Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 4

Old 11-10-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Grizzly,

That is pretty darn close. I'm slightly older and don't wear khakis (though i did have a spell).

I hate beards. I am self-employed so I'm pretty serious about my job and, yes, especially as I get older and older, I try to not let negative things/people get to me so I'm tend to take a deep breath rather than get angry or any anger disippates quickly. I do tend to hold grudges longer than is healthy, which is related to my seriousness I guess.

Pretty much an A+ for your assessment.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Administrator

The older I get the more I look like Jerry Garcia

I stopped imagining people here a long time ago - I invariably got it wrong

D
Old 11-10-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

24 days!!! I really want to hit that big three zero, need that sucker. Got up early, rode the bike, had a good day at work, good attitude considering I had the assignment I like the least. I'm getting better at making a bad situation gooder.

So, no unbearable cravings, beer only crossed my mind a couple times. Went to Trader Joes after work, it's their beer and wine section that gets me everytime, brushed it off though. I did pick up the cheese and bacon flavored popcorn, it's truly amazing! Hope everyone is having a great week!

Loving my new fitbit, forced me out on a walk with the dog after dinner, something I don't normally do. It's just another little something to keep my mind off the bottle and gives me goals that I can meet on a daily basis, pretty good therapy.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome

Thank you everyone for welcoming me to this group. Today I am 18 days sober . I am so thankful for SR. I have been going to AA, but when I am there I am filled with such anxiety that I can't talk! My anxiety has been so bad that I've had a hard time getting food into my body, but tonight I finally ate a proper meal.

I keep finding myself regretting this or regretting that and telling myself "why didn't you quit 10 years ago?" "why didn't you this or that" and feeling sad when I think of everything I'm not proud of in the past
Old 11-10-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midton View Post

Pretty much an A+ for your assessment.
Yay!! I was wrong about one thing though. I did not think self-employed. I was thinking department of defense contractor.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grizzlybearblue View Post
Yay!! I was wrong about one thing though. I did not think self-employed. I was thinking department of defense contractor.

I probably look like a stereotypical defence contractor. I used to be a banker but ain't the best working in a group/team or taking orders I don't agree with. Self-employed is way better for me.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Looking4awagon, cheese and bacon flavored popcorn sounds perfect! I gotta get me some of that.
bunnyluv, I am right there with you on the anxiety of talking at meetings. I've been to about a handful of meetings over the last several weeks. I've definitely not been consistent, but for the most part ive met really nice people when im there. I've talked at the smaller meetings, but the big meetings with old timers scare me. After a big meeting on sunday, a lady came up to me and said , "Talk. We need to hear your voice". I know she was trying to be nice, but I didn't like that. I will talk when I'm ready, and I don't want to be pushed into something I'm not comfortable with.
18 days is great, bunnyluv!! I'm glad you're here : )
Old 11-10-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grizzlybearblue View Post
, "Talk. We need to hear your voice". I know she was trying to be nice, but I didn't like that. I will talk when I'm ready, and I don't want to be pushed into something I'm not comfortable with.
18 days is great, bunnyluv!! I'm glad you're here : )
It's better for all, listeners included, if the talker is ready to talk. She was probably just trying to be helpful and forgetting what it was like at the start.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:55 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

midton,, I am not sure how I imagine you.. sophisticated and mature.. what about that??

So I got a dobbelganger in your life. Yes I am a travel mad thing and working for an international airline in marketing... I travel a lot all over and dont like flying .. go figure...

so my end of day 4.. I must say if I wouldnt have had my last saturday drinks it would have been day 36 today..
well... I have been sober at home for 36 days which means That I have no problems or triggers when I get home from work or on the weekends anylonger..
I enjoy a " normal" life at home and 100% prefer my new sober life looking after myself...
the Saturday drinks I had was an unfortunatley slip and what I have to work on is me travelling = boozing.. I have no doubt I will stay sober until my holidays start 9 January 2016 .. I will not only have my long European flights, dealing with my mother who suffers Motor neurone disease( Lou Gehrigs disease/ALS) so we talking serious stress/anxiety triggers. This is then followed by a stop over in Singapore staying in a hotel with free booze 11am-11pm for 6 days....
we

Hopefully my view around these triggers will have changed in 2 months time..
good night my fellow sobers..
Old 11-11-2015, 01:37 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Syd,

I think we can be too hard on ourselves when we have a slip. The way I look at it is one slip out of so many days, hours and minutes is a big improvement on what went before, and a massive step in the right direction. I've said before that I'm in a bit of awe of people who can slip and then get back on the wagon right away. When I'm drinking I find it so hard to string more that 4 days together. As someone wrote on here, sorry can't remember who, it's easy to stay sober it's getting sober that's hard. There was also a comedian who said "quitting alcohol is easy I've done it many times". If I drink I know I'll disappear down the rabbit hole for months.

Sophisticated and mature sounds great, wife might laugh if I tell her though.

I'm a big fan of Singapore. I spend about 6 weeks working there 15 years or so ago. One day , after I've saved up for many years, I'll go back and stay at the marina bay sands, at least in my dreams.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:43 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Bunnyluv,

I hope I'm assuming correctly given your name and picture that you're a rabbit fan. My family just got our first pet, a rabbit about a month or so ago. It's the cutest thing and seems to have a great temperament, though my wife ain't super pleased with the state of the skirting boards.

I wasn't told the type but looking in pet shops and online I think ours is a Netherland Dwarf.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:36 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Midtown! That's hilarious! My screen name is of course related to my singing. When I would write songs I naturally started singing in the key of c. Everyone has a natural starting keyand that was mine! I'm not from Cali (Ky is me) but I am 5feet, 130 pounds, long blond hair, green eyes. I'm middle aged, married with the young adult children. I'm a supervisor at a bank. Live in a town named for being one of the most beautiful small towns in America.
I too had the same picture of you as Grizzly had and I too thought of grizzly as a big ol burly type man until like you I saw he was a female! Lol
I'm not a Cali valley girl but I guess you were In the ball park somewhat! Lol
Old 11-11-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Syd I picture as a tall dark haired Aussie man with a strong dialect? Middle aged and working in a strict professional environment, high stress and pressure to get things done?
How close is that Syd?
Midton that's a great thing to share! It's fun and made me smile!
Haven't gotten anything on looking4awagon. I picture a little red wagon is about all I can come up with!
Dee! Pahahaa too funny!
Old 11-11-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Good morning - the sun is back out and I'm feeling optimistic again. Day 32.

I'm going to yoga this morning - I need it. Then going to work from home a bit, then hopefully attend a parents session at my son's school. Trying to breathe and take it easy. The weekend will be here soon.

My son is lucky today - going on a field trip to Mount Vernon (George Washington's home). I've been there and it's beautiful and historic. Nice that he gets to go on a sunny day because the grounds are just pretty to walk around. I hope he enjoys himself.

I personally want to go to the American History museum soon. I hope I can find the time - with or without my kids. I love history and all the stuff of the past. I've been to the Air and Space and Natural History museum several times, also the Holocaust Museum, which took me several days to recover from. Now I want a little history. I also want to plan a day trip to a Korean spa soon .... oh I have so much to do now that I'm not drinking (or hungover!!) Great day all.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Hey all,Midton the "real" Winslow is the crazy beast in my avatar😀 I'm a 42(bleh,hate typing that) chick, I too.thought of grizzly as a big burly,bearded guy haha,day 19 and the thoughts are creeping😠 not for a drink but anxiety is amped up and a drink is always how I've coped,its not the actual drink itself, actually that sounds pretty gross tbh,its just dealing with the mind cooties,grrr,breaking it down I can see that
1. Haven't been sleeping good
2.Haven't been exercising cua I'm exhausted
3.trying to taper my anxiety med also(may put it on hold)
4.having issues with one of my girls,so I know by breaking it all down what's going on, its just how I deal with it,drinkin won't help a thing on the list,so I won't do it,hope.we all have a nice Wednesday😊
Old 11-11-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

I corrected that Midton and my phone just like "Midtown"! Sorry!
Old 11-11-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

KeyofC, little red wagon,lol, my kids have one. I'm 37, just short of 6 foot, brown hair, brown eyes and broad shouldered. I wear Levi's and usually a t shirt from a brewery that I've visited. I live in the Pacific Northwest and love the outdoors, spend a lot of time hiking, backpacking, rafting, canoeing, biking, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Made me smile!! Y'all are pretty awesome!! ((Hug)) thanks for sharing..we need to go that more often in more threads!
Old 11-11-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Day 5 ..
Nil issues with booze what so ever.. I used to smoke a long time ago.. I feel the same as quitting smoking. The desire has gone, the cravings totally gone, dont think about it until I think of SR to post and read.. It feels like it was a phase in my life.. Hope it stays like that and becomes a long distant illness I had..
Midton,, yes dont we all wish that wr could moderate, have a glass of champagne when visiting a vineyard etc.. But we cant take the chance. I was lucky (but also determined) to leave my getaway drinks behind and not take it home..
Midton.. I am sorry to burst your fantasy.. Marina bay sands is like a huge mall.. It actually is.. Nice for a visit but would I ever stay there NO WAY..

Key.. I am 6.2 tall blond 50 (, very young 50 if I may say)European descent and speak a normal aussie accent. Not too broad at all.. Work in a high pressured job so thats right!!!
Its nice to read all your posts, I feel I know you even more!!!
Ok back to work for me.. Have a great evening in the US of A..
Old 11-11-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Hey all - I had a bad day, a really bad day - I hate to bring down the tone of this thread which has been overwhelmingly upbeat and positive lately!

Sometimes I get pissed off that I wake up so happy and optimistic and have all these plans like visiting museums, taking educational trips, getting lots of work done, attending yoga workshops and book signings, starting a new workout program etc. and then everything goes to hell in a handbasket when my kids come home from school. They're not always horrible, but the one with special needs had a REALLY bad day today and threw the whole household into an uproar. Then my insolent teenage daughter acted like a huge brat who only cares about 1 person in the world - herself - as usual and threw me over the edge. I started craving escape in the form of a glass of wine. I even pictured it and felt it and almost went about getting some. What stopped me? I didn't have a good opportunity. My Mom was here helping me and I had to wait for her to leave, but by the time she left I was like, "F*ck it, I'm not getting the wine after all." I had a glass of sparkling pommegranate juice (from Trader Joe's) and some cheese and crackers and am calling it a day. I made it but am not happy with how things are going in my life right now.

Sorry to be such a downer in the group - to join in, I'm 5'0" , 105 lbs (wish to be around 100 - hence the wanting to lose 5 lbs), blonde, hazel eyes, Irish/French descent, youngish looking 51 In fact, got carded a few years ago which makes me happy. I intend to stay young looking and acting, and not drinking is part of my health plan going forward. But man, some days are just crap.