Notices

One Year & Over Part 31

Old 11-15-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Ah fish and chips with malt vinegar. As a good descendant of Brits, I always have malt vinegar (and HP Sauce) around.

Busy weekend, going here and there... nothing really important, just going about. Weather supposed to turn rainy and cooler so maybe I was getting ready to hibernate.

Congrats on the Anniversaries Toots and Wolf!

Old 11-15-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Mags,
So the fish and chips shop I saw is called the chippie? I always thought that was a female of questionable morals!

I received big whole filets of fish and a gallon of fries. I was in my first English old-time pub, and had just fallen in love with bitter, which, contrary to the name, isn't. Went splendidly with the F&Chips.

Drake,
I had to look that one up, as I'd not heard nor tried HP sauce, named after House of Parliament, which sauce company was bought and sold several times until finally owned by Heinz. Most folks think of HP Sauce as British but despite its origins, it is manufactured in The Netherlands now. I just found it can be ordered from Amazon. Sounds by the ingredients to be kind of like A1 Steak sauce? Is it close? I love A1, and we also keep Thai sweet hot sauce. And our local must have, Crystal brand Louisiana hot sauce, from the New Orleans Metro area. https://www.baumerfoods.com/index.php

It's so good it'll make yer tongue roll up inside yer haid like a winder shade, and beat yer brains ta death!
Old 11-15-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never heard that definition Itch. Chippies are carpenters here...

I too love vinegar on fish and chips Itch. Brown vinegar is better than white too :

KFC is good for one thing - potato and gravy

D
Old 11-15-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

HP Sauce is indeed not made in the UK anymore, and it was quite a scandal, literally reaching the Parliament. Similar to A1, (A1 started in England as well) but more fruity and has a malt vinegar base. I can taste the difference, it is a bit mellower I think. I put it in meatloaf and on all meats.

And yes, Crystal Hot sauce is King around here.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I checked again Dee : Chippie | Define Chippie at Dictionary.com

I agree completely on brown malt vinegar being better. And the Mayonnaise in Europe is slightly different than here in the US. Ours is OK, but for Fries and Mayo, the "different" flavor of the mayo in Germany and Belgium was excellent. Their curry catsup sauce and catsup was terrible to me. Slimy gel in it or something.

KFC is fine for the fast food crowd. If I am going to eat takeout chicken there is an authentic Mexican Charcoal grilled chicken and fantastic sides here: So Tasty, So BeautifulOur Menu - Pollo Regio

I had never seen one and stopped in when it opened here. Man was that good! They marinate it then charcoal grill it. Best chicken I've ever tasted. Dang! MY mouth is watering.

I do not like Vegemite and have tried it.

Drake,
I love A1 so I will have to order some HP from Amazon if I can't find it locally. Like Crystal, a slight and subtle difference is what makes the sauce or breaks it. I love the vinegar and mix of the bell pepper sweet with the heat that crystal has. There is no Bell pepper in it, but it has that slight added back taste that makes it superior to me.

My father in law puts it in his eggs and my SH swears he put it in his Ice cream when she was growing up.

Thanks for the heads up on HP.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

No egg is eaten here without hot sauce of some kind. I can find HP in stores here and if you have a World Market they carry it.

I totally insulted my Brit friends by filling one asphalt crack with a commercial filler and another crack with Marmite , photographing it, then asking if they could tell the difference.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  
Administrator

HP is good.

I also like Branston Pickle which is not a sauce but a chutney type relish... but kind of in the same vein

I eat vegemite about once a year when I get a craving for it Itch
Old 11-15-2015, 10:48 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  
Do your best

I love fish & chips on occasion : )

Good morning Overs
Old 11-16-2015, 01:14 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Oh gosh, ,Dee, chippie is a joiner here too but they call the fish and chip shop that, slang of course! It gets confusing! When I was in Yorkshire they called it fish shop but it got confusing in Lincolnshire where they said chippie.

Hp brown sauce is gorgeous, more of savoury taste, I think than fruity but I believe you can buy a fruity alternative now.

Cheese and pickle (Branson) sandwiches, mmmmm. With red onion if you like!

Oh, it's gotta be malt vinegar on your fish and chips I think the white is more for pickling but not so sure?

Always have Tabasco in the food cupboard, if you like a kick!
Old 11-16-2015, 01:24 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  
Do your best

Tell me you guys know about onion vinegar ?
Old 11-16-2015, 01:28 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  
Administrator

That hasn't made it down to the southern hemisphere Sw
(unless it's what I call white vinegar)

D
Old 11-16-2015, 01:51 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

I definitely like malt vinegar on fish and chips!

Itchy, I really liked your poem. I especially liked the lines, "...their rhetoric cannot reflect, life’s true reality" and "And turn away from genocide because it spoils my mood." Thank you for sharing it.

If I may, I would like to refine one of the terms in your first quote.

"The idea of the sacred is quite simply one of the most conservative notions in any culture, because it seeks to turn other ideas -- uncertainty, progress, change -- into crimes."

If I were the one making that quote, I would replace the word "sacred" with "righteous."

"Sacred" is something genuinely holy, pure, beautiful, and transcendent. It takes your breath away in its utter excellence and makes you want to get down on one knee and bow your head before it.

When we behold the sacred, we are brought to the humility that befits us as mere mortals. We experience the complete absence of arrogance and self-righteousness.

When religious humans do evil things, it is definitely not because of the sacred. Where there is evil, the sacred is nowhere to be found.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:55 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  
Do your best

Totally agree Gilmer & lovely to see you
Old 11-16-2015, 01:57 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Good to see you, too, SW!
Old 11-16-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Nice to see ya, Gil!

Good thing I just ate breakfast...you guys are makin' me hungry

Have a great Monday, overs!
Old 11-16-2015, 03:42 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Hi, FBL! I loved Dr. Smith!
Old 11-16-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

Gilmer, great to see you and thanks for the definitions of righteous vs sacred. I'd never thought about that. And happy 2nd soberversary :-)

All this talk of sauces! I rarely use sauces but all these amazing descriptions are filling in a huge gap in my education!
Old 11-16-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Thank you!

2 years: I'm very proud of myself!
Old 11-16-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

thanks itch

and awesome gilm!
Old 11-16-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Thanks, Zip!