Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 3

Old 10-29-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Welcome Bear847!
Old 10-29-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Day 25 sober and my fourth weekend coming up. I look forward to the weekends now. I can remember how tough the first one was. The weekends were my total binge nirvanas from am to late pm. "Normal"people were looking forward to Fridays so that they could go away etc. I was looking forward to the weekends so that I could drink as much as I could and wanted . Looking back at my behaviour it was totally obsessive and insane!!! Everything was centred around wine. It was my universe and reason to live.. I mean really....Having had 25 days away from that hideous and vile liquid you look at it with such a different angle. I do hope that I can continue to be strong enough. I need to remind myself constantly how controlled and imprisoned I was by booze . That is not a life, it is a really, really sad existence. I really don't want to be living my life like that anymore ever again. Sobriety and I are getting to like each other more and more every day. I used to think that people who don't drink are boring and cant have fun. How stupid of me. I was totally wrong. I think I am growing up, finally!
Happy weekend all .................

Happy weekend to you all and keep on going!
Old 10-29-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Welcome to October Bear and Fuzzy (and any other newcomers I may have missed).
Old 10-29-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Day 4 and nervous about the weekend. (I'm a binger).
Old 10-29-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

I was off yesterday and am off today, a four-day weekend. Drinking did enter my mind but it was more of a normally I'd have been drinking now on a day offrather than a desire to drink.

Before I quit drinking I had spent the previous two weeks eating really healthily. The severity of the whole routine was too much and I could feel the pressure building up. I needed a release and started having Saturday night chocolate, marshmallow, cake binges. Then last weekend I had pizza for the first time in 10 weeks. I then had it again the next day. My diet is slipping so from today I'm going to nip it in the bud. I'm back on a really clean diet.

In other news, tomorrow will be 8 weeks for me. All I can say is that I'm so glad I persevered through the tough early days and then the early weeks. At present I can only see positives in this lifestyle. I can't wait for more sober time under my belt to see what other improvements are in store.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sydneyman View Post
Day 25 sober and my fourth weekend coming up. I look forward to the weekends now. I can remember how tough the first one was. The weekends were my total binge nirvanas from am to late pm. "Normal"people were looking forward to Fridays so that they could go away etc. I was looking forward to the weekends so that I could drink as much as I could and wanted . Looking back at my behaviour it was totally obsessive and insane!!! Everything was centred around wine. It was my universe and reason to live.. I mean really....Having had 25 days away from that hideous and vile liquid you look at it with such a different angle. I do hope that I can continue to be strong enough. I need to remind myself constantly how controlled and imprisoned I was by booze . That is not a life, it is a really, really sad existence. I really don't want to be living my life like that anymore ever again. Sobriety and I are getting to like each other more and more every day. I used to think that people who don't drink are boring and cant have fun. How stupid of me. I was totally wrong. I think I am growing up, finally!
Happy weekend all .................

Happy weekend to you all and keep on going!
Ditto. That was me. Weekends, wine and a waste of everything. Making it through the first weekend is always the hardest part. Great to no longer be under its spell. Great to also wake up on a Sunday & Monday no longer feeling like a long-tailed cat in a room full or rocking chairs.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  
Earth Child

i slipped been doing things to myself that i would call addictive and damaging to myself first free day of that
Old 10-29-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by secretchord View Post
Day 4 and nervous about the weekend. (I'm a binger).
Do you have a plan of action for the weekend so you don't drink?
Old 10-29-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Day 17: Feeling better day by day, but the anxiety and constant, vague feelings of dread just won't leave. I've managed to avoid drinking to dull them, but I'll probably need to figure out a more long-term solution. Halloween parties all weekend starting tomorrow, but I'm not too worried about that. My problem has generally been drinking alone. In fact, when I've embarrassed myself drinking in public in the past, I've almost always started drinking well before the event in question. Confident heading into the weekend and looking forward to hitting 20 days soon.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frank14 View Post
Do you have a plan of action for the weekend so you don't drink?
Is hanging out here a plan?
Old 10-29-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Just saying hi and welcome to the newcomers. I have a crappy cold so I'll keep this brief. Trying to get to bed early tonight if possible - will help me recover! Day 19 all done - zero cravings today. I can't figure out if the complete loss of cravings is due to the Campral or something else. No worries - it's a good feeling no matter what. I can't even imagine drinking right now and going through that hell again. Tomorrow's Friday - yay!!! I love weekends!!!
Old 10-29-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Secret ..same here. Binger. Haven't craved all week..but weekends a r a bit harder ..let alone a "party" Holiday weekend. Stay strong.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

So I found out today that my mother might have an arterial block that is limiting blood flow to her brain. I also found out that my half-brother had another child and my family back east is just tickled pink to have a 2nd grandchild. I have 4 friggin kids already, but everyone there seems to forget that. I obviously don't have the best relationship with one side of my family. My wife is also recovering from her 2nd knee surgery in 2 months, and her incision is infected. I have been doing double duty as the only bread winner but also Mr. Mom. To say I am stressed is an understatement.

This would usually lead me to slam back 12-18 beers. The lil voice did try to make a little noise today, but I am happy to say that I told it to shut the hell up! I won't let it ruin what I am working so hard for. Life happens and not one ounce of booze was going to change what is going on. In fact, all it would have done is possibly had me not functional to take care of my wife or kids if something happened, get to emotional about my mom instead of thinking clearly of what the next steps for medical treatment will be, and raise my anxiety tomorrow morning through the roof. So...SHUT UP lil voice! No one here wants to hear any of your BS!

Sorry if this was a little to strong for some people, but I just really needed to get this off my chest.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

A dozen days sober. Got up early and rode the spin bike before work, gonna set the alarm 5 minutes earlier tomorrow and hit my abs. Stayed busy at work, had a pretty good day. Kids drove me a little nuts tonight, lately I have been able to shake it off. A little rough on myself this evening, lots of guilt with periods of some depression but otherwise chugging a long. Went to the store for Ben and Jerry's tonight, gonna need it. I'm still reading "Rewired" great book, go get a copy.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Finally had a day off. Danger zone. To me, days off were a reason to start drinking early. To kill the hangover from the night before. Instead, I slept in. Went to the weight room twice today. Napped. Spent a buncha time on SR. I work weekends, so not tempted to drink, and the Halloween thing doesn't mean much to me, except for more drunk drivers on the roads day and night. Having fits sleeping still, eighteen days in. Kinda like piecing dozens of micro naps together. But as I say, four hours of sober sleep is always better than twelve hours drunk lying in bed.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:39 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wishing everyone a peaceful serene sober friday
Old 10-30-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Thanks for the welcoming notes
Originally Posted by looking4awagon View Post
Kids drove me a little nuts tonight, lately I have been able to shake it off. A little rough on myself this evening, lots of guilt with periods of some depression but otherwise chugging a long.
This is true for me as well. Tolerance seems low. The nerves hypersensitivity is worse around 5pm. Last night I mentioned to my son that I needed a little time out to practice piano and had to go for a jog the night before that. It's weird I was fine last week and now it's like it was the first week. However, the rest of the time is great.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:58 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Welcome to the new people! Lots of great advice here, poke around. Read different threads. You can go to any of them no matter the class unless it specifies for something only.
Those struggling or who have fell: I know if Dee were here he'd say get a bigger better plan, the other one isn't working. Weekends are hard in the beginning. Stay busy and keep your mind busy. Be prepared for the voice telling you to give in. Be prepared to fight with it and move on. But also take care of yourself and be kind to yourself. It's probably been a while since you were. Dee would say the first 30 days or so concentrate on not drinking. Luckily sobriety and recovery are a journey. There's no finish line or end date. It's hard work, but it's so worth the fight! You are worth it! Once you change your thinking and how you treat yourself, you can begin to change your life. You can't live a sober life in your old drunk one. Everything will change, but for the good. All my sober bad days are better than one single day drunk!
Nobody said it'd be easy, they said it'd be worth it!
Have a wonderful weekend! My trucker will be home and I plan to spend as much time as I can with him so I won't be on here much. Support each other and above all, be kind! Everyone has a struggle you know nothing about just a common problem, alcoholism.
(Hug) to you all!
PS congrats to those of you who are just plugging along. So proud of you! High five!
Keep on keeping on!
Old 10-30-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  

I've been doing some cutting and pasting today making my own recovery art work, it's very basic but very therapeutic : )))
Old 10-30-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Day 13 today! I'm going out to dinner with work friends tonight. They will be drinking; I won't. I'm skipping the happy hour before hand, as sitting in a wine bar watching people drink my favorite drink doesn't sound like fun at all.

Hope everyone has a great, sober weekend!