Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 3

Old 10-28-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Welcome to all the new folks! Glad you're here!

I've had some pretty strong cravings for wine yesterday and today. Not sure why...maybe because I'm tired? Or maybe because I'm only on Day 11 and I miss wine??? Regardless, I haven't had any. I think I should start buying Diet 7-Up in bulk though as it's my replacement drink (with cherries).

Friday night will be my first real test. A group of us at work are going out together for a co-worker's going away dinner. They're also going to a happy hour before dinner, and I told them I can't go to that. I got some flack, but there's no way I'm ready to hang out in a wine bar! I'm a bit nervous...
Old 10-28-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Good evening everyone. So today I am finishing up day 25 of sobriety, and day 14 without cigarettes or any type of nicotine. Now I have to work on my eating habits, particularly my use of junk food as my go-to substitute for alcohol and cigarettes.

I've given myself a pass on the bad eating because stopping the alcohol and cigarettes was my priority, but eating poorly is IMO just as bad as drinking and smoking, so it's time for me to train my mind to not need any type of substance as an emotional pacifier. Besides, there is plenty of healthy food available; I just have to put more energy into shopping for it and preparing it, and especially preparing healthy meals ahead of time so that good food is readily available when the hunger pangs hit.

Stay strong everyone; I know some days are tough, but I firmly believe we are all strong enough to see those days through--sometimes it's just a matter of reaching deep inside for that extra bit of determination and power. It's there, and don't ever let anyone tell you it isn't.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Hey time2rise, a day behind you!! Keep going and I will 2
Old 10-28-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sydneyman View Post
Hey time2rise, a day behind you!! Keep going and I will 2
I noticed that. We're both only a few days from 30, and I'm sure we will make it.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Welcome Cute, GITT, and MLB!! I'm so excited to see new people! We have a great group.
For the last 10 months my hands get shaky at the same time everyday and would stay that way until I started drinking. Yesterday and today I noticed my hands weren't shaking. I stopped what I was doing and stared at my hands like I couldn't believe what I was seeing! It was really exciting! And this morning i had to tighten my belt an extra notch! So at lunch time I'm thinking over how healthy I feel and taking inventory of all the things that have changed for the better in the last 5 weeks. But after an 11 hour day, wine sounded perfect after work. At least until I thought through it some more and knew I would regret it. It was a combination of things that kept my from drinking today, but vanity was a major motivator. Is that bad? I guess whatever gets you through the day without drinking, right?!
Keep up the great work gang!!
Old 10-28-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I'd like to join your class of October 2015.
I have been happily saying no to poisoning my body and mind with alcohol and nicotine for almost 3 weeks. I feel so much better... And not scared this time around.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Hi Gladiolus! Welcome to our lovely group... 3 weeks without poisoning your body and mind is amazing.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Hey just now, I was getting a big bowl of grapes, and a banana, and some cranberry punch juice and gingerale, and I started to think how such a pig I was, that I had already had a giant supper + Halloween candy, I'm supposed to be losing weight, blah blah....

But then I realised, hey....this is the time I'd usually be getting a gingerale and juice but also squirrelling away some alcohol to mix it with, and or sneaking up to my room to get my stash, and just drinking myself silly - in secret - on TOP of getting after dinner snacks so that after drinking awhile I'd have stuff to soak up the alcohol in my stomach without (hopefully) having to go into the kitchen to get more...smelling of booze or acting drunk....and then possibly ordering pizza or other foods I can't afford *anyway* and then waking up the next morning to complete disaster, sickness, vomiting, guilt and shame and fear as I look through my history and FB and phone and try to also remember if me being in the kitchen last night talking to my roommates and/or making a humongous mess in the kitchen and embarrassing myself was a dream or if it really happened. If I called my crush and cried to her all night or if that was a dream too................gah!!!

Ok so getting some grapes and a banana and fruity juice and gingerale....OMG Layali what am I doing, crazy fool!?? lolol ooooooh I'm soooo out of control hahahaha. I might even watch a movie tonight and enjoy it and know what's going on, and talk to my sister soberly, and not make embarrassing posts, and then get a peaceful nights sleep and wake up tomorrow to a steaming hot cup of coffee and some more peace of mind............yay.

Ok sorry, I think I just needed to put some things into perspective for myself.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Well, I'm done with my 11th day. I started the morning right, getting in a little spin time on the bike. Couldn't eat breakfast or coffee because I had to do my biometric screen for insurance at work. Well, I passed with flying colors, never had such good numbers before! I was super excited about that, as I have been eating pretty healthy for some time now, except at night, I have let the late night snack back in to help cope with my quiting alcohol. Work was super busy, but it felt great, people are starting to notice a change in my attitude and work ethic, they want to know what's up, lol. The best thing about today is the new book I picked up for the kindle, it is a must read for all of us, especially for those like myself where just quiting alcohol isn't enough. It's called "Rewired" by Erica Spiegelman. Go get it now!
Old 10-28-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Welcome Gladiolus. Well done on 3 weeks sober.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

So glad to see so many posting today. Welcome to anyone new!

Day 5 done here. Feels really good to be this far. I don't think I've gotten past day 4 since June! I've had alot of day 4's. Cravings have been leaving me alone for the most part. I'm bracing for a bad afternoon.
See you all tomorrow!
Old 10-29-2015, 12:39 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Morning all,

I'm joining you on the October thread after previously doing 47 days on the September thread, then convincing myself to have 1 night off and then drinking 5 bottles of wine in 4 nights...

I can't control, can't moderate, back in the saddle : )))
Old 10-29-2015, 12:52 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  
Do your best

TGIT I wish everyone a peaceful thurday
Old 10-29-2015, 12:54 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Going to bed. Late. Day 4. Thanks for the welcomes and Liyali I totally identify with ur last post.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

I do have a quick minute to post

Got a lousy cold and it's all I can really think about right now. I hate being sick. However, my dog and I just took a nice walk in the dark morning hours before the sun rises. It was kind of magical. The air was all misty and I could see the almost full moon and bright Venus in the sky. Then we saw two deer just sort of hanging around before the people wake up. The two deer looked at me and I looked at them. Fortunately, my dog didn't notice them (they were so calm and quiet). Nice moment. If I had a hangover, these nice morning moments would not be possible! Day 19 today.

Welcome again to the new folks and welcome back Fuzzy. Let's all keep going strong!
Old 10-29-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Doing well Juno. Happy for you, you've got a head of steam up. 19 days sounds fantastic

Oh and where's Dee?
Old 10-29-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

I miss Dee's wise words and encouragement. I think he said on another thread that he injured himself and would be off SR for a little bit. Wishing him a speedy recovery - he is missed!
Old 10-29-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Good morning all!
Day 6 here. Lots to do around the house today. Looking forward to the weekend already.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone
Just a Hello! I haven't been able to keep up with the Class threads, not even my own, but noticed that this one is getting some great sober time in it! That is awesome.

I was at Wal mart yesterday picking up cheap yarn to make a goofy blanket (of which I have dozens...My dogs sleep on them) and I was totally overwhelmed by all the Halloween candy. I'm on a keto eating plan right now so I absolutely cannot have sugar of any kind. OMG. It was like walking through a liquor store....seriously. I don't eat a lot of sugar anyway, but I do indulge on Halloween (and usually regret it the next day with a brutal sugar hangover). I couldn't stop thinking of all the little minis, touching the bags, entertaining just letting myself binge on candy one night. NO! There really is something to wanting what I can't have...its a personality trait for sure. The forbidden fruit. I do it in all areas of my life, I've realized. Crazy. With respect to booze I have allowed myself a certain level of ambivalence. I'm not recommending this way of thinking but I think without realizing it this kind of thinking helps me NOT desire booze because I've told myself, you can have it or not. What are the advantages of having it? None. The disadvantages? Many. For whatever reason, for now, that has taken the wind out of any booze cravings. But that candy? Man I wanted it. BUT I didn't cave. I'm hiding out on Halloween (lights out) so I won't be giving out candy....I don't need any. Halloween is the anniversary of my husbands death so I'm just going to ignore the whole thing. Anyway, I'm rambling. Evil Halloween candy!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Hi - new member.

Hi - I'm not totally sure how the classes work. I just joined yesterday and made my first post.

I spent 3 weeks in outpatient out of state (I'm not working right now) and when I got back to where I live I was so nervous. I went to a football game last weekend to "experiment" with drinking again and it was a disaster. Nothing bad happened, but I did blackout Thursday night and I have had a horrible headache the past two days.

I was super nervous about sleeping last night because I know drinking causes insomnia but I made I through the night OK and my headache is going away. Went to first local AA meeting yesterday and I am going to go every day while I am not working so that I stick with my plan.

It really is amazing how 30 days of such hard work can go away so fast. But at least I know now I am not like everyone else and I need to not drink, at least for the foreseeable future.