Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 5

Old 01-26-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, good to hear the updates.

Sorry about your cold, Winslow! I ran into my neighbor yesterday (all the neighbors are out digging out and walking around) and he said his whole house was sick. Their little son brought something home and they are all sick. I felt so bad for them. At least we have remained healthy during this snowstorm! I hope you get better quick!

Grizzly, great job getting all those things done. You must feel great getting everything under control. I had bloodwork done this past fall and was so nervous but everything turned out great, thank goodness. I see my OB/GYN either yearly or every 6 months as well. Also, my dermatologist every 6 months. I had skin cancer (the worst kind - Melanoma) a few years ago. Scary stuff, but it was caught early and treated well. I feel very lucky to have had the health care that I did. I may not be here today if I didn't have health insurance and get to the doctor!

Midton, hope the snow lets up. Today here is warmer so it's melting, but not quickly enough. It's a mess out there and I have giant icicles hanging from my roof. I'm afraid they are going to fall and knock one of us in the head. The ice is forming as well so I'm constantly deicing my steps and walkway. We'll get through this..... I'm still working from home, which is a blessing. So it could be worse.

RE: drinking, I have now hit 14 days post binge. That's two weeks. Yay! And almost 1/2 way to 30. The days start adding up as soon as you put your mind to this.

I have been reading Sober is the New Black and will finish it soon. It's a quick read and I can't really recommend it overall, though it's not terrible - just not great. There was one thing that she said that really resonated with me. She spoke of how she would get home from work all stressed out and pour herself a glass of wine and sit down. But then she would say to herself, "But now what?" That was me exactly. I'd get all ready, buy myself a bottle, get all set up in my room for privacy, pour myself a glass and say, "Now what do I do?" This would inevitably lead me to logging in on Facebook and reaching out to people, because in reality I didn't want to drink alone and just sit there. A bell went off in my head when I read this - that feeling of "NOW WHAT? Now that I have my wine, now what do I do?" It made me realize that it's a dead end street.

I texted a friend of mine from college yesterday to see if he was going to this alumni event at the end of Feb. I don't think I can make it but wanted to see if he was going . He said yes, and "You're off of Facebook again?" I said, "Yep." Unapologetically and with no commentary. It felt good. See, I keep in touch with the people I want to keep in touch with - Facebook is not needed for that. He asked me if I wanted to have lunch with him in DC soon. I said, "Not right now - things are too busy. Maybe in a few weeks." I'm glad I'm aware of my schedule and able say no if I can't fit things in, I can't fit most things in right now.

My ex contacted me again as well and it annoyed me. He keeps trying the same tricks and tactics and they ain't working this time. As long as I stay away from alcohol, I can stay strong with saying no to him. The minute I start drinking it's like a new person takes over my body and I start wanting things I don't want when sober. This is like the #1 reason for me to not drink right now.

Have a wonderful Tuesday, all. Stay positive
Old 01-26-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Midton, that's an insane amount of snow! I guess it's normal for you, but wow! I've never lived anywhere that gets a lot of snow, so I don't think I would handle it as well as you are.
Sorry to hear about your cold, Winslow : ( I hope you can kick it quickly!!
Juno, that's so true about having that first glass of wine and then being like now what? My now what was to keep drinking until I crashed, but the feeling of having that first drink after thinking about it all day then wanting to do something but not feeling like doing anything was depressing. It was like if I could make it til the time I could start drinking then I'd be ok, but then it was a let down. It didn't magically make everything better. I definitely know that feeling.
It's been a good, busy day. After work and picking up my kiddo, I got home and had a good run. I made dinner, fed the pets, cleaned up the kitchen, and made it to my 7:30 meeting. On my way to the meeting I was like wow, did I really just get all of that done?! Yes I did! I have not been this productive in years. It's really exciting!
Old 01-26-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Juno,

Luckily where I am the snow doesn't freeze so it can melt pretty quickly from the important places like roads and around houses. Snowmen here either get covered in new snow or melt quickly, they have a short life expectancy. This area gets this every year though so they deal with it pretty well.

Digressing to drinking. I haven't even thought about it recently. The weather and work has left me busy and exhausted. I never did drink as much at this time of year and there are no events to tempt me, everybody just hunkers down and tries to get through the winter, or at least I do.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hey all,most days I don't think of drinking at all but being a chronic relapser i'm always worried about that other shoe dropping, anyone else have that? I won't self sabotage myself again by thinking bad thoughts, its just a fear ya know? Time to pull out my RR book for a tune up,I think a lot of it recently is cuz I'm sick and being sick makes me feel hungover and I would always remedy that by drinking again,yuck! Hello to all,I hope we all have a nice Wednesday😊
Old 01-27-2016, 09:41 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Winslow, I know what you mean. Being sick in sobriety has been hard for me too. Before when I was sick, I still drank so I would have a brief, temporary reprieve from thinking about feeling bad. Now I have to wait out being sick, no quick fix, nothing to instantly make me feel better. I'm getting better at it now, but it's been a learning process for me to have the patience to know it will pass and I will eventually feel better.
Regarding being a chronic relapse and wondering if it will happen again, I really struggled with that last week (probably not a coincidence that I was sick during that time too). I kept thinking I don't want to drink today, but sometime in the future I'm surely going to drink again. The deal I made with myself is if I could find a good enough reason to give up everything I've gained in sobriety, then I could drink. I really thought about all the good things that have happened since I've gotten sober and how those things are much more important than a temporary buzz that would leave me feeling bad a lot longer than I felt good. I mentioned it in a post last week, but I also thought long and hard about how me drinking would also be me saying I want all the bad stuff that goes along with it. I can't separate the good from the bad when it comes to drinking. It's always a package deal. So if I drank I would say I also want to wake up with a pounding headache, gagging, shaking, possibly with blood coming from my ass again to feel guilty, shirk responsibilities, crave another drink again all day, and worry about when I'm going to stop again. I would never say I want that! But if I drink I have to accept everything that goes along with it.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Hey all,great post Grizz😊 I just want this sickness to go away! I have a hard time getting my exercise in, which I feel is critical to my sobriety, I'm not even sure if I should even be pushing myself to work out like I've been,I figured I'd sweat it out of me but maybe I should be taking it easy,I also can't think straight cuz my brain is all muddled,grrrrr,my anxiety is increased when I'm sick too,that doesn't help,enough about me how's everyone else? Do you guys follow any other threads? SR is so big its hard to figure out where to post,I've posted on a few threads but they're not very active, I hope we all have an easy day,take care everyone😊
Old 01-28-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Hey everyone - checking in on a Thursday. Yesterday was a challenging day overall. Just lots of uncertainty re: the snow and schedules and I haven't been to the yoga studio in several days so getting crabby. I feel your pain, Winslow, though thankfully no cold or virus! Feel better and hang in there - I would take it easy with the exercise while you're sick and allow your body to heal. The workouts will be there for you when you're better.

Yes, great post Grizzly. You seem to see alcohol for exactly what it was and not what you wish it would be. Too often I see things - either drinking or certain people, etc. - for what I WISH they would be, not what they truly are. I'm working on that and making huge progress now. The truth is, some relationships are just bad. Some people are just bad for you. And some substances (alcohol) are just not good for you.

I am a chronic relapser myself, but what helps me right now is to keep the thoughts simple. Rather than thinking of ALL the reasons why alcohol is bad for me (and there are many) I try to focus on 1 or 2 that are really motivating for me.

One that always motivates me is fear of a hangover. Frankly, the last few have been so bad that I'm scared to drink again. Also, I'm still paying the price for contacting my ex on Dec. 22 while drinking. That was a HUGE mistake. I want nothing to do with him anymore and he won't leave me alone now. Drunk Juno can be awfully stupid. Sober Juno has her head on straight That motivates me as much as anything.

I did get on the treadmill this morning so feeling slightly less cranky. Have to take my son to the orthodontist soon then planning to work from home a bit. Tonight, the dreaded grocery shopping.

My bathroom is coming along but it's such a slow process. It will be two weeks tomorrow that work has been going on. I'm getting aggravated because my house is a mess and I'm losing patience with this neighbor who is doing the work. Having to see him every day for two weeks is too much for me. He's fine in small doses, but this is way too much contact/interaction for me. Please hurry up and finish, so I can get my life and my house back! Come on February. It's going to be a better month!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

p.s. I read other threads but don't tend to post unless I have something helpful to contribute. Those with much more sobriety tend to have the right things to say to others - so I just read and absorb. I did post on a thread about Campral recently since I have direct and current experience with it.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

I used to post in thread about healthy eating, fitness and threads where I can give some information maybe about my home country or where I live. I was also quite active in the word game threads but this is the only place I post now. I don't even skim the new post section. Should this thread die I'll probably quit posting only to come back with my tail between my legs.

I frequently drank when I was sick. Indeed even when I was a wee boy I would get a "hot toddy" of hot water and whisky. A sore throat and I always convinced myself that alcohol would help.

I've had a terrible, stressful week. My worst week in many years and I'm not exaggerating. And it could get worse before it gets better. Sigh.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Midton, I'm sorry to hear about your rough week : ( I hope it gets better soon!!
Winslow, I agree on taking it easy on the exercise right now. I think your body needs rest more than exercise then when you're feeling up it, you can get back at it. I read other threads and occasionally post, but not ususally.
Stressful week for you, Juno! But you're handling it all sober, and that's awesome!!
I was sad today. I watched an episode of Criminal Minds last night, and they were talking about dementia, and all of a sudden I started fretting about my mom really bad. She repeats herself a lot, and she'll tell me "I'm losing it," but I chalked it up to her drinking daily and smoking pot for 40 years. But the episode last night got me thinking she might have early stage dementia. I woke up thinking about it, and when I was looking at houses today I was thinking I've got to have room for my mom. I was thinking she can move here and work for me. Does she like bingo? Will she have any friends? I was taking it way too far before I even know what the deal is. I got upset tonight, but I calmed down and was like ok, quit worrying about things that have not and may not even happen. Ugh. I sure can get carried away in my head sometimes. It's good I got out of there because I was making myself so sad. I am going to talk to her this weekend and go from there.
I hope everyone has a nice Friday! Sounds like it's been a rough week for us, but we're doin' it sober!! Yay us : )
Old 01-28-2016, 09:44 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Griz,

And it really is easier to do it sober. One less thing to worry about and far better coping faculties. I dread to think how low I'd be if I'd been drinking.

In saying that there have been a few times when I felt really, really low ( one was getting audited) and I remember going to a bbq and refusing drink, consciously aware that it would make me lower. Like in the movies when someone reaches for a drink after something bad has happened I've always been the opposite with drinking the last thing on my mind at bad times. There is something deep inside me that is well aware of the dangers that alcohol can bring to me. Maybe that's why I searched for and found this site and then kept coming back.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:47 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Harping on a little more.

Recently when I refuse alcohol and am asked why (most people who know me think I'm on a health kick) I say that drinking makes me blue. I have, so far, never had this answer questioned. The person asking has always totally accepted it and moved on.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Good morning - I'm so glad it's Friday. Yes a tough week for a lot of us.

I'm going to attempt to go into the office today. The roads are fine (at least the main ones) but the side roads are still bad in places, so no school again today. I'm having my Mom come watch the kids so I can get into work.

My older son is getting braces! My ex has agreed to pay for them. I'm lucky. I'll be the one who takes him to all his appointments - that's my role. My ex is nice to care so much about the kids. My son has high functioning autism so this will be a challenge for him. So far, he's doing great and is so grown up about this. The staff there are so nice and warm and caring and he feels well cared for. The top braces will go on March 10th and the bottom braces will go on April 14th. Life will get a little busier. My younger son will be evaluated for braces this summer. He will be 13 in June. It's likely he'll need them, too. 3 for 3 in this family!

My boys and I will see Kung Fu Panda 3 tonight. Excited. My daughter may or may not join us. I never buy tickets for her ahead of time since she's a wild card. She can probably join us last minute if she wants. She's busy with her boyfriend a lot.

No cravings this week even though it's a tough week. I feel good and strong. Glad everyone else is hanging in, too. Midton, I hope things have improved with your week. It's so true that drinking makes everything harder. Have a great Friday, all!
Old 01-29-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hey all,that's funny Midton about the hot toddy as a child,well not funny but I can relate cuz I used to get really bad cramps and when I was 12 my dad fixed me a jack and coke to"help" omg I took a gulp felt like puking and didn't even make it to the bathroom!puked on the floor and my mom made him clean it up,that's what he gets haha,Juno,hope your kids like the movie,is your daughter feeling better? I know she was being kinda moody a couple weeks ago,how old are the kids? I had to take my daughter very early this morning to get pain relief shots in her lower back,far drive,long wait,think I'll just be a bum today,hope everyone enjoys their day😊
Old 01-29-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hi all, checking in real quick before I totally crash. I got my kiddo home and settled and made it to my 5:30 meeting. I picked up sonic for dinner and rented some movies. I'm about to put a movie on, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to make it long before I fall asleep. I need some rest- I was driving around with my boss for half the day, and he's still sick then I got to the office, and a girl running a 102 degree fever is passing me over her files. Ugh!!!!
Old 01-30-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Winslow, my daughter is 17 and my boys are 14 and 12. My daughter has had a lot of issues and has been a handful the past few years. I can't tell you exactly what it is but it's some sort of mental/psychological condition related to anxiety, depression and lack of motivation to do her school work. Quite honestly, I'm worried that she's not going to make it through high school. She is so smart and had so much potential, so this saddens me. Still, I try to remain optimistic and take it one day at a time. I guess we don't know what the future holds for any of us, so I have to keep positive.

My boys and I saw Kung Fu Panda 3 last night. It was cute and fun. We had a good time.

I had a rough day yesterday. Was good to get into the office for the first time all week and get some stuff taken care of. But the commute home was horrible. Traffic was a snarled mess and it took me a long time to get home. When I finally made it, I had a very strong craving for a cold glass of white wine. Fortunately, since I don't keep any wine or alcohol in the house, I was able to go about my business and make dinner and just let the craving slide away. I think if I had had a bottle of wine in my fridge, I would have poured a glass. Just goes to show how powerful it is not to have any alcohol in the house.

Another source of frustration is this contractor/neighbor. I think he feels he has to suddenly act like a jerk near the end of a project. The last time he did a project for me (my powder room) he finished it all except a baseboard over the doorway. So in my mind it wasn't really done. I kept bugging him to come over and finish the job (I had already paid him everything and just trusted that he would do this) and he kept putting it off - it was one thing after another. Finally I got so mad at him and told him it had to be done by.... (a deadline). He did it and was pissed at me for getting so angry. We didn't talk for weeks and then finally made up. I hired him again for this job thinking it would be better. It has been going fairly well until yesterday when he told me that he wasn't going to install a shower door for me unless I paid him extra money for that. I said, "WHAT??? You never told me that." And he said, "Yes I did... blah blah blah" and the more he started bumbling over his words the more he realized he never did tell me that. I was furious. My attitude was, "Fine. I'll hire someone else to install a shower door. And I'll use that person for future jobs." Jerk. I've had about enough of him at this point.

Okay, off to yoga to work out some of this stress.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Ugh, Juno, that sounds terribly frustrating!! Great job making it through a week like that and not drinking!!! Enjoy your yoga : )
Old 01-30-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Thanks, Grizzly.

I decided to let go of the anger I was feeling about my neighbor and him not wanting to put up a shower door. In reality he should have explained it a little better, but it's going to be okay. I'll look around for a really nice shower door, maybe pay a little more, but have them professionally install it - wherever I buy it. It'll be great in the end and there's no use staying angry about stuff like this!

After yoga today I went to an organic food store and got a few things for myself (and treats for my dog). They actually sell beer and wine there, but it never even occurred to me to look in that section, which is cool - it shows where my mind was at (not on drinking). Then I got home and it was around 12:30 pm and I suddenly had a craving for organic wine. It was a pretty strong craving and I usually don't have cravings so early in the day so it caught me off guard. I convinced myself that it *might* be okay to have some wine around happy hour time tonight (5:00 ish) since it was the next to last day in January and my sobriety date could still be in January. I have a thing about only certain months are good for sobriety dates. It has to be a month in which neither I nor any close family member has a birthday. So the only good months are really: January, April, May, September, October and November for me. So I was saying to myself it's now or never - I can't have a sobriety date in February so this is the last possible day I could have wine.

Then I took my son to his appointment and while there, I journalled quite a bit about all of this. I actually wrote in my journal that my sobriety date was either going to be Jan. 13 or Jan. 31, and I was hoping that it would be Jan. 13. There were a lot of reasons why I was hoping it was Jan. 13, not the least of which is that I have to get up early tomorrow to get some work hours in and it would SUCK with a hangover or any bad sleep night.

I also had some lunch and homemade chocolate chip cookies that my daughter made last night - they were amazing! By the time 5:00 came around, the wine craving was gone and it wasn't even an issue. So I did not drink wine. And February is looming so I've got to stick with this

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. I'm hanging in and will be a lot happier when my bathroom is done and I get peace and privacy back!
Old 01-30-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's best to get another guy Juno - neighbours and contractors rarely mix

D
Old 01-30-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Good advice, Dee. The good news is that within a few days this project should be done and everything can go back to normal and we can be neighbors who just wave hello and spend 5 minutes saying hi to each other. It's better that way!!