One Year & Over Part 32

Old 11-27-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi IP
Old 11-27-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi all!

I am thankful for a roof over my head, a job to go to, clothes to wear, my friends in sobriety and SR
Old 11-27-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Just got back a couple of hours ago.

Had a lovely Turkey Day with my brother's family. Mom really enjoyed the festivities and she was the center of attention. We can see some of the dementia starting to creep-in, in very subtle ways. Her short-term memory is shot, but she can easily recall things that happened 60 years ago. I've always been very close to her and it's heartbreaking to see her slowly decline, but it's also inspiring to see that she hasn't lost those qualities that make her such a wonderful person.

Have a great Friday, overs!
Old 11-27-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

(((FBL))) ♥

Just treasure this time with your mum ~ I know you do.
The years I spent looking after my mum were so precious to me.

InPar ~ hmmm....

...the thing is I'm torn because it means devoting another year at the least, maybe two, and I'm pretty sure they're not going to compensate me adequately financially for it. It will entail a crap load of work, and so far this company has treated me pretty shoddily. So I'm deciding if I should suck it up and do the work for a company that has never really shown me much appreciation, or cut out now and move on to other opportunities.
It almost feels like you have made a decision here already.

Love to all of the Overs. ♥
Old 11-27-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Do your best

Goodnight Overs
Old 11-27-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi overs

I woke up earlier with a strong urge to drink! Got up with the full intention of coming here and posting and I couldn't find my iPad. Well, 15 minutes later and hubby on the hunt too, (it's 3.10 am) I found it in the spot i put it last night! It had just got between the edging cover round the bottom of the bed.

Any ways, the urge has passed , thankfully. Not sure what brought it on.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Glad you got through that Mags.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Magsie

Oh thanks V x
Old 11-27-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hopefully you can sleep love. ♥

I'm actually off for a Saturday arvo nap! (How lazy... ).
Old 11-27-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Quick post from my new Black Friday Surface Pro 3. It's an i5, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM. I just finished 139 Windows updates, and then an hour of upgrading it from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 . I'm glad you kept serious about your sobriety Mags.

IP, why not try a year of being a good follower? Then trying to be a leader who sets the value of others. Or find what you think is a better opportunity. Just remember the new job, like a new to you car, is not as fast as it seemed in the beginning.

Toots, I hear ya! I love listening to seniors to me too. Ever notice the guy in a wheelchair waiting outside the store on a nice day? Notice all act as if he's invisible. I like to say hi and really listen. Then break the ice by asking if he is waiting for someone. They never sound like they look, and the grateful grin to be acknowledged always warms my heart. When I was a youngster I wanted them to listen to why I am worthy. Funnyall it took was to give that very thing first.

FBL! Great to know you made it OK. I think pups were brought into my life to teach me that we can't freeze them in time. We can only learn to grasp each special moment with them, remembering that they want unconditional love back. Cute puppies mature, and then for a time match us in the age we are in only then. The can't match our stage in life year for year like human friends of the same age can.
If we become truly wise we take our family and friends for the gifts they are, not granted to us in perpetuity.

Wolf,
Hello bud!

Hi VCat!

FG!
Good to see ya!

Instant,
Thanks for stopping by and letting us know you're busy in sobriety.

I woke up with the anxiety of PTSD today. Post Thanksgiving Stomach distention! Must have been the extra helpings of pies.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:10 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi guys

IP do you have something specific to go to in the city? Are you sure that move would be better? Perhaps you need to write a pros and cons for both options. I get the feeling that, like my daughter, you always feel that the grass is greener elsewhere? Apologies if I am wrong. I am not suggesting you should stay where you are unappreciated and won't feel happy, only you can decide if that would be the case, I'm just being devils advocate and suggesting that a change isn't always definitely better.

Hi VC

FBL I call my friend who will be 90 next week, and each time I speak to her. I hear the degeneration in her faculties. It is heartbreaking, but she is still the same person I agree.

Itchy oh how I wished I had your expertise ( or your savvy Sass) I need to get my laptop sorted, it has never picked up a great wifi signal no idea why! But I just love Itchy, how you reel off a load of data that is total double Dutch to me. ( well, I understand the words, but no idea how you do all the actions! )

Mags, I was driving across the bridge the other day when completely out of the blue I got the thought, well who would it bother really if I started drinking again? WTF???? Where the heck did that come from? I had a few uncomfortable moments while I rebooted!!!

Feeling tired and sluggish this morning didn't get enou hours under my belt.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:21 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Mags, I was driving across the bridge the other day when completely out of the blue I got the thought, well who would it bother really if I started drinking again? WTF???? Where the heck did that come from? I had a few uncomfortable moments while I rebooted!!!
It would bother a lot of people toots my love.

Your success is a constant inspiration to me, and I'm sure to many others.
We want you to be happy and productive and sharing your wonderful joy of life with all of us.

I know you said it was just a momentary lapse, and I'm glad. And I have them too...I'm sure many of us do.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Toots,
I've been using, configuring, and building, first Commodore systems, then in 1984 I got my first DOS IBM 8086 computer. Everything was DOS commands and no mouse or desktop. The programs were all run on 5.25" floppy disks and later 3.5" floppies. I had to use them in the military, but started in 1973 building TVs and electronic systems for Devry Institute. I've just used them, built and sold them for the last 40 years or so. No biggie with that kind of background. I'd stay up all night doing trial and error to try new ways of doing virtual drives and tweaking the high mem and partition sizes back in the 80s. It's no harder than cooking is after 40 years of living with your end product.

Toots,
Drinking won't hurt anyone else, just disappoint a few at most. We have to live with the self loathing, lack of self respect, while all around us are, intentionally or not, unaware of how bad we are tied into it. And the slow suicide. We tend to get worse in a weekend or three into relapse than when we quit. Relapses don't happen to the recovered alcoholic by definition. No cravings. Sobriety without remorse is so easy that all our kids under 12 stay sober without even thinking of drinking alcohol.

I don't have another recovery in me so there's no question of me drinking. It is just not something I want, drank my fill, and hurt no one but me.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:21 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I definitely have those lapses.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:03 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

IP, sorry that I don't have any sage career advice. I've been lucky to earn a living doing something I love. I know many that hate their jobs and I just can't relate. Why spend 40 hours a week being miserable? Doesn't make sense to me.

Mags and Toots, congrats on fighting off the urges! Drinking was our coping mechanism for years, so it's no surprise that those thoughts can pop-in on occasion. Of course, we now know that drinking only compounded our problems and that's what helps shoo-away those thoughts. Like Itch, I no longer harbor any thoughts of even one drink. Been there, done that and got the T-shirt

Have a great Saturday, gang!
Old 11-28-2015, 02:09 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

How could I resist my favourite sketch of all time after you put up that avatar FBL?

Who's On First

(long version, and oh it's good!!)
Old 11-28-2015, 03:11 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Do your best

I love who's on first when I watched that I was in stitches

Good morning overs thinking of all you guys today

Itchy awesome news on the bf deals

were going out after tea hopefully we find some bargains with scotch beef again last week was incredible

Spk later guys
Old 11-28-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi Overs been at my sister's for the holiday. Head back today. Dropping off HRH at her "camp" while I am gone. Leave Tuesday and have a TON of last minute things to do. I can't eat another bite.. my sister has too many snacks and goodies around and I have no self control when it comes to potato chips, oatmeal cookies...

Overs
Old 11-28-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Heeeeeeeeeeey Aaaaaaaaaaaaaabot!
Old 11-28-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Do your best

Done the shopping & ive just cleaned the bathroom

Were now relaxing listening to play that sax