Notices

Class of August 2015 Part 7

Old 11-13-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Hah! Had to google Media Crema! Don't think I have ever seen it in the store! Half and half in a can, interesting and sounds yum!
Old 11-13-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

My personal responsibility is a learned behavior for sure. It's hard to keep yourself accountable. Ultimately it is us that control how we do everything. Outside circumstances will happen of course, but how we approach it and our role in it will help or hinder the outcome so much of the time...
Trust me I preach it better than I live it. It helps me so much to tell you guys this stuff. It also tells myself. I do it as much for me as I do you...Lol
See there's my selfish, "only child syndrome" (as I call it) coming out on top for a win again! Lol (It's all for me not really you...sheesh)!
Old 11-13-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Hello August Class

I'm pretty much a stranger here now, but do still consider myself a member of the August class. I hope everyone is doing well. As was mentioned in a previous post, the number of names from the August class has certainly diminished, but am proud to see those of us that are still here and fighting (I wish the best for those who are not still with us and hope they are still sober).

I am going on day 90, and have been humbled by the challenges of sobriety - even on the worst of days it's still so much better than where I was when drinking. I do try to keep up with everyone - for me I have just found myself being more active on the Sober Recovery chat, and with the weekly meetings. I'm sure everyone is aware of the meetings, but in case you are not they are held every Tuesday and Friday at 9:00 pm EST. There is a good group of people there and they have helped me immensely if anyone wants to check them out.

Good luck to everyone and take care.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Hopeful

D
Old 11-13-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congrats Hopeful

D
Thank you Dee I do appreciate it - I will say it has been the longest 89 I can remember! I do prefer being able to remember them all as opposed to having that be just a blurred 3 months of my life. Take care.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Don't be a stranger Hopeful! Congrats to you too!
Old 11-13-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you Hopeful. I hope everyone who no longer posts has found a sober home in some other forum or in a group somewhere. Your post really encourages me to believe so!
Old 11-14-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Morning everyone! Have a safe sober Saturday!
((Hug))!
Starting my Christmas shopping today. It's coming whether we are ready or not. Wish it would go back to the real meaning of Christmas. I try to tell my family we should quit buying gifts and just have dinner and the gift being fellowship, not material things. Too much association with "things".
Old 11-14-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Hi Augustables! Great to hear from you Hopeful! Congrats on your 90!!

Key, I agree with you. Christmas is what you make of it. I like to think of it as the biggest birthday party of the year. Everybody is invited. Sometimes people buy a gift, show up to the party and wisper to the dude standing next to them, "Wait, whose birthday is it?" I'm just glad that person came to the party. I do like to use the season as a time to teach about giving to others, especially those you feel are in need. When my kids were babies I started a tradition that we continue to this day: every Christmas Eve we have a fancy dinner with a birthday cake. We light the candles and sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. My favorite night of the year.

Sending out lots of prayers for those in France. Peace
Old 11-14-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Glad to hear from you hopeful and congrats on 90...that's awesome!
I think I am at 81 days??? That's the longest I have been in a while.

I have started my holiday shopping as well, but I agree it has gotten out of control with the gifts. I would rather enjoy the people in my life

Have a great Saturday evening xo
Old 11-14-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

I like Benice's concept of making Christmas what you want.

I actually like having a big party around the darkest time of the year: however, I pretty much had to boycott my family Christmases until they stopped going so overboard on gifts. This makes me feel like a jerk to say this but it really got to me. I don't mind people giving and receiving gifts I just didn't want to be part of it.

I'm having a rough one. I think I have a relatively easy life but sometimes little things will make me sad and affect me so much more than seems logical. I get disgusted with myself.

Anyhow here is the good stuff of the day:

Got mom out of the nursing home and made her sit down to lunch with us. She doesn't really eat but LOVES singing grace before a meal. Not too much else makes her smile.

Brought my nephew to my Dad's apartment. We are at the pool and he has constructed a raft out of various pool floaties. He plays happily by himself in the pool and is a perfect nine-year-old.

I found a store that sells used furniture. The prices were great and it had a lot of wonderful furniture. Talking to the manager and her teenage son, I found out it was a nonprofit raising money for single moms.

So sad for what happened in France and redoubling the effort to make good things happen in my own world. Thanks to all of you who are doing the same thing in whatever situation you live!
Old 11-15-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Congrats Lovehoops! 81 is great!!!

Hope all are staying "strong enough" and finding the sunshine. I just read an idea that may help. Put a yoga mat on the floor right next to your bed. When you are struggling to get up, roll out of bed and do some stretches and sit ups. I actually have a yoga mat in the basement. (A left over from one of my kids .) Think I'll try this!

It's Sunday...off to church.

Have a great day.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

How's everyone doing?
Old 11-15-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

I'm just resting and watching tv. How bout you Patrcia? I think you're hanging in there!
Old 11-15-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

I was attacked yesterday. Verbally... Mentally not physically. But attacked nonetheless. I got so shook up, I resorted to booze for comfort. All I got was a headache. I don't feel bad today. I will begin again. "A healthy attitude is contagious but don't wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier."~Tom Stoppard
Old 11-15-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Yes I'm doing a little better today Key. I think I actually crave anxiety medication more than I crave alcohol I'm seeing my doctor on Friday. Might be time for a new medication or wean off altogether, we'll see.

I am so sorry Clownbaby! That had to be awful! Begin again, we are here for you!
Old 11-15-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that happened clownbaby - but remember we're here - its much better to come here and vent than it is to drink.

D
Old 11-15-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Patricia thanks for hanging tough. I am so praying for you.

Irk Clownbaby, that is so hard. Thanks for coming back.

My day was better. Had a nephew spend the night. Lovely to wake up to his soft snores in the trundle bed next to me.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Sorry Clown! Bekind, sounds lovely, I so enjoyed my nephew at that age patricia, sounds like you made it through a few days? Hopeful, congrats, nice to see you! Hope all others in class of August hanging in !

I slipped with a couple glasses of wine Friday, no excuses, it was reactionary Won't call it a relapse,
in a weird way it solidified my commitment to sobriety. Didnt taste great, got achey joints and stuffy nose, swollen eyes, headache, anxiety. My body was saying yuck, at far less wine than I used to drink. I wasn't testing anything, but good to know my body is revolted by it now too! Not minimizing or recommend this by any means, but I am moving onwards and upwards ! Going to tell my oldest friend who I am visiting next week I am not drinking in advance. I still don't share I have a drinking problem, but saying I have a bad reaction to it will suffice, it's true! A couple other friends I have socialized with have responded with "how sad". I am not sad about it; thinking back how my life was drinking is what's sad.

Chilly and windy here, we have weather. Usually one season all year so it's exciting. Next week I will be in snow, no clue how to dress.

Dee, do you have 4 distinct seasons weather wise? Was in Cairns during your fall, a big rain and wind storm blew in. Loved it, ran around outside while everyone ran in. Nicest people in Australia, truly.

Off to work!
Old 11-16-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clownbaby View Post
I was attacked yesterday. Verbally... Mentally not physically. But attacked nonetheless. I got so shook up, I resorted to booze for comfort. All I got was a headache. I don't feel bad today. I will begin again. "A healthy attitude is contagious but don't wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier."~Tom Stoppard
Meaningful quote to a bad situation, good on you for moving back on course. Must have been scary