Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 45

Old 01-21-2016, 04:10 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Thx for all of your words of wisdom on the volunteer front. I made a big deal of cutting back on volunteer obligations a year or two back and then was asked to be Pres. of our school's foundation. This is a start-up so lots of work to do to get it off the ground. I'm great with that part of it. But the personalities of the other Board members! As President, I really am ok with finishing out the year until May, but on m y terms. I have a personal goal and vision for the coming months and I'm sticking to that. It's a highly dysfunctional Board and I don't even know how to get it together other than firing everyone and starting over! I'm ok with it, none of it makes me want to drink over it. I believe in the school and want to be involved but I'll just have to find another way to accomplish that.

I have a meeting scheduled with the principal today so that should be interesting and I should have a clearer idea of how to proceed from here.

Great news about your blanket, Marcher! My son just asked me if I knew how to knit and I told him no but that I had a friend who does

When I lived in Cali I used to take my little Eclipse convertible up to the mountains all the time. The tires were too close to the rim so I couldn't use chains but I had snow tires. I used to cruise by huge SUVs with their chains on never once slipping in the snow or ice -- I miss that little car. Come to think of it I miss the Sierras but I get to visit in 2 months! We just booked our spring break to ski Tahoe for 10 days. I can 't wait - I believe there really are restorative powers in the Sierras.

Hope you got plowed out by now, Budd.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone !!! I was out shoveling snow yesterday---We do get a lot of snow and slippery roads--streets--it can be a challenge ---but, now that I'm retired I don't go out unless I want to.
Well, just a short note to say hi---gosh you guys I had a problem yesterday of not being able to post and what a terrible feeling---good lord--I almost had a panic attack. Not really --but, I hate that when it happens.
hugs
Babs
Old 01-21-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Yeah, Babs - that's one of the reasons I like to have multiple resources queued up!
Old 01-21-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers from a humid soon-to-be stormy Paradise. We had a whopper yesterday afternoon, the sky was at first murky white, then stormy grey, then BOOM! Mr Marcher was super happy to see his garden getting drenched.

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Marcher, do you Aussies get snow?
We do Sass, though not here on the coast. If you look at a map of NSW, find the border between NSW and Victoria and you will see the "Snowy Mountains". That's the main skiing area, laughably small compared with elsewhere in the world and most of the snow is man-made.

Inland areas of NSW and Victoria get very light snow, in fact it often makes the news when they do. Then on the border of Queensland and NSW there is an area called the Darling Downs which I think gets very occasional snow -- Dee might know. The little island off the south of Australia -- Tasmania -- has quite a lot of areas that get snow.

Inland winter temperatures could go down to -5C but not much more. Here on the coast I think 8C is very cold (that would be at night). For me a daytime cold temperature would be 15C.

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Ken, the two times I lived in Kentucky they had massive winter storms.

They all laughed at my inability to put chains on my tires. Who puts chains on an RX-7?
I've always been endlessly fascinated about putting chains on tyres Trachy. How do you get a chain around a tyre if you don't jack up the car? Or do you have to jack up the car?

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
And where d'ya think you colonials got your expressions!!
You're right there Toots! I've been reading "Call the Midwife", one of the appendixes is a fascinating explanation of Cockney which helped me to understand where so much Australian slang and idiom came from.

Duff you seem to have thought out that job well , more power to you, I hope it all goes well.

Have a good day peeps.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
I've always been endlessly fascinated by putting chains on tyres Trachy. How do you get a chain around a tyre if you don't jack up the car?
Well, if I knew that answer....
Old 01-21-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Well, if I knew that answer....
Really?! So if when it starts snowing a whole lot of cars haven't got chains on, they all have to pull over, jack up their cars and put on chains? That must be traffic jam central!

How do you choose between chains and snow tyres? Is one better than the other? Can you drive with snow tyres on if there is no snow or is that dangerous?
Old 01-21-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

i live in Georgia. If I knew those answers...
Old 01-21-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Marcher, yes you would have to lift the car upost people would do it as a preemptive strike , most places don't allow them anymore because they tear up the road if there isn't any snow
Old 01-21-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Once upon a time in the dark ages of my youth I had to put chains on my car. No need to jack it up - the chains could lay flat behind the tires, then one would back up onto the chains and then pull up the chains over the tire and fasten.

These days, the choice comes down to 3 main options: 1. Snow tires, 2. Snow tires with studs, 3. Don't drive when it's snowy or icy

Studs are bad for bare highways and not driving in winter isn't a great option unless one lives where I do.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers from a grey stormy Paradise.

I had something really good happen just a few minutes ago. We are going out with a couple of friends tonight to celebrate Mr Marcher's b'day which was on Thursday and one of those friends texted me to ask "Is it BYO?" (He was asking me whether we take beer/wine or if they have their own list. )

Here's the awesome thing: I didn't know! This is a newish restaurant that we haven't been to so I'd checked out the menu online but that was all! I've now looked to let him know.... but how cool is that.

Thanks for the snow education peeps, I love this stuff, I well remember North explaining drain pipes and attics in freezing temperatures.

Have a great weekend.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay safe all you snowy people

I know what you mean Marcher

Have a great weekend gang

D
Old 01-22-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

That's neat, Marcher! And a happy birthday to Mr Marcher.

I hope you have a good weekend, too, Dee!
Old 01-22-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

It's starting to move into ATL. Unfortunately, later than expected so tomorrow morn will be a mess. We closed work early today and I hit the grocery so I haven't anywhere to be other than here.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

No snow down here but it's been a rainy, chilly mess. Hubby's away on a golf weekend and the boys, dogs and I are safely tucked in for the night.

Yes, stay safe everyone in the storm zone!! Have a great weekend all.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:37 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Yes, thinking of those affected, will it reach you Sass?

Just wet here.

Happy Birthday Mr M and isn't it great to know that our thinking has so radically changed? !
Old 01-23-2016, 01:42 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Toots, we are only expecting a dusting at most. I see a very tiny bit on the road (though that could be leftover) but the cars are clear. My daughter, however, is practically in the bull's eye.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Marcher, like toots said, isn't it nice to how different our thinking is now? Good for you, and happy belated birthday marcher!!

This isa quick driveby, I gotta go lead while... We bought our house yesterday!!! My hand hurts from signing papers. We signed a lot of things that said @spouse" on them, lol. Thankfully it hasn't taken long for legal documents to catch up to marriage equality lol.

We're homo-ners!!!
Old 01-23-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

We, woohoo!!! Happy to hear you and j now have a home together that sounds like what you wanted :-).
Old 01-23-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Yes, we have===I'm very happy for you.
Babs
Old 01-23-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Yay We!!! SOOOOOOOo happy for you & J!