Notices

Class of July 2013 Part 26

Old 12-09-2015, 12:45 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Yikes ! Point taken Deester

image.jpg
Old 12-09-2015, 01:07 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Thanks for your lovely long post, Snooz.

One thing that was really hard for me to let go of - or deal with, is that drinking perhaps for me represented freedom. Maybe clinging to that youthfulness....feeling carefree. It's complicated.

Maybe having kids so young, once I did develop a liking to drinking when they were older, having to stop reminded me of feeling restrained, missing out on life, not having as much fun as everyone else. All the very same feelings I had when I was "stuck" at home with little kids.

The past few years since I've been on SR....that has been a sticking point for me. How can I feel free and youthful and great without alcohol?

Then why had I drank in the first place, how did it all become complex and complicated?

All of it. It's huge.

If this was easy, or there was one formula for success, we'd all do it. But there's not.

One thing I can guarantee, there is no get out of jail free card. Every single layer of who you are has to be peeled back. And like Wehav, I finally accepted there's no magical moment, where you think "oh, I get this!"....it's gradual. And it can disappear in an instant (as you know), if we don't pay attention to it.

This thing can and will kill us. Logically you know this. Showing up for ourselves is a daily event. There's no set and forget solution. Just like I need glasses to read every single day of my life, so too, I have to use my sobriety tools every day.

Accepting that who I was in the past, or those carefree feelings I craved were the same as me wishing I never had to wear glasses again. They are wishes that can never, ever be fulfilled. Ever.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Amen Crois , thank you darling one

I always felt having had my son at 17 was never an issue. I had great family backup I never once thought I missed out. I really enjoyed being a young Mum.

I hated alcohol I would never join in.

Your post was remarkable as always and pertains heavily to me at this point in time. I have read and re read so many of these posts today with all of your advice.

I feel I am very lucky to have been chosen for this group xx
Old 12-09-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Yes, Snoozy, I enjoyed having kids too. I didnt drink until I was 30.....Drinking then made me not enjoy my kids fully and like it was a burden at times in some way. It changed my perspective.

Maybe my story is different in there was a pivotal event where I started drinking specifically. I can identify it. Maybe it's harder for others to see....or it's different. Some feel they were born with it. Either way, I'm saying that being told, or knowing I had to stop, made me feel suffocated, like I was missing out.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:22 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Very true Crois , wow ...we are quite similar
Old 12-09-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Holy crapola Ive put on 3 kilos in that week. !
Old 12-09-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Julyers
Old 12-09-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Good day all, i hope you are all well. I completely agree with your post crois. Snoozy, i hope you are feeling better, glad you have been to the docs.

I hope this will cheer you up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wROj...ature=youtu.be

I promise that the glass you see me drink from is just water!
Old 12-09-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Peteeeeee

Absolutely beautiful. Made me cry such happy tears. Great song . Lovely family .

You radiate goodness , kindness and such joy . You wife is beautiful.

That is THE BEST. Thing I've seen in such a long time. I feel I know you that little bit better now.

Congratulations Mr & Mrs Crabtree , from ALL of us here.

You truly are a top bloke matey xxxxxx
Old 12-09-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Thankyou snoozy, you all have a part to play in my recovery and help getting me back to the man i was!
Old 12-09-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Glad you got some meds SnoozyQ. I am realizing i ran away alot with the booze to the same problems. They dont go away but just get put off. What a crappy cycle. Both ways sober and drinking. Either feelings or numbness and sickness. But normal people dealing feelings so i am going to try also.

Great video Pete. What soccer team is that?

Have a great day/night!
Old 12-09-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Its Manchester City, the clip is from when we won the league back in 2012, i was there, but unfortunately was one of those occassions that should be special to remember and I barely do, as I had too much. Certainly a regret!
Old 12-09-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Oh, Pete, what a beautiful video! It brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for sharing with us.
Croissant, excellent posts as usual!
Snoozy, I'm sorry you're feeling so ill. Rest up, take care, and I hope you can set up some things with the addictions service when you feel better.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Petecrab View Post
Good day all, i hope you are all well. I completely agree with your post crois. Snoozy, i hope you are feeling better, glad you have been to the docs.

I hope this will cheer you up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wROj...ature=youtu.be

I promise that the glass you see me drink from is just water!
Pete, what a fabulous video and what a simply lovely couple.

Thanks so much for sharing your most special day with us.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post

One thing that was really hard for me to let go of - or deal with, is that drinking perhaps for me represented freedom. Maybe clinging to that youthfulness....feeling carefree. It's complicated.

Maybe having kids so young, once I did develop a liking to drinking when they were older, having to stop reminded me of feeling restrained, missing out on life, not having as much fun as everyone else. All the very same feelings I had when I was "stuck" at home with little kids.

The past few years since I've been on SR....that has been a sticking point for me. How can I feel free and youthful and great without alcohol?

Then why had I drank in the first place, how did it all become complex and complicated?

All of it. It's huge.

If this was easy, or there was one formula for success, we'd all do it. But there's not.

One thing I can guarantee, there is no get out of jail free card. Every single layer of who you are has to be peeled back. And like Wehav, I finally accepted there's no magical moment, where you think "oh, I get this!"....it's gradual. And it can disappear in an instant (as you know), if we don't pay attention to it.

This thing can and will kill us. Logically you know this. Showing up for ourselves is a daily event. There's no set and forget solution. Just like I need glasses to read every single day of my life, so too, I have to use my sobriety tools every day.

Accepting that who I was in the past, or those carefree feelings I craved were the same as me wishing I never had to wear glasses again. They are wishes that can never, ever be fulfilled. Ever.
Fabulous post, Crois.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post

All of it. It's huge.

Fabulous post, Crois.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Venus, wow, that's terrible! A concussion and a hairline fracture! I can't believe it! How long did it take before you felt better after all this?
I'm fine, thanks for all the good wishes, everyone. My psychiatrist is adding a second antidepressant which he hopes will bump up my blood pressure. I get it today and begin it tonight. The risk is that I may get side effects and if I get chest pain, I'm to go to the ER! I'm to measure my BP before and after the new drug and let my doctor know tomorrow. It all seems complicated!
I watched the Downton Abbey preview which I had pvr'd, last night. I'm looking forward to series 6 which begins in January.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
Venus, wow, that's terrible! A concussion and a hairline fracture! I can't believe it! How long did it take before you felt better after all this?
I'm fine, thanks for all the good wishes, everyone. My psychiatrist is adding a second antidepressant which he hopes will bump up my blood pressure. I get it today and begin it tonight. The risk is that I may get side effects and if I get chest pain, I'm to go to the ER! I'm to measure my BP before and after the new drug and let my doctor know tomorrow. It all seems complicated!
I watched the Downton Abbey preview which I had pvr'd, last night. I'm looking forward to series 6 which begins in January.
I hope the new med goes well, Leshar. Please take good care of our dear Leshar.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Snooz, feel better soon and don't push yourself to work; you need to heal.

Work on pushing your new plan into gear, instead.

Sending love.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Thanks, Leigh!