Notices

(N ot So) CNew Franks Thread Part 7

Old 12-17-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Aw, shucks, thanks, Advbike.

I've got a lot to be grateful for when it comes to SR and friendships. In late May of 2014, I was dealing with a difficult chapter in my life when my life got a lot more difficult. I picked up the phone one morning to learn that my father had died unexpectedly during the middle of the night.

As fate would have it, one of my SR friends came to the city where I live for a conference two weeks after Dad died. (She is sober and doing great and pops in from time to time. We stay in touch outside of SR, too.) About 10 days after that, I headed to a conference Oregon, where Adv was living while preparing to transition to his life in Asia.

I was still kind of shell-shocked when I got to meet two of my good friends from SR. Although I didn't feel like my sobriety was imperiled, it was such a difficult time and I will always consider it a great blessing to have had time with supportive friends, especially since they are people with whom I got sober. The timing of our meetings remains uncanny to me.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Oh, Shabby, I think I may have left the story unfinished. I do have Springsteen tickets! I think it has something to do with the fact that my Safari browser is out of date. Once I switched over to my phone, I had tickets fast!
Old 12-17-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

In other words he effectively murdered people for money. I haven't heard of him but no, it doesn't sound like any sympathy should be extended toward him.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hey, that's awesome :-D
Old 12-17-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
In other words he effectively murdered people for money. I haven't heard of him but no, it doesn't sound like any sympathy should be extended toward him.
He lowers scumbaghood to a new low.

I continue to wait for one single person to do time for the economic crisis that sprung out of the mortgages/lending debacle here. I think I'll have a long wait.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

You handled your father's death with grace, and strength V. It was a tough time for you. Meanwhile I was in the process of digging a very large hole.. lol..
Old 12-17-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Well, a sound engineer would know. My brother lent me the SD bio recently...I think it's called 'Reelin' In the Years' I'd just given him the Elvis Costello autobiography for his birthday because he's a huuuuuge fan. I don't know if I'll read it though. Might be a bit full on for me.

I love the bass, especially when people aren't so simplistic with it and think of it more as a contrapuntal instrument. I tried it for a while in my late 20's. I think I had some aptitude but no commitment. Played the piano when I was young but only classical.

I imagine you love the bass too, Sao, if you loved Earth Wind and Fire. Man, they must have been *amazing*!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:31 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Administrator

Steely Dan - hmmmm...apart from the first album I never got into it.
Don't hurt me LOL

D
Old 12-18-2015, 01:21 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Nah, I hear you, Dee. I think they became a little bit over-produced or something. I still admire their musicianship though.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Ven - that must have been a moment of glory alright!!! Primo part to play! I've heard it's very difficult to get a good tone on the flute. I love wind and brass instruments. I'd really love to learn the trumpet but I suspect I would get stressed about running out of air all the time. I dunno. Maybe it doesn't work like that.

Our school had an old harpsichord for a while for some reason, and my piano teacher who was the music teacher at school forced me to play some Bach or something on it at a school assembly. I was terrified and completely mucked one part of it up. God, it was traumatic :-/

Old 12-18-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
Well, a sound engineer would know. My brother lent me the SD bio recently...I think it's called 'Reelin' In the Years' I'd just given him the Elvis Costello autobiography for his birthday because he's a huuuuuge fan. I don't know if I'll read it though. Might be a bit full on for me.

I love the bass, especially when people aren't so simplistic with it and think of it more as a contrapuntal instrument. I tried it for a while in my late 20's. I think I had some aptitude but no commitment. Played the piano when I was young but only classical.

I imagine you love the bass too, Sao, if you loved Earth Wind and Fire. Man, they must have been *amazing*!
Mind reader Tooshabby - I own a very old Columbus copy. Robbie Shakespeare and Bernard Edwards my two favourite bass players. I am not a very good player but everyone else wanted to be lead guitar when I was an adolescent boy. Plus Disco bass lines are hard

That song Windy by the Association used to be the theme to a short, post news programme - I never knew it was recorded by someone

That pharmaceuticals guy was shown on TV here as well last night - he looked full of himself

I am at my Sister/BIL'S restaurant but not busy - ain't no one buying coffee tonight lol!
Old 12-18-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Mary Berry's Pavlova did look good, might see if I can find something similar later though my Sis is a monster when it comes to guarding the food
Old 12-20-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Sao, the mention of the pavlova reminded me of the infamous Half-Freddie. Or Half-Fredo.

Hey, guys, I've got a fun one for you. Below, I'm linking a Saturday Night Live round-up of last night's episode. Scroll down just a bit and you can find the entire skit of Hillary 2015 meeting some folks from her past while dreaming. It's a stitch!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...%2Fin-the-news
Old 12-20-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Yah, that SNL Skit was mighty funny! Tina Fey nails it...

This aging Bass Player customized a Music Man Bass; Leo Fender's Company after he sold Fender to CBS.

Mark King is a monster Player I had the good fortune to see live when Level 42 opened for Steve Winwood. This Tune puts a smile on my Face every time...

- 'Something About You' ~ Level 42 - Live -
Old 12-20-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Mesa, I had a hard time getting that vid to load for some reason.

Am I correct in guessing Steve Winwood puts on a good show? His "Valerie" is a favorite of mine.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Yah, a fantastic Show. A Veteran among Veterans.

His ending Solo just knocks me out. Sounds like snapping Icicles to me. Crisp! Also, a fine Sobriety Message from a very Positive Gent...

-'Take It As It Comes' ~ Steve Winwood -
Old 12-20-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Wow, that must have been an amazing concert!Wicked bass playing in level 42.

Rats, Ven - it's saying it won't play that video in my country :-/ Can't find it on youtube either. It might turn up in a few days, perhaps.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

I've hit this same 'Not Available In Your Area' Wall in other Int'l Groups. It appears as if our Broadcaster NBC - who originates Saturday Night Live - holds very tight reins on their Playback/Copyright details: U.S.-only.

The same - but in inverse direction - has happened to me on some U.K.-based Vid Material put up by Pals there: I can't watch it. FYI, in case it helps Folks here, some Vevo Vids on You Tube act the same when I put them up for Int'l Pals. Un-watchable by them...
Old 12-22-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
saoutchik

They were both very good weren't they. Both were in the UK a couple of weeks ago to promote. Sisters opened the same day as some other film set many years ago in a galaxy far far away

I have seen Level 42 - they were terrific, it was a dump of a venue too but it was small, even though it would have been at the height of their fame. Mark King has a most distinctive style of playing.

I have had a few if those "not in your country" notices - I have usually been able to call it up from somewhere though
Old 12-22-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I was very much drawn to Eric Prydz's video of Valerie which got to number 1 in the UK. I wonder why?