Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 49

Old 10-18-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Hey, Fradley, sorry work is going slowly. Good that you can say 'no' to the wine in the fridge. I don't think I'd want to test myself with that!
Old 10-18-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Hello Saskia,

I got a second wind ( chocolate induced perhaps ) so now I'm a little bit more comfortable with progress,

The downside is it s now 4am - so definitely time for zeds.

F
Old 10-18-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Morning all! Pouring with rain here on a stormy Monday morning. Just touching base. Hope you all had a great weekend...
Old 10-18-2015, 11:38 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Morning Amp,

Checking in to prove that I never sleep .!
Old 10-19-2015, 12:04 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through that Fradley

D
Old 10-19-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Morning all! Another sober weekend :-)

I feel like I'm really hitting my sober stride fully now. It feels great! I don't ever want to go back to that sad place where I hid from the world.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Huge congrats on 90, Key!
Old 10-19-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Good morning. I made it through the weekend at work and finally I have the next three weekends off. It was hectic and being understaffed on the weekends it just gets crazy. Now finally others are going to have to share this burden for a change.

Anyway I'm moving forward and am looking to enjoy life more instead of worrying about work all of the time. Getting past alcohol is a big part of that. It will not only improve my quality of life but will help me live longer as well.

I don't think I could keep a bottle of wine on the fridge Fradley. Like Saskia said- the temptation would be too great for me. A bad craving plus a open bottle of would would spell disaster for me. I'm glad you were able to say no!

Have a good day everyone!
Old 10-19-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Hey guys! I haven't been on SR much this weekend..I was spending as much time with my favorite trucker as I could. He isn't home all the time so I soak it up when he is! Yes, yesterday was my big 90! Thank you! We celelbrated all weekend actually. It is nice to have that kind of support. When I am well, my family is well so I am so happy for that!
I got an happy 90, early, birthday, and early Christmas gift from my husband. He said I had been doing so good and he just wanted to make me as happy as I have made him...He bought us a trip to Las Vegas and while we are there I get to go see Celine Dion at Ceasars Palace! I am thrilled beyond belief! She is my all time favorite vocalist and I know I will just sit there and cry and cry while she performs! She is amazing! And I have always wanted to go back to Vegas since we went in 2000. We had so much fun..I am excited and wishing my life away until we go! (Not really but you know what I mean!)
I will catch up and be more personal soon as I can. I hope everyone is well and had a nice weekend! ((Hug))!
Old 10-20-2015, 12:44 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

6 months today! Just want to extend a huge thank you to all at SR and particularly in this group. It's people like Inc, Saskia, Dee, Toots, Glee and so many, many others that have made my recovery get as far as it has. Long may it continue!

I was talking to my wife last night about the "new me". This new one is socially awkward and pensive. A far cry from the old impulsive party guy. She says people miss that. People have asked her if I'm depressed or something. It's ironic as I was depressed before I gave up but that was hard to spot in a social situation where I'd be drinking.

I told her that I was going to take some getting used to. That it is disconcerting for all of us. She says I should " try harder" . I tried to explain that it's hard enough trying not to drink. I think she gets it. She's happy for me. She's in a bit of denial about how bad it was and I don't really want to shatter her illusions. In a way it's like I'd been betraying her to the bottle and sneaking around for years. Maybe she doesn't really need to know exactly how irresponsible and deceitful I've been. I do talk about needing to drink to feel ok in the past or not knowing when to stop but the fact that I would drink 3 or 4 times more than she thought is taboo. She probably figures I was sneaking a few. Truth is the bulk of my drinking was the sneaking!

Anyway. Happy to be here and have this chance to be a good man and do the right thing and make balanced choices. Maybe we'll all start getting used to me over the next 6 months! Hope so!
Old 10-20-2015, 01:58 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's terrific amp - congratultions!

D
Old 10-20-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Thank Saskia! Thanks guys for the well wishes!
Amp! Well done so proud of you guy! Congratulations! ((Hug))!
Old 10-20-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

(((Amp)))! Hope you don't mind the virtual hug. 6 months is a huge milestone. You have worked hard to get here and have a wonderful attitude. I think I understand about the challenges. After 14 months+, I'm suddenly feeling so much more solid and relaxed. My interactions with others has undergone many changes over these months. I look forward to hearing how you feel about this after a year+. My bet is that you will feel much more comfortable.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 months amp! Yes, I'm seeing that quitting the alcohol causes a lot of changes, but they are changes for the better!
Old 10-20-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
She's in a bit of denial about how bad it was and I don't really want to shatter her illusions. In a way it's like I'd been betraying her to the bottle and sneaking around for years. Maybe she doesn't really need to know exactly how irresponsible and deceitful I've been. I do talk about needing to drink to feel ok in the past or not knowing when to stop but the fact that I would drink 3 or 4 times more than she thought is taboo. She probably figures I was sneaking a few. Truth is the bulk of my drinking was the sneaking!
This is a great post Amp. Most of my drinking in the later years was sneaking. I have not come clean with my wife to this day about how much that I was drinking. I certainly was consuming 3-4 times the amount that she probably thought I was. I really don't know if it is worth bringing up and possibly bringing up trust issues in my relationship. It's almost like I was having a secret affair that no one else knew about. Everyone is a little happier now that it is over.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Congrats, Amp. Yes, the sneaking was insidious, as with much of my active addiction past. I came to recovery spiritually bankrupt and could waver morally at the drop of a hat.

So glad to embrace the thought today that I am only as sick as my secrets.

Enjoy the day, Undies.

Carlos
Old 10-20-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

WWS - Awesome that your work schedule is more fair. Gratitude is an incredible tool for me, one that helps me find my way through all sorts of challenges. I'm glad you feel the changes in your life in sobriety are good ones.

KeyofC - Thank you for that heartfelt gratitude note. Congrats on 90 days, and the special trip you've planned to celebrate it. I hope you have as much luck as BoozeFree in Vegas!

Amp - Great job on 6 months! Sobriety definitely took me some getting used to, too, and I think you're settling into it wonderfully. At around the 4-6 month marks, my friends started asking what was "wrong" with me, where the cheerful life of the party was hiding. Eventually when I felt comfortable I told a couple of friends about my struggle with quitting alcohol. I needed to pull away for a while to recalibrate.

AA helped me so much. Not only did I find comfort and camaraderie among other people in the program, but it's 12 steps guided me in the right direction.

My experience has been that I found my way back to my friends. And lo and behold I have reemerged as fun as ever, only I don't trip all over the place now, or pass out at the end of the night. Seriously though I am also ok with listening, with taking in the scene, with quietly enjoying other people's company. I enjoy myself much more than I have in years.

My point is, even when it feels awkward, or puzzling, or uncomfortable, don't quit! Ask for help, organize your thoughts, use some of the tools you've amassed - and keep going.

Fradley - Great job making it through the overnight project with your sobriety intact. I struggled doing things sober that I'd always done under the influence. When I realized I could share my struggles with others, the burden lightened - and those struggles got easier and easier with practice.

Stargazer - A clear conscience is just one more benefit of sobriety! Good for you!

Saskia - It's good to see you hitting your sober stride.

Dizzy - Life in the sober lane is wonderful!!

Carlos - I never would have guessed that I was holding the key to my serenity the whole time.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

(((Glee))) you're so kind and so wonderful with your words! Thank uou
Old 10-21-2015, 12:07 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Well done on 6 months Amp. I don't believe that the 'new you' is the final product we are in a constant flux of change.

I actually found that It was only when I told h up by some of the shocking loatheful things I did that he realised how much of a grip drink had on me. He needed that to understand how far I have come and why I have had to change so much. He too misses the old me at times, but much prefers the new me on the whole.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Hi

I hope nobody minds if I join in here. I initially introduced myself and have been posting in the Newcomers thread, which is an incredibly welcoming place in itself. But it's a place where new people constantly come and go and I like the idea of having somewhere I can post for a bit, maybe disappear for a while, come back and people might remember who I am

I'm now at 5 months, after a 35 year relationship with alcohol. I realise now I'd been gradually weaning myself off booze for the last few years, without thinking that I was ultimately going to stop altogether.

One of the best decisions of my life.My approach has been to try and get my mind to a place where I just don't want alcohol, studying AVRT, reading Allen Carr's book. I've had a few unexpected moments of doubt, including recently which I posted about in the Newcomers forum, but I got through them and am feeling more and more comfortable.

I've also been having people challenging my decision. A friend saying how he misses me getting drunk. How entertaining I was. It was quickly clear that was because everyone enjoyed laughing at my drunken antics. So that helped confirm I'd made the right choice

One thing I wanted to say, because it only really struck me last night. About a year ago I was remembering as a teenager regularly hanging out at a burger bar with friends drinking root beers floats. And I was thinking how lame that must have been. How did we have fun with out booze? I was genuinely, seriously wondering that.

And now I know. I had fun then without alcohol for the same reason I was more recently having fun in the pub with alcohol. I was enjoying being with my friends. That's what was fun. Adding booze in the mix just added to the cost, lowered the quality of the conversations, and meant I felt sick the next day.

I was thinking about this on my way back from seeing Johnny Marr (of the Smiths) play a gig last night. I was 10 feet away from him. I was bouncing to the music and singing along to the songs I knew at the top of my voice. Felt like a teenager again (though a sign of my age was how annoyed I was at the drunk real teenagers crashing into me as they slam danced with each other). I was completely caught up in the music without any drugs or alcohol in me. I felt right there in the moment. Life really is so much better sober.