Blogs


Notices

Class of December 2015 Pt 2

Old 12-26-2015, 11:51 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  
Member
 
CuteNGayYay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,295
Hey BraCh. I remember u. I've been an on and off again class member of a few. Including this one but a on Day 2. I too have lost jobs including one I really liked (recent) I don't know how I was ever able to handle work hungover almost daily with out a problem but nowadays it's simply no joke. Binge drinking once or twice a month needs to stop. My body can't handle it anymore. I really gotta get serious. I don't know what that involves but I definitely need a plan. It's very comforting to be able to come to SR at times your world seems to be crumbling. Thank u all. And happy Sober Sunday.
CuteNGayYay is offline  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CuteNGayYay For This Useful Post:
beautifulpines (12-27-2015), Bekindalways (12-27-2015), brach123 (12-27-2015), ChickChick (12-27-2015), lenches13 (12-27-2015), MissPerfumado (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015), Olivia2011 (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  
Member
 
MrsLamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 129
Day 2. plan in place, I have stopped drinking this month, hi everyone.
MrsLamp is offline  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrsLamp For This Useful Post:
beautifulpines (12-27-2015), Bekindalways (12-27-2015), Bluejay71 (12-27-2015), brach123 (12-27-2015), Carlotta (12-27-2015), ChickChick (12-27-2015), Dee74 (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015), Olivia2011 (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 02:04 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
Dee74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 188,549
Blog Entries: 1
Hi Mrs Lamp

D
Dee74 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
Bekindalways (12-27-2015), ChickChick (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 03:11 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  
Member
 
brach123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NW UK
Posts: 164
Lots of great successes happening in this here thread!

Thanks a lot ubntubnt, yes I've been hear before also, with some sober time but after a period of time, I'd lost my firm resolution and motivation to remain sober. After time I crumbled. This time around I feel like remaining sober is the one essential thing in my life, I really need it if I want to live past 40 and have any sort of happy life in the meantime. I hope after how bad things have got that it will remain firmly embedded in my mind that sobriety/recovery is my number 1 priority. That said the alcoholic mind is mighty tricky and deceptive so I plan on posting here daily and attending AA meetings a few times a week to maintain momentum! :-)

I had such a great few days over Christmas and wasn't tempted to drink; I did have a few moments feeling a little uneasy and anxious being around people drinking, but it soon passed and I avoided it mostly. If I find myself getting anxious or even excitable I always take a step back to relax, meditate and bring my mind back to being more calm. I make much wiser decisions when I'm calm and balanced!

Have a great sober day guys, all the best!
brach123 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brach123 For This Useful Post:
ChickChick (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015), Olivia2011 (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  
Member
 
brach123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NW UK
Posts: 164
Hey cute, sorry I missed your post there! I remember you also!

Happy to hear you're giving it another go. We can both do this if we want it! Binge drinking definitely becomes more intolerable as we get older hey. It will zap the life out you eventually. My binges got more frequent, drinking more and more each time, with the consequences getting more severe... I'm sure you can relate. I'd never felt worse about myself and life, the way things had been, there's definitely a reason we'd already tried to sober up and it just keeps getting worse if we drink.

Stick with it and I'll see you in this thread soon!
brach123 is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to brach123 For This Useful Post:
Bekindalways (12-27-2015), ChickChick (12-27-2015), CuteNGayYay (12-27-2015), Dee74 (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015), Olivia2011 (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  
Almost 700 years sober
 
Soberwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 66,890
Blog Entries: 4
Have a lovely day everyone
Soberwolf is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soberwolf For This Useful Post:
beautifulpines (12-27-2015), Bekindalways (12-27-2015), ChickChick (12-27-2015), Dee74 (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015), Olivia2011 (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  
Member
 
Bluejay71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Alberta
Posts: 45
Day 2 for me as well, Mrs. Lamp. We can get through today without drinking!
Bluejay71 is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bluejay71 For This Useful Post:
Bekindalways (12-27-2015), brach123 (12-27-2015), ChickChick (12-27-2015), Dee74 (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015), Olivia2011 (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  
Member
 
starsailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 23
Hi All, I just want to check in for Day 1. I met up with an old drinking buddy last night as she's having problems with her marriage. I matched her drink for drink but she's got a much higher tolerance than I have now. I can't believe I was so silly to think I could meet up with her and my sobriety would stay intact. I feel dreadful now, so anxious worrying if the neighbours saw me staggering home from the local pub which I went to alone after I'd finished with my friend. Panicking cos I saw someone I knew in there and that will mean my dirty little secret may be out and everyone will find out I'm an alcoholic. When does the fear go? How can I ensure that it won't overwhelm me and make me fall off the wagon again?
starsailor is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to starsailor For This Useful Post:
beautifulpines (12-27-2015), Bekindalways (12-27-2015), ChickChick (12-27-2015), CuteNGayYay (12-27-2015), Dee74 (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015), Olivia2011 (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  
Member
 
Jenses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by starsailor View Post
Hi All, I just want to check in for Day 1. I met up with an old drinking buddy last night as she's having problems with her marriage. I matched her drink for drink but she's got a much higher tolerance than I have now. I can't believe I was so silly to think I could meet up with her and my sobriety would stay intact. I feel dreadful now, so anxious worrying if the neighbours saw me staggering home from the local pub which I went to alone after I'd finished with my friend. Panicking cos I saw someone I knew in there and that will mean my dirty little secret may be out and everyone will find out I'm an alcoholic. When does the fear go? How can I ensure that it won't overwhelm me and make me fall off the wagon again?
So sorry to hear about your evening - that is tough. I only have 3 weeks under my belt so can only comment on my limited learning and experience. Biggest thing for me is putting myself first - I am ultimately in charge of my sobriety and my healing. That means sometimes making difficult choices for the bigger win (intentionally avoiding triggers) which may seem hurtful to others at times. It may sound cruel, but friend was not concerned regarding your recovery and chose to put herself first. Perhaps something to consider is how much you value that specific relationship if there is a blatant disregard for your wellbeing. I get that she didn't chose sobriety, but there should be a conscious effort to support you by not testing your limits and putting you in a trigger situation. I know a few people in the Dec class have written about friends and drinking so hopefully they can jump in here. In the meantime, day 1 is a good place to be - fresh start and a greater understanding of your triggers which you can use going forward.
Hang in there.
Jenses is offline  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jenses For This Useful Post:
beautifulpines (12-27-2015), Bekindalways (12-27-2015), brach123 (12-27-2015), Carlotta (12-27-2015), ChickChick (12-27-2015), Dee74 (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015), Olivia2011 (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 3,233
Day 7. Feeling pretty strong even though we are having christmas dinner with my Dad tonight (huge trigger) and I found 3 of hubby's beers. I'm lucky dinner will be a short ordeal, 2 hours tops. I pray that the urge to drink will not come after dinner.
I feel it is very doable to be sober into the new year. With 7 days I feel I have a bit of my groove back from this time last year when I had months sober.
Sorry this is just babble. I just wanted to get out what was in my head. Hope you all are having a great sober Sunday! I'll be back after dinner.
ChickChick is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChickChick For This Useful Post:
beautifulpines (12-27-2015), brach123 (12-27-2015), Dee74 (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015), Olivia2011 (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  
Member
 
beautifulpines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: maine
Posts: 204
feeling pretty blue today, remembering all the days wasted along the way. But a drink will not help and actually I have no urge to drink. Sticking to the path. It's dark here in Maine early, so I feel that's part of the problem also. Have a lovely evening all you Dec folks and all others!!!
beautifulpines is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beautifulpines For This Useful Post:
brach123 (12-27-2015), ChickChick (12-27-2015), Dee74 (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015), venuscat (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
Dee74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 188,549
Blog Entries: 1
welcome Brach and starsailor

congrats on a week Chick!

D
Dee74 is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
brach123 (12-28-2015), ChickChick (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015), starsailor (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  
Member
 
ubntubnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,222
Blog Entries: 18
Originally Posted by Jenses View Post
So sorry to hear about your evening - that is tough. I only have 3 weeks under my belt so can only comment on my limited learning and experience. Biggest thing for me is putting myself first - I am ultimately in charge of my sobriety and my healing. That means sometimes making difficult choices for the bigger win (intentionally avoiding triggers) which may seem hurtful to others at times. It may sound cruel, but friend was not concerned regarding your recovery and chose to put herself first. Perhaps something to consider is how much you value that specific relationship if there is a blatant disregard for your wellbeing. I get that she didn't chose sobriety, but there should be a conscious effort to support you by not testing your limits and putting you in a trigger situation. I know a few people in the Dec class have written about friends and drinking so hopefully they can jump in here. In the meantime, day 1 is a good place to be - fresh start and a greater understanding of your triggers which you can use going forward. Hang in there.
This is a critical area for me, how to handle friends that were Either just drinking buddies or good friends, that drink like normal people.

Here is my simple way of looking at it that has worked for me so far. If I have. A friend that I have only seen when drinking (ie we don't do non drinking things together also) then they are a drinking buddy irrespective of how close I used to think we were. They need to go, if not permanently, at least for a while. They will gravitate to other drinkers soon enough. I have told them I am "off the beer" and busy. We chat on social media.

Friends that are "normal drinkers" I continue to see but mostly doing non drinking things together (I bring the family along). I think we get a little paranoid as alcoholics and think "my god, what will they think if I say I am not drinking?" Will they know I am an alcoholic, the shame!! Actually, they don't mind, don't care. The alcoholism is in our heads and not theirs. I simply told them I want to get a bit fitter, lose some weight and that I am trying to eat clean and have dropped the booze. That's it, no further issue from them.

What I absolutely certainly will not do is meet a drinker to catch up in a bar/pub. In my opinion in this early stage of recovery that is the same as taking the first sip. That's how the AV works...."hey what's the harm in meeting X? It's just catching up, you don't have to drink, you have not seen X in months, come on!" Whatever.

Day 28 here and eyeing Friday when I will have a month behind me. Yeah!
ubntubnt is offline  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ubntubnt For This Useful Post:
Bluejay71 (12-27-2015), brach123 (12-28-2015), ChickChick (12-27-2015), CuteNGayYay (12-27-2015), Dee74 (12-27-2015), Jenses (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015), Olivia2011 (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 10
I just want to check in and say you guys are doing great. I was in the June class and I'm happy to say I've got 200+ days under my belt by now. What you're doing is hard, but possible. The first month was difficult, but I can say life becomes normal. I am absolutely certain that I've had far fewer problems and difficulties since giving it up.

Best wishes to everyone, don't let life get you down. You can do it!
FranzFerdinand is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FranzFerdinand For This Useful Post:
brach123 (12-28-2015), ChickChick (12-27-2015), CuteNGayYay (12-27-2015), Dee74 (12-27-2015), Jenses (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015), Olivia2011 (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
Dee74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 188,549
Blog Entries: 1
Good to see you FF

Wise words ubn
D
Dee74 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
ChickChick (12-27-2015), CuteNGayYay (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  
Member
 
Bluejay71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Alberta
Posts: 45
Finishing up day two. Made a big pot of healthy food to keep me going for the next few days of being busy with work - I know it will help to have it prepared. I will eat a good lunch at work from it, and have it easy to warm up when I get home from work. It was always to easy to just be starving by the time I finished work from not eating properly during the day, and thinking about how there was nothing 'easy' to eat for dinner, so I would just stop at the liquor store on the way home. A nice full stomach from a good meal always keeps me away from the booze, so I will really work on having lots of good healthy meals around. Plus some chocolate of course!

Thanks for being here!
Bluejay71 is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bluejay71 For This Useful Post:
brach123 (12-28-2015), ChickChick (12-27-2015), CuteNGayYay (12-27-2015), Dee74 (12-27-2015), Jenses (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  
Member
 
ubntubnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,222
Blog Entries: 18
Originally Posted by FranzFerdinand View Post
I just want to check in and say you guys are doing great. I was in the June class and I'm happy to say I've got 200+ days under my belt by now. What you're doing is hard, but possible. The first month was difficult, but I can say life becomes normal. I am absolutely certain that I've had far fewer problems and difficulties since giving it up. Best wishes to everyone, don't let life get you down. You can do it!
That's really great....thanks for the post. Shows it can be done. Happy sober new year!
ubntubnt is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ubntubnt For This Useful Post:
ChickChick (12-27-2015), Dee74 (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  
Member
 
ubntubnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,222
Blog Entries: 18
Originally Posted by Bluejay71 View Post
Finishing up day two. Made a big pot of healthy food to keep me going for the next few days of being busy with work - I know it will help to have it prepared. I will eat a good lunch at work from it, and have it easy to warm up when I get home from work. It was always to easy to just be starving by the time I finished work from not eating properly during the day, and thinking about how there was nothing 'easy' to eat for dinner, so I would just stop at the liquor store on the way home. A nice full stomach from a good meal always keeps me away from the booze, so I will really work on having lots of good healthy meals around. Plus some chocolate of course! Thanks for being here!
Sounds good bluejay. Getting hungry and not having a meal waiting at home was a trigger for me also....easier to stop by the pub for some drink-food-drink. Like you I am much less likely to drink if I have just eaten a decent meal. Keep planning and pushing, good luck.
ubntubnt is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ubntubnt For This Useful Post:
Bluejay71 (12-27-2015), ChickChick (12-27-2015), Dee74 (12-27-2015), Jenses (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 741
I have been a pathological relapser. I dont know what to do. I feel helpless. I have joined plenty of classes here on SR. Im hoping and praying that this is my last join. Im feeling pretty helpless and worthless right now. The only thing that I know is that I will not stop attempting to rid myself of this disease. Joining you guys in this journey.
FaithfulAndFree is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FaithfulAndFree For This Useful Post:
Bluejay71 (12-27-2015), ChickChick (12-27-2015), CuteNGayYay (12-27-2015), Dee74 (12-27-2015), nmd (12-27-2015), Olivia2011 (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  
nmd
Member
 
nmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Western New York
Posts: 2,032
Blog Entries: 8
Originally Posted by FaithfulAndFree View Post
I have been a pathological relapser. I dont know what to do. I feel helpless. I have joined plenty of classes here on SR. Im hoping and praying that this is my last join. Im feeling pretty helpless and worthless right now. The only thing that I know is that I will not stop attempting to rid myself of this disease. Joining you guys in this journey.
Welcome back f&f, right there with you. You made it pretty far last September, you can do it again. Back on day 2 myself
nmd is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nmd For This Useful Post:
ChickChick (12-27-2015), CuteNGayYay (12-27-2015), Dee74 (12-27-2015), FaithfulAndFree (12-27-2015)

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:49 PM.