Old 12-22-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Administrator

All you guys are really inspiring

D
Old 12-22-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
My father in law shows up, he brings home a bunch of booze...and hands me a bottle of Baileys "Merry Christmas!" So I asked him politely to put the cans and bottles in the mini fridge downstairs because there's not much room in the kitchen, and I give him the Baileys back "Thanks but I'm not drinking this Christmas. Doctor's orders"...and he says "Oh, but this is for the coffee!" Seriously Universe...you're killing me....Baileys almost got me in a coma two years ago...gah! So here I am, working my tush off so everybody can have a great Christmas, pretending to be happy in my broken marriage...and gallons of booze all over the house....Merry flippin Christmas to me Ok, rant/pity party over...I'll go make some chamomile tea
Ok so here is another story that happened to me recently. There was a big family party with ALOT of drinking. My husband's father knew that I was trying to stay sober so he decided to take me out to dinner instead of the party so I could avoid all the alcohol at the party. The first thing he did when we got to the restaurant was order a beer right in front of me!!! He proceeded to have several more. Seriously??? Haha. He went out of his way to protect me from being around alcohol, took me to dinner & ordered alcohol! Lol

I really just think it is just as hard for nonalcoholics to understand alcoholics as it is for us to understand normal drinkers. Non alcoholics seriously just don't get it!!! At ALL! And the sad thing is...my husbands family had lost several people to alcoholism at a young age! Liver failure!
Old 12-22-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ultradad View Post
Busy day and I'm off to bed to enjoy a good book! Small craving today, but nothing that lasted more than a thought or two. If...no WHEN I make it past this weekend that'll be a major milestone for me.

Have a great night or morning...wherever you are and be blessed!

Goodnight
Your I've got this weekend Ultra. I have total faith in your u and we are all here to support you.
I tried to meditate again this morning. Up to 7 minutes. Today I had a off the wall craving and I just did a coupke of breaths and then thought about my fear of "what could have happened" if I continued to drink. Poof...craving gone. Has anybody else tried meditating? Any pointers??
Old 12-22-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Ok so here is another story that happened to me recently. There was a big family party with ALOT of drinking. My husband's father knew that I was trying to stay sober so he decided to take me out to dinner instead of the party so I could avoid all the alcohol at the party. The first thing he did when we got to the restaurant was order a beer right in front of me!!! He proceeded to have several more. Seriously??? Haha. He went out of his way to protect me from being around alcohol, took me to dinner & ordered alcohol! Lol

I really just think it is just as hard for nonalcoholics to understand alcoholics as it is for us to understand normal drinkers. Non alcoholics seriously just don't get it!!! At ALL! And the sad thing is...my husbands family had lost several people to alcoholism at a young age! Liver failure!

That's pretty comical in a sad twisted way. At least he cared enough to protect you, right?!!! Haha
Old 12-22-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Boy do I relate to much of this story!

http://youtu.be/SpWObPOux-M
Old 12-22-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Max74 View Post
My family goes every year to visit her folks the next town over for a couple of days.
Boredom sunk in!

The plan ... a case of beer and no one would be the wiser!

Well i got into that case and was about 3 deep in 20 min.That case would of been enough to send me into a drunken slumber.

Except.....my mother popped by and i shared some(3-4) I think?!?

I never drink with my mom(she dont do booze so well).So I ran out early.I then decided to go out (walked)to the beer store and get some more,i proceeded to have a few in the park before going home.

Until.....I decided going to the pub would be alot more fun.I walked in with a beer in my hand plastered!!!

Police took me away for public intoxication...I woke in the city cells where i had the beer squirts ,so i got to use the toilet in front of 4 other gentlemen.

My wifey called and my mom answered...she would not tell her I was in the drunk tank because she was upset and yelling at my mother.So wifey called my sister and my sister head to get out of bed to go look for me...this included the hospital and police station.When the wifey found out I was in the drunk tank she was relieved.My 12 yr old daughter stopped crying too.

I got let out a 4am and it was like 10 below zero and walked home about 45 min.

I just cried and cried....my family thought i was cheating or maybe dead from exposure somewhere.I just wanted to escape for awhile!

That was last years xmas holiday experience and Im using it as motivation this year as my family is again out of town again.I am stronger this year!!!!

Happy holidays and cheers!
Phew. Max, I thought it had all just happened until I got to the last paragraph. So glad that is a bit farther in the past.

I got some sparkling grape juice and nonalcoholic beer for myself this year. I really do enjoy the taste of beer. I know some view this as a slippery slope but I see it as a tool to keep me from drinking alcohol this Christmas season....My heavy drinking family will be coming to my house. It will be at my fingertips. My plan is to eat eat eat, hang with the kids and if I crave too hard, grab an odoul's. I wont make it a habit. Special tempting occasions only.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Omg! Why does wrapping Christmas gifts make me want to drink??? Ugh.
Because it's terrible and tedious. I just got done too. :-)
Old 12-22-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Aww Kiki that sucks! What was he thinking!

My father in law is an alcoholic...I guess he can't understand why in the world did I stop drinking. Ugh sometimes I think my cats understand better...
Old 12-22-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post

Me too, I literally panicked!!!!

Thanks for your praise Kiki. .. I tmeans a lot... I know what happened mean about pubs... I will not be going again for a couple of months at least... didn't go often really anyway!!!

Other news... I got my new tattoo!!! Am wild child again at 41?de00
Ohhh a new tattoo! Jealous! That's my 6 month or 1 year sober birthday present to myself. Either a raven or tootless. fun stuff enfin, what is the tattoo? Sorry if you've already mentioned and I missed it.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
My father in law shows up, he brings home a bunch of booze...and hands me a bottle of Baileys "Merry Christmas!"

So I asked him politely to put the cans and bottles in the mini fridge downstairs because there's not much room in the kitchen, and I give him the Baileys back "Thanks but I'm not drinking this Christmas. Doctor's orders"...and he says "Oh, but this is for the coffee!"

Seriously Universe...you're killing me....Baileys almost got me in a coma two years ago...gah!

So here I am, working my tush off so everybody can have a great Christmas, pretending to be happy in my broken marriage...and gallons of booze all over the house....Merry flippin Christmas to me

Ok, rant/pity party over...I'll go make some chamomile tea
Sorry patricia, you'll get through it! I will be in your shoes o Saturday.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ultradad View Post
Busy day and I'm off to bed to enjoy a good book! Small craving today, but nothing that lasted more than a thought or two. If...no WHEN I make it past this weekend that'll be a major milestone for me.

Have a great night or morning...wherever you are and be blessed!

Goodnight
When we all make it through the season... we will be so blessed. It's just another day really. Celebration does not have to include alcohol. Why spoil all of the fun with booze and an awful remorseful hangover?
Old 12-22-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

I'm 23 months today
Old 12-22-2015, 11:16 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations again Chardis

D
Old 12-23-2015, 12:45 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fruitymarzipan View Post
Hey there everyone, thought id say hello. I gave up the dreaded drink on 1st November. Iv posted in many of these "class of" threads - iv joined and always end up relapsing and joining another one! Getting more and more embarrassed & feeling a failure each time. This has been whilst I have been detoxing from painkillers. Its never worked and I have never stuck at it but never been sure why. I now know why and its because I have always continued to drink as I have seen the painkiller addiction as the primary problem. But of course the alcohol lowers my resolve and sends me right back to my drug of choice. Funny I have had no problem admitting I am a painkiller addict but always struggled to admit im an alcoholic. Well finally I have given up everything and its definately wierd especially at this time of year. Im a registered nurse and am working long hours this week which is good as it means I cant drink! Im off Christmas Day so need to just get through that! But looking forward to seeing my kids open their prezzys Xmas morning without a hangover!! Nice to meet everyone, hope your all having a good Xmas week x
Belated welcome to the class Fruity, I hope you hand around.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
30 days ago I woke up totally dazed after a terror-filled night of rocking, sweating, and my mind going virtually crazy. This was preceded by yet another 3-day binge of total abuse on my aging body and mind. Somehow as the alcohol dissipated from my system, talking intimately with my closest friend, I begged the friend to make me stop this madness, to demand it. Through some long and emotional discussion, I conceded that I could no longer manage this addiction and that I had to dig deep and find the courage to walk away from it, I just couldn't take the physical pain and emotional trauma anymore.

And that was 30 days ago. Looking back only to assist with the healing process but otherwise forward-thinking, I'm a million times happier and this is only the beginning.

Thank you everyone for your continued support and sharing your experiences without reservation or judgement. We are stronger together.
Thanks for posting that SM. Very, very inspiring.

Congratulations on your sober days and for your positivity.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:51 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chardis View Post
I'm 23 months today
Wow and congratulations
Old 12-23-2015, 01:21 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Hey guys, hope you are all well.

Long post alert.

I almost drank last night. I went to the supermarket and was very close to buying a bottle of wine, my knees went to jelly and my stomach was churning. I was very buzzy.

It wasn't that I fancied a glass of wine, it wasn't even a craving. It was simply a case of thinking "f*ck it, I'm going to get wasted".

I'm also planning to drink in the future. I'm not saying that I will drink, I'm saying that 'I caught my thoughts which were of the nature of planning'. They were very deep, far away thoughts. Far, far into my subconscious that they were almost subliminal but they were definitely there.

I'm utterly shocked that a couple days ago I was surrounded by free booze and people that were wasted yet I wasn't inclined to take a drink but here I am on the cusp of returning to my old ways. I find that pretty scary.

What helped was that yesterday (thank god) I'd posted here "I will not drink".

I thought of that promise to myself and to my class mates and that gave me some strength.

So thank you to SR and thank you to my class mates and to Dee for his continued words of encouragement.

I will not drink today. I promise.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Tufty13. Keep going.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:29 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm utterly shocked that a couple days ago I was surrounded by free booze and people that were wasted yet I wasn't inclined to take a drink but here I am on the cusp of returning to my old ways. I find that pretty scary.
I'm not shocked. The AV isn't very smart but it's incredibly cunning.
It's visceral not intelligent.

The time after I'd had any kind of sober success was the time my inner addict tried to catch me off guard.

I can;t tell you the number of times I went to the pub, or a party and stayed sober only to drink the next day or a few days later.

the thing is Tufty - you didn't do that - you stood your ground....and that, and your self awareness, bodes pretty well for you in my estimation

D
Old 12-23-2015, 02:15 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post

Ohhh a new tattoo! Jealous! That's my 6 month or 1 year sober birthday present to myself. Either a raven or tootless. fun stuff enfin, what is the tattoo? Sorry if you've already mentioned and I missed it.
Cool! I got a mandala round a tiny flower I had before. ... it is quite lovely! ! Will post a pic if I can work it out!!! Keep sober for the ink!!! Xx