Notices

One Year & Over Part 31

Old 10-24-2015, 10:28 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs, ooh clocks have gone back, is it really 5.19 am or was it 6.19 or should I move the clock to 4.19. I missed the change. So confusing this clock movement, lol!

Hubby has an alarm clock what always jumps or falls a day early. This has gone on for a few years with me commenting on it to various people when talking about clock changes. I found out yesterday it moves a day early cos he's got it set wrong! What's he like!

Hope it's a good Sunday.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:17 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yep the clocks went bk yesterday good morning Mags & hi D
Old 10-25-2015, 01:41 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Ha Itchy, I have been on stage. I used to do amateur dramatics and loved it. I wanted to join a local group a few years back but worked the evenings they rehearsed. It's all different now, I may look into joining somewhere again. I do love being the centre of attention, me,me,me!!!
Old 10-25-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I'm very stoked for the new Star Wars film! I was 11 when the first movie came out in 1977, so it was right in my wheelhouse. I remember going to see it twice (which is something I never did otherwise). Of course, I also loved the sequels and I thought the prequels were pretty decent too. I now own them all on DVD and can watch them anytime I feel like it.

I'm down to the final two episodes of Mad Men. Things are really wrapping up nicely. I don't know too many others that really got into the show, but I find the whole concept pretty fascinating.

Much cooler here this morning (40F). No shorts today

Have a great Sunday, gang!
Old 10-25-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Do your best

Ok so this happened: remember the cab driver who told me he's going home to drink vodka a few weeks back ? well we got a cab on our way to the shops & it was him & he started talking to me again but this time asking about shakes he asked my gf did my drinking affect her & asked me how much did I drink

I not only answered his questions I sat with him for ten minutes after & told him how scared I was how I thought I was alone how I thought I had to be strong etc I was on fire I'm not boasting but that was meant to happen I know that much, I told him AA saved my life and speaking to my Dr really helped he asked was i a home or go out drinker I said at home he said same

It was on the spot out of nowhere and I felt so calm & serene good even talking about alcoholism if that makes sense

He said he was going to go to a mtn he wasn't just saying it I explained all my fears about it & we just connected so much what I said was hitting home hard with him I could tell & then on our way home he was the cab, we seen him approaching & he looked at me like you again ?!?! I smiled

he said we should talk more etc I said sure but then he tells me he's going on holiday so I won't see him for a few weeks maybe

He told us he was 3 weeks sober he was telling me things I know he'd been bottling up and it felt right talking to him

Mrs Sw mentioned wasn't it a few weeks ago he first met you ?

I'm smiling and here's some other good news Mags your going to love this, today we thought we saw a cross ringneck dove/magpie

after researching it turns out to be a Eurasian Jay we got some pics but were just in and there's a cup of PG winking at me lol

Spk shortly guys
Old 10-25-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Wolfie, that's great that you can spread the word. Hopefully he takes your advice. I remember when I started getting the shakes, scared the hell out of me and was the start of my seriously thinking about quitting. Of course, it still took awhile before that actually happened.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

We don't put our clocks back until Nov. 1.
So I'm moving.
My landlord hit me with this "chat" he wanted to have with me the other day, where he basically told me that he feels "weird" about people he doesn't know coming in and out of his house??!! This came on the day where I had a date, and the guy came in for awhile, and met my landlord coming in. (I enter through the back door which is shared, live downstairs in the suite).
He ended up saying that he's never had a woman living in the suite before, is used to just rig workers living there, isn't used to someone having a "home" in the suite and he'll have to get used to it. I've been living there for seven months. He actually said that he's wondered "what's going on". Like implying....what? He said that he realizes I'm just an adult person living my life and he can get used to it, but, I feel really creeped out about what he said and like my privacy has been violated, and it just feels gross now basically, and I'm really pissed off at my landlord! I thought he liked me living here, I feel really insulted.
Anyway, so yesterday I went and looked at this trailer out in the country, and I took it! It's adorable, an old 1950s trailer that's been renovated, it has all the original fixtures and cute kitchen wallpaper etc., and it's in the country! So I decided to check one more thing off my bucket list which is to spend a winter living alone out in the country surrounded by nature. There's a ravine right beside it with a creek, and aspen forest all around. I'm excited. It's a bit more expensive but, I think I'll love it. It has a woodburning stove, and it's bright, and has space to paint.
So I think I'm moving soon, like by next weekend.
I feel like this is an independence move, like I'm choosing a place for myself where I'll be totally self-sufficient, not living under anyone, I've always wanted to live in the country and it seems like a big move and kind of nutty but I'm doing it for myself, to find my own space. I think being alone out there in the woods for a few months will be good for me. (I plan to move to a city in the Spring; Vancouver or maybe Winnipeg.)
Also, my landlord smokes in the house like a chimney, and even though I've taped over all the vents it still stinks and I wake up short of breath sometimes. I can smell it right now, it's so awful. So this bad thing turned into a good thing! I have to buy furniture now.....
SW that's so cool that you helped that cab driver. It's funny the random interactions that can suddenly become important.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Guys
Old 10-25-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Magsie

Evening overs

Good decision Inpar, sounds just lovely , woods around you.

Wolfie, it's almost as if the driver was looking out for you, it sounds really positive for him. I hope all goes well..... Jays are beautiful., they're usually in pairs, if you see one there's usually another in the vicinity, but we had just one on the tree yesterday and I couldn't see another. Are you keeping a record of what birds visit your garden?
Old 10-25-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hey Over's,

Home watching my beloved Pittsburgh Steelers perhaps lose a football game, so I decided to pop a msg.

Looks like things worked out in the long run, IP...kudos. The pseudo attorney in me would ask that dufis landlord to put his concerns about my private life in writing and you will consider the alternatives...or, simply pay for the cost of my move in reduced rent, etc. Then again, you could just move on as it seems that you have done so nicely.

Itch man, reading your paragraph on downsizing made my head spin. My life is consumed with that task at present and it seems to get harder rather than easier. I want to get to Florida sooo bad, yet getting these final things completed has been difficult. I am so glad that I have someone moving in and at least a drop dead date of 1/1/16.

Based on that it might seem out of touch that I would want to add a new project to the mix. Well, that is exactly what I have done. Without forethought I decided to hit a Sunday morning AA mtg that I haven't been to in a long while. Plus, it is an hours drive.

Anyway, I went and being a big book study the story it was Chapter 6, Into Action - pg 72, I think? It relates to finally completing Steps four and five..."Admitted to God (HP for me), to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs". It goes on to say that if we skip this vital step, we may not overcome drinking.

Wow, I had become so complacent...I'll do this after I move...I'm 28 months sober. No danger here. Further, it talks about how ego and fear stand in our way. That is me. Then it talks about finding the right person and moving forward without delay.

I have the perfect person that I will meet tomorrow to set up a timetable to accomplish this task prior to moving. He is a trusted friend and mentor with a few decades sober.

Just having made the decision to move forward was such a relief. All of my slacking at program work by telling myself meetings were enough ended. Finally, I feel ready to grow my recovery in the same manner that so many before me have done so successfully.

Just grateful that I have the ability to recognize that a return to just my control of things is the same path that led to disaster in the past.

Enjoy the day, overs.

Carlos
Old 10-25-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Wolf,
Isn't it ironic the difference in the ease of acknowledging our alcoholism in pre and early recovery, and now, recovered or not? Good job in sharing. I like to think in telling another it can be done, I am making good use out of a useless period of my existence for a time. Tell the folks who spent their time on you too. I wish my main mentor, the one who had the most influence in my life were still for me to call. But I had my time with him. And then my mentor from the military. I would call him whenever I won another award for passing on what he did for me. I'd thank him, and blame him for my success. He was always aware of the chains he forged, and hoped we all made chains of our own and never broke the chain. Your mentors need to know when the force they set in motion changes a thing in the world, so they can also watch the dominos fall in the new pattern.

Tootds,
You are the woman's equivalent to a renaissance man! I am sure you will if you will it.

Mags,
Just remember that we fall back and spring ahead.

FBL,
I was 25 when Star Wars came out. But I was just as enthusiastic. I was a Sci-Fi geek all of my life.

I never watched Mad Men but may have to sometime. We went directly from mod 90s to mid 60s to mid 70s too. The yard is muck. When we went to vote yesterday I almost got stuck and left a 10 inch rut right in front of the door. Man this will be difficult to fix. Dirt and gravel trucks cannot dump where I need if but will have to back down the drive and dump where I can drag with my tractor after is dries enough to not sink it too. My drive is fine for anything, but we won't be moving the trailer again until next summer. I may figure a way to use it as it is facing forward and I can take it to Florida and then just leave it facing the rear if it gets firm enough to drive just the empty truck on.

I'm with you. IT was the shakes that made me realize I a=was a goner unless I stopped for good.

IP,
My SH still smokes but outside. I quit three packs a day when I quit drinking alcohol five years and a few weeks ago. I can now smell it on me when we go in her car and she smokes. I have no issues with second hand smoke because I did so much first hand smoke daily. Outside I don't mind being around smokers on break, or smelling it. I just don't want it coating our electronics and other things with a layer of sticky brown smoke goo. All of our stuff is new since we smoked inside.

Good for you on your decision to move to a rural area. You can breathe anywhere, but you can relax in full in nature given food and shelter. I like our semi rural area. But not further out. 300 feet in any direction is my place, five times that in one direction. But still five minutes to the Interstate, seven more minutes to downtown. It's enough.

Hey I found this pic of the original stars of Star Wars in civvies The tall guy is Chewie, the short guy is R2.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Here it is:
Old 10-25-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I give up, the pic will not load.
One last try and resize:
Attached Images
Old 10-25-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Re-Member

L - R Han Solo, Darth Vader, ChewBaka, shorter in front L - R Princess Leia, R2D2, Luke Skywalker.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Carlos,
I was trying to post a pic when you posted.

That was a different man than the one I spoke to several years back on the phone. My hat is off to ya bud. I do not think I would have had the strength or courage to work through all the doubt and relapses you put yourself through, and still keep going with permanent recovery as your goal, as you did. Sometimes, our stubbornness is an asset beyond measure.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Itchy so much
Old 10-25-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Evening overs

Good decision Inpar, sounds just lovely , woods around you.

Wolfie, it's almost as if the driver was looking out for you, it sounds really positive for him. I hope all goes well..... Jays are beautiful., they're usually in pairs, if you see one there's usually another in the vicinity, but we had just one on the tree yesterday and I couldn't see another. Are you keeping a record of what birds visit your garden?
Yep so far & thanks to your advice we have: Wood pigeon, Ring neck dove, Wren, Robin, Magpie, Crow, bluetit, Eurasian Jay/Jay & blackbird

& we now have a resident squirrel who we have named Baxter guy is too cute

Mags if it wasn't for you I doubt I'd ever feel this joy so sending a lot of love & hugs your way lady
Old 10-25-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Do your best

Goodnight Overs
Old 10-25-2015, 11:00 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good morning Overs 6am
Old 10-26-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

I went to a tribute to John Denver concert yesterday :-). On the drive home I had a very brief urge to have a drink ... But it was so much milder than before and disappeared within a minute or two. Progress!

Have a lovely day :-)