Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 6

Old 12-11-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

half-marathon is sunday. yes i'm walking a good chunk of it but i'm on-target. got the packet today. and it'll be day 29 what better way to mark that day . . .
Old 12-11-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Friday night and checking in. My wife's gone to a friends to 'enjoy a glass of wine'...ouch, that hurts. I told her to enjoy and take all of the wine in the house with her, not because I'm tempted to drink it alone, just that I'm tired of looking at it, especially on a melancholy Friday night at home during the festive season. It just depresses me to see alcohol and be reminded that I can't have it anymore, never under any circumstances. Such permanency to those thoughts but I know it's the only path to survive and hopefully true happiness....

Stay strong through the weekend folks. Know that you are not alone, even if you feel that way. There's lots of us out there, fighting the same battle, anxiety, shame, depression, remorse, sadness. The sober ones tell us it gets better so we'd better just tough it out and trust them...
Old 12-11-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pams View Post
Fabat - I think I am in agreement with Dee as well. And SwimKim. My first thought was whether your daughter would have cared one way or the other if there was wine? KIR - I know how you feel. And sometimes it sucks. I don't get why anyone would only want one glass of wine??? So....that means none for me. Ever. Kiki - Prayers for Kenny! Kenny is very lucky to have you and your daughter in his life to help him through such a terrible time. *hugs* TGIF!!
Thank you pams. It's so sad. Children's Services will most likely remove all the children & they will all continue to suffer the consequences of her drug & alcohol use. :-( We were at the hospital with him again today. Just checking in for the first time since this morning. I'm exhausted.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Good morning class. I’ve been quiet lately, not feeling so well. I think a contributing factor is hypoglycemia, though I haven’t had it diagnosed yet by the doctor. My husband is borderline diabetic and has the test strips. A couple of days ago, after eating a big plate of spaghetti, I had him test my blood sugar and it read 98, which is very low for having had eaten a meal, especially one so high in carbs. So, I’m working diligently to clean up my diet and will schedule an appointment for a physical early next year. I want to get in some sober time so that my body has time to repair itself before having the blood tests done. Another good reason to tell the AV to shut up, hypoglycemia is not uncommon in alcoholics, that and vitamin deficiencies. I crossed the line of social drinking many years (decades?) ago, one or two drinks out were followed by a bottle of wine or 5-6 beers once I got home. Three weeks free tomorrow!
Hang in the Odelle! You are doing great!
Old 12-11-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, nearing the end of day 26. Been really busy lately and soooo tired. I haven't gotten to log on here as much as I would like. I just feel like I can never catch up on everything I need to do.

I read everyone's posts from the day & it sounds like everyone is doing well with the exception of some "euphoric recall" and "whispering AV's" telling you life will suck without alcohol. (Huge lie!)

Here are my thoughts: If we drink there will be no life to "suck" because the alcohol will kill us. For example, there is a young girl (late 20's) in my AA meeting who also thought she was missing the "fun" so she started drinking again and now she's on the liver transplant list. She just woke up one day and was bright yellow. She may not live. :-(

My husbands aunt and a neighbor lady died from liver failure last year and they were young too. Everyone says "livers are very resilient and heal". BUT at some point alcoholics cross an invisible line and the liver just stops working. (Not to mention the many other horrible health problems caused by it).

Sooooo....you could drink tonight and have "fun" and walk into the bathroom tomorrow morning to brush your teeth, look in the mirror and see a yellow face! The whites of your eyes could be yellow too. You drank one too many drinks. Your liver was hanging on by a thread and that last drink just made it shut down.

You go to the doctor and he tells you you need a year of sobriety to get placed on the liver transplant list. BUT...you can't live that long without a new liver & you need it now! It's a death sentence.

You go home and realize that you are dying. There will be no more drinks, no more pubs, no more "fun", no more breaths, no more life. It's over. You've gone too far. Your body gave up.

This exact story happened to my husbands aunt, our neighbor and the girl from the AA meeting on the transplant list. Even if they give her a new liver...she still may not live. :-(

After reading that did your AV shut up? I hope so! Mine sure as heck did! My AV whispers too! It tells me all that same things yours does. The farther away we get from our last drink the closer we are to the next because alcoholics have extremely quick forgetters! Don't forget guys! Don't die! I want to live and I want all of you to live too. Love you guys! :-)
Old 12-11-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Ouch!!!

http://youtu.be/HumRVVLB1Qo
Old 12-11-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Double ouch!

http://youtu.be/2Hu9YnPkdLQ
Old 12-11-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

What a hellish way to live!

http://youtu.be/y7dxNlqvsV4
Old 12-11-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

So my post about those 3 people with liver failure & 3 short YouTube videos were my attempt to shut everyone's AV up...including mine!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Dang. Reality check

Hard to romanticize that
Old 12-11-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Kiki, thank you for the reality check. My AV likes to tell me "that would never happen to you..." but it COULD! And I just love my life too much to want to risk that.

There was some discussion earlier today on the thread about missing the "excitement" or "high" that alcohol produced. Well, I had an amazing natural high tonight. Those who are runners or athletes (good luck tomorrow, TryinginTexas!) know of the "runners' high." I got it tonight! I normally run on the treadmill for about 30 minutes before my leg starts hurting or I just can't go on any longer. Tonight I ran for an hour. I felt like I could run forever. It felt incredible.

I know not everyone is a runner, but there ARE natural highs out there. Like the feeling when you go for a hike and reach the summit, or are in the ocean playing in the waves - there's euphoria there. I guess what I'm saying is hang in there everyone, because life is full of highs that we weren't able to experience while drinking.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SwimKim12 View Post
Kiki, thank you for the reality check. My AV likes to tell me "that would never happen to you..." but it COULD! And I just love my life too much to want to risk that. There was some discussion earlier today on the thread about missing the "excitement" or "high" that alcohol produced. Well, I had an amazing natural high tonight. Those who are runners or athletes (good luck tomorrow, TryinginTexas!) know of the "runners' high." I got it tonight! I normally run on the treadmill for about 30 minutes before my leg starts hurting or I just can't go on any longer. Tonight I ran for an hour. I felt like I could run forever. It felt incredible. I know not everyone is a runner, but there ARE natural highs out there. Like the feeling when you go for a hike and reach the summit, or are in the ocean playing in the waves - there's euphoria there. I guess what I'm saying is hang in there everyone, because life is full of highs that we weren't able to experience while drinking.
That's amazing! I get a "natural high" from snow skiing, roller blading, hiking, exercise, kick boxing, mountain biking etc. love it!!!
Old 12-11-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Hello everyone and congrad's to everyone on day 14. I am feeling happy , all is well.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:15 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

I haven't posted for a few days so I am here to say hello.

Day 14 today and I feel like I am starting to get my life back. The week at work seemed to be the easiest in a LONG time, a clear head certainly makes a difference.

I hope you are all doing OK.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:18 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Paul

D
Old 12-12-2015, 12:27 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. Finding a couple of new friends who don't drink has certainly been helping recently. I didn't even look for new people to hang around with, it's like non drinkers gravitate together, maybe I was just very lucky :-)
Old 12-12-2015, 12:37 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found that too Paul - luck or not, it's great when that happens

D
Old 12-12-2015, 01:07 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Hey guys, nice to see many are doing well!

I've been struggling, I don't know what I am doing wrong. I seem to slip away from SR as soon as I start to consider drinking again. I really don't want to. I feel so much better when I don't.

Just a quick check-in. I will try to strick closer here.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:09 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dallow View Post
Hey guys, nice to see many are doing well!

I've been struggling, I don't know what I am doing wrong. I seem to slip away from SR as soon as I start to consider drinking again. I really don't want to. I feel so much better when I don't.

Just a quick check-in. I will try to strick closer here.
For me it works to subscribe to the latest thread (this one) and have instant email notifications for each new post. It reminds me that I have to stay here to make it easier. It also reminds me to check in every once in a while
Old 12-12-2015, 02:28 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal View Post

Enfin is will get better and hopefully you'll once again find joy in your life. How are things with hubby? Is he talking to you after that episode? Does he want to make things better?
My husband is talking to me again. .. it's a bit odd at time but it's ok.... I think I just have to learn it's not going to be what I hope for overall, but he is a lovely man and works hard for our family.... so I have to look at the positives, and there are many!
Got to get used to not drinking too... not having that blast. ... it will take a while I guess. ...xx