Notices

Class of December 2015 Pt 2

Old 12-18-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
MissP - I think it would be great if you'd share your counseling sessions and ramble on! You're not rambling at all - very helpful stuff gonna come of it.

Merry Christmas

Olivia
Thanks Olivia. Don't say you weren't warned though

Merry Christmas to you too!
Old 12-18-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Getting started on day (17).

Have a nice sober day class.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

I do not disagree in any way. Though 1/4th the smallest dose they have / day scares me less than some of the other stuff I see prescribed in detox centers. Plus it's definitely not one of the meds I enjoy, can make me sleepy and I hate that. But you are absolutely correct, and cross addiction is something I do keep in mind, as we all should. Addiction comes in various forms (some people are addicted to carbohydrates even) and even a healthy addiction can be taken to dangerous levels. The thing that worried me most about my symptoms was that depending on quantity and time, and previous attempts to quit... those hyper nerves can cause bad things like dead (heart attack, stroke, seizures, ad nauseum) and my chest was beating hard enough at times it reminded me of a big scare I had a few years back. The ideal solution is to go into a detox center where they can give you hard core anti psychotic drugs n such. To be honest I feel strong confident, 11 days sober after 8-10 years of 6-12 units/day. and little to no need anymore for the small crutch I used to get past the worst of the first.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The problem with that for me would be that I was still using a substance, self medicating to help me 'cope'.

Many common medicines contain alcohol...even those that don't like Benadryl contains stuff like diphenhydramine, which I've seen people get addicted to, right here on this board.

Cross addiction (getting addicted to a drug we use to get off our drug of choice) is very real.

MY CNS calmed down by itself, in time.

I know...you said tiny sips...your call, but I really urge you to reconsider this NoRetreat.

I certainly wouldn't advise anyone else here to do the same, man.?

D
Old 12-18-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a great weekend everyone remember if your not feeling ok that's ok were here all weekend

In this together
Old 12-18-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Day eight, friends. I think I said nine in another post. Oops. Maybe that's a good sign.

Office party tonight. Feeling strong and have a plan.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me. I finally figured out an old family problem that has bothered me for years. I haven't completely solved it, but I think identifying it is a big step. Let's hope this is the push I need to give up alcohol. I'm working on putting together a plan. So, here we go
Old 12-18-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Here is a compilation of everyone that has attended the December class of 2015. We may come and we may go, but we have already left our mark on SR.

We hope to see everyone stopping in at some point to provide a progress report.

Wherever you are in the world, have a great day!

And to a great group of people supporting each other and appreciating what life is all about:

Soberwolf - Thank you for stopping in each day and providing inspiration.
Olivia2011
Fallow
Angie247
ZeldaFan
GBluewater
Meraviglioso
NoRetreat70
VirginiaWoof
Amber1988
MissPerfumada
Soberlife123
kellyrally
Pixia30f
Para
Vona71
Mish
Brw3210
Bekindalways
Cassandralee
MyShadow
Leasha24
Betty126
Uniqueusername
FacingFuture
Beautifulpines
Rio97
JoeM
Carebearlost
Jenses
Nightswimming50
Delta088
Earlyriser
Atxjoshua
Rivelino
Selfrespect
Leasha24
Daniel123
Yogini1603
Delilah1
CuteNGayYay
Camryn474
Ali123
GhostFace
McCartney
Highwind
SleepyDots
Soberjim
Applekat
Ubntubnt
Tans
Abraxas69
RedAndy
Jbmetzger
Nmd
Krisinwi
JJ9
Grendhar
Melki
MeHere
Snowbunting
ChickChick
Thomas59
SoberRunner
Worried75
Kirky
Sean30
Jsbodhi
julesonya
Ladybug2
DreamBig42
Forabetterlife
Jackie1214

....last but not least Dee

Stay Strong, NT
Old 12-18-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, hope you're doing well. Embarking on my 4th weekend... tonight is one of the evenings I dreaded when I first posted here just over 3 weeks ago. SO is out at her works Christmas party and will be drinking heavily. Thought I'd be jealous and in turn would falter - the fact of the matter is nothing could be further from the reality.

Looking forward to an evening to myself playing some xbox and watching some tv or a movie. Throw in a some antipasti, a rib-eye steak, and if I've any room some Ben & Jerrys ice-cream.... :-)))

Which is exactly the sort of evening I used to look forward to when my SO was out for the evening. But by about 8pm I'd be no longer capable of concentrating on even the most basic of games or movies, so that would go out the door. I'd have my steak yes, but ask me the next morning whether I'd enjoyed it and I wouldn't be able to honestly answer the question.

The last few weeks haven't always been easy, certainly not. But tonight I am very much enjoying the benefits of sobriety :-)))

Take care everyone
Old 12-18-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  
p***enger

Greetings to the class of December 2015 from the class of December 2012! Welcome to the sometimes painful, sometimes exhilarating, incredibly worthwhile process of getting clean & sober! Stick with the forums and don't drink or use! And stick with your class!

Hooray to you all!
Old 12-18-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Sometimes I'm not in class as much as I should be but wanted to say best wishes to all. Keep fighting, keep trying
I'm day 8, feeling good, getting stronger.
One day at a time.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Day 19. Feels like the days racking up quite quickly now. Had a moment last night where I was meeting someone for dinner, the drinks menus arrived, she ordered a glass of wine and I order a diet coke. She remarked, "you don't want a glass of wine?" I casually replied without thinking, "no thanks, I don't drink", without even thinking about it. Amazing.
She then slowly sipped it over the course of the meal never crossing her mind to order a second. So, this is how it is in the real world, works for me. Last weekend before Xmas everyone, a lot of parties going on I would imagine, not for me this year, please stay strong.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Thanks for the list NT, that's a lot of work!
I feel like it's a little quiet around here the past couple of days Hope everyone is doing well and just busy with holiday stuff.
I am ending day 5 and I made it through this tough night after my last day of work for 2 weeks. I exercised and followed through with my plans to stay busy.

My emotions are all over the place. I have so much on my mind, I am just trying to work out things that have happened in my life this year and start learning how to deal with it all sober, and not just for a week or two here or there, but for good.

There is a huge emptiness without alcohol, or the anticipation of alcohol, during a few hours of they day, that's for sure. It feels uncomfortable and sad. I just keep reminding myself that alcohol is holding me back from so much. And if i keep it up, not only will I never grow or find peace with myself or my life, but things will get worse. I have goals for myself, goals that cannot be achieved with alcohol in my life.
So, even when my addiction tells me that it's Christmas, and I'm on vacation, and I have had a tough year and I deserve it, and that it will only be one night, or just once a week- I stop. I think of WHY I'm doing this. And there are SO MANY reasons why.
I think we are all in agreement that it's ok to ramble here, at least I hope so. Sometimes we need to!
Old 12-18-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Thanks for the list NT, that's a lot of work!
I feel like it's a little quiet around here the past couple of days Hope everyone is doing well and just busy with holiday stuff.
I am ending day 5 and I made it through this tough night after my last day of work for 2 weeks. I exercised and followed through with my plans to stay busy.

My emotions are all over the place. I have so much on my mind, I am just trying to work out things that have happened in my life this year and start learning how to deal with it all sober, and not just for a week or two here or there, but for good.

There is a huge emptiness without alcohol, or the anticipation of alcohol, during a few hours of they day, that's for sure. It feels uncomfortable and sad. I just keep reminding myself that alcohol is holding me back from so much. And if i keep it up, not only will I never grow or find peace with myself or my life, but things will get worse. I have goals for myself, goals that cannot be achieved with alcohol in my life.
So, even when my addiction tells me that it's Christmas, and I'm on vacation, and I have had a tough year and I deserve it, and that it will only be one night, or just once a week- I stop. I think of WHY I'm doing this. And there are SO MANY reasons why.
I think we are all in agreement that it's ok to ramble here, at least I hope so. Sometimes we need to!
hi Better Life, it may be a good idea to write those reasons down, if not on a piece of paper maybe in a blog post here. You read them and add to them over time which may help.

Don't try to do too much too soon in terms of pulling your life together. You are still in the very very early days. For now just try to stay busy and calm and get through the days. It will all come good in due course. Well done on getting to where you are.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Thanks UB. You are right, one thing that has often set me up to drink again is expecting too much of myself too soon. And then I get overwhelmed or begin to feel entitled because I have worked so hard. I often will get through a tough situation without drinking, and then drink the next day.
I have written a list, but I do need to put it in an accessible place. Because I know the hard times are coming.
Great job on 19 days
Old 12-18-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Hello everyone - happy weekend.

Hi, forabetterlife ... we are both at a similar number of days in our sobriety (maybe I have the advantage being in an earlier timezone ). I am also still feeling the physical symptoms of withdrawal, I slept a little better last night but woke up with myriad aches (I wonder - is it the same truck that runs over me every night or a different one?).

Psychologically speaking, I identify with what you say about processing the events of this year and working out how to deal with them next year. I am a big believer in visualising the future as it has worked for me in the past. In the last few months, as my alcohol abuse was increasingly worsening, I could not see the future at all. My impending move back home next year, which I had actually asked for and which should give me more opportunities, was causing me anxiety. Every time I tried to still my mind and visualise it, all I had was fog. But the fog is lifting as I move through these first days of being sober ("gone are the dark clouds that had me blind" )

Part of my plan is to take up meditation and the visualisation techniques I used to enjoy. I don't know if this is the kind of thing you are interested in, but when I was able to do it, it gave me a lot of confidence about the future.

I really want that bright future that I know I can have, so so badly. More than any glass of wine, I tell myself - and my AV.

It's still early days I know, but I hope we can both (as well as everyone else here) push through. Enjoy your break - you deserve it
Old 12-18-2015, 09:57 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

It has been a super busy week for me. I plow snow for a living and got about 20 hours of overtime this week. I am so ready for bed. Goodnight class.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:26 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

So, even when my addiction tells me that it's Christmas, and I'm on vacation, and I have had a tough year and I deserve it, and that it will only be one night, or just once a week- I stop. I think of WHY I'm doing this.
Forabetterlife - These are the exact thoughts that have been going through my head the last few days as we're slowly approaching Christmas....

Day 20 here and I'm so pleased with myself that I can say that. Got a busy weekend planned but I know it's going to be a tough one as will the next week.

Have a great weekend everyone, stay strong X
Old 12-19-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Good morning class I woke up this morning with the most wonderful feeling of peace and self-satisfaction as I remembered that I have the whole, chilly day ahead of me, that I made it through another day and I am clearheaded - no anxiety, guilt, confusion, or physical pain. This is the exact feeling that I stay sober for (among other things). Call it the pink cloud or whatever, I don’t care what it is, it’s definitely what I want to feel every day (I’ll take even something close!).

Miss P. , I can’t visualize anything when I am drinking either- I can barely think about the future..it’s just my daily responsibilities (which, luckily, I still manage to get done) and then its all about when will I drink, how will I hide it, how awful I feel from the night before, or how/when do I stop for the umtpeenth time). Anyway, I just purchased the Calm app for my phone which has many guided meditations. I am in the early stages of meditation, I have heard there are so many benefits. I am hoping to use it especially now when I am not working when I have a craving or just need to be still and present. Good luck on your move...moving is stressful in and of itself, even when it’s a good move that you have chosen.

UUN, wow! This is definitely your time of year plowing snow! Its good to be busy these early days, makes the time go by faster and less time for cravings.

Ali, 20 days is awesome! It will be a tough week for me too, but think of that sense of accomplishment you will feel when you wake up sober each day

I am looking forward to all of my favorite things today: chilly weather (rare for where I live), long walk with my dog, shopping, and going to see Christmas lights and out to dinner with my girls and some family tonight. If I drank last night, all of these things, as much as I enjoy them, would have been a struggle. So sad.

Hope everyone has a nice, sober Saturday. Stay strong

“If you are tired of starting over, stop giving up.”
Old 12-19-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
Finally, my counsellor suggested I start journalling what happens to me every day and the insights I get from my day ... that should stop my from inflicting my ramblings on you all on a regular basis
I loved your post - keep it coming!
Old 12-19-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

I really appreciated this forabetterlife. You captured my feelings this week. Christmas is a celebration in our family which means drinking. I went out for a xmas get together last night and although only 2 of the 6 were drinking, I found myself envious of them - until I crawled into bed with an herbal tea and realized that going to bed sober is now as good or even better than waking up sober!
But I fall into that very same trap of "I deserve it" which is so hard to break. I am working through that myself and the only thing that has helped is addressing my all-or-nothing approach. I work myself to the bone and then want to nurture myself - or go numb - which brings on the I deserve it argument. Instead I am trying the 50/50 approach (been reading The Art of Extreme Self-Care) so I am hoping that this will help with treating myself like a work horse and avoiding the consequential urge to shut down.

And yes I love all the rambles. Let's not call them ramblings - let's call them Brief Uninterrupted Moments of Shared Introspection! BUMOSI! Err that's a horrible acronym - but you know what I mean lol