Notices

One Year & Over Part 32

Old 11-28-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Ah, Itchy - that brings back all kinds of memories :-). The first computer I programmed was a 4K IBM 1440 with Autocoder as the language. I went through a series of other mainframes and then worked on the first iteration of the IBM PC. 1-5.25" floppy drive, and 16k if I remember correctly. First home computer was a TI 99/4a. Those were simpler days
Old 11-28-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post

were going out after tea hopefully we find some bargains with scotch beef again last week was incredible
Haha SW you gave me a laugh there because I thought you were going to say some kind of electronics deal. I like your priorities. No offence Itch.

I decided to give the job till my original end date: Feb 15, and just see how it goes. Chill out, basically.

You guys I have a radio show. I recorded the first one yesterday. It's a real and true dream come true. My own music show. It's just volunteer on a local community station but still.....really really stoked about it. Again, for the millionth time, one more thing I could/would not have pulled off while I was drinking. I could barely get it together to get this first show together with everything I have going on, slow internet connection etc., there just is no way if I had been drinking on top of it.

Last night I hung out with a new group of friends at the local Legion, playing pool and watching the locals do karaoke. I had an excellent time, laughing with these people I've been getting to know and appreciate slowly since I've moved here. In drinking days, I would have been cut out of the group by now for doing or saying stupid, inappropriate things, arguing, etc. It was really so fun, and they were drinking lots and it didn't even matter. It's been years I think, since I've enjoyed the company of a group so much. So, yay. That's kind of a big deal, I think?

That dude I'm dating wants to get serious and I'm not ready. It's okay though, he knows how I feel and I think he's okay with it. He says he is, anyway.

Last night I heard a definite 'thump' against the side of my house. Right under my bedroom window actually. This place offers all kinds of new surprises and challenges to my mental capacities.

It's Saturday you guys. I have nothing planned and I love it.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

IP, great news on the radio show! What type of music do you play? I'd love to hear it, if possible (internet stream perhaps?).

The podcast interview that I did a few weeks back has now been posted. Anybody that's interested can drop me a PM and I'll send the link. I also have a link to the radio show from back in September. My next appearance will be with a Country station in Indiana in mid-December.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hey O's,

Hope all is well. Mags, good show at not giving in to a strong urge to drink. Me thinks it never disappears totally. I was at a 45th coin ceremony last year and the man receiving this award shared how he had come closer to drinking that week than he could remember. He was quite ill with the flu and couldn't shake it, all of a sudden and out of thin air comes this strong urge to add some whiskey to his coffee. Medicinal purposes said AV. He didn't drink and received his 45 year chip in good standing.

I've been to some interesting meetings of late. Discussions on gratitude on TG week, responsibility (powerful discussion) fav share thought on r-ability was a man saying that as his responsibility grows - so does his freedom from fear, and are you being honest with your sobriety date. Good stuff...

Hey Itch Man, Itchulator, Techich... ...I am throwing away 4 laptops tomorrow and I want to be sure that info cannot be retrieved. Yes, this is a real worry...I once laid my work laptop on top of my car and boogied out of Dodge only to have some dude from NC contact me on facebook years later asking if I want the brains that he somehow extracted. Yikes, thank goodness it was my work laptop and only a few weeks old at loss time. Thoughts? I do have a sledge hammer!

Still sorting crap out for my southern move, but, the end is in sight! Wow, I will soon be a Southern Man - I needs me some Neil Young, O's.

Enjoy - Carlos

PS - Calling Dotti P - where are you?
Old 11-28-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Magsie

Evening overs.

There's a lot going on with y'all!

Inpar, pleased your staying put for now. All those bumps in the night! I'd have to be investigating, from the inside of the home of course!

Carlos, 45 years! For your colleague, that is amazing. Not long now before your move!

When I wrote early this morning about an urge for drink I told my husband and he says he gets the urge to have a cigarette sometimes or dreams about smoking, he's been stopped smoking about 3 years. Thanks for all the support and comments.

I do know that if I had woke up with an urge to drink when I was drinking, that's what I would have done, and been wasted most of Saturday. So pleased that is not the case.

I once again feel blessed and grateful that I am sober and also I have this site with friends for support and hopefully give support to others.

Wolfie, if you like simon pegg there's a good English comedy film called 'absolutely everything'.

Have a good weekend.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Do your best

That's awesome InPar congrats well happy for you

Il check it out FBL sounds cool

Going to order Marcus Aurelius's Meditations & some other good books

Having a roast for dinner just had a bath feeling good
Old 11-28-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Mags
Old 11-28-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
IP, great news on the radio show! What type of music do you play? I'd love to hear it, if possible (internet stream perhaps?).

The podcast interview that I did a few weeks back has now been posted. Anybody that's interested can drop me a PM and I'll send the link. I also have a link to the radio show from back in September. My next appearance will be with a Country station in Indiana in mid-December.
Congratulatons InPar!! ♥

I'd love to hear both of your shows!! Yes please FBL, I would really like the link.

How awesome that this dream has come true for you InPar!

And Sas, I feel dumb, I had no idea you were a programmer...all of this time that I've known you.

I am having a chilled Sunday....recovering from a bit of (gross) minor surgery, and just getting my sea legs back.

Love to all of the Overs. ♥
Old 11-29-2015, 12:51 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs.

Hope you're resting well, V x
Old 11-29-2015, 01:33 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Iwlasat
I would remove the hard drives from those laptops and drill holes thru them. That should do the trick.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:17 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Do your best

Or destroy them with magnets Walter white style ?
Old 11-29-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Wolfie, love the new avi! Anybody else here pumped for the new Star Wars flick??? I rarely go to the theater anymore, but I just might for Star Wars.

I'm just wrapping up the first season of Better Call Saul. I was a huge fan of Breaking Bad and I had some reservations about BCS, but I'm finding myself totally won-over. Many of the same people responsible for BB are behind the new show. The first season has been wonderful.

It's 23F here this morning, so I'll have to bundle up for my extended Sunday morning nature walk.

Have a great Sunday, overs!
Old 11-29-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

FBL, I only go to the movies once or twice a year. Star Wars will be one of them!

IP, great about your radio show :-). And also happy to hear about your new friends. Job situations are often challenging. For several reasons I didn't get my PhD and do what I truly wanted to and "settled" for a very different career. Although it wasn't boring, it often felt frustrating and I never got paid anywhere near what I would have. Even our dream jobs can end in nightmares with the wrong boss. I changed jobs several times and never found something I really loved. My view of it is that some of us find our bliss in our jobs and others love outside activities and tolerate our jobs. There's a whole spectrum. IMHO, it works better to include multiple factors when making our job decisions. For example, if you love where you live and really like the people, is that better or worse than a dream job? There is no one best choice!
Old 11-29-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Do your best

I loved breaking bad I only got through it recently I love the music from that show I read leaves of grass because of that show I want to check out BCS it sounds good my brother says il like it & I can't wait for star wars & cap america 3 civil war

I really liked child 44 as a film

Brisket for dinner tonight making yorkie puds & itl be a brisket sandwich
Old 11-29-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Wolfie, if you loved BB I think you'll also love BCS. It's really clever how they take the Saul Goodman character all the way back to his early days as Slippin' Jimmy McGill. I won't spoil it for you, but there are some other BB characters that are also in the new series.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome thanks Fbl
Old 11-29-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
For example, if you love where you live and really like the people, is that better or worse than a dream job? There is no one best choice!
That's a really interesting way of looking at it, and a really good point, thanks Saskia. You're right, it's about balancing all the factors in life, not just work.

So yesterday I was driving out in the country, as I do, when I got a flat tire. I pulled over on the side of the highway and called my friend who started talking me through changing it because I've never done it before. There was a piece missing from the jack so I walked to a nearby farmhouse, where the nicest couple ever lived and the man came and changed the flat for me, except then my battery was dead, and he tested it and found that it's really weak and I need to buy a new one. So he gave me a jump, then I drove to town, went to one tire place where they discovered that I had ruined the tire by driving on the rim (I had rolled backwards down the hill to get off the highway), and also that they didn't have the right size replacement. Drove to another tire place, where I was told that my two back tires were only all-seasons, which is not acceptable here, so I had to buy two new winters plus labour coming to $259. Also while I was talking to the tire guy, I got a bloody nose which continued to bleed the entire time I was waiting for my tires to get put on, two hours in a waiting room, and my cell phone was dead. Ridiculous day!!!! But now I have two shiny new winter tires and I got taken out for a nice dinner by the Guy last night which was a consolation .

I wish Star Wars would come here. Our theatre is too small.

Thanks for the congrats everyone. I missed listening to it (the radio show) because I was in the tire shop. Oh well!!!

Beautiful Sunday morning here. Sparkly snow, etc.
Enjoy the day.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Sorry about the series of mishaps, IP, but kudos for your great attitude :-)
Old 11-29-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening Overs
Old 11-29-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Greetings all my fine Overs!

Getting all ready from my Philippine adventure Tuesday AM. Flight leaves here at 6AM so up and to airport by 4ish.... Probably won't sleep all night. Oh joy!

Have tons to do, but I am pretty well packed. Travelling light as my friends have laundry there so I do not have to bring 2 weeks of clothes and such.

I may have the chance to check in now and then... so until then.. Peace!