Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 4

Old 11-08-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Lesson certainly learnt.. And I actually prefer to be sober..i didnt drink enough to get a hideous hangover thankfully.. So back on the wagon and I prefer it..
Old 11-08-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Day 27: Lazy Sunday, but trying not to bash myself too much for being unproductive. Definitely excited to start a productive week tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Juno,

We really do have a lot of similarities.

I go "home" every year with my kids and my home airport was the subject of a terrorist attack in 2007. I quite apprehensive of flying these days too and am thinking about not going back next summer, but my parents are old and I feel obligated. Im usually fine once I get to the airport but I'd love never to fly again.

I'm also a big summer person and detest winter. I think you are a lot colder than we are but we get massively dumped on by snow for around 4 months. World class powders now though but I don't ski. The effort involved in daily clearings of snow is exhausting.

Socially, I'm pretty isolated here and would love real friends but if it ain't happened by this time I doubt the natives, nice as they are, are going to open up. I'm bored here and this has lead me and a lot of other foreigners here to turn to drink for escape.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:29 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hang in there Sydneyman, glad your back on it. I know how you feel. I backpack, raft, canoe, cross country ski, snowshoe, and bike, all of which I used to drink while doing or after doing. I don't know how I'm gonna handle backpacking into a sublime alpine Mountain deep into the wilderness and not be able to have that bottle of wine while I watch the sunset and alpine glow dance upon the lofty peaks. It scares me to death, but luckily winter is on the way so I won't have to worry about it for a while.

Today is day 22. I opened my Christmas present early on friday, my fitbit charge hr activity band. I am trying to surround myself with healthy things and habits to keep my mind preoccupied. So far I love the fitbit, fun to look at my sleep patterns, and reach my goals! It has definitely made me more active, had to go for a walk tonight after dinner just so I could get my 10,000 steps, normally would have hit the couch early.

As far as staying sober, this was a tough weekend. I had family in town that I loved to drink with, and they drink a lot too. Everyone thinks I am so wierd for taking on this 90 day sober challenge. It is getting much easier for me to turn down the drink, only found myself reaching for a drink just to taste it a couple of times, because this is what I used to do, never took that sip though, stayed strong!

I have decided to take on another challenge. When I hit 30 days sober, I am going to stop my late night snacking, which has replaced my drink. I haven't gained any weight with the snacking because I no longer am sucking down 2000 calories of beer 4 nights a week anymore. I really want to keep myself heading in a healthy direction, wanting to make my health my new addiction. So I am going to add in a new 30 day challenge to not eat anything after dinner.

Juno, i hope you can get out of that rut, it can be hard to stay positive. Staying busy has worked for me, I am always trying to stay productive because it keeps me moving in the right direction, forward. I am getting a lot of satisfaction cleaning those places in my house I never had time for, or making an effort to make myself available to those that are important to me because it feels good to help someone who needs it. Helped my brother get a freezer into his house this weekend, which was a bigger pain in the ass than it sounds, felt good to be able to help.

Keep up the good work you guys!
Old 11-08-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

My 2 cents worth re flying.. I work for an airline and have for over 20 years.. I am on the ground.. As you most have gathered I live in Sydney Australia which means for us its a LONG flight to get anywhere.. I have my mother and sister living in northern Europe so for me it takes 24 hours of flying to get there.. In the early days I enjoyed standby travel and flew to LA and SFO often just for the weekend.. I must have made those flights at least 40 times.. It all changed 9/11.. I worked then for UA .. I started getting panick attacks on board. Today I really dont like flying and when I do I have alcohol to sooth my nerves.. And it helps.. I am going back to visit my family in January and not drinking is freaking me out.. This is the reason I initially was going to quit drunking until that time so for 3 months.
With the latest attacks on airplanes just makes me feel even more afraid..
I have medication for this but it hardly helps...
Old 11-08-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grizzlybearblue View Post
The Titans never win : ( Thank you for keeping me hopeful though, lol!!
Well the Titans won today, and they beat the Saints. But more importantly, I had them at +9.5, so my bets all covered, and I didn't even need the points
Old 11-08-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sydneyman View Post
Day2...! Yes day 2 .. Went away to the country for the weekend and drank Gin & Tonics.. Not going to beat myself up about it as back on Day 2. I must say that it was not mad drinking but a few. Anyway I drank so back here again. My slip doesn't mean that I will drink back at home now. Those drink were and stay at the country.
Sorry Sydney; you and I were on only a day apart so I've often thought of you when I count up my days.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I live in Asia and usually make at least 6 flights a year. In the months leading up to a flight I can have moments of panic when I'm on the cusp of sleeping. But as the flight nears my main emotion is excitement and I'm always totally relaxed and confident from the moment I get to the airport.

In all my years of flying nothing remotely bad has happened. The actual worse thing was getting stopped at customs carrying my girlfriends clothes (she'd been working in Spain and was coming home by bus as she no money) and the contents of my case examined while other passengers walked buy. Even the customs guy couldn't contain himself. But I digress.

Drinking on planes is another matter. I can't remember the last time I didn't drink while flying. I also have a layover which I make longer than needed on the pretext of making sure I don't miss my connection but in reality it's to take advantage of the lounge and its "free" wine. I know that right now I couldn't fly sober. The occasion would be too much but who knows how I'll feel and where I'll be at mentally in the next few months.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:26 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know that right now I couldn't fly sober.
I think thats a false belief Midton.

Today I really dont like flying and when I do I have alcohol to sooth my nerves.. And it helps..
I disagree Sydneyman - I think it ends up increasing your anxiety where you have not only the anxiety of flying but also the anxiety of wanting a drink...it reinforces a pattern of behaviour where you come to believe you cannot fly without drinking.

I'm not trying to be a hardass here or start a fight - I understand that the world seems less safe than it used to...but I think there's a lot of addictive voice in statements like these and I think they need to be challenged here on a site like SR.

D
Old 11-08-2015, 11:51 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Dee,

I guess what I should have wrote is that I,at present, feel strongly that I would drink were I to fly (just trying to behonest)In the same way that people avoid pubs and parties in early sobriety because of the risks and temptations flying is a massive trigger for me.

I know that it would be my decision and my actions to actually drink on a flight and I know that if a gun were put to my head I would refrain but without such stimuli I would decide to drink.

Now, my next flight will probably be next July or August. I also feel that were I to stay sober until then then I most likely would be strong enough to abstain.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:10 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have confidence in you Midton

D
Old 11-09-2015, 12:56 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I agree Dee and dont take any offence to your or anyone elses comments. I am here to learn from you and get the support that you offer and I need.

Time to rise ... keep going mate. Had a relapse and it doesnt matter if it was 1 drink or a whole bottle.. I started counting my days again on Sunday. Do I feel like a failure, I am dissapointed that I let a situation permit myself to drink. After aover a month not drinking And having alcohol on Saturday I prefer the month without the booze. I like sobriety and had a hiccup. i dont consider myself a failure.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Noone is a failure here, sydneyman - we don't shoot our wounded

you can do this

D
Old 11-09-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Tough weekend this weekend. As I mentioned, my parents were in town visiting, and I'm used to drinking with them, especially my dad.

In the last couple weeks, I've been having a lot of trouble breathing; I can't seem to get a nice, deep breath, and I feel like a have a tight band constricting my ribcage. I know this is anxiety (and not something like a heart problem), as I had it a lot when I had cancer and when my husband was in Iraq. I haven't had it in a long time, but not drinking has really made it bad. Saturday, as I was sitting at my son's percussion contest, it was the worst it's ever been. I simply couldn't get a good breath, and as it got worse and worse, all I could think about was that wine would make it better and help me relax. I could not get the thought of wine out of my head. If I had been alone without my family, I know 100% I would have drunk Saturday night. Getting through the night without drinking, even with them there, was absolutely one of the most miserable times I've had in my recent memory.

Now I'm concerned for next weekend when my husband is away. It's my birthday on Saturday, and I'm afraid I'm going to use that as an excuse to drink and reduce this horrible breathing thing. Ugh...

I'm loving reading all your posts, even though I don't have time to comment on each one individually. It really helps to see that I'm not all alone in this because "in real life" it so often feels that way. sydneyman, good for you for keeping the drinking in the country and getting right back at it!
Old 11-09-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Morning all...

Looking4aWagon - thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I'm feeling a little better today. I guess sadness is something we all experience now and then. The good news is that I'm not drinking over it anymore!

Day 30 today!!! Not the first time in my life I've made it to Day 30, but the first time in a while. I'm proud of myself for taking the steps I needed to do to get here. The Campral seemed to help so I'm keeping that going and going to see my doctor (psychiatrist) this week. Also, hope to to hit up a SMART meeting this week. Keep up with yoga, and maybe some running. Okay, onward!!!

RE: flying, these days I only fly about 1-2 times per year and that's enough for me. I don't have to fly for work and my parents moved to be near me, so I only fly for fun stuff and holidays. Last year I flew a couple of times and it all went fine...

However, I noticed a big difference in my attitude when I fly when drinking vs. not:

Flying completely sober: Oh God, I hope this plane doesn't crash. Please God, don't let this plane crash, I have a lot more living to do. I need to see my dog again! I'm not ready to die. Oh look at that guy over there - he looks suspicious. I hope he's not a terrorist. I hope this plane has no mechanical problems...

Flying while drinking: Wheee!!! This is fun! I like this drink!! I'm having fun and I'm on vacation! Wheeee! I don't even care if the plane crashes!!!

Having said that, I have not had drinks the last few times flying and for good reasons. I need to be clear headed when travelling to remember my things, not leave anything on the plane (I've done that before!), be clear headed at my desination, and not have to nurse a hangover when I arrive

I'm off to work soon. Happy to be at 30 days and was hoping to buy myself a present. I'll think of something
Old 11-09-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

(((JUNO))) congrats on day 30!! So proud of you!
Old 11-09-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Thank you KeyofC and thanks for all your cheerleading and support!!!
Old 11-09-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Rise View Post
Well the Titans won today, and they beat the Saints. But more importantly, I had them at +9.5, so my bets all covered, and I didn't even need the points
I couldn't believe it!! I was just laughing, there are no words. Shocked. Glad you picked it right : )

I've got to run off to work, but I wanted to say real quick: congrats Juno!!! 30 days is awesome!!!
Old 11-09-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hey, no problem! It helps me giving advice..sometimes I give better advice to you guys that I don't even take heed to. I think we are all guilty of that. I treat strangers better than I treat myself sometimes..
Old 11-09-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hey all,just a quick fly by to say hi,I hope everyone has a nice Monday😊