Notices

Class of December 2015 Pt 2

Old 12-20-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Welcome nowwhat. Glad you are here with us

Good job on 3 days rio. It is a tough time of year to do this, but it will only make you stronger and more committed when you get through it.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CuteNGayYay View Post
Hello everyone. Just wanted to check in and say hello. Been a crazy week. Work. Shopping. Etc. Hope all is well.
Dee I've had my nights where I ****** up. One was my jobs Xmas party and I honestly was the one who made sure no one drove. I didn't get wasted at an open bar. Do I think I'm saved? Hell no. But I feel my experiences r slowly making me realize I don't wanna be the one. Baby steps. And I really feel I care more about others than me. It's time for me. I guess. I love u dee. I'm sorry I'm always f'in up. But I really am not a bad drunk. But I know I'm much more amazing sober. I appreciate u all.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Welcome nowwhat.

I made decent headway on my recovery plan on the weekend. Writing down my triggers was particularly useful as it made me have to think about my coping techniques, especially on evenings when I'm alone and when I travel. It led me to rediscover three hobbies I used to have and gradually stopped pursuing. One of them was creative writing ... I actually dug out and literally dusted off my old unfinished manuscript ... the one that was going to be a bestseller and make me famous. Well, it just might see the light of day!

In any case, I could see the real practical benefits of the plan - I guess just another reason why Dee does often bang on about doing it.

I finished reading Milam and Ketcham's Under the Influence and found the following quotes from it so inspiring I felt they had to be shared:

Just trying to be normal is not good enough, [the alcoholic] must reach for a higher level of maturity and self-knowledge than the nonalcoholic achieves, for he must cope with greater difficulties without resorting to chemical relief as they can and regularly do.
And if that's daunting, it goes on to say:

As sobriety continues, everything will gradually improve. The alcoholic will soon learn that anything he could accomplish with alcohol he can do better, and enjoy more, without it. He will remember his past drinking for the hell it really was, and understand that there is no problem that drinking would not make worse. At first, as he watches others drink and enjoy themselves, he will feel deprived of something good. Later, he will feel gratefully rid of something bad. He will be able to say to himself, "Thank God I don't ever have to go through that again."
Have a great Monday everyone!
Old 12-20-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Getting through today. I am very emotional, last night and today. I must have cried ten times in the past 24 hours. Mostly about my father. My first Christmas without him, and we are coming up on one year since we lost him , and, of course, I feel it all so much more when I am sober. I cry when I drink sometimes but it's almost like a numb, useless cry, if that makes any sense.
I didn't really consider drinking today, but that doesn't mean I didn't think of how much I would love some red wine to just take the edge off. And ruin 6 days of not drinking, and make me sleep horribly, and cause me to hate myself tomorrow morning and feel guilty and stuck all over again. And because of all of that the the fact that I drank so why not just keep it going until Christmas, I'd be on a full blown binge all week. Sounds like fun- NOT>

Ugh, why do we want something that has proven itself time and time again to only hurt us?
This is my fourth Christmas without my mom and my first without my dad so I understand wanting to take the edge off. Just remember what your father wanted for you - to be happy and healthy. That is what I keep reminding myself - my chance to be the best me.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

I'm thinking of you, Betterlife. My mom passed in 2009, and I still hurt deeply at the loss. ((Hugs))
Old 12-20-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

I am just finishing day 14 which is good. According to my Quit That app I have saved $217.28 which is a great way to quantify the gains (note that is in Canadian so take with a grain of salt - or really crappy exchange rate lol)!

Warning: BUMOSI! (Aka brief uninterrupted moment of shared introspection )
I am still surprised when I get that quick moment of longing at 4:00pm for a glass of wine - especially when everyone is sitting around with a beer relaxing. I remind myself that it's not the first drink I need to remember but the last (which usually I couldn't remember lol touché). I really hope that with time that feeling passes. It is a moment of emptiness - nothing to look forward to - which is the hardest part. The holidays are a trigger but hopefully I learn new ways to celebrate downtime and look forward to them as much as I did when anticipating the first glass.

That's my day 14 rant. Hopefully day 28 rant will be about crazy neighbors, pros and cons of fruitcake or Ascension strategy
Old 12-20-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Hey all Mind if I join - I started an individual thread earlier, so will not rehash!
Old 12-20-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Welcome learningagain!
Old 12-20-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
Hi everyone. Welcome nowwhat. I made decent headway on my recovery plan on the weekend. Writing down my triggers was particularly useful as it made me have to think about my coping techniques, especially on evenings when I'm alone and when I travel. It led me to rediscover three hobbies I used to have and gradually stopped pursuing. One of them was creative writing ... I actually dug out and literally dusted off my old unfinished manuscript ... the one that was going to be a bestseller and make me famous. Well, it just might see the light of day! In any case, I could see the real practical benefits of the plan - I guess just another reason why Dee does often bang on about doing it. I finished reading Milam and Ketcham's Under the Influence and found the following quotes from it so inspiring I felt they had to be shared: And if that's daunting, it goes on to say: Have a great Monday everyone!
Nice quotes, I think I will get the book. Seems some good thoughtful stuff in there.

On day 21, on hols with family now in South East Asia. I probably won't get too much time to check in but will stay on top of this group's thread. Sorry for those feeling a little blue. I guess it's inevitable at this time of year. Stay sober everyone. You will enter the year with some sober days behind you and a new resilience on Jan 1.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Welcome, Learning.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:49 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a nice week everyone
Old 12-20-2015, 11:54 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Nowwhat Again Day 4?

Made it one more day. Funny how enthusiastic I am when I wake and how scary it all feels at 3pm. But if I get past 7-8 I am good again. Away for a ski weekend and had dinner where I would normally throw back the first 4-5 of more to come. In bed now feeling great ready the ski the **** out of some fresh pow pow tomorrow. I wish I felt more committed though, still keep thinking I can clean up for a few months and do it right this time. Have to remember all the awful things that did and really awful things that almost did happen to get back in the "this time forever" mindset. Concentrating on health and my kids for my goals. Disulfiram helps with the nagging thoughts a ton. Anyone else here using it? Takes a lot of the mental back and forth away. Thanks for the welcome and let's do this.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:39 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  
rbk

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for sharing your remarkable and inspiring stories. Having battled the shame and guilt from over indulgence for too long it has become time for me to commit to a life of sobriety.

Over time I have awoken feeling guilty or ashamed of the person I am when drunk which has exacerbated other personal mental issues. Incidents in the past from binge drinking have caused great personal grief even when I am not fully to blame.

This brings me to today where I want to commit to getting the monkey off my back to enjoy a life free of alcohol.

Thanks for Sharing your inspiring stories I feel a little more at ease with my situation.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:53 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome RBK

D
Old 12-21-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Still here, finally getting over sickness bug.....hopefully all illness out of the way for xmas now and can enjoy it. Im now going to have a coffee and an hour on a video game while my little rugrat has his nap. Have a sober day everyone.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Welcome learning

Great quotes Miss P., I think that may be one recovery book I have not read yet. Glad you are rediscovering yourself, alcohol keeps us stuck but once we remove it, it’s like possibilities open up.

Thank you Jenses and Vona. I know that it is a fact of life that we lose our parents, but I just can’t seem to accept it or wrap my head around it yet, even after almost a year. It’s a constant ache in my heart. But I do know that he is looking out for me, and rooting for me, so that keeps me going and motivated to do the right things.

Great Bumos Jenses...that is me exactly. Around the same time 4-6, drinking just seems like the only thing to do and I’m so pissed that I can’t, it doesn’t seem right or natural. Emptiness ensues. Is this all there is? But, like most feelings, that passes and by the morning, I have a new found determination and life seems full again. “This too shall pass”, I say that to myself multiple times a day.

Ub--- I love that ... "You will enter the year with some sober days behind you and a new resilience on Jan 1". It truly is one thing that is keeping me going, I want to enter the new year with some pride in myself, that even though its been a very difficult year, I ended it with strength and kept a commitment to myself, and then feel all the determination that the new year begins anyway.

Day 8. Spent the entire day at home yesterday without drinking. Quite a feat for me, nothing to keep me busy or distract me. My family was around all day, but that wouldn’t normally stop me - just find and excuse to run to the store and sneak a bottle of wine in my room, and no one would be the wiser. Ugh. My daughter has a route canal today (poor baby) and then I hope to finish up some shopping.

Have a great sober day, I hope we all commit to posting when times get tough. That’s what we are here for
Old 12-21-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

And welcome RBK< we all know how you are feeling.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

RBK - so glad you are here. Your post was inspiring. I'm still working on the horrid guilt and shame feelings and others sharing just helps so very, very much to keep me on the path of sobriety and being truly present.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  
Do your best

Afternoon everyone
Old 12-21-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Day 4. Getting my car fixed today. Reality is slowly starting to creep back in as the haze clears.