Notices

One Year & Over Part 31

Old 11-11-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Its a good evening here on the west coast, hoping its a good day for all you easterners.
November 12 is my two year mark. It has been a ride for sure. Not a ride that I fell off of once. Built a plan and worked it. Everyday I worked it. Early few weeks were tough. I remember posting that I was in tears because I felt I had lost my very best friend. Wow, was that an awakening moment. Took me time to realize that my wife, my three kids, their spouses and my two grandsons are my very best friends.
Oh and by the way, we added another on Oct. 31. My three grandsons. Wife says she is going to get me a Fred MacMurray sweater for Christmas. He was the straight and wise old father on My Three Sons from the 5os and 60s. I digress.
Just wanted to say thanks to all of you and many many others that have made positive comments to my posts and rants over the last two years. Without you in the same boat friends I may not have made it this far.
I still think about drinking every single day. Not wanting to pick up, just thinking about drinking. Guess that will never go away.
I don't bring it up with people anymore, but for those that ask, I am very open about my addiction. I believe that those that ask, may have issues of their own.
Two years does not make a recovery, but I feel I have a good handle on this bitch.
I really have no desire to pour that first one. I have poured a few firsts over the last 40 years and I know that it is a recipe for disaster.
Sorry to all of you that I don't post very often. Check in on the odd mark but the daily chit chat only serves to remind me why I am here in the first place.
I truly want you all to succeed in this journey. I wish you all the best.
Thanks for allowing me to take a seat on the SR train. We all got on at different stations and thats what makes this place so cool and helpful. All of our stories are different, but so similar that we all understand. The bottom line is that this train is going to one final station. And that station is peace, sobriety and acceptance that the train ride is a long long journey. You can get off anytime you want, but the good thing is you can get back on anytime anywhere. Simple right?
I am at peace, I am confident and I am happy. So is every member of my family.
My drinking buddies long ago stopped calling. My close true buddies call to go fishing, golfing, quading, walking, bowling, etc etc. They call because they enjoy my company even more now than we I was the guy that was never DD.
Hope this finds you all well. Any vets out there? Thank you for your sacrifice. We appreciate what you did.
I will be back periodically to check in.
All my love to each of you.
Rick
Old 11-11-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Rick,
No worries! No one requires you to post. But dang! Great post.

Thanks for taking the time.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on your 2 year milestone Rick
Old 11-11-2015, 11:08 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Rick

D
Old 11-11-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Lovely to hear from you Rick and what a lovely post. Congratulations on your 2 years.

FBL we take the NHS for granted here and cheap over the counter meds. I noticed last year how much dearer the average remedy was. There aren't words for how I feel about the corporate greed that causes people to lose homes to pay for their or their loved ones treatments. ( well there are, but my mother would wash my mouth out with soap!)

Oh, and I found that article fascinating. Thank you for that wee slice of American history.

Drake there are great packing lists on line for holidays, but the way I see it, as long as I have my passport, my ticket and my money, I can buy just about anything I may have forgotten. Don't stress the small stuff sweetie.

Mags, have you tried these orange tinted glasses you can wear at night? I found a pair at work and borrowed them to try out, they are amazing, you can still see everything but the headlights glow orange instead of glaring white. You can buy them cheaply online.

Glad you're feeling better Wolfie. I get migraines but rarely and they are awful.

Hugs all x
Old 11-12-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Toots
Old 11-12-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats on 2 years, Rick! Thanks for the thoughtful post...lots of stuff to smile about in there

Turning windy and much colder here today...may even see a snow flurry or two tonight. Winter is on the way.

Have a great Thursday, overs!
Old 11-12-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a great day too FBL
Old 11-12-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Rick, congrats on 2 years! I enjoyed reading your post. It is a good reminder that this is a journey we are on, not a destination.

Wolfie, happy to hear your migraine is better. Luckily I haven't had any in recent years but I have never forgotten just how brutal they can be!

Toots, thanks for the tip about the orange-tinted glasses. I don't drive at night much anymore but do dislike those bright headlights. Love the tips you share :-)

Happy Thursday, Overs!
Old 11-12-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

congratulations rick!
Old 11-12-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hi Rick, that was a really nice post, thank you. Congratulations on two years. Please stop in and let us congratulate you on your next milestone.

FBL, thanks for the article, what a story.

Itchy, that picture. Ugh. That I guess is pretty much as bad as it gets. At least it was fast probably? But yes, you said it, it can always be worse. Much, much worse it would seem.
It's cold here. Cold.
A friend and I drove to Fort Nelson yesterday. It was quite the trip, haha. It was fun but long. Of course we forgot until we were half way there that everything would be closed because of the holiday. Fort Nelson is a ghost town right now, so many closed businesses because of the oil downturn.
I had a fight with my boss. She expected me to work on the stat holiday, without talking to me about it first, no discussion of holiday pay which know I wouldn't get, was a B about it when she found out I had other plans, actually. I am thinking about contacting the labour board actually because I'm kind of tired of the way my company takes advantage of its editorial staff. We make a barely liveable wage as it is and are expected to work overtime quietly without being compensated for it. I appreciate the job, sure, but I'm not going to be disrespected on top of it. I'm going to call the Labour Board today and find out exactly what my rights are, and then have a discussion with my boss about it. (Which will be fun seeing as she has the worst people skills I've ever experienced and doesn't seem capable of respectful conversation. But I'll try I guess. I've just about had it with her, though. I'm not a kid anymore. Don't treat me like one.)

Stay healthy everyone! Keep warm. Mags--I have asthma too and know what that can be like. Spent half my childhood in bed sick. I've had rhinitis, it's awful. Rest lots and stay cozy!

It's pitch black out here and windy. When the wind blows here the whole roof rattles, it's terrifying!
Old 11-12-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Rick, congrats on your two year mark. Thanks for the great post. I've enjoyed reading about your sober journey!

Carlos
Old 11-12-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening guys had a unexpected visit from my neice while I was doing some diy around the house we had a great few hours talking about her upcoming 10,000 word dissertation and her uni stuff & her being in the rugby team I'm well proud of her and I managed to get some diy done

Knackered but really happy even more so with rosemary marinated lamb chops & rosemary infused wedges for dinner

Get well soon mags & hello to all the Overs
Old 11-12-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post
congratulations rick!
Rusty - thanks, coming from a 10 year sober success, you mean a lot to me. I appreciate your posts.
Rick
Old 11-12-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats Rick!
Two years is awesome.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations Rick on two years, great post!

Fbl, your grandfathers acount of armistice day was poignant, thank you.

Toots, thanks for the glasses tip, I will search online tonight and give them a go.

Wolfie, roast lamb, mmmm.

Inpar, you go girl! Give them what for! Too many employers ask too much of us, you stand your ground !

Have a good day.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:38 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Do your best

Morning Overs Hi Mags & D
Old 11-13-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

one day at a time rick

ODAAT
Old 11-13-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

My boss was able to hook me up with an agent that was able to get me a much better deal. My new rate will now be $230 per month instead of $430 per month! Both my boss and I are very happy and he'll continue to cover his half for me. My long, health insurance nightmare is finally over!

Have a great Friday, overs!
Old 11-13-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Do your best

That's excellent news FBL congrats man