Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 2

Old 11-21-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tufty13 View Post
Hi all,

Just posting here because for some reason I'm having strong cravings for the first time since stopping drinking.

I've had a really long day, I'm tired and hungry and I just want to relax (clearly one of my triggers) and there's an open bottle of red wine in my girlfriend's kitchen, it keeps staring at me, winking and I'm sure I can hear it crying "come to mamma"

I know I'll be fine but I just wanted to write this down and make a resolution to myself and SR not to drink. That way it makes it a bit easier to ignore my AV

Thanks for listening!
Ahhh what can you do instead to relax ? Eat a big meal, have some tea? I am only on day 7 and so I don't have tons of advice but just wanted to be there for ya! Lets get through today. We got through yesterday, we can get through today.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Afternoon PAUSE:

I haven't read the latest posts from everyone but I will soon...

It's THAT time of the day again...the afternoon! Ugh! This is ALWAYS when I get cravings because it was always when I started drinking.

It's like my body is "programmed" or something. I'm just taking a moment to call my AV out!!!

SHUT UP AV!!! Nooooooooo!!!!! A drink would NOT make my Saturday more fun!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE alcohol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ugh.
It's that time for me too! It's very uncomfortable for me right now. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to go away and do this recovery thing without all these usual triggers. Do you think it's because blood sugar gets low in the afternoon that the cravings kick in? I just ate some nuts and raisins, but no real difference in how I feel. Gotta keep going. I'm sick and tired of doing Day One over and over again.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Made it through the night. 37 hours sober right now. Last night was terrible. No sleep, arms started twitching everytime I laid down, sweating. Day 1 and day 2 suck. Almost over the physical withdraw...
Old 11-21-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jackie1214 View Post
It's that time for me too! It's very uncomfortable for me right now. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to go away and do this recovery thing without all these usual triggers. Do you think it's because blood sugar gets low in the afternoon that the cravings kick in? I just ate some nuts and raisins, but no real difference in how I feel. Gotta keep going. I'm sick and tired of doing Day One over and over again.
I know how you feel! Ugh. Just don't drink. Each time we get thru a craving the next one gets less intense. The craving I had 30 minutes ago only lasted 10 minutes & now it's gone. Yesterday's craving lasted like 2 excruciating hours! I'm not sure why our bodies want alcohol in the afternoon? Habit??? I'm gonna start eating a huge lunch & lots of snacks. When I eat...my cravings go away. Have you eaten?
Old 11-21-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Phew! Made it through that craving!!! It was much less intense than yesterday! Thank God!!!

Jackie, Lisa & WalkTheLine....hang in there!!! You can do this! We are ALL in this together!!!!!
Old 11-21-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tufty13 View Post
Hi all, Just posting here because for some reason I'm having strong cravings for the first time since stopping drinking. I've had a really long day, I'm tired and hungry and I just want to relax (clearly one of my triggers) and there's an open bottle of red wine in my girlfriend's kitchen, it keeps staring at me, winking and I'm sure I can hear it crying "come to mamma" I know I'll be fine but I just wanted to write this down and make a resolution to myself and SR not to drink. That way it makes it a bit easier to ignore my AV Thanks for listening!
Hang in there TUFFY! Stay with us, ok???
Old 11-21-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

UPDATE: Saturday 11/21/15

We are STRONGER TOGETHER!!! :-)

Gifford -15 days
Canguy -14 days
HealthyGoals -6 days
Me (KiKi) -6 days
Patricia -8 days
StrangeAngel -7 days
Pams -6 days
GoldenSands -6 days
CurlyGirl -16 days
KeepNitreal -13 days
BlackBirdFly -7 days
Noolan -2 days is awesome!
SwimKim -11 days
MeShelly -7 days
Thumbelina -22 days
Lisa247 -1 day-you can do this!
Jackie1214 -1 day-never EVER give up!
WalkTheLine-1 day-you are stronger than you think! You WILL do this!

*REMEMBER-all we REALLY have is TODAY...this 24 hours. It's not a race. There is no shame in starting over as long as we NEVER GIVE UP!!! There is no graduation; just a wonderful journey into the happiness and amazing life we all deserve...
Old 11-21-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Yup it's that time of day for me too. The AV is chirping away, wanting me to relax after a long day with a drink. Working on killing it with coffee and candy, ARGHHHHH!

WE CAN BEAT THIS TOGETHER!
Old 11-21-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Sunday morning's great. Early, clear and sunny. A whole free day ahead....all ok out here.

Patricia, you are sounding much better....you're getting over the worst.
Strange....you're gonna make the week....nights will be better then.
Pams....take it easy and your gonna hit your week too...
Golden, Congrats on your week....and you will have another soon

Thanks Super....I watch the 24 hour cycle go around here..

Early start here, got a workshop job kicking off in a few minutes, just waiting for mech to arrive. Not the kind of thing you do on a hangover.....

Day 13 for me...

Have a great day all....on we go, YO!
Old 11-21-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Phew! Made it through that craving!!! It was much less intense than yesterday! Thank God!!!

Jackie, Lisa & WalkTheLine....hang in there!!! You can do this! We are ALL in this together!!!!!
I just rode a craving through, also. It surprises me that they subside and do go away, at least for a while. I would normally get in the car and go to the store for a bottle of wine.

I wonder how long I'll be craving free this evening and how many more may come before I go to sleep tonight.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Last post way out of synch......sorry to all ppl I missed.....will catch up later.
Plenty happening here......
Old 11-21-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jackie1214 View Post
I just rode a craving through, also. It surprises me that they subside and do go away, at least for a while. I would normally get in the car and go to the store for a bottle of wine. I wonder how long I'll be craving free this evening and how many more may come before I go to sleep tonight.
If you get another one...be sure to eat!!! And post here & we will help you thru it. You're doing great!!!
Old 11-21-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

UPDATE: Saturday 11/21/15

We are STRONGER TOGETHER!!! :-)

Gifford -15 days
Canguy -14 days
HealthyGoals -6 days
Me (KiKi) -6 days
Patricia -8 days
StrangeAngel -7 days
Pams -6 days
GoldenSands -6 days
CurlyGirl -16 days
KeepNitreal -13 days
BlackBirdFly -7 days
Noolan -2 days is awesome!
SwimKim -11 days
MeShelly -7 days
Thumbelina -22 days
Lisa247 -1 day-you can do this!
Jackie1214 -1 day-never EVER give up!
WalkTheLine-1 day-you are stronger than you think! You WILL do this!

*REMEMBER-all we REALLY have is TODAY...this 24 hours. It's not a race. There is no shame in starting over as long as we NEVER GIVE UP!!! There is no graduation; just a wonderful journey into the happiness and amazing life we all deserve...
Kiki-you're amazing for reminding us how we are doing as a group!

Hang in there with those cravings guys! I just had one because early afternoon is when I started drinking so I could function the next day and take care of the morning school rituals for my son.
Anyway, I recalled what Dee said about surfing (I originally thought he meant surfing the web. Lol). Anyway, I felt the anxiety in my chest and upper stomach. I took a few deep breaths and then remembered HALT. (Hungry,angry, lonesome, tired). I realized I was hungry so I went and had a lite bite to eat (because I don't want to replace alcohol with food) and a cup of tea. The craving passed. I hope it doesn't come back!

The techniques that they shared with us are worth trying if you get your craving.

Hang in there Walktheline!!!!! Get through the withdrawals and then remember how awful they are the next time you reach for the drink!
Old 11-21-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal View Post
Kiki-you're amazing for reminding us how we are doing as a group! Hang in there with those cravings guys! I just had one because early afternoon is when I started drinking so I could function the next day and take care of the morning school rituals for my son. Anyway, I recalled what Dee said about surfing (I originally thought he meant surfing the web. Lol). Anyway, I felt the anxiety in my chest and upper stomach. I took a few deep breaths and then remembered HALT. (Hungry,angry, lonesome, tired). I realized I was hungry so I went and had a lite bite to eat (because I don't want to replace alcohol with food) and a cup of tea. The craving passed. I hope it doesn't come back! The techniques that they shared with us are worth trying if you get your craving. Hang in there Walktheline!!!!! Get through the withdrawals and then remember how awful they are the next time you reach for the drink!
Thanks KeepItReal. My AV is STILL whispering! SHUT UP! Grrrr...

Afternoons & early evenings are the HARDEST! Thanks for the reminder about Urge Surfing. I'm not very good at it yet. I feel it in my chest, throat, stomach & jaw. Is that weird???
Old 11-21-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Kiki-those sound like pretty normal places to feel it. I just tried to feel it, identify it, relax into it, and let go.
Is anybody working the 12 steps? Is there a class on SR?

I haven't seen Dee today. He must be relaxing at a bar! (Just kidding Dee). I hope you're spending quality time with your family!
Old 11-21-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's only 9am, here guys...gimme a break

D
Old 11-21-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Just passed my biggest test of the week. I work at a bar/restaurant on Saturdays till 7pm. A local musician friend passed away this week, so there was a bit of an Irish wake going on at the bar. Turned down many drinks while I was working, and it was really really hard. Normally I'd sit down at the bar at the end of my shift and shoot right passed people who had been there drinkin for hours and set myself up for yet another epic Saturday binge ...
Today is day 7 for me
I read absolutly everything I can on these forums and it keeps me focused , so thanks to everyone that contributes and keeps my eye on the prize
Old 11-21-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Supertired;5654810]Just passed my biggest test of the week. I work at a bar/restaurant on Saturdays till 7pm. A local musician friend passed away this week, so there was a bit of an Irish wake going on at the bar. Turned down many drinks while I was working, and it was really really hard. Normally I'd sit down at the bar at the end of my shift and shoot right passed people who had been there drinkin for hours and set myself up for yet another epic Saturday binge ...
Today is day 7 for me
I read absolutly everything I can on these forums and it keeps me focused , so thanks to everyone that contributes and keeps my eye on the prize[/QUOTE

I'm so impressed! Amazing!
Old 11-21-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal View Post
Kiki-those sound like pretty normal places to feel it. I just tried to feel it, identify it, relax into it, and let go. Is anybody working the 12 steps? Is there a class on SR? I haven't seen Dee today. He must be relaxing at a bar! (Just kidding Dee). I hope you're spending quality time with your family!
I'm getting ready to start the 12 steps with my sponsor after Thanksgiving. :-)

Morning Dee! Ha.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supertired View Post
Just passed my biggest test of the week. I work at a bar/restaurant on Saturdays till 7pm. A local musician friend passed away this week, so there was a bit of an Irish wake going on at the bar. Turned down many drinks while I was working, and it was really really hard. Normally I'd sit down at the bar at the end of my shift and shoot right passed people who had been there drinkin for hours and set myself up for yet another epic Saturday binge ... Today is day 7 for me I read absolutly everything I can on these forums and it keeps me focused , so thanks to everyone that contributes and keeps my eye on the prize
Wow! That's amazing Super! You are an extremely strong person!!!