Notices

Class of December 2015 Pt 2

Old 12-14-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Happy monday everyone. Today may be my hundredth or more day one but I am ready for sobriety and the journey ahead. My company is gone, and i will finish out this year and beyond sober. I know what I need to do and it's about time. Glad to have all of you and SR along side of me. I know how much better my life is sober and it's what I want. I have a million reasons why I need to stop messing around, playing with fire, and just being stuck in a drinking rut. It almost feels like a relief.
I know it won't always be easy but I know there are better days ahead.
Congrats to those of you with some time under your belt this months, you inspire me !
Old 12-14-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Hi all. Day 2. Just finished some yummy soup o made for lunch and am sitting down with a notebook to work on a plan.
Feeling pretty tired and yucky today. The drinking that I've done this month has kept me up to ungodly hours, I feel like I could hibernate for a month.
More later. Thinking of you all.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! My first time posting in the class. Day 3 is coming to a close my days 1 and 2 were a Saturday and Sunday which were very rough at times, cried a lot on Saturday. I suffer with anxiety and last Monday, going into work with a hangover from hell, was just horrific. This Monday, today, on day 3 - I was delayed due to my train being cancelled and had to walk into my team meeting halfway through. Normally this is the kind of thing which I panic about, obsessed with worry and fear, but I did it without too much thinking about it. I also dread meetings and having to sit with other people due to anxiety, racing heart, fear of being judged etc. But today I actually enjoyed the meeting and talked to my colleagues without that awful paranoia and fear which has plagued me ever since I can remember. Unheard of for me. As well as this, I felt a clarity of mind and productiveness I have honestly not felt for years. Admittedly this amazing calm, capable feeling wore off this afternoon and I don't feel particularly enlightened right now (I'm tired), but for only day 3 I am blown away! If this is what long term sobriety feels like, I want more!!
Old 12-14-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Welcome to our new joiners; Amber and Better life.
Day 15 here. Nice sunshine and blue sky. Feel good. Cravings still at bay, off on hols on Saturday so I am looking forward to that. Its two weeks with the family and my wife doesn't drink so I think it should be straight forward enough.
Stay away from that first drink everyone....for other people that one glass of cold beer or celebratory glass of champagne exists. Not for us though. That single innocent looking first glass ends in utter devastation, unfortunately I can attest to that. If you don't believe me read the site, there were a couple of horrendous threads yesterday. Have a good day.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Another day 1 for me.

This forum got my through 6 weeks earlier in the year but fell off the wagon. Clambering back on now though!
Old 12-14-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Evening class. So sorry no time to catch up on posts. 17 hour shift and another one tomorrow. 2 weeks sober. woooohoooo! Thats a personal record. I was thinking at work today. If I put as much effort into my sobriety as I did drinking then this should be a no brainer. Well it is still hard at times but getting easier. Goodnight.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Made it through day 2. That's a first this month. I sure hope it's the last day 2. I worked on a plan using the pdf that Dee posts. I'm feeling more confident that I can get back to the sober I had at the beginning of this year. I'm remembering things I did to stay sober and help me feel less overwhelmed with things which is a big trigger for me.
I spent the afternoon and evening cleaning, cooking and baking. I had a nice long hot bath after my kids were asleep. I'm ready to turn in now. I'm looking forward to being hangover free in the morning.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:49 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Well done Chick and UUN. Looks like we are all getting our act together. Lets just keep our feet on the ground and keep grinding out the days. I am trying to make these non drinking feel days less of a novelty and trying to make them feel more normal. Easier said than done.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:21 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a nice sober Tuesday everyone
Old 12-15-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

I went to the gym today and it felt better already - just on Day 2.

But I'm a teeny bit wiser in now I know the feeling better in itself is a possible trap if I don't get to the underlying issues. That's what happened before - just a week sober and everything was so much better - I was fresher at work so that was looking up and I was going hard at the gym so I was physically feeling so goooood about myself. And that's when the thoughts of "well, this is actually easy, you can make things work, you can feel fine" etc. etc. etc. And so that went predictably and I fell off very quickly.

This time I will look harder at the resources both here and more widely available. I didn't really do that before.

The resources about the AV are especially important to me because my AV speaks very loudly about the stuff that goes right in my life but never about the things that I have messed up because of my drinking. So I'm prone to falling off the wagon not because something goes wrong but because things look like they're going all right again.

My realisation for today is the 3Hs - that this is going to need more honesty, more humility and more outside help than the last time.

Sorry if I post long wordy posts - it makes be feel better to share these things.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:30 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Miss p, I tend to feel better very quickly too and in less than a week my av gets me questioning why I'm doing all of this. Day 2 for me as well and I like your 3 H's

I was doing some looking around on Sr last night and saw that I have joined at least 5 classes this year. And that's just 2015. I have to admit it really made me feel ashamed. I feel extremely committed this time around, a kind of confident acceptance that it's just time. But then I saw that I've said it all and wrote it all before.

This past weekend I drank to my hearts content and didn't enjoy a single minute of it. In fact, I longed for sobriety in the midst of drinking. I saw what a lie the lure of drinking is for me now. Years ago, not so much. It WAS fun, it make me talkative and happy, but it doesn't work like that for me now. It just sucks me into my own world of isolation and dull, warped thoughts.

Great nights sleep and I can feel my body healing. I want it to be the last time. All these stops and starts must be taking a toll on me.
Have a good day all ....
Old 12-15-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone one,

Day 46 here.

MissP, good stuff on going to the gym and congrats on day 2.

The gym has kept me sober for the past month. I see it as another high. When ever the thought of drinking appears to me, I just remember the bad times and hangover.

I'm seeing alot of progress with these few weeks and I'm sure you can endure the same benefits.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Day 1
Old 12-15-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

(2) weeks today.....

I'm just as shocked as you are.....
Old 12-15-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Congrats Neverthought!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Yo yo yo yo!! Good day y'all

Well I'm back in....

I went back out and low and behold shock horror.......the same result......misery, depression, anxiety, missed work, lots of cash wasted, no energy....

but it was all worth it because of the advantages and the benefits and the good times had right?

I'll list them here...............eh....answers on a post card please

But I did it for YOU so you don't have to go back out and experiment and see if you get the same results as like your past. I took one for the TEAM!!

but no more ok? it's proven no.....same misery packaged as something else
Old 12-15-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheRake View Post
Yo yo yo yo!! Good day y'all Well I'm back in.... I went back out and low and behold shock horror.......the same result......misery, depression, anxiety, missed work, lots of cash wasted, no energy.... but it was all worth it because of the advantages and the benefits and the good times had right? I'll list them here...............eh....answers on a post card please But I did it for YOU so you don't have to go back out and experiment and see if you get the same results as like your past. I took one for the TEAM!! but no more ok? it's proven no.....same misery packaged as something else
Sorry to say Rake but that was a powerful thread yesterday. A very painful lesson. Please let that be your last. Lean on us as much as you need to. Good luck buddy.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

13 days here and in my heart of heart know I can continue to stay sober and content. Blessings to all.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Hi all, I am 1 week sober. Been lurking, reading, learning, analyzing, comparing, lamenting, and rejoicing with hope. Always in the past i would try to 'cut down' which worked for awhile then invariably the quantity would rise again. I was afraid to quit, afraid of the pain, the changes, the mental anguish... not anymore. In fairness, I have had an odd strength I have never had before (but then again I found a new fear that made the fear of quitting alcohol pale by comparison... borderline diabetic, and o yeah my wife has grown so very weary of my rollercoaster ride). I see in everyone's words; the hopes, the excuses, the illusions, and the stark realizations I have made over the years. Alcohol never gave me energy, it numbed the pain that slowed me down. Alcohol never made more social, it numbed the fear I wanted to hide from and not face. Alcohol never made me happy, it pulled a cover over my worries so I couldn't see them so clearly or it would even make me snap to angry at the thought of a cross word. In this week I had maybe 2 itches to actually drink again... the outrage I immediately felt inside at myself was palpable. I nearly foamed at the mouth screaming at myself in the mirror, except I understood I wasn't yelling directly at myself, I was yelling at (to borrow from the TV show Dexter) my dark passenger, My "Jimminy Cricket's evil twin". This was the first anger I have felt the whole week and it was at myself.

The hardest thing now is patience, waiting, hoping to see despair transform into hope in the eyes of my loved ones. Hoping they see that this time isn't like before, that this time I am not sneaking a beer or 2 in the basement while they think I am cutting down. That I can't and won't ever be the way it was during my cloudy years ever again. That the real me is finally coming home.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Beginning of day five for me today. This is the first day I woke up feeling decent since I quit. No headache, sweats, or sleeplessness last night. I can't believe it! I realized last night that when I reach day seven, that will be the longest I've gone without alcohol in 25 years, give or take.