anxieties!!