SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   One Year and Under Club Part 49 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/377080-one-year-under-club-part-49-a.html)

Saskia 11-26-2015 05:17 AM

Glad you held your ground, BF. Family can be a big challenge in so many ways!

waywardson8260 11-26-2015 05:24 AM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I will resist the temptation to drink this time and will stay sober over the whole holiday season.

Stay strong Key and have a good day!

stargazer016 11-26-2015 05:48 AM

Happy sober Thanksgiving everyone!

KeyofC 11-26-2015 05:58 AM

I've never been against AA but I haven't went. I sense the time is coming. I'm feeling the need to be around like minded people. I need more tools that I can't find on my own. I need to go to AA and Alanon. Is that possible? I need to work those steps with someone who will make me honestly look at myself with me and help me chuck these skeletons. If I don't they're going to kill me. It's either that or therapy and I may need both. These feelings are too much on a constant daily basis. It's gonna ruin me and my relationships, even though I'm sober.

KeyofC 11-26-2015 06:00 AM

Oh and Happy Thanksgiving! I will win today, no doubt about it! Only love here!
Tomorrows my birthday too! :)

Saskia 11-26-2015 06:32 AM

Key, I needed loads of help - not only to be sober but also to be able to live a fulfilling life. Besides SR, I went to an IOP (and among the many things we learned were meditation and relaxation), AA, and psychotherapy. I needed them all and it was totally worth it. I am so much happier and more relaxed now. Life isn't perfect and never will be yet I am content :-)

Keepnitreal 11-26-2015 06:34 AM

Happy Birthday Key!!!!!!

I'm also going to AA so that I can meet and connect with other sober alcoholics. It's a big community and you can buI'll new relationships that don't revolve around alcohol. I think that's the tough part for a lot of people. Having fun in life without booze. I know that's what has me scared to death!

Have a great Thanksgiving to all that celebrate. Off to the kitchen I go!!

KIR

IWLSAST 11-26-2015 09:40 AM

Happy Thanksgiving, Undies (for those who celebrate today)...

Well this is my third sober TG on this hopefully last sober journey.

La Bumba - means bummer among my group of misfits - just burned the top coating of my sausage-stuffing that I am taking with me today. Will be with family about an hour away till early evening, then with AA for another dinner this evening. A busy fun day.

Yes, I said "fun"! By following the principal of AA, I've learned to fix much of the hot mess that existed between my ears for decades. Certainly not the only path to a joyous, happy and free sober life, but, as I found out, fixing my thinking was every bit as important to my recovery as not drinking.

Hey, while I thought I was...I was not a unique drunk. So, a path to sobriety by following the successes of the many that passed before me seems to be a softer easier way, for sure.

My life and house has been a total mess for a couple months now. I live in the northeast and will be moving to Florida in a few weeks. The trials and tribulations of separating myself from my past by literally cleaning out everything I have garnered in a lifetime has been a huge hassle. However, I am so glad that I was required to do so and have my house ready for new tenants that will be renting. Throwing and giving things away that I thought held some meaning has been a special freedom.

Example: I wear sweatshirts to AA meetings - mostly my college and Pittsburgh Steelers, and give them away after the meeting. As my good recovery friend from Florida jokes, "What's a sweatshirt?"

As always, thanks for the many posts on here that continue to help to keep me sober. I read often, but now post rarely. Undies is, and will remain a big part of the fabric that has helped to shape my sober path.

FOR THAT I AM THANKFUL on this Thanksgiving Day.

My Best To All -

Carlos

PS - Hey 19, congrats. :) Glee is a good friend and sober bestie. While caution should always be your guide, I have met Glee on a few occasions as we toured various AA venues in neutral cities. Last year around this time we met in Manhattan and went to three meetings in a day in some stored meeting rooms. All the while like 10,000 nut jobs dresses as Santa descended upon the city for an annual bar-hopping Santa extravaganza. We didn't hit bar #1 - and it was a blast!

Soberwolf 11-26-2015 09:49 AM

Happy thanksgiving all

KeyofC 11-26-2015 05:20 PM

Y'all are simply amazing, thank you for your thoughts ((hug)). Happy Thanksgiving. I made it through and have better clarity.

Saskia 11-26-2015 05:43 PM

Happy to hear that, Key. Good for you!

BoozeFree 11-26-2015 11:35 PM

KeyofC happy bday!

Just got home. Had a nice mellow thanksgiving with friends and no drama. My sister just got home from my moms and apparently it was tons of drama and drinking which led to arguments and drunkness. Glad I passed on that.

Off to bed before womp calls my name..

tootsl1 11-27-2015 12:34 AM

Happy birthday Key I hope you have a good day

I hope you all survived thanksgiving, now sliding inexorably to Christmas! You all sound like you have been preparing well for the day both turkey wise and recovery wise. Certainly for me, those days that were an excuse to start drinking early were the ones I dreaded, actually it's kinda nice to actually remember the whole day!

Saskia 11-27-2015 02:49 AM

Happy birthday, Key! Wishing you many more sober ones :-)

BF, I'm glad you didn't attend the family drama! Families of origin are just that and are often not current "real" family.

I'm happy to remember every day.

Dee74 11-27-2015 02:54 AM

next part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-50-a.html

D