Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 3

Old 11-25-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Healthygoals View Post
Just in from the movies, came here to catch up and read about so many struggling today, I'm so sorry to see those posts. Please start over, we are here for you, no judgment.

Getting ready to call it a day, hand hurts from surgery, probably need more meds that I hate.

Tomorrow is day 11!
Oh! What did you see? We saw Victor Frankenstein earlier tonight.

Congrats on day 11 tomorrow!
Old 11-25-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  
Administrator

Guys please do not believe that lie that this is the festive season, and 'no one can stay sober in it'.

please do not believe that some of us are doomed, and can only hope for part time sobriety.

Please do not believe the BS that you can walk away from quitting, and then pick it up again after New Years....ask me how I know that's BS.

Each and everyone of you is capable of staying sober through December and January in 2016.

You may have to toughen up your plans, you may need to look at other things to add...you may have to accept that some days won't be great...

but no one ever said you have to get through this gracefully - just get through it

Stay sober...things can, do, and will get better.

I believe in everyone of you guys - we all arrived here at various times because we wanted to stop drinking.

Please don't forget that.

Don't let your inner addict dictate terms, or lead you to agree to any kind of compromise.

You all deserve amazing things - the kinds of things that happen when we stop drinking/drugging.

D
Old 11-25-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by learntofly View Post
Good morning everybody! Thanksgiving is tomorrow. Dun dun duuunn...what is everybody planning to do to stay sober? I'm bringing cider which I will sneak into a wine glass so I (hopefully) will not have to talk about my drinking. I'm not ready to talk to my extended family about that quite yet. The majority of them are heavy drinkers, so they will probably be half in the bag before I get there and hopefully will not notice that I'm not drinking. I'm a bit worried about going, but I am committed to staying strong and sober! I have faith that we can all get through this! Have a great Thanksgiving y'all! =)
Luckily my mom's side of the family doesn't drink because my grandma is a recovered alcoholic. Thankfully I don't need to worry about that.

BUT...I would never drink there anyway because I wouldn't be able to drink the.way I want to. The danger zone is usually the day AFTER so I will need to ramp up my recovery on Friday for sure!

You sound very committed to your sobriety so I'm sure you do great! Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-25-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Neverthought View Post
Hi Kiki.....I'm a big day 1'er here.

Thanks for that list, it's wonderful that you take the time to do that for this class. Man, am I glad I'm here.
neverthought...I love that you aren't giving up!
Old 11-25-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumbelina View Post
Hi all. Sorry I haven’t been around and posting much. Most of the time I just don’t want to be bothering you with my issues. Although it’s been a huge help to have somewhere to check in and have that sense of belonging in a way.
I have been sober for 26 days now. Its providing to be such an emotional roller coaster, I am really struggling to cope. The realisation that I had frozen my life for so long in this stinking alcohol camouflage has hit me harder than I expected. I look at myself and all I see is that nothing has really changed over the years, the life has gone on but I have remained the same (a few wrinkles aside that is!). I knew I had to change for a very long time, but it was just so easy to pour a glass and drink over it. Ironically, I’m not even craving the drink anymore; I’m just hoping that these emotions will subside and that I will not end up in a mental institution! It really is so overwhelming. I can now clearly see just how much damage has been done and how much I had concealed by my drinking.
I feel that way too Thumbelina. It's almost like I was down in a tornado shelter for 2 years. I just came out of it 10 days ago and saw the mess I have to clean up but one day at a time I will and so will you.

Your emotions will subside. Hang in there and forgive yourself. It could be worse, you could be 10 years older and still drinking. You (and I) have a chance to.stop it now and make happy memories for the future. Hang on!
Old 11-25-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  

My wife saw me on SR tonight and said 'you're back on there again' meaning after being off of it for many months. I need to find the strength from this place because most of those around me just won't get it.

Thanks for the firm reminder to stay sober this season D.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badger257 View Post
Give us a K....Give i.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGflUbPQfW8
Lol Badger!!!
Old 11-25-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Guys please do not believe that lie that this is the festive season, and 'no one can stay sober in it'.

please do not believe that some of us are doomed, and can only hope for part time sobriety.

Please do not believe the BS that you can walk away from quitting, and then pick it up again after New Years....ask me how I know that's BS.

Each and everyone of you is capable of staying sober through December and January in 2016.

You may have to toughen up your plans, you may need to look at other things to add...you may have to accept that some days won't be great...

but no one ever said you have to get through this gracefully - just get through it

Stay sober...things can, do, and will get better.

I believe in everyone of you guys - we all arrived here at various times because we wanted to stop drinking.

Please don't forget that.

Don't let your inner addict dictate terms, or lead you to agree to any kind of compromise.

You all deserve amazing things - the kinds of things that happen when we stop drinking/drugging.

D
I love this. Thanks Dee. And if we were to wait until Jan 1 to get sober there will ALWAYS be something to celebrate and drink over. What about St. Patrick's Day? Cinco de mayo? Mardi Gras? Valentines? Easter? Spring? 4th of July? Birthdays? Weddings? Parties? Halloween and the list goes on and on.....

My point? There will never be an ideal time to stop drinking. There will always be SOMETHING. So why not just end the misery now? Drinking isn't fun anymore anyway. Right?
Old 11-25-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
My wife saw me on SR tonight and said 'you're back on there again' meaning after being off of it for many months. I need to find the strength from this place because most of those around me just won't get it.

Thanks for the firm reminder to stay sober this season D.
Well we are your strength and we understand you!
Old 11-25-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
I know I shouldn't believe what others think about me...I live with a husband that points fingers at me for everything that goes wrong in our lives....I am not responsible for his unhappiness...but he keeps blaming me for all my faults...like cooking...I'm not a good cook, I don't try hard enough...I'm spoiled and lazy...it's just food for crying out loud!

I am in a toxic relationship and all I can think about is I'm not good enough...because that's what I've been listening for the past 15 years...He's not happy because of me, he resents me so much...I am happy with the simple little things in life like my son drawing a silly picture or a coffee at Starbucks....I don;t even know what he wants... I asked him and he said he doesn't know...

I lived for the past 15 years with a person that started "teasing" me...now it's a full blown attack at the way I am! Do I have to feel ashamed because I can't make gravy to his standards? He asked me to move in with him and leave my life behind...and now he's complaining about my idiosyncrasies?

I'm sorry I just need a good cry and I'll come back later...
Man! That sucks Patricia! I'm so.sorry you have to deal with such negativity. It sounds like he is a very happy man and is taking it out on you! Have you told him how he makes you feel?
Old 11-25-2015, 09:07 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strangeangel View Post
So sorry to hear that many are struggling. I am too. I'm trying not to count days, but I'm back on day 1. I think I'm going to try marking days off in my calendar that I don't drink and look at total days each month, instead of consecutive. I know we're all shooting for abstinence, and I want to as well, but this time of year is so hard and being kinder to myself might help me improve. Hugs to everyone. also, if you are not familiar with the delicious sparkly water called LaCroix, it's amazing. Read an article about a woman who beat her addictions with this miracle water. It's a tasty alternative.
Great to hear from you Angel! Whatever works for you is awesome! I will try that LaCroix! Is it really that good?
Old 11-25-2015, 09:10 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

That is true, SM, they don't get it because they are not afflicted with it. That is the reason each of us is here, a mutual understanding of the struggles we have been through and the strength and courage it takes to dig ourselves out. And we shall!
Old 11-25-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Great to hear from you Angel! Whatever works for you is awesome! I will try that LaCroix! Is it really that good?
Honestly, it's absolutely incredible. And you can stick it in a koozi at a gathering and no one will look twice at you! Ha. You probably think I'm a nut, but it's a really nice alternative and I think helps with cravings. Along with chocolate and cookies, of course.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:00 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Day 2....Thanks Kiki for adding me to the list.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:06 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind words. It feels so good to have support from those who know what I feel like.

Dee had made a great point awhile back when I had another slip: ultimately ANY thought of drinking is the AV, not me. A simple drink=bad. Here's what I did wrong last night: I let myself be convinced that I wanted to drink, not my AV. I thought of coming here to post and my AV told me it wasn't even worth it because I wanted to drink and would do so anyway. Posting on SR would just make it harder! Can you believe that! Arg. But I'm back. Because I want sobriety more than anything!
Old 11-25-2015, 10:11 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

In some ways I feel like quitting the quitting cycle and just 'embrace it' as someone once told me...but I know that attitude will eventually lead to disaster, I'll lose it all...
I'm going to quit the quitting cycle by stopping. No more drinking.
Only leads to dark and sad places with no friends or fond memories.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:14 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
Hide a gerbil? Intriguing. Lol
You are a thorough reader! : )
Old 11-25-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blondsober View Post
You are a thorough reader! : )
I was waiting for that answer too..... LOL
Old 11-25-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

End of Day 3

AV was tempting me - even had a friend change his family plans to have a drink with me after work and I had to disappoint him . . . so glad I did and now I am looking forward to Turkey Day with a clear conscience.

We can do this - to those who are restarting or having struggles - it will be worth it.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:51 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Evenin all....

A lot to read here, a busy day. Swim Kim, Patricia, glad to see your still here, same to you strange angel. Understand it must be a difficult time for a lot of you right now.

HALT...is something I see here often. H and A not too much of a problem for me but L and T very much part of the scenery. Sleep still not so good...today at work with sore watering prickling eyes, frustrating work. Tired, even the relentless wind grated. Just the moment to drink, just drift off for a few hours.

But drinking is like filling yourself with a tide of alcohol.....like all tides it eventually turns and recedes leaving you stranded and stuck again. So i'll just sit it out, do the usual and look forward to tomorrow.

Just cold, tired and generally blahhed. It'll pass.....

Hope you guys have a good evening....