Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 4

Old 11-16-2015, 09:21 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

That's wonderful looking4awagon!! Way to go!
Old 11-17-2015, 12:27 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by looking4awagon View Post
Well, finally! I have reached my 30 days and it feels like I had to summit Killamonjaro to get here. I couldn't have done it without you guys, thank you so much for this class and for all the good words of encouragement and life lessons you have shared along this journey.

So after 30 days of sobriety I can say I feel a lot better overall. I am a hypochondriac, constantly worrying about my health from trashing my body with booze. Well, I don't worry so much my health because I know I am healing. I have so much more energy and a greater self esteem, I'm beginning to feel a little like my old self again which is nice. I know longer have the mental fog I used to live with, I feel sharper, no more headaches or vertigo either. I have to say I am also a much better father and husband because now I have the energy to get through the day and am much more attentive. My blood pressure has also come down a bit. When I gave up alcohol I allowed myself to self medicate with snacks at night and even with all the crap I've been eating I still managed to lose a few pounds.

My goals for the next 30 days is to obviously stay sober, but also workout at least 3 days a week, meet my fitbit goals at least 5 days a week and try to stay in my calorie allowance in my fitness pall, oh yeah, and no more snacking. I'm really looking forward to accomplishing this next 30 days with you guys!
Well done bud !!
Old 11-17-2015, 12:54 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well done LFAW

D
Old 11-17-2015, 02:57 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Looking4!!! Awesomeness!! (Red wagon! Lol)
I'm so proud of you! You should feel so good about yourself, just amazing!! ((Hug))!!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Nicely done, L4aWagon!! It feels good to get to the 30 point, I know you were looking forward to being there. I knew you could do it!

I feeling about 1000% better than I did yesterday. My hangovers are hellish. And that was the last one because I can't take it anymore! I could have slept about 12 hours to make up for the lack of sleep the previous night, but since it's a Tuesday I had to wake up early. No complaints, though, because I'm not hungover

Though I'm not happy about my relapse, I have some ideas of why it might have happened and why it might have been a needed step in my recovery. I know it won't make too much sense to anyone but me, so I'll write about it my journal.

Sydneyman, good going getting back to 10 days. I'm right behind you.

Everyone else, have a great Tuesday!!!
Old 11-17-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Hey all,congrats on 30 days Looking😁 Juno,you sound good, yeah the hangovers definitely get worse,so no more,I hope everyone has a lovely day😊
Old 11-17-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Day11.. Good on you Juno glad to see the resilience and you bouncing back.
Don't dwell on the past, its a new day and look ahead, yesterday what ever it entailed was yesterday. I am sure you we both know what made us drink when we did. I think you have shown strength by jumping onboard so quickly again. Keep going.

Congrats Looking!!!!!!!! In my experience the real work starts after day 30. This is my third attempt to pass a day that starts with a 4, such as 40....I believe I can do it this time. I have NO cravings. I have no desire to drink, I don't reminisce about drinking. its like it doesn't even exist. Tomorrow is my partners birthday.
I am taking him out for dinner. If he wants to have a drink or 3 he can. I doubt he will as he has not drunk since I quit, at least at home. I would like to add that he is not an alcoholic but a normal drinker.
Myself I have simply lost the taste for it. It seems very odd. Its like when I used to smoke. I don't even think of smoking/ cigarettes ever any longer. Is this a normal thing or just a phase? Whatever it is I like the present.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Sydneyman, I am definitely looking foward. I figured out I will have 40 days by Christmas That's a milestone!

You are right, Winslow. My hangovers were reaching a new level of misery with each time I drank. This last one was so bad that it's hard to describe to anyone. At one point I looked in the mirror and scared myself. I looked like death warmed over. Alcohol is not my friend.

I had a stressful day today. Stress both at work and at home. Still working on ways to deal with the stress better. Drinking wasn't a good way to handle things.

Oh, day 2 is soooooooo much better than day1!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sydneyman View Post
Myself I have simply lost the taste for it. It seems very odd. Its like when I used to smoke. I don't even think of smoking/ cigarettes ever any longer. Is this a normal thing or just a phase? Whatever it is I like the present.
I agree sydneyman. I think it's about 3 weeks now that I haven't entertained the thought of drinking. I've actually wondered what's wrong with me. I thought I should be struggling more. I'm glad that I'm not, and I'll enjoy that for as long as it lasts. It dawned on me today that not struggling doesn't mean there's something wrong with me because there's no hard and fast "right" way to stay sober. Take what works and run with it!
I have had a lot going on. My car is all busted and my son and I have to move soon, and these things are going to be expensive on top of all the usual stuff. But I am oddly calm. It's almost eerie to me. I'm not freaking out and fretting like I used to, I'm just taking it in stride. Weird.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

I'm another that doesn't have much in the way of daily alcohol thoughts or desires. It been relegated or has relegated itself to a low grade memory. But, and it's a big but, I still have images of myself drinking happily at some future time. I'm having trouble with meshing my consciousness with the the reality of an eternity of not drinking, even now.

When I started here my simplest desire was to just give myself a rest from drinking and its damage. I even kind of thought I might drink on certain occasions if the planets aligned. The planets did align and I chose, it really was a choice, not to drink. Being quite pig-headed I truly believe that breaking my sobriety will be as difficult as getting sober was. Long may it continue.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
I truly believe that breaking my sobriety will be as difficult as getting sober was. Long may it continue.
I really like that, Midton : )
Old 11-17-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Congratulations Looking4! 30 days is an accomplishment!
Congraulations Juno, for sticking with it and not giving up! That is an accomplishment for sure. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...k_Emoticon.gif

Last night I had my first drinking dream since starting sobriety. Fortunately I woke up and it was just a dream, but it reminds me of how the desire is not too far from the surface.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Hey all,Bunny I had a drinkin dream last night too but I wasn't drinking the people around me were and they were pestering me to drink,hate that,doing good on day 26,my Rational Recovery book came yesterday so been reading that,trying to keep a positive mindset most days and if a drink thought wafts in I crush it before it takes hold,I really am done drinking, hope everyone enjoys their Wednesday😊
Old 11-18-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Day 12... Good morning from Sydney gang.. Not much to report from here today. Glorious early summer hot weather for us here. It is nice to experience this sober.
I am not finding going to work or being at work such a chore anymore. Have not taken one sick day since 6 October, VERY unusual for me. Hope my performance reviews will improve as well = more $$.
Have a fab day/evening!!
Old 11-18-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

I also don't have much to report. Day 3. Very tired and mid- week so trudging along here. Can't wait for a break next week - Thanksgiving. Also need to get workouts back on track. Okay, just wanted to say hi!
Old 11-18-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

Hey, I hadn't looked at this thread on a few days and I just caught up.

Juno, way to GO getting right back on. Feeling scared and disappointed in yourself right after drinking is a very reasonable fear reaction to having done something potentially dangerous, so good on you for having that reaction ... I didn't on October 25 when I drank again. I had myself convinced for almost three whole days, during which I drank twice, that I was okay to drink again if I wanted to. Then that third time drinking came around even though I didn't want it to, and suddenly I knew I was back in the undertow. Looks like you may have avoided being pulled back into the undertow by getting out early.

Morton and grizzly, that's so great, that you don't think much about it. I was that way for the first like 25 days last time. Not this time tho. I wish I'd hung on to that.

As for me, today is day 20. Tomorrow is three weeks, that feels important, I've heard it said that three weeks is around when some people's brains stop screaming. And mine has, mostly, since this past weekend actually. I feel now sort of like there are easy periods and hard periods, and my biggest need is to keep up doing work to stay sober during the easy periods, so that I have the right habits, attitudes, and mindsets when it gets hard again. For me personally, maybe because of how high my intake was at the end, this seems never to stay easy for long :/ It goes back and forth.

But today is an easy day sobriety-wise.

Now if I could just find the motivation to decide what to do with the rest of my life, or even just to get a real job, I would be on track to be a real human again some day. Ha ......
Old 11-18-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Hi yall! Not a whole lot going on for me today either. I had a 10 hour work day, but I still have the energy to run. That's a big change for me. Wednesdays are my longest day at work, and usually when I get home from that, I am just done, I don't want to do anything. But I've got quite a bit of energy today. Getting my energy back has definitely been a gradual thing. A lot of things have been gradual, and I don't realize they're happening while they're happening. Now at almost 2 months though, I can look back and see big changes. Yay! Alright, off for my run. Keep up the great work gang!
Old 11-18-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Good going grizzly.. Me 2 walking like a maniac. I really enjoy putting my headphones on and going for my 1 hour walk.. Love it..and look forward to it everyday at work. Used to be my cask wine that I was longing for, makes me feel yuk now...great how things can change when you really want it to..
Old 11-18-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

I think I'm going to go back to drinking. I'm pretty smart and resourceful, so I believe I can figure out a way to drink safely.

Thanks to everyone for your help, and good luck with your sober journeys; this really is a great group of people. But I've come to realize I just don't feel like giving up booze at this time.

Don't worry, I'm not planning on drinking right now, or even in the next week or so, but I'm putting alcohol back on the menu in case I decide I want to indulge. I think I'm just a born hedonist, free-spirit and iconoclast, and trying to be a fine, upstanding citizen is something I really don't want to be.

Whew, honestly, I feel much better already. Sobriety was felt like I was carrying around an extra 50 pounds.

Peace.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  
Administrator

I find myself wishing that you're doing an exercise here on how to recognise AV or something....

but I'll take it as face value.

I'm really sorry to hear that Time2Rise. I hope you change your mind.
The transition period is really hard.

I remember lots of times I fought with that burden of the extra 50 pounds, completely forgetting the 250 pounds I used to carry around that my drinking gave me.

In time that 'load' you feel will lighten and disappear completely - you just need a little time and patience...and faith that I'm not BSing you.

I'm not btw

Whew, honestly, I feel much better already
That's cos your inner addict, AV, addiction - whatever you want to call it feels it's won and its let go and relaxed. It was fighting for its life and now it feels secure.

I'm pretty smart and resourceful, so I believe I can figure out a way to drink safely.
said everybody ever who ever joined SR and decided to go back out. Honestly.

If I had a buck for the times I've read that here, or even simply for the times I said it, I'd be a millionaire.

I think I'm just a born hedonist, free-spirit and iconoclast, and trying to be a fine, upstanding citizen is something I really don't want to be.
If you really think that, that's fine.

Do it sober.

I hope you feel differently about this tomorrow. Maybe re-read some old posts here that document your struggle.

Going back to drinking will just bring you back here - and that's if you're lucky T2R.

D