Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 23

Old 12-13-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

^^^
Old 12-13-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Well, what kind of cookies are you making? Your quite the baker!
Old 12-13-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

I don't know that I've ever had cranberry bread. Suddenly I feel like I've been missing out!

The run was great, I love feeling the sun. I'm generally a one-run-a-week guy with about a five mile limit. Not a marathoner for sure.

As I've mentioned before I kind of follow along the successes of a particular set of SR folks and apply what I think fits me personally. Leigh, I've said before that you're one of this set. Anyway, about a year ago this guy I had been observing marked his year of sobriety with a hiking trip. I told myself that if I made it a year I'd do something along those lines. There are a few places in this world that I'm drawn to for some reason.

I started thinking about it all a couple of months ago and mentioned it to my wife while we were away at thanksgiving. I got what I considered to be a cool reception to it all and felt as though it somehow seemed 'silly' to her. I dropped it I thought, but have found myself getting a bit angry to tell you the truth. I don't golf, I don't go on hunting trips with the guys, I don't leave her to attend sporting events. I don't really do much except work and then my hobby of yard stuff.

So I have had a habit in the past of keeping things like this to myself until I get over it or on rare occasion 'blow up' about it. I thought about this on my run and I don't want to get over it. Since the little one happens to be at the neighbors I'm gonna take advantage of it and go have this needed conversation......before I'm angry.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

I hope it goes well, Mark; a hiking trip sounds great and a nice way to acknowledge your year of sobriety.

Fingers crossed for you.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

^^^ Ditto.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Good luck Mark. You could always do your trip alone, yes no? Might actually work out better since it's all about your journey moving forward anyhow. Just a thought.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Thanks y'all. I've lost my opportunity for now though. The little one and company are here now. Oh well. I feel better anyway by actually having aired my feelings out a bit.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

I hope there will be a few days that you can pave out for yourself Mark to do this.
You deserve it!!
Old 12-13-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
Good luck Mark. You could always do your trip alone, yes no? Might actually work out better since it's all about your journey moving forward anyhow. Just a thought.
Yep, that's my idea. A solo journey. She doesn't like things like getting too much out in the great outdoors....you know, dirty and stuff. I do. Her reaction made me feel as though she doesn't want me to do something like that.....why would anyone want to do 'that'. I would have thought that of all people the initial reaction would have been supportive. There was a good bit of joking at my expense over thanksgiving dinner about me going off to some fabulous place and just leaving them behind. I dunno, maybe I'm reading too much into it......too sensitive because I do feel a little guilt about considering it. I just feel like it's something I need to do. I offered a trip for her and the girls.....maybe a cruise. The little one is about to go out to eat with neighbors, so I'm gonna have another opportunity soon.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Got it Mark. Didn't get that from the initial post that it was in fact a solo trip you were desiring.

I think it's a great idea. Also shows you know your relationship well enough to not ask for her companionship. Think it's pretty generous of you to offer up a separate trip. Just don't get why some women have to be so sassy about it. You can taste the jealousy in her reaction. With all due respect my friend. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Well I was able to talk that through. I've got verbal support. I pointed out that sometimes folks will use humor to say what they really feel and then use the 'I was just kidding' line to hide behind. I think perhaps she's genuinely on board because she said she wants me to be able to enjoy the planning/anticipation and that she knows if I like it I'll take her some day. Feeling kind of 'over it' at the moment. We shall see.

So I've just wrapped up the evening with a long woodland walk. I really like the look of the thin sliver of moon peeking out between the low fast moving clouds we have this blustery night. Suites my mood.

Did you get much more cooking done Leigh? Still got cranberry bread on my mind! .....and how was the cheesecake Arbor?
Old 12-13-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I'm finished for today, mark. Cookies have all cooled and been placed in tins.

Breads tomorrow and Tuesday.

So happy to hear that your talk went well.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Beautiful description of the moon and night sky Mark.

And yes, it is wearing to have to explain ourselves sometimes, but worth it in the long run. That'a a pretty big score in my books, a decent conversation with a positive outcome. Just wait a day or so, and all of your excitement re the hiking trip will come back.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Glad you were able to have the talk Mark.

Cheesecake was very rich. Had a small sliver. It was cookie dough cheesecake. Not really my thing, but it was given to us so why not.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

And what a surprise to find Leigh and I posting at the same time....

And that would be WAY too rich for me as well Arbor.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
And what a surprise to find Leigh and I posting at the same time....

And that would be WAY too rich for me as well Arbor.
I know!!!! Too funny, v.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

One of my grandmothers always used lights on her tree like Arbor's nice avatar. I hadn't thought about that in years. It's nice to recall memories of helping her decorate her little tree with the fireplace crackling. I shall think of that as I fall to slumber. Good night gang.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Goodnight, Mark; sweet dreams.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

That's a great thought to go to sleep to Mark. Night.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Goodnight Mark, Arbor and Leigh (in advance ), and love to all of this beautiful group.

We miss you Briar...come and post, and we are thinking of you Mrs C with happy hearts.

(Although that makes no sense, but you know what I mean...).