Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 49

Old 11-22-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Hey Keepinitreal!
True going out for a walk. Maybe eat something sweet like chocolate or ice cream and watch some TV with a cup of tea?? Sometimes you need to ride out the storm but the results are worth it. Weekends are always tough early on in recovery...
Old 11-22-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Congrats, Amp!

KIR, sorry you are struggling today. I sometimes picture the AV as a very ugly little critter sitting on my shoulder and when I'm tempted, I put an imaginary wall between me and it. The other thing to hang onto is you are not committing to forever - you are committing to 24 hours. Have you joined the 24-hour thread? People go there for a quick check-in first thing each day and commit to staying sober for 24 hours.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Amp congrats!

KIR- try watching some tv, listening to music, reading a magazine or book, go for a walk, start another cleaning project, call a friend. You'll be happy tomorrow that you didn't drink.

I am so tired! I was out all night till around 9AM down in San Diego with my friend. Drank way too much coffee and slept for about a hour a little bit ago. Planning on taking a little nap and relaxing today and hopefully grab some food at some point.

Tomorrow will be 30 days. I can't believe it's already been that long since my last relapse. That last relapse was so bad I can't believe how miserable I was withdrawing after only drinking for a little over a week. Very grateful for SR and all of you that keep supporting me regardless of all the relapses I've had.

Soberjim how are you doing? Hopefully hangin in there!

Dee haven't heard much from you in awhile, anything exciting happening over there?

Hope everyone is having a nice sober day.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Well done on those 30 days BF! Good to hear you're enjoying life! Hope you have a restful day!
Old 11-22-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Amp, Saskia, Booze-free et al... Thank you so much for the tips. I played a game with my son and hubby, cried a bit, and now I'm doing better.
This really took me by surprise today because things have been going so well, with relatively little cravings. That being said, I didn't drink daily so maybe the cravings come in cycles. I'm still sober and believe I will make it through this 24 hours.
Saskia-I will look for the 24 hour thread!
Thanks again for the support everybody. I really needed help!!
Smiles!
Old 11-22-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Great going, KIR! That's the way to do it :-)

BFree, huge congrats on 30 days!
I lost track of how many relapses I had. It's definitely not a road I'd recommend but it does leave me feeling much more empathy for those who struggle so hard. Keep on going - we've got your back!
Old 11-22-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

KeepingItReal - Welcome! I've received so much support and encouragement in this thread. For me the key to staying sober has been sharing what I'm doing, how I'm feeling, and being open to what others are doing that's working for them. It's taken my life in directions I never thought it would take, to a place better than I ever imagined it could be.

Building on Saskia's advice, when I had cravings I tried to remember that all I had to do was get through today, this part of the day, or even this moment, without alcohol.

I built incremental strength in my sober legs with each moment. Eventually my cravings stopped.

WWS - How was the rest of your weekend? It sure sounds like you're reaching that point where cravings mostly subside. I know, it didn't seem like it would be possible at first, at least not for me, til I got there. Like you, I didn't want to get complacent. I STILL don't. I've seen over and over that alcoholism is a cunning, baffling and powerful force.

Saskia - I like your visualization technique for overcoming cravings.

Fradley - What an amazing change you've noticed in yourself. Hey, I don't know if things happen for a reason, or if we just need to make the best of things that happen, but either way you look at it, your perspective on it is inspirational. You can see the transition from the self centered active alcoholic that many of us saw in ourselves to someone who can responsibly handle one of life's bumps.

Inc - So well put about life's curveballs. Thank you so much for sharing that.

Amp - Sounds like you had a nice weekend without the wines. It truly has gotten easier and easier for me. Last night at the hotel where the families were staying for the hockey tournament there was a lot of wine flowing. It didn't appeal to me at all.

Toots - Hello and good to hear from you.

BoozeFree - Congrats on 30 days! I am grateful you continue to let us have your back. Take care of that shoulder.

I felt a whole lot less angsty at the hockey tournament than I did at the ones I went to earlier in recovery. I'm becoming a lot less awkward expressing that I don't drink, as well. I was able to confidentially express that I don't drink in a way that shows that it isn't open to further discussion, but shows that I am completely interested in getting to know everyone. And I went to my room when I was done.

Successes make me grow incrementally, but I know that as an alcoholic, I can't afford to be complacent. I'll have 21 months sober tomorrow, but next weekend is another tournament, and I'll go at it at 21 months the same as I did early on - with a plan on how to enjoy myself, and how to take care of myself if I feel any challenges.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Good for you KIR!
Those moments come out of the blue and without reason. Real fun. But they can be therapeutic and revitalizing.

Don't be shocked if you get angry for no reason, stressed, feeling overwhelmed. It's a good sign. Your neurons and chemical makeup is balancing out. You don't have to be an every day drinker to mess with your GABA and Dopamine system. Repetition is what our bodies respond to. A regular pattern of drinking will cause your system to set itself up for the overall average.

Just know this. You feel better afterwards, right? More content in the least? No matter how stressed, how angry, how sad, how bored, how excited you get....there's joy and peace that follows. As long as you do ONE thing....don't drink!

Congrats on another day. Every hour counts and you just out together 24 of them!!!
Old 11-22-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Love your attitude and approach, Glee! I know I can't ever drop all vigilance though it's not so all-consuming now :-)
Old 11-23-2015, 02:57 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

((BF)) awesome 30! Congrats to you!
Hey everyone!
Stressful family holiday gathering yesterday. Already I felt beat up from I'm guessing PAWS and all the other death gripping emotions that are ripping my insides up! Drinking flows heavily there all before 11 am. Wine, whiskey, and beer going strong when we arrived. Everyone except me, my husband, and children were pouring in the cheer. It was always my reason to get smashed too. Yearly family gathering of dysfunction. Being in a room full of family who are actually strangers and you see them once a year but they want to act like they know you and love you. They all asked about my fb posts. I post recovery things and I'll say I'm grateful for 126 days, but I haven't came out on fb. Only because I don't want it to affect my job or people I work with. Some know but I don't broadcast it yet on fb. So I told them I don't drink anymore. They asked if I was drinking too much and I said yes. That was about it. Moved on. They said they were happy for me and moved on.
Anyway the next celebration will be just as hard and I know my husband will drink there. It's his family so he won't feel like he has to shield me from anything there. It's not jus responsibility anyway. Feeling a little more "up" now so I think I'm finding better tools to help me through paws and overwhelming emotions sometimes it just is what it is. Have a wonderful day! ((Hug))!
Old 11-23-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Well done C on getting through a difficult day. Sometimes it's like that. Stuff comes along and you know it's going to be a tough test. At least there is a finite time limit on these things. Grin and bear it and they do finally pass.

I'm a bit worried about Christmas. 3 days at my brother's house in a village outside London. Need to get my strategies to n order!
Old 11-23-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Key, happy to hear you made it through the family gathering. It still amazes me when I think about how many dysfunctional families there are. These early months can be a real challenge but just remember that it really does get easier - in my case it was gradually over time. As someone else posted, we learn to strengthen and flex our sober muscles.

Amp, a plan is always good! I still do a quick mental check before I go anywhere there might be alcohol. I expect that will be a long-term process for me.

The holidays are, I think, the roughest time for most of us. We'll get through them together!
Old 11-23-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Hello all. I suppose I'll jump in where I fit in. 28 days into my 3rd dry spell this year. Never joined an accountability/peer-thread before so here I am (something different). I get to work a little today (yay). BIL needs some roof leaks fixed so I'm happy to oblige. T'will satisfy my yearning to tear sumpin up and re-build it right (yay). Read a recent study (on happiness) somewhere that said construction workers are the happiest, least stressed folks on the planet as they get to see,feel the results of their efforts daily. I suppose they never interviewed the out-of-work drinking ones (or the drinking-themselves-out-of-work ones)
Old 11-23-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome zombob

D
Old 11-23-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Hi Zombob! Nice to see you! Welcome to the thread!
Old 11-23-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
WWS - How was the rest of your weekend? It sure sounds like you're reaching that point where cravings mostly subside. I know, it didn't seem like it would be possible at first, at least not for me, til I got there. Like you, I didn't want to get complacent. I STILL don't. I've seen over and over that alcoholism is a cunning, baffling and powerful force.
My weekend is going well! Today is my last day for a long weekend. No real cravings so far. I do remember the last time I quit when I caved in to a monster craving at about the three month to 100 day mark and resumed drinking for a couple of months. I know I'm not out of the woods yet and do not want to go back to that at all. So far I feel on track to stay sober and it is my number one priority.

Boozefree congratulations on 30 days!

Key good for getting through your family gathering without the booze. That has to be hard with all of the booze flowing and you did it. I whish you the best for your next one! Yes you have to be careful on facebook. Some things are none of other people's, especially coworkers, business.

Keepnitreal' good job getting through your hectic day without drinking!

Welcome zombob!
Old 11-23-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Welcome to the thread, Zombob! Always room for another one :-)

Key, I second what WWS said about Facebook. I am friends with some of my sober buddies on FB but never refer to my alcoholism there. Once posted, it can come back to bite you later, for example, if you are applying for a job. We never know what we might regret in the future so for me, careful is important.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

I agree. I don't go into addiction issues on social media.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

I sometimes re-post recovery sayings or quotes, but that's about it. If I post about my gratefulness I'll put in "Grateful for 126 days" along with other grateful sentences...but never really specify what the days are for. It could be anything as far as they know. I don't want it to become an issue unless I make it one. Not an issue but you know what I mean.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Happy Monday to all-

Key- great job dealing with social situations. I think the holidays are going to be tough for many of us...especially newbs. I'm sure you have a plan that will make it easy AMP.

glee fan-great advice! Thank you so much for taking the time!

Congrats on 30 days sober ...Boozefree!

Welcome Zombob. I'm new here too, but have found such a great group of people that have so much wisdom to share to help us on our journey.

Today is the start of day 15. I plan on rocking this one! :-)

Good morning Dee!