Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 9

Old 11-18-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Amp, that was absolutely beautiful, thank you for sharing.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Congratulations ANGIE!
Old 11-18-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
OMD

Hi all,
Sorry I have been absent, even though I have been with you in spirit. Been totally manic, but in a good way. SR has absolutely been the fundamental difference for me too, and for that, and for this group, I shall always be grateful. I can't honestly say that I have had an epiphany but I can truthfully say that my life is so much better now, on every level. There is no way I am going back to those dark times. I don't want to. Maybe that is an epiphany after all.

I am so pleased to see everyone doing well

Best wishes
OMD
Old 11-18-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear from you OMD

D
Old 11-19-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  
OMD

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
good to hear from you OMD

D
Thank you very much! So I had a rematch today with the person I had had lunch with before who insisted I be poured a wine. This time there were some other people present so I was able to refuse a drink. He did a double take but my colleague had some wine, which helped.

Let's keep on trucking!

Best wishes
OMD
Old 11-19-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

OMD, isn't that absolutely insane? I mean, having to feel pressured to drink with a client. I can't imagine the type of work that would make that even a requirement of the job, unless you are in the wine business. It's a weird world we live in that business and drinking go hand in hand. I guess that is why people just look at drinking as a fact of life, but for many, it's a downfall.

I have been absent on these boards as of late as well, and I am going to make an effort to keep my presence here. SR has helped me so much too! I would not be sitting here if wasn't for this group, I know that to be true.

Today, I am in my pj's slogging through some online training videos. It's incredibly windy, cold and snowing outside. Winter has arrived with a vengeance today, and I have no intention on getting out of my warm and fuzzy pjs. One of the perks of working from home that I won't give up for anything!

I have no intention to ever drink again, not now, not tonight, not tomorrow, not ever! It's a good feeling to finally get that idea through my stubborn skull. If I can do it, anyone can!
Old 11-19-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Good to see ya Guys. Let's keep the train rolling. Life moves on. Just can't forget we're alcoholics....always.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Good morning all!

Very busy "day off" ahead. Glad to be doing it sober.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Hey guys!

SG, congratulations on seven months!

Amp, great post on how being sober has changed you. Very inspiring. I had a glimpse of those same feelings and I'm working hard to get back to that.

Inc, OMD and Cauliflower, I'm glad to hear you are well. OMD, I'm glad you were able to get through that lunch without being forced to drink. That is powerful!

I'm doing well. Checking and keeping up with the November class. No depressed feelings which I am so grateful for. Thank you guys for being here Take care!
Old 11-20-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Yeah Swim!! Good to see you!
Old 11-20-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good weekend guys

D
Old 11-20-2015, 11:36 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! Nice to see you Swim!

Also wishing you all a good weekend. It's my wife's birthday and our kids are staying with friends and she and I are heading up to Seville for a night away! Exciting!!

I went to a friend's book launch yesterday and there were drinks after. Well, I say drinks but actually it was drink. 3 kinds of wine! Felt conspicuous turning this down on four different occasions. Also it was really hot in the bookshop basement and after the reglamentary handful of peanuts I was parched!! You get used to people not thinking much about non-drinkers but when you can't even get a glass of water it's not good!! Mostly I have the sensation that things are swinging a bit towards sober. More and more people not drinking and so on, but this was clearly conspicuous by its absence yesterday!!! Oh well!!!

Take care, all!
Old 11-21-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Geeze...no water. Now that's not right. Sounds like a nice night though. Probably would have been better if you weren't parched!

So this week has been amazing on insurance sales. I've had a few referrals that resulted in a couple big sales. One of them hasn't come through on a payment source yet. It's a guy with Parkinson's and his sister is in charge of his account. They're deciding to pay for the year all at once or go monthly. I'm hoping for the year so I can get all my commission at once.

The funny thing is....
I had met this lady who inquired about life insurance. She couldn't do anything until January. So she continues to explain she's a pastor and has a doctorate in therapy / life coach. She offered my a gift since I came out to see her. She asked me what was the one thing I wanted the most. Took a min then answered "peace of mind." She asked me how can I get that. I answered through reconciliation. She smiled and said to follow her.

She took me to a common room at the senior center she lived in. Then said we were going to pray. She wanted me to pray first then she would pray after. It was awkward...but we chatted for a minute then we prayed.

Now when she prayed for me, her prayer revolved around money. Bare in mind, I did not pray about money at all. Even though that was on my mind the most. Maybe there was some things I said that she picked up on? I certainly didn't want a potential client to think I have money issues.

When that was all done, she gave me a book she just finished reading then gave me with a roll of quarters. She said that God will provide if I let him.

Was strange to say the least. But was also moving. I'm 100% sure she was tripping on something too has her eyes were ALL pupil. Mushrooms or some other psychedelic. Also based on how she behaved. Maybe...just maybe there was a prescribed Med she's on that causes that....but I have yet to run across meds that do that after selling to seniors for the past year.

Ever since that day I have talked to God more. I also had a chance to meet a normal pastor at his church as well as a beacon from a new church here in town. All through insurance sales...which has been going MUCH better ever since I got the roll of quarters!!!

Seems like God is trying his darnedest to reach me.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
Thanks Dee! Nice to see you Swim!

Mostly I have the sensation that things are swinging a bit towards sober. More and more people not drinking and so on,

Take care, all!
I agree, that at least in the US, there is a slowly growing awareness of the dangers of alcohol. Perhaps it will go the same route as cigarette smoking. Something that everyone of a certain age used to do, now just a smaller minority. I still can remember tv commercials when I was a kid encouraging drinkers to "have one for the road" and "when you are having more than one." Now every ad is please drink responsibly. I think the major players are afraid of getting sued to death.

It seems the drinking culture might be different in Europe, perhaps kids are taught to drink responsibly more so than in the US?

Maybe you are the face of the new Europe, Amp!
Old 11-21-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
Geeze...no water. Now that's not right. Sounds like a nice night though. Probably would have been better if you weren't parched!

So this week has been amazing on insurance sales. I've had a few referrals that resulted in a couple big sales. One of them hasn't come through on a payment source yet. It's a guy with Parkinson's and his sister is in charge of his account. They're deciding to pay for the year all at once or go monthly. I'm hoping for the year so I can get all my commission at once.

The funny thing is....
I had met this lady who inquired about life insurance. She couldn't do anything until January. So she continues to explain she's a pastor and has a doctorate in therapy / life coach. She offered my a gift since I came out to see her. She asked me what was the one thing I wanted the most. Took a min then answered "peace of mind." She asked me how can I get that. I answered through reconciliation. She smiled and said to follow her.

She took me to a common room at the senior center she lived in. Then said we were going to pray. She wanted me to pray first then she would pray after. It was awkward...but we chatted for a minute then we prayed.

Now when she prayed for me, her prayer revolved around money. Bare in mind, I did not pray about money at all. Even though that was on my mind the most. Maybe there was some things I said that she picked up on? I certainly didn't want a potential client to think I have money issues.

When that was all done, she gave me a book she just finished reading then gave me with a roll of quarters. She said that God will provide if I let him.

Was strange to say the least. But was also moving. I'm 100% sure she was tripping on something too has her eyes were ALL pupil. Mushrooms or some other psychedelic. Also based on how she behaved. Maybe...just maybe there was a prescribed Med she's on that causes that....but I have yet to run across meds that do that after selling to seniors for the past year.

Ever since that day I have talked to God more. I also had a chance to meet a normal pastor at his church as well as a beacon from a new church here in town. All through insurance sales...which has been going MUCH better ever since I got the roll of quarters!!!

Seems like God is trying his darnedest to reach me.
Great story Inc! I remember reading in college that the medical community in the 1950's and 60's were experimenting with using psychedelics as a cure for alcoholism. Never helped me, but who knows. Don't ever spend that roll of quarters!
Old 11-21-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by SwimKim12 View Post
Hey guys!

SG, congratulations on seven months!

Amp, great post on how being sober has changed you. Very inspiring. I had a glimpse of those same feelings and I'm working hard to get back to that.

Inc, OMD and Cauliflower, I'm glad to hear you are well. OMD, I'm glad you were able to get through that lunch without being forced to drink. That is powerful!

I'm doing well. Checking and keeping up with the November class. No depressed feelings which I am so grateful for. Thank you guys for being here Take care!
Great to see you Swim! Glad you are doing well!
Old 11-21-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for not being as active on the boards. I'm still hanging in there. Will be 7 months sober in a few days. The thought of drinking came up today. The craving lasted for almost an hour and I'm ashamed to say that I didn't do much to get over it quickly, just obsessed over alcohol and wanting it. I guess I like torturing myself. It's very quiet in my house. Alex is with his dad and Elvis is looking out the window. Morris really likes being an outside cat but he comes in sometimes too. I suppose I can feel good that I didn't drink. Was thinking about going to a meeting but I decided not to do it. I'm grateful to feel tired. Tomorrow morning, I will pick up my son in my new car that he loves and I won't have a hangover. Glad to see everyone doing well. This is a great group,
Old 11-22-2015, 12:51 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post

I agree, that at least in the US, there is a slowly growing awareness of the dangers of alcohol. Perhaps it will go the same route as cigarette smoking. Something that everyone of a certain age used to do, now just a smaller minority. I still can remember tv commercials when I was a kid encouraging drinkers to "have one for the road" and "when you are having more than one." Now every ad is please drink responsibly. I think the major players are afraid of getting sued to death.

It seems the drinking culture might be different in Europe, perhaps kids are taught to drink responsibly more so than in the US?

Maybe you are the face of the new Europe, Amp!
Not sure about that!! Everyone has their own experience but round my way it all started with beer and cider in the park at 14 or 15. My mum's partner at that time was a heavy duty alcoholic too and he really encouraged my brother and I to get involved!! Thinking about it there was a sad inevitability about how things escalated for me.

Where I live now in Spain there is more responsible drinking going on but when people go out they really get tanked up too. Nevertheless, it seems to be changing. It's slow though. I was thinking that maybe it will go the same way as cigarette smoking. That would be excellent, but it's a long long way from acquiring anything like a taboo status here. I think drinking is too interrelated with culture. Good wines and knowing your whiskey and craft beer. A tough nut to crack.

It was my wife's birthday last night AV was in my ear a bit but I wasn't playing ball. I've come too far to mess it up over a couple of glasses of wine!

Have a great day all!
Old 11-22-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  
OMD

Hi all!
That was an interesting post Inc. I have not really ever been religious but I think it's important to try to keep an open mind. Ultimately I suppose I have some pretty 'thin' places and occasions where the distinction between the real and the spiritual is not always apparent. Like for example sometimes when I meditate (need to keep that up) or when something meaningful happens in my life. Maybe I am religious, but there is only me in my form of religion!

Amp I hope your wife enjoyed her birthday. Seville is such a beautiful place. Just to wander around the plaza de espana at night is something in itself.

It's good to see everyone doing well. I'm ok too, having made it though my Thursday lunch!

Have a great day, whatever you're doing.

Best wishes
OMD
Old 11-22-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by Angie247 View Post
I'm sorry for not being as active on the boards. I'm still hanging in there. Will be 7 months sober in a few days. The thought of drinking came up today. The craving lasted for almost an hour and I'm ashamed to say that I didn't do much to get over it quickly, just obsessed over alcohol and wanting it. I guess I like torturing myself. It's very quiet in my house. Alex is with his dad and Elvis is looking out the window. Morris really likes being an outside cat but he comes in sometimes too. I suppose I can feel good that I didn't drink. Was thinking about going to a meeting but I decided not to do it. I'm grateful to feel tired. Tomorrow morning, I will pick up my son in my new car that he loves and I won't have a hangover. Glad to see everyone doing well. This is a great group,
Good to see you Angie! Glad to see you were able to ride the AV out! Always remember, the AV is not you, it's just the beast that is trying to get you to drink again. You are stronger than it is. The AV can't make you pick up a glass. Only you can do that and you will say NO to that voice.

Congrats on the new car! Having a car that you know will start when you put the key in the ignition is a huge weight off of your mind. I drove a series of bombs, all having over 100k, for years, and it was stressful never knowing if I was going to make it to work or able to pick family up. It's these kind of situations the AV looks for, trying to get you to give in. You showed amazing strength saying NO! Congrats!