Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 5

Old 12-05-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

End of day 8 . Stopped at a local bar before heading to the super market....... (Wait for it.....)
Ordered a iced tea and some wings , finished my meal, paid my tab and left to run my errands.
Maybe not a huge deal just proving to myself i dont need to drink to enjoy buffalo wings and football on the big screen. Anyway ill chalk it up for a win.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tatersalad View Post
End of day 8 . Stopped at a local bar before heading to the super market....... (Wait for it.....) Ordered a iced tea and some wings , finished my meal, paid my tab and left to run my errands. Maybe not a huge deal just proving to myself i dont need to drink to enjoy buffalo wings and football on the big screen. Anyway ill chalk it up for a win.
sounds awesome too me!! Buffalo wings taste just as good with an iced tea or a Coke!! Well done. I think I will try the same soon.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand completely about buffalo wings, but I urge caution going back into bars.

I went back too soon many a time...did well for a first visit, sometimes a second or a third, but caved almost immediately the next time.

I understand we're all different, but bars exist to sell booze.

I think there are safer places to hang out, at least until you feel you're rock solid in recovery

D
Old 12-05-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
Day 13, marathon done, exhausted and not leaving the couch for 24hrs. Happy to be alcohol-free and not numbing myself with beer and wine which would be so easy and somewhat 'deserved' after a 26.2 mile run. Anyways, that's not going to happen. Just relaxing, gorging on junk food and taking it easy. Thought about the sober life during the run and I seem to be accepting it. Long ways to go before it becomes second nature but will press on. Life goes on and is arguably much better when sober and not hungover...at least for me!

Enjoy your sober Saturday everyone?dc4d
Well done SM!
Old 12-05-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Well. I just dropped my husband off at the work Christmas party I have been fretting about for almost 3 weeks. He was clearly disappointed that I really wasnt going, which makes me feel a little guilty, but it's all ok. He is going to tell people that I put my back out, which is the most believable fib since everyone knows I have back issues.

I am not sad about the party. I have cared less about the party for years and it's actually kind of nice I am not down at the pub making a point of getting smashed so I can pretend that the party is a good time. I am at home, with my pets, binge watching Grey's Anatomy.

AND most of all....I will have 21 days sober tomorrow. This is HUGE for me. My Day 20, that I wanted SO badly is in the bag. Before I know it I will have 30 days.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
Day 13, marathon done, exhausted and not leaving the couch for 24hrs. Happy to be alcohol-free and not numbing myself with beer and wine which would be so easy and somewhat 'deserved' after a 26.2 mile run. Anyways, that's not going to happen. Just relaxing, gorging on junk food and taking it easy. Thought about the sober life during the run and I seem to be accepting it. Long ways to go before it becomes second nature but will press on. Life goes on and is arguably much better when sober and not hungover...at least for me!

Enjoy your sober Saturday everyone👍
y

Great Job Sober...both on the marathon and staying sober! Huge accomplishment!
Old 12-05-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pams View Post
Well. I just dropped my husband off at the work Christmas party I have been fretting about for almost 3 weeks. He was clearly disappointed that I really wasnt going, which makes me feel a little guilty, but it's all ok. He is going to tell people that I put my back out, which is the most believable fib since everyone knows I have back issues.

I am not sad about the party. I have cared less about the party for years and it's actually kind of nice I am not down at the pub making a point of getting smashed so I can pretend that the party is a good time. I am at home, with my pets, binge watching Grey's Anatomy.

AND most of all....I will have 21 days sober tomorrow. This is HUGE for me. My Day 20, that I wanted SO badly is in the bag. Before I know it I will have 30 days.
Good for you pams! I wouldn't feel guilty though, staying home enjoying the company of your pets is the best thing you can do for your recovery.

I only plan on going to the children's parties and concert this year. And I'm ok with that
Old 12-05-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Hi all. Well today was such a pissant of a day I can't believe it. I was having serious anxiety attack a few hours before I had to go to a party (my first) and I told my husband. He of course wanted to "fix" it for me by "making a big deal to everybody that I'm the DD." I over reacted and went crazy because I just don't want to be made a spectical of. I just want to drink my sparkling water in my wine glass and say no thank you if anybody asked if I wanted a drink (knowing these hostesses are huge alcohol pushers!). Anyway, we got into a huge fight before going. How can a husband and wife communicate so poorly? I was so defeated I just seriously wanted to kill myself because I can't take this trying to stay sober and our constant bickering. He was angry because he feels he's walking on eggshells. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should move out for awhile until I find some sort of sane middle ground. He doesn't respond well to that at all.
Anyway, we went to the party. (The hubbies leave for lunch while the ladies drink wine and do a Christmas exchange). My one friend who I told I wasn't going to drink said, " what are you doing"? when I grabbed a wine glass. I said, "I'm drinking water." She's all "you better be." I was so annoyed because I had already told her I don't want this to be a big deal, just business as usual. I know she was just trying to be supportive so why am I so angry at people who are just trying to help? Has anybody else over-reacted like this?
Anyway, none of the ladies even noticed I wasn't drinking (or didn't say anything). When the men got back the host tried to push alcohol on me 4 times and I could tell he was annoyed, but that's his problem. Day 27-28 with first holiday party complete and it wasn't hard not to drink despite the pushers!
Sorry for the huge post. Tough day!!! I have never felt so defeated while doing such a positive thing.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Worked at the pub then went to a friends house for a grand total of 10 hours being around people f*n drinking ... My nerves are shot and am in a rotten mood... Trying to take it all in stride, but feeling some serious punch a hole in the wall kinda stuff .
Home now and riding it out ..
2nd time this week that it's gotten to this point, but I know it will pass
It'll pass and this will all be worth it
Repeats
Old 12-05-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Keepn - yeah I got annoyed at well meaning people too.

From this distance I look back and see they were looking out for me and trying to help...and to be honest my track record back then was not so good...so I understand it better now.

Try and see the good in it. Nothing wrong though with explaining to people calmly that this is your battle, not theirs.

As far as moving out goes - your call, but me personally? I'd try and avoid any big changes right now. I was a million different people over my first 90 days - things will settle down, I promise

D
Old 12-05-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supertired View Post
Worked at the pub then went to a friends house for a grand total of 10 hours being around people f*n drinking ... My nerves are shot and am in a rotten mood... Trying to take it all in stride, but feeling some serious punch a hole in the wall kinda stuff .
Home now and riding it out ..
2nd time this week that it's gotten to this point, but I know it will pass
It'll pass and this will all be worth it
Repeats
Sounds like a tough day for you too! I'm so sorry. Hang tough.

Dee-thank you for your words of wisdom! I know making moves at this point is probably a mistake. I know I'm overreacting to everything. I can't wait until the holidays are over.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Dee has great words of wisdom
Old 12-05-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Hi, All! Lots going on today...congrats to those who made it through the cravings or otherwise had a good sober day! To those struggling, things will get better. Posting here will help!

I had a good day. Went to the gym and then to my boss' wife's baby shower. A few people had drinks but the majority were not drinking. I'm glad I didn't even have to navigate that (well...if I have two drinks then I can probably drive home but once I finish that second drink I will most likely have a third to "keep the buzz going". Then will be on the freeway realizing that I shouldn't be driving). I do not miss that!!! Instead I didn't drink and was safe and was able to be fully in the moment.

Going to eat something and then maybe watch a movie. And wake up hangover-free tomorrow!
Old 12-05-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pams View Post

Awesome, Pams!!! I am so happy for you!! And early congratulations on three weeks sober! You are doing it!
Old 12-05-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Busy day. Walked 5 miles this morning (I'm sore!) 2 of my kids had basketball games, went shopping with my daughter and out to eat with my husband. (He annoys me! I think we need therapy! He annoyed me much less when I was drunk. :-0 Ha.)

Finally got home & just finished reading everyone's posts. It sounds like everyone is doing pretty well & fighting thru the ups & downs of early sobriety.

I agree with Fabat....the very beginning is the hardest. I haven't had a craving or desire to drink in 3 days! I'm feeling better & better everyday. It's not all rainbows and unicorns and I don't walk around whistling "zippity do dah" but it's 98% better than 3 weeks ago!

Anyway...keep pushing through!!!
Old 12-05-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
(He annoys me! I think we need therapy! He annoyed me much less when I was drunk. :-0 Ha.)
I find my husband much more difficult to be around now that I'm sober, or maybe I have less patience. I think I never really learned how to set boundaries with him, it was easier to have a drink instead.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Yeah, me too Patricia. We will need some serious therapy down the road but for now I'm just gonna work on ME. :-)

How was your day? You sound strong in your posts. :-)
Old 12-05-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Wow, lots of posts to catch up on. Great job everyone who made it through today. It was a quiet day and I didn't have motivation to do much, so I didn't. I'm going to turn in early tonight, thankful for wrapping up 2 weeks today. I couldn't have done it without the support of everyone here; thank you all and sweet dreams.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Yeah, me too Patricia. We will need some serious therapy down the road but for now I'm just gonna work on ME. :-)

How was your day? You sound strong in your posts. :-)
I had a rough morning with anxiety, but I'm feeling better now. And I didn't hear my AV at all today!
Old 12-05-2015, 09:25 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
I had a rough morning with anxiety, but I'm feeling better now. And I didn't hear my AV at all today!
Yesssss!!! It will get better & better each day too!!! You are a fighter!