Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 21

Old 10-25-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I know Leigh. I'm experimenting tonight!

I took this pic off a matchbox car my son was playing with and altered it a bit. The bird symbolizes a lot I say. Trying to fit it in here to my liking. May take a bit...please stand by...
Old 10-25-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
I know Leigh. I'm experimenting tonight!
It's cool. I usually see avatars before I see names - I'm not sure what that says about my brain.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Arbor I like the avatar. Just don't be one of those irritating people who change theirs every week *wink*

Busy day, almost 26k steps. Almost 3 "active" hours. Did my Sunday walk, a crap ton of chores, and a couple hours walking the creek with my daughter. Aside from a massive tantrum when she couldn't get one of her games to work, it was a pretty good day.

Yep, those door stops are pretty entertaining. Sometimes I think about how my daughter has so much stuff to entertain her, yet she still bitches that she's bored. When I was a kid, I had a small fraction of the stuff she has, and I had a blast with it. But I'm sure my folks said the same about me.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Well, my parents never heard us say we were bored....we played games. All sorts of board games, card games, spy games outside (motivated by the school shoes that came with the compass in the heels). We coloured, we drew, and we dressed up and played pretend, we climbed trees and we played totem tennis. And a million other things.

Bored?

And if I sound old right now, sorry. It drives me crazy how people spend so much time with their gadgets now instead of actually living.

Rant over.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Good morning and evening! I indulged in a huge bowl of Icecream before bed and had the wildest dreams, trying to solve the world's problems all night. Bring it on, Monday!
Old 10-26-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I think kids just say stuff half the time not knowing what it is their actually saying. One can get caught up in the romance of simple times of the past. I could go on to say that my kid doesn't use such devices, but it doesn't matter. On with the times!

Have a great Monday team.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Often I am thankful that I grew up in a simpler time. Here's to Monday!
Old 10-26-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

My sin is a big one for complaining about being bored, because he only wants to play games on his ipod or the Wii, etc... I took it away for a couple of days this weekend, because he just grabs it whenever he wants. It really should be that he asks, and the time is monitored. It dies get hard to police, because he has all his music on it, and listening to music is not the same as gaming, and also not the same was watching a show. I force a good amount of outside time. Nothing like fresh air. Oh, the dog has been good for getting the kids outside too! Bored? Dog always wants to go out!
Old 10-26-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Arbor I like the avatar. Just don't be one of those irritating people who change theirs every week *wink*
Oh I've noticed Briar that's your deal. Seems like everything is skull themed. Is that because of Halloween or do you just like skulls? (I know people that do).
Old 10-26-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I haven't posted here much so no one really knows me. I am on day 41 today. I managed to get out and walk this morning. A beautiful morning for a walk.

I don't don't have the ability to concentrate long enough to read every post, just the ones on this page. Sorry for that. So how is it everyone here has kept sober? I have gone to 4 AA meetings in 41 days. I haven't been in a few weeks. I am happy to be sober but not sure how long it will last. Just looking to hear how others stay sober here.

Thanks. Enjoy your Monday.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Arbor it's my Halloween theme. I do like skulls, but I feel like this is more the socially appropriate time for them.

Very weird thing happened a minute ago. I called a secretary at a law firm to schedule a court date. We know each other from occasional chit chat, so we got to talking. He knows nothing of my personal life. He asked if I know a particular probation officer, Mike, as I also have contact with that agency. I do, both from work and from AA. He told me that Mike died over the weekend. I was stunned and immediately wondered if it was from drinking. Then the secretary said quietly, "I hope it wasn't the disease, but you know how it is - insidious." I just kind of melted and said "I know."

So now I'm feeling a bit heartbroken over poor Mike, and also a little confused as to why the secretary said that to me like he knew I'd know what he was talking about. I've never met him in person as far as I recall, so I don't think he knows what I look like. But I guess it's possible that he does and saw me at a meeting somewhere...or maybe he just said it for his own reasons and I shouldn't read too far into it.

In any event, RIP Mike.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Well, my parents never heard us say we were bored....we played games. All sorts of board games, card games, spy games outside (motivated by the school shoes that came with the compass in the heels). We coloured, we drew, and we dressed up and played pretend, we climbed trees and we played totem tennis. And a million other things.

Bored?

And if I sound old right now, sorry. It drives me crazy how people spend so much time with their gadgets now instead of actually living.

Rant over.
Shoes with compasses in their heels!!!??? Never heard of that but really, really cool.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Arbor it's my Halloween theme. I do like skulls, but I feel like this is more the socially appropriate time for them.

Very weird thing happened a minute ago. I called a secretary at a law firm to schedule a court date. We know each other from occasional chit chat, so we got to talking. He knows nothing of my personal life. He asked if I know a particular probation officer, Mike, as I also have contact with that agency. I do, both from work and from AA. He told me that Mike died over the weekend. I was stunned and immediately wondered if it was from drinking. Then the secretary said quietly, "I hope it wasn't the disease, but you know how it is - insidious." I just kind of melted and said "I know."

So now I'm feeling a bit heartbroken over poor Mike, and also a little confused as to why the secretary said that to me like he knew I'd know what he was talking about. I've never met him in person as far as I recall, so I don't think he knows what I look like. But I guess it's possible that he does and saw me at a meeting somewhere...or maybe he just said it for his own reasons and I shouldn't read too far into it.

In any event, RIP Mike.
Briar, I have a feeling that the person with whom you spoke thought that you knew about Mike's alcoholism or that he was alluding to his own issues.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Memra View Post
Hi everyone. I haven't posted here much so no one really knows me. I am on day 41 today. I managed to get out and walk this morning. A beautiful morning for a walk.

I don't don't have the ability to concentrate long enough to read every post, just the ones on this page. Sorry for that. So how is it everyone here has kept sober? I have gone to 4 AA meetings in 41 days. I haven't been in a few weeks. I am happy to be sober but not sure how long it will last. Just looking to hear how others stay sober here.

Hi, Memra. Congratulations on Day 41; that's fantastic.

This is a fabulous Class with many wise people - very happy that found us.

SR has been my only source of support. I find that it works best if you visit very frequently and read and post and respond to posts.

Joining a Class is a great idea. I hope that you stick around this Class.

You might also want to consider joining the Class of October 2014 where you will find people who are 'where' you are at this point in your sobriety.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I agree with Leigh, Briar. And I'm sorry to hear about that.

Hi Memra, We all have very different stories and strategies in our group. One thing that IS the same... We post here almost daily. Keep up the great work!
Old 10-26-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Memra View Post

P.S. - I had a really hard time focusing in early sobriety, too. I had significant brain-fog. Even driving was problematic; I had to constantly tell myself to pay attention and focus.

I remember fearing that I had done permanent damage. Don't worry; it does and will clear-up; the amount of time seems to vary from person to person.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Memra - you're doing great. The brain fog does lift, for me it took a couple months. It was also an emotional roller coaster. I look back at those first couple months and don't even know myself, I was such a mess. I went through formal treatment and AA for three months, so that helped keep me focused long enough for sobriety to feel normal. From there every day has been about getting to know myself and figure out how to live with who I am. You can do this, and life is so much better when you aren't trapped by addiction.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Briar, I have a feeling that the person with whom you spoke thought that you knew about Mike's alcoholism or that he was alluding to his own issues.
That's a real good point Leigh. That secretary could possibly be quite concerned with himself more than anything. Who knows, maybe Mike passed away from something else. I wouldn't read too much into it Briar.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Late day for me and still have a workout on the agenda... It sounded like such a great idea this morning. Now? Hmmmm...not so much. Lol

Great reminders, Briar and Leigh. This time last year, I'd be laughing one hour, crying the next, and then apologizing the next to friends for having them repeat whatever they had just said because I was losing my train of thought so easily. It definitely does get better.

I'd better get my nikes on before I totally change my mind and commit to the couch. Enjoy your evenings/mornings!
Old 10-26-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Welcome, Memra!

So sorry about your acquaintance, Briar.

Busy evening. Driving kids here and there, and I was just starving. So hard to do the specific eating thing on nights like this. I improvised because I had a large amount of leftover sauce and meatballs. Lean turkey meatballs with 1/2 oats, 1/2 breadcrumbs, and had 1/2 spaghetti squash, 1/2 angel hair. But I had a larger quantity that I should, for sure. Easing into it. Not a bad dinner after all.